• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Dimension |OT| not Lego Dimensions

OT looks great, good job. I'm actually really looking forward to this game since I tend to love these hybrid RPG games from Japan that nobody (I hope I am wrong on this) buys. Unfortunate that we get it much later than you guys, but hey, I can wait, a month isn't that bad.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Finished my first playthrough a few days ago. Not starting New Game plus yet.

Will write more if I have the time and feel like it but I think the game is greatly constrained and restricted by its budget. You can really tell that the budget for this game isn't high. The game is also rather short and the stages that I have played are mostly nothing special. The random traitor mechanic turned out to be quite a disappointment as it kind of becomes inconsequential as to who the traitors are and the "minigame" of following the words to "catch" the person you're doing a deep dive with is just boring and pointless.

If you're budget is tight or have other games you would want to buy, get those first.

pariah164

It's time.

APFU770.jpg
Let's kick this pig.

pariah164

I think it's hilarious that if you download the costumes separately, they're free, but to buy them all at once, it's $5.99.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's hilarious that if you download the costumes separately, they're free, but to buy them all at once, it's $5.99.

Lol...The cost of not having to deal with the PS3 and Vita download list 11 times might just be worth it for some people.

pariah164

Lol...The cost of not having to deal with the PS3 and Vita download list 11 times might just be worth it for some people.
It's not so bad, IMO. I did it 22 times to get all the hairstyles in Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus. Besides, it may be one purchase, but still be 11 downloads.

StereoVsn

How is performance on Vita vs PS3? I'd rather get it on the portable but if load times are bad might as well go PS3 side. I just don't want to download 16 DLCs for the wrong platform.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
It's not so bad, IMO. I did it 22 times to get all the hairstyles in Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus. Besides, it may be one purchase, but still be 11 downloads.

Yeah. I think there's about 16 or 18 free DLCs for now for this game.

How is performance on Vita vs PS3? I'd rather get it on the portable but if load times are bad might as well go PS3 side. I just don't want to download 16 DLCs for the wrong platform.
Played the Vita version. It has very short loading during battles when you use special abilites(or gifts as they're called). It can be weird and distracting to some. And it's actually a load screen. Not sure if the PS3 has those load screens.

Alright, I might actually have a chance to pick it up today, so I called my local EBGames and they said they got an e-mail that said the shipments for Lost Dimension have been delayed for all retailers Canada-wide lol, but I called my local collector's game shop and they have a few copies in so I'll just get it there. Rather support them anyway.

Who is the composer, because the music sounds really Persona 2ish.

I tried looking it up and I couldn't find any info anywhere. Could somebody who's played the Japanese version or who has gotten to the credits in the English version maybe shed some light on this. I'm actually curious about this myself.

Dot-N-Run

I can't wait until amazon ships my order in. I was worried for a moment that I would miss out on the free dlc, but then remembered that you are still able to download it from the store despite not owning the game, so I am doing that now. The whole 10 item limit in your cart for the PS store is making it a bit more of a pain than it needs to be though, although I suppose I really only need to "purchase" the dlc for the ps3 version...

Is the paid DLC largely as useless as it looks (ie Pay to Win done incredibly poorly) ?

It looks like you're paying for some pretty small bonuses, that only work once at that. Does it t least reset for each game ?

Weiss

Banned
So I booted it for a couple minutes.

Is it just me or is the picture quality really fuzzy? The character portraits are super pixelated.

The game sound interesting. I have two questions though.

1. So what happens if you don't find the traitor? Does it sabotage you in the end or something?

2. Is the Vita version as good as the PS3 version?

Looking forward to playing this, waiting for my Vita version to be delivered. Its going to be a nice break from all the VNs I've been playing on it lol.

The game sound interesting. I have two questions though.

1. So what happens if you don't find the traitor? Does it sabotage you in the end or something?

2. Is the Vita version as good as the PS3 version?

Re 1:
You end up having to fight any traitors you didn't find, and the ghosts of any innocent people you killed. So yeah makes things a bit more difficult

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
RPGfan review:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Lost_Dimension/index.html

Sounds really interesting, and had my eye on it from awhile ago. I just hope it doesnt become Atlus rare too soon.

However — and this is a big caveat — the identities of the traitors make almost no difference within the narrative. The characters' individual motivations for turning on you are basically nonexistent, and nobody reacts in a unique way when certain characters die. The dialogue following an execution is static, with people vaguely mourning the "loss of a comrade," and they spend the rest of the game referring to their fallen allies with nondescript language. I was hugely disappointed when I realized that my teammates were nothing more than a set of variables in the game's code. If X dies, then Y gets her powers, and life goes on.

This is a problem that I have with the game. And the review is also right to say that your allies don't really interact with each other. They kind of just interact with you and even in group scenes they're not really talking to each other but just talking.

It reminds me of Imageepoch's Final Promise Story permanent death mechanic.

I've never managed to get the wrong traitor so I don't really have a feel about how that plays out.

Teknoman

That does kinda suck, the whole traitor mechanic should have had more of an effect on everyone / gameplay if thats the case.

This is a problem that I have with the game. And the review is also right to say that your allies don't really interact with each other. They kind of just interact with you and even in group scenes they're not really talking to each other but just talking.

It reminds me of Imageepoch's Final Promise Story permanent death mechanic.

I've never managed to get the wrong traitor so I don't really have a feel about how that plays out.

Its really not possible to do it properly though. With 11 potential traitors of which 5 will be traitors you're looking at 55440 possibilities (many of those are changes in order but it doesn't matter since if you're handling things well that would still matter). In addition to all those possibilities you need different reactions for each of the 30240 combinations of not traitors. Its only possible to do something like this non-generically by fixing the vast majority of traitors (even if only the last two are random you're still looking at over 2000 dialogue variants you'd need to write). .

UberTag

In other words, if you're looking for a game where party deaths have consequence, we should be looking at Danganronpa and not Lost Dimension.

Weiss

Banned
So what's the proper way to suss out a traitor? I've used up three Vision Points on the second stratum and I don't want to already screw myself over.

Weiss

Banned
Okay so I did a Deep Vision and the character is now labeled as a Suspect. Should I pursue trying to make everyone think he's the traitor?

Seda

So what's the proper way to suss out a traitor? I've used up three Vision Points on the second stratum and I don't want to already screw myself over.

I posted with more detail above but in short:

1. Clear missions with varying party compositions
  2. See where the suspicious voices were and use deduction to isolate those characters
  3. Use Vision Points on suspicious characters to determine which is a traitor

Okay so I did a Deep Vision and the character is now labeled as a Suspect. Should I pursue trying to make everyone think he's the traitor?

Yes.

Edit: The only reason you may want to keep a traitor alive a little longer is to get their character quest, but you need two playthroughs to do all of those anyway.

Weiss

Banned
I posted with more detail above but in short:

1. Clear missions with varying party compositions
  2. See where the suspicious voices were and use deduction to isolate those characters
  3. Use Vision Points on suspicious characters to determine which is a traitor

Yes.

Edit: The only reason you may want to keep a traitor alive a little longer is to get their character quest, but you need two playthroughs to do all of those anyway.

Thanks. I see the rankings at the end of each mission for who's most likely to to be voted, so I'll try to manipulate them. From what I understand that's through telling people you suspect them, not using them in battle, and having them shoot party members.

Seda

Thanks. I see the rankings at the end of each mission for who's most likely to to be voted, so I'll try to manipulate them. From what I understand that's through telling people you suspect them, not using them in battle, and having them shoot party members.

Supposedly there's some influence from battles, like, having one character use items on another will make them less likely to vote against each other...

but in my experience that's negligible compared to the answers you give when characters ask for input.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Its really not possible to do it properly though. With 11 potential traitors of which 5 will be traitors you're looking at 55440 possibilities (many of those are changes in order but it doesn't matter since if you're handling things well that would still matter). In addition to all those possibilities you need different reactions for each of the 30240 combinations of not traitors. Its only possible to do something like this non-generically by fixing the vast majority of traitors (even if only the last two are random you're still looking at over 2000 dialogue variants you'd need to write). .

Yeah. It's basically impossible to do.

In other words, if you're looking for a game where party deaths have consequence, we should be looking at Danganronpa and not Lost Dimension.

Yup.

Z3M0G

Are all the free DLCs tiny unlock codes only? I didn't know about them and now I'm at work... and would like to download them over my phone data.

Finally picked it up, I hope to get a chance to get a little playtime in later today.

Supposedly there's some influence from battles, like, having one character use items on another will make them less likely to vote against each other...

but in my experience that's negligible compared to the answers you give when characters ask for input.
So taking advantage of assist has no effect on trust?

I think it /does/ but not to any worthwhile extent. Basically I just fought battles without thinking or caring about 'trust' and the post-battle questions are plenty enough to sway votes.
Okay, well that's good to know. I don't have to worry about accomodating my battle strategies for trust levels then.

Coppanuva

Looks like you can download the free DLC even without owning the game. I'm planning to pick it up at some point in the future, but grabbed the DLC now in case I don't have it by end of the promotion.

Shizuka

What are the recommended free DLC I should download? I don't want to download them all, I don't have enough space and my download list is huge as it is. Also, can I save before I choose who's the traitor and reset the game if I get it wrong?

Z3M0G

What are the recommended free DLC I should download? I don't want to download them all, I don't have enough space and my download list is huge as it is. Also, can I save before I choose who's the traitor and reset the game if I get it wrong?

Most dlc are likely just unlock codes. You already have all the content in the game install. Thats how all the free dlc has been so far.

Top Bottom