• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Dimension |OT| not Lego Dimensions

Weiss

Banned
I'm liking this a lot more than I thought I would. Swapping your characters to suss out the traitor is really intriguing, although the critics are right that the game falls short of say, Danganronpa, since the randomly generated traitors keep progression fresh at the cost of making the characters all spout really generic dialogue outside of their specific conversations and their Character Quests.

So, I have a question.

I see in the second (i believe) story mission, there is a glowing item on the ground behind a blue glowing floaty wall thing, how do I get past that?

I tried using the teleport kid thinking he'd be able to walk through it, but that didn't work out...

pariah164

Impression time, now that I'm a couple hours in.

I kind of love this game so far. The battle system is relatively easy (counter-attacks and assists can get fucked, but fair is fair), and I'm nowhere near as lost as I feared I would be.

As in most JRPGs I enjoy, the characters make this game. I may not connect with them like I did the cast of DR or DR 2, but there are definitely some that I like, and others that just rub me the wrong way.

On the positive side, we have Himeno and Agito:

PgVRgLM.jpg
wqpV6cr.jpg
And of course, Mana. Mana is my spirit animal.

Dat costume doe...

On the negative end... This damn kid.

Place your bets that he's got Linkin Park or My Chemical Romance blasting in those headphones. Seriously, he annoys me the most and I hope he bites it soon. The rest of the characters are not that bad, and in fact are rather interesting.

All in all, $27 well spent, so far.

So, I have a question.

I see in the second (i believe) story mission, there is a glowing item on the ground behind a blue glowing floaty wall thing, how do I get past that?

I tried using the teleport kid thinking he'd be able to walk through it, but that didn't work out...
Use Nagi. She can fly over the wall.

You know, I thought nah,
it won't be Nagi
, it would be stupid if
she can go over the wall
, it must be the teleport guy haha

Seda

You might notice some walls with glowing objects behind them. Those are obtained on a second playthrough.

You might notice some walls with glowing objects behind them. Those are obtained on a second playthrough.

Oh okay, because I tried
using Nagi to fly over the wall/barrier and it didn't work.
So just don't worry about it for now then?

Edit: Also, during the comraderie talks, do your specific choices have a lot of impact? Is it like S.Links in persona where you want to say the right things?

Seda

Oh okay, because I tried
using Nagi to fly over the wall/barrier and it didn't work.
So just don't worry about it for now then?

Correct.

Edit: Also, during the comraderie talks, do your specific choices have a lot of impact? Is it like S.Links in persona where you want to say the right things?

I don't think they matter too much. Occasionally, like before their character quest, you need to pick a certain option to unlock the quest. However, if you pick the wrong option, you can talk to them again immediately (and pick the right option this time) so it's no loss at all.

pariah164

I don't think they matter too much. Occasionally, like before their character quest, you need to pick a certain option to unlock the quest. However, if you pick the wrong option, you can talk to them again immediately (and pick the right option this time) so it's no loss at all.
Do the character quests start right away? Don't think I got any during chapter 1.

Seda

Do the character quests start right away? Don't think I got any during chapter 1.

First possible quest is in part 3, most in part 4.

Edit: I should also note that charater quests can only be done once (per playthrough) so if you are looking for those S ranks..

Reveirg

Still waiting for my copy from Amazon :(

This and Sen No Kiseki are the last PS3 JRPGs right? (That don't have a superior version on PS4)

Really looking forward to playing this.

Z3M0G

So ive done 3 main story missions and a few side missions. I hope things pick up soon. Combat is fun so far. Game runs roughly on Vita, but it is pretty. Nice character models. Appreciating the localization. But i need more character depth. They dont say much between missions. And id like some kind of grid showing my relationship progress with each, since you can only grow your relationship with 2 characters between each mission, it is difficult to balance them by memory.

What are the recommended free DLC I should download? I don't want to download them all, I don't have enough space and my download list is huge as it is. Also, can I save before I choose who's the traitor and reset the game if I get it wrong?

The game auto saves constantly, so if you want to save scum you'll need to backup your save externally, either to the cloud or to a USB device.

Still waiting for my copy from Amazon :(

This and Sen No Kiseki are the last PS3 JRPGs right? (That don't have a superior version on PS4)

Really looking forward to playing this.

Has it shipped though? EBGames claimed it was delayed Canada-wide (and for all retailers), but I was able to pick it up at my local retro game shop.

Z3M0G

Ok... this is getting interesting. I don't believe it's possible to control the outcome of
the first trial
, but things are sure to get more involved from here on.

The writing around this event felt... weird... I must say though.
A complete break of character in the end
? Edit: Wait, was
he really a traitor
? I didn't think so...

The game has my attention. I wish it ran better on the Vita... how is performance on the PS3? Choppy as well?

squadr0n

Ive been watching a few videos of this since its look like a Cyberpunk Valkyria Chronicles, but I havent seen any places for people to take cover when waiting. Kinda makes the shooting pretty boring, VC and Xcom has cover and Resonance of Fate had their sick jump mechanic.

Does this game not have cover systems in place at all?

Ok... this is getting interesting. I don't believe it's possible to control the outcome of
the first trial
, but things are sure to get more involved from here on.

The writing around this event felt... weird... I must say though.
A complete break of character in the end
? Edit: Wait, was
he really a traitor
? I didn't think so...

The game has my attention. I wish it ran better on the Vita... how is performance on the PS3? Choppy as well?
It isn't possible to control that outcome. I found the PS3 version much smoother than the Vita one but it does have a couple of hiccups. It's a shame because I was impressed with how good it looks on the Vita's screen.

I'm tempted to go through it again on the Vita on holiday, regardless. #TeamNagi <3

Ive been watching a few videos of this since its look like a Cyberpunk Valkyria Chronicles, but I havent seen any places for people to take cover when waiting. Does this game not have cover systems in place at all? Kinda makes the shooting pretty boring, VC and Xcom has cover and Resonance of Fate had their sick jump mechanic.
The combat isn't like Valkyria Chronicles or Xcom much at all. It's a fully turn based RPG with character movement. It's not really that different from your standard SRPG except you freely move characters around without a grid.

Ive been watching a few videos of this since its look like a Cyberpunk Valkyria Chronicles, but I havent seen any places for people to take cover when waiting. Kinda makes the shooting pretty boring, VC and Xcom has cover and Resonance of Fate had their sick jump mechanic.

Yeah, it does not have a cover system, but it doesn't need it. VC and XCOM were built with a cover system in mind so it works for those, but LD wasn't and it works without.

Z3M0G

That's why I didn't get the VC comparisons at first... there is no cover/auto defend in this game... where you get shot at while moving around. This feels more like a free-movement (ie: non-block style) version of Fire Emblem and such.

JPS Kai

That's why I didn't get the VC comparisons at first... there is no cover/auto defend in this game... where you get shot at while moving around. This feels more like a free-movement (ie: non-block style) version of Fire Emblem and such.

The assist links and unit placement reminded more along the lines of Natural Doctrine, only with (thankfully) less action chaining.

Shizuka

Nice that they use binaural audio for the dialogue when you're using a headphone. Should I be taking down the enemies fast or scavenging the map before defeating them?

Weiss

Banned
So I'm in the Fourth Stratum and I've figured out the traitor, but from what I understand
you have to erase two people on this floor. Do I need to search for a second traitor or do I just pick a sacrifice?

Shizuka

Should I be taking down the enemies fast or scavenging the map before defeating them?

Also, do I have to clear optional missions for any trophy on my first playthrough or can I leave it for the second one? What carries over to the second one?

Weiss

Banned
__yes__

Do I have to do it right the beginning of the floor, or is there a prompt after I eliminate the first? I want to max out as many Camaraderie ranks and I still need to do that for the known traitor.

Seda

Also, do I have to clear optional missions for any trophy on my first playthrough or can I leave it for the second one? What carries over to the second one?

From what I recall.

For New Game +, you keep some of your skill points, specifically, the ones you get by leveling up, not the ones you get from main missions (did you notice characters you bring into some main missions get extra points?). You also keep /some/ of your money but not all. Any maxed Camaraderies will stay. Any S Ranks you got will still be marked as S Ranks. One of the trophies requires all S Ranks, and there are additional missions the second time through.

(To note: on my first playthrough I failed to get an S Rank with Mana's quest because I wasn't careful and didn't realize you can't replay it. I got it on the second time through easy, due to extra skills I had that time around.)

Do I have to do it right the beginning of the floor, or is there a prompt after I eliminate the first? I want to get as max out as many Camaraderie ranks and I still need to do that for the known traitor.

actual (somewhat) significant spoilers

For the 4th stratum, you carry out a judgement near the end as is normal. As soon as you kill a character, The End will force you to to kill a second. This actually caught me off guard the first time and I luckily picked the second traitor successfully.

Also to note, if you fail to catch a traitor earlier, I was able to 'make up for it' here. (On my second playthrough I intentionally left a traitor alive to get his mission. On this floor, only one new traitor was added instead of two, so I was able to get rid of them all.

I apologize if I'm junking up the thread, just trying to help.

I am enjoying this a whole hell of a lot. Yeah yeah, the budget is low so they can't have like really in depth interactions due to the random traitor nature but I'm still getting invested. If my Nagi turns out to be a traitor I'm starting a new damn game.

That said, while the battle system has a couple gripes I think I really REALLY enjoy the creativity of the abilities. I absolutely LOVE Zenji's Link and have been abusing it with fun combos and other stuff. They're just really smart ideas.

Those two are my mains. When my 2nd strata had both as possible traitors, I seriously got a lump in my throat. That's where the investment comes from. The dialogue is whatever so it gets you a bit into it, but when you become attached to a character due to the narrative you create when you use them in battle it makes it that much stronger when shit happens to them.

I also like Yoko's abilities, dropping a debuff on the bigger enemies helps a hell of a lot. My party at the moment is Sho, Mana, Yoko, Zenji, Himeno and Nagi. They clean house. Amusingly enough Sho is my weak link. Dude assists and criticals fine but has little in the way of active good abilities.

Am I right to assume that
Himeno will never be a traitor? I only ask this because she's the only one who's had dialogue that other characters specifically say her name on the 2nd and 3rd floors.
Could just be a red herring though as she probably
gives the combustion Materia

Weiss

Banned
I forgot to ask this in my previous question about the Fourth Stratum
Both traitors will show up in Vision searches, right?

EDIT: Alright, that's all the traitors. Now I just need to make sure I can get the votes.

why hello thar
mysterious white haired child

By the by, has anyone figured out an efficient way to collecting Lores, or is it just a matter of scouring every chest in the maps?

So
George is always the first traitor, is it?
Correct, but only on the first playthrough. On NG+ It's randomized.

Ah ha ha ha Jesus.

So I narrow down my traitor to a couple people, then I do Mana's Character Quest where she says
"If you were the traitor I'd join you."
and then do my VPs and find out
Mana is the traitor.

I guess this playthrough has been decided.

Top Bottom