• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

Alex

I'm in for it, hoping some of the retooling and a few Monster Hunterisms give it more of an interesting identity among so many of the fluff shooters and big budget titles this year. The visual presentation is sure incredible, at least.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
As far as I'm concerned this game doesn't exist until it gets a PC release. I'll save my hype for now.

AlStrong

AgentOtaku said:
- It looks like the 360 version is sporting some AA, whereas the PS3 version just doesn't have any

Yes. 2xMSAA. It's no longer dynamic versus previous Framework Engine games.

Ah, you know how these things go. Lost Planet isn't really a pick-up-and-play title, and in direct comparison to other third-person shooters, it does stick out like the proverbial ugly duckling in terms of ease of use.

Their loss, I say.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Ah, you know how these things go. Lost Planet isn't really a pick-up-and-play title, and in direct comparison to other third-person shooters, it does stick out like the proverbial ugly duckling in terms of ease of use.

Their loss, I say.

Yeah it's gonna be interesting to see how people take to the MP. Since the first LP we've had so many 3rd person shooters and this one controls the most uniquely and 'Japanese'. I'm expecting lots of frustration and rage from seasoned Gears players :lol

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Yeah it's gonna be interesting to see how people take to the MP. Since the first LP we've had so many 3rd person shooters and this one controls the most uniquely and 'Japanese'. I'm expecting lots of frustration and rage from seasoned Gears players :lol

I think that's what throws a lot of people...there's a lot more in the way of movement nuance than most other shooters. Couple that with some rather unique features and grenades that would put any Reach grenade to shame and you've got dummy-spit territory encroaching on the *real gamers*.

Plus, you'd have to be brachycephalic not to appreciate online with so many cool mechs.

cryptic

Pylon_Trooper said:

Their loss, I say.
I read the review just a few minutes ago in OPM. Complaints seem valid.

-weak story that doesn't develop, focuses more on stats as in that's the real incentive
-no main protagonist to anchor the plot, feel's like a series of rooms because of this
-getting shot freezes you in place and you can't dive or heal while like this
-weapons feel underpowered, emptying full clip head on doesn't typically kill an enemy
-weird controls: hold start to heal, triangle and l1 to switch between grenades and ally healing gun, pounding the triangle button to switch weapons sometimes unresponsive
-little variation in terms of mission objectives, mjority of game spent activating and defending data posts
-huge monster battles amazing at first but when it's the same thing for ten minutes it becomes tedious
-when things in campaign finally do start to pick up, loading screens and end of mission stats menus popping up kill things
-can only save at the end of a complete chapter and not mission(chapter take's on average thirty minutes)
-ai sucks solo and you can't play co-op until you've advanced to the same area as your co-op partner aka beat new chapter single player unlock new chapter in co-op

multi:

-getting shot still paralyzes you
confusing objectives:
-two-vs.-all VIP mode fugitives must survive a certain amount of time but the time isn't displaye don the screen
-CTF players must wander blindly until they find the data post
-timed-hold the position mode, some maps have only one data point leading to crazy camping

Despite this they found it to be a blast when co-op finally got up and running.

Interesting review. I'm sort of okay with the campaign not really being...well...anything more than just fighting huge bugs and stat-leveling. I don't think we were expecting anything Hollywood-esque out of the LP writers. It's ludicrous enough as is.

I'm quite forgiving of the combat system and the whole shock aspect of getting hit. Considering there's such an emphasis on movement, it places a premium on effective direction.

As far as the weapons go, I can see where people are coming from. It does indeed take a fair amount of bullets on the stock machine gun to take a guy down, but I think that's where the tandem of MG + Grenade comes in.

But yeah, looking forward to more reviews.

eso76

cryptic said:
-weapons feel underpowered, emptying full clip head on doesn't typically kill an enemy

oh noes : \
This was my main gripe with the first. Game was good enough, but shooting down hundreds of bugs wasn't really fun or rewarding since it took far too long to kill each.

LP always stunned you when shot but you could jump or roll away if good enough, and the LP2 demo was the same, I guess the OPM reviewer did not understand the methods of escape?

I feel that because LP1 did well Capcom went too overboard with this sequel, it's a completely different beast for what I have read and seen so far to the point where they lost the plot, they got big bosses and monsters which were a highlight of the original but then the rest seems like they put "too much" effort and thought into it, breaking it all.

LP1 mp was also mostly about pinning down the other team and going for the 1hit weapons like sniper and rockets, the demo shows this is still in full effect via grenade spam. Lost Planet is a love it or hate it relationship.

I might double dip on this fucker just to get in on all the communities.

Please god allow me time to sink into this game like I did the first one.

Is the PC version also released at the same time? Will that one have actual servers...?

Llyranor

cryptic said:
you can't play co-op until you've advanced to the same area as your co-op partner aka beat new chapter single player unlock new chapter in co-op
What? Does this mean you have to play singleplayer first? Or can you start at the beginning in co-op and unlock the missions as you both progress at the same time together?

geebee

Banned
Is it sad that the thing I'm most looking forward to is character customization? I really like the character designs and spent hours on end leveling up in the original just to unlock the different character models to use online.

I'm Looking forward to shooting the shit out of the ugly Gears of War characters.. :lol

burgerdog

cryptic said:
-ai sucks solo and you can't play co-op until you've advanced to the same area as your co-op partner aka beat new chapter single player unlock new chapter in co-op
What the fuck does this mean? I need to beat an sp level before I can play it coop?

cryptic

Llyranor said:
What? Does this mean you have to play singleplayer first? Or can you start at the beginning in co-op and unlock the missions as you both progress at the same time together?

Correct on the latter. When you beat a single player mission you unlock that mission for co-op play.

I'm really not sure about this game. I played the co-op demo and loved it, but saw how it wouldn't be for everyone. It actually inspired me to buy the original game, as I assumed the mediocre scores it received were because it was so unusual.

Turns out they were because it was awful.

I bought it for the single player, hoping it would be a heavily boss battle based like the coop demo, but of course there are only about three such fun bits in an otherwise clumsy and joyless game.

For those who've played it already, does LP2 persue the big boss battle angle as per the coop demo (the trailers seemed to suggest this)? I can imagine it being a lot of fun if so. If it's just like the first one I'll know to stay well clear.

Llyranor

cryptic said:
Correct on the latter. When you beat a single player mission you unlock that mission for co-op play.
Not sure that you mean, since the latter part of my post is "you start at the beginning in co-op and unlock the missions as you both progress at the same time together", which would imply that you can play full co-op from the getgo (just can't skip missions with players farther ahead).

Llyranor said:
Not sure that you mean, since the latter part of my post is "you start at the beginning in co-op and unlock the missions as you both progress at the same time together", which would imply that you can play full co-op from the getgo (just can't skip missions with players farther ahead).

Yeah, considering this is LP2 primary hook, I highly doubt Capcom would do something so stupid.

cryptic

Llyranor said:

Sorry, good news, I hope I read it wrong, offline co-op progression should be good.

"So is planet 2 worth playing solo? Yes, but not because of the useless artificial intelligence-controlled buddies or the mediocre shooting. Instead, we muddled through the singleplayer in order to get to the co-op play-it's impossible to join a friend's game unless both players have unlocked the mission they're tackling together."

Llyranor

That's still very vague and cryptic. The real important issue is whether mission1 is unlocked in co-op from the getgo, and whether playing in co-op also unlocks the missions as you go through them. As it's written, it could have just been that one player was further ahead, and they're just whining about the other not being able to just instantly join in. This is something that a properly written article would have had no issue clarifying.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure you can play through the whole game co-op from Chapter 1 if needed.

Seems bizarre that Capcom would take such a back-step after RE5 got that aspect so right.

dorkimoe

havent played the mp demo since like the first day i got it. i loved the first one, just gotta get back into enjoying this. Was getting frustrated by the fact your gun stops shooting when you run at an angle backwards, i forgot about that

Interesting discussion thus far, heroes. I also don't think Capcom would have buggered up the co-op by making people play single player through first.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
It's really not hard to understand. You can play through the entire game co-op, you just can't join someone's game who's on a level you haven't reached yet. It makes perfect sense.

I'm also looking forward to this...but I'm not quite sold on it yet.

I want to wait for reviews, impressions from others, etc.

Hope it's fun though. If the multiplayer is considered excellent than I'd get it for sure.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Hope it's fun though. If the multiplayer is considered excellent than I'd get it for sure.

Probably this generation's most acquired taste as far as multiplayer goes, so you either love it or you hate it.

On the entire coop thing:

The game boots you into a multiplayer lobby the second you press "Campaign", and from there you invite your friends to play with you. There's nothing singleplayer about this game, it constantly reminds that this is a multiplayer experience, and the structure and lobby system reflects that.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Always-honest said:
doesn't sound like they listened to any complaint.. wtf?

If you're talking about the complaints about RE5's forced co-op, this isn't the same kind of game at all. You don't have to worry about inventory management or the AI wasting ammo, not to mention that it's not
supposed to be
a horror game. I don't think forced co-op is going to hurt the game at all.

If you're talking about the complaints about the original LP, those are invalid anyway because people who didn't like it have no taste.

luka said:
If you're talking about the complaints about the original LP, those are invalid anyway because people who didn't like it have no taste.

This man here...you others take note. He's a man you want backing you up. Goddamn, to have an army of men like him.

luka said:
If you're talking about the complaints about RE5's forced co-op, this isn't the same kind of game at all. You don't have to worry about inventory management or the AI wasting ammo, not to mention that it's not
supposed to be
a horror game. I don't think forced co-op is going to hurt the game at all.

i'm one of the few that really liked the first one. however, the game wasn't perfect and there ARE some issues that needed to be adressed. No need for irrational fundamentalist fanboy nonsense.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
cryptic said:
I read the review just a few minutes ago in OPM. Complaints seem valid.

-weak story that doesn't develop, focuses more on stats as in that's the real incentive
-no main protagonist to anchor the plot, feel's like a series of rooms because of this
-getting shot freezes you in place and you can't dive or heal while like this
-weird controls: hold start to heal, triangle and l1 to switch between grenades and ally healing gun, pounding the triangle button to switch weapons sometimes unresponsive
-little variation in terms of mission objectives, mjority of game spent activating and defending data posts
-huge monster battles amazing at first but when it's the same thing for ten minutes it becomes tedious
-when things in campaign finally do start to pick up, loading screens and end of mission stats menus popping up kill things
-can only save at the end of a complete chapter and not mission(chapter take's on average thirty minutes)

thank you.

wow , this is really bad :(

Always-honest said:
i'm one of the few that really liked the first one. however, the game wasn't perfect and there ARE some issues that needed to be adressed. No need for irrational fundamentalist fanboy nonsense.

Also, this man here...you others take note. He's a man you want backing you up. Goddamn, to have an army of men like him.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Rez said:
I'm sure you can play through the whole game co-op from Chapter 1 if needed.

Seems bizarre that Capcom would take such a back-step after RE5 got that aspect so right.
Coop is awesome in that. I can go into any game with my own weapon set up just like a Coop ARPG <3

Top Bottom