• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

Pylon_Trooper said:
Far from it, I was acknowledging the fact you enjoyed the first one. Many around here didn't.

Heh, I remember when I was voting on my 2007 GOTY on another site and picked Lost Planet just behind Mario Galaxy. Everyone else thought I was insane or joking :lol I was serious though, the first one is one of my favourites from this entire generation.

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Heh, I remember when I was voting on my 2007 GOTY on another site and picked Lost Planet just behind Mario Galaxy. Everyone else thought I was insane or joking :lol I was serious though, the first one is one of my favourites from this entire generation.
LOL. I liked the first one a lot, too.Cant wait to enjoy this Coop-Monster. Only <2 Weeks :) I hope there'll be a planet akrid or something bigger than capcom showed us.

Kuran said:
So is this going to be on Steam in May? Or is the PC version releasing later?
I think the pc version will release later this year. I heard sth. about september or october.

Look, we should wait for a few more reviews to arise before shucking off the idea of it being a complete back-turn on behalf on Capcom towards genuine requests by the fanbase.

I'm just hoping a bunch of us get it and really enjoy it. Let's be honest, the world needs more third-person games, and this franchise is definitely the most unique out there. We're getting some incredible-looking co-op, a bunch of ridiculously excellent mechs to play around in, a gazillion choices in player customisation and kit, ridiculous helmets, a very different and nuanced multiplayer set...so for all the flaws a lot of people might level at the game, it's one thing to come off the back of - say - Uncharted 2 with the critique barrels blazing and another to come from a veteran Lost Planet background and see what the go is.

LP combines a perfect mix of Third-Person and Mech action. Yeah, i loved the gameplay, and i had never problem with it. When i played the 3rd mission, and the giant worm appeared. It was scary as fuc*. You thought this thing is invincible. Together with Gears Lost Planet is the best Third Person Shooter on the market. So I'll ignore the ratings. The Coop Demo played like the first one, and it became directly a Day One Title for me.

ShutDown202 said:
So does anyone know if Wayne, Luca and Rick are gonna make an appearance in this?

A question worth asking. I'm working on the changes I'll make to the OP, when this baby shifts gears into the OFFICIAL THREAD, but someone else should know. I don't *think* they're in it, but there's a chance they might show as incidentals or as flashback material.

Pylon_Trooper said:
A question worth asking. I'm working on the changes I'll make to the OP, when this baby shifts gears into the OFFICIAL THREAD, but someone else should know. I don't *think* they're in it, but there's a chance they might show as incidentals or as flashback material.

I don't have a link unfortunately, but I'm pretty sure Capcom have said that none of the characters from the original are in the sequel. I don't think many people outside of Korea and to a lesser extent, Japan, knew that Wayne was modelled on a famous Korean actor anyway :lol

Llyranor

Vinterbird said:
On the entire coop thing:

The game boots you into a multiplayer lobby the second you press "Campaign", and from there you invite your friends to play with you. There's nothing singleplayer about this game, it constantly reminds that this is a multiplayer experience, and the structure and lobby system reflects that.
Perfect. All the chaos in the second page was all due to a poorly written article.

Hypertrooper said:
LP combines a perfect mix of Third-Person and Mech action. Yeah, i loved the gameplay, and i had never problem with it. When i played the 3rd mission, and the giant worm appeared. It was scary as fuc*. You thought this thing is invincible. Together with Gears Lost Planet is the best Third Person Shooter on the market. So I'll ignore the ratings. The Coop Demo played like the first one, and it became directly a Day One Title for me.

*high-five*

Canova

Banned
What I can't stand from the demo is how close the camera to the character?

Is there anyway to adjust the camera?

jax (old)

Banned
Ages ago. Grabbed the demo (1p game) and it was okay. Didn't really grab or wow me.

1 week ago. Grabbed the MP demo. The visuals are atrocious and sort of ugly and I played a bit and the gunplay/grappling stuff didn't grab me. Actually didn't even finish 1 round.

/unsold

Jax said:
Ages ago. Grabbed the demo (1p game) and it was okay. Didn't really grab or wow me.

1 week ago. Grabbed the MP demo. The visuals are atrocious and sort of ugly and I played a bit and the gunplay/grappling stuff didn't grab me. Actually didn't even finish 1 round.

/unsold
The mp demo was the worst idea that capcom could have. Many of my friends cancelled their preorders.

Hypertrooper said:
The mp demo was the worst idea that capcom could have. Many of my friends cancelled their preorders.

I can agree with that. Unless your a fan and knew what to expect gameplay wise, I could see how someone would be totally turned off by it's style. Shit, the MP doesn't even really appeal to me that much anymore.
They should have just put out an updated coop demo.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Hypertrooper said:
The problem with Lost Planet multi-player, is that you literally need to spend 5 hours or so playing it before it 'clicks' and you actually realise what you're supposed to be doing.

burgerdog

AgentOtaku said:
I can agree with that. Unless your a fan and knew what to expect gameplay wise, I could see how someone would be totally turned off by it's style. Shit, the MP doesn't even really appeal to me that much anymore.
They should have just put out an updated coop demo.

I rarely ever spend more than one hour playing the competitive multiplayer portion of games, so having a bad mp component is not a deal breaker for me. I can definitely see how this would make people cancel their preorders, the game is on track to be MTframework's ugliest game by fucking far when playing mp. The 360 version looks bad and the ps3 version is an abomination. Oh yeah, and the actual mp gameplay sucked, this one is not for everybody. I'm just hoping the coop graphics are as good as the previous two coop demos.

burgerdog said:
I rarely ever spend more than one hour playing the competitive multiplayer portion of games, so having a bad mp component is not a deal breaker for me. I can definitely see how this would make people cancel their preorders, the game is on track to be MTframework's ugliest game by fucking far when playing mp. The 360 version looks bad and the ps3 version is an abomination. Oh yeah, and the actual mp gameplay sucked, this one is not for everybody. I'm just hoping the coop graphics are as good as the previous two coop demos.
Yeah. The game looks really shitty in the MP. But the coop demo was so awesome.

Jungles are hard to do. Jungles that actually look convincing are even harder with only a few titles standing out in my mind of truly getting it right IE: Crysis, Far Cry, MGS3, and Uncharted1/2 are what I can immediately think of.

I don't quite know if it's the art or the technical specs that make LP2's jungle hit or miss (mostly miss).
Everything else we've seen (not jungle related) has looked fantastic though...

jax (old)

Banned
burgerdog said:

That's the thing about MTframework. I thought it was goodish in RE5 - and they're obviously pimping it in MvC3. I just didn't expect the demo to look so fucking ugly. I think choosing to release that MP demo was the worst decision they made in a long time. Isn't LP2 largely MP centric (even in the main game)? In 2010, after a tonne of shithot looking games, there's now a minimum bar on graphics for me and this game just ain't hitting that mark.

Jax said:
That's the thing about MTframework. I thought it was goodish in RE5 - and they're obviously pimping it in MvC3. I just didn't expect the demo to look so fucking ugly. I think choosing to release that MP demo was the worst decision they made in a long time. Isn't LP2 largely MP centric (even in the main game)? In 2010, after a tonne of shithot looking games, there's now a minimum bar on graphics for me and this game just ain't hitting that mark.

You play the coop demo? Specifically the PS3 version with the extra levels?
It's a good example of how the game can go from "ugh" looking (the 1st area), to "pretty good!" looking (the 2nd area), to "hell yeah! looking" (the Catagory G Akrid), all in one damn demo! :lol

Xater

AgentOtaku said:
It's a good example of how the game can go from "ugh" looking (the 1st area), to "pretty good!" looking (the 2nd area), to "hell yeah! looking" (the Catagory G Akrid), all in one damn demo! :lol

I would say that in last part only the Category G was impressive. The rest of the environment not so much.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Relix said:
This is the hype thread and it's just negative backslash :lol

For good reason: Lost Planet could be so much more if they didn't focus on "GRENADE OF PLANET: SPAM HARDER 2" and more the co-op element. :|

Oh, and fix the engine.

TheSeks said:
For good reason: Lost Planet could be so much more if they didn't focus on "GRENADE OF PLANET: SPAM HARDER 2" and more the co-op element. :|

Oh, and fix the engine.

Not the engine, it's their art.

Framework is a completely badass (and a demigod on PC) that has been utilized greatly up until now. Shit at least it took this long. How long did it take to realize UE3 had alot of problems in conveying certain things convincingly...People still scoff at the thought of a title using UE3. It's all about the art and talent...
I just think Capcom wanted to westernize LP2 even more than the 1st and maybe that rubbed off in the art direction/look.

TheSeks said:

Oh, and fix the engine.

Don't you come in here with them fightin' words before I've finished the official banner, goddamn. The grenade is as much a part of the machine gun as the machine gun is part of the grenade. Take THAT and put it in your zen milkshake.

USD

People whine about grenade spam, but there is a vast chasm in skill between noobs with 'nades and pros (read: Japanese players) with 'nades.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
They need to fix the whole "Im being shot in the head so i cant do shit"

Battles are turned into whoever gets the first shots to the head with any weapon wins, So of course it turns into grenade spam fest. LP1 MP was awesome LP2's is shit going by the demo. 1 bullet from any weapon shouldnt be able to disable you like that

Ill pick this up on the cheap for sure, But like others have said all my friends cancelled pre-orders as well so i dont have anyone to co op with so ill just pick it up when they do.

Pete Rock

Metalic Sand said:
LP1 MP was awesome LP2's is shit going by the demo.
The other part of the mp demo that was abysmal was the UI, aside from the stunlock mechanics and spawn-anywhere ffa option. Really difficult to imagine sinking any time into it after spending a couple days with Reach.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
AgentOtaku said:
It's a good example of how the game can go from "ugh" looking (the 1st area), to " meh!" looking (the 2nd area), to "average! looking" (the Catagory G Akrid), all in one damn demo! :lol
fixed:D

USD

Metalic Sand said:
They need to fix the whole "Im being shot in the head so i cant do shit"

Battles are turned into whoever gets the first shots to the head with any weapon wins, So of course it turns into grenade spam fest. LP1 MP was awesome LP2's is shit going by the demo.

1 bullet from any weapon shouldnt be able to disable you like that
The hit stun is weird, but the game would have to vastly different without it. With no way to regain health (except gaining a separate health by jumping into a mech, which isn't always an option), a normal firefight would result in one player dead and the winner on life support. I'd expect even more grenade spam in that case, since getting into a firefight would be more risky.

Klocker

I played hours upon hours of LP 1 multiplayer (and SP) and I deleted the LP2 MP demo after about an hour.... disappointed... not as attractive a game (miss the snow) and for some reason the game play now feels archaic compared to recent 3rd person games (ie Red Faction:G). and WTF Capcom? still no matchmaking element? lobbies suck.

as for SP, there is a market for that but I'm not it any more. Too many better experiences out there compared to 2007.

I'm reading a lot of people judging the entire game on a single map, and a rather small one at that!

USD said:
People whine about grenade spam, but there is a vast chasm in skill between noobs with 'nades and pros (read: Japanese players) with 'nades.

It's true...they really know how to work the grenades. But, like anything, it's how long you want to stick to something and learn.

---

New header/banner should be finished in a few hours. I'll PM a mod once it's done and we can turn this thing OFFICIAL!

So... I was a big fan of the original LP. Back when I got my 360 at the end of 06, I spent more time with the LP multiplayer demo then Gears :lol

Am I the only person here who liked the co-op and multiplayer demo's for this?

A lot of people are ranting about how ugly it looks... but it looks just fine to me!

Firestorm

I didn't play the multiplayer demo because I don't care about MP. Co-op demo sold me and the $40 launch price in Canada has my friends eager to jump in as well :)

Well, the OP is now reworked and I've fired off a PM to the honourable Red Scarlet for a thread title change. It's my first "Official..." thread, so I hope it's alright.

If anyone has anything else to add to the OP, let me know.

KTallguy

Banned
I am still really into the co-op in this game. I encourage people to give it more of a chance. Just because it doesn't play just like Gears or Uncharted, doesn't mean that it's not worth exploring or learning. And it might have a few visual rough edges, but the game has great animation and effects. I really think people focus too much on graphics nowadays.

Firestorm

Dunno if this is useful info, but for those who want to know where to buy it:

Canada
EB Games: Pre-order the game and you have 7 days to play the game and return it if you don't want it for full credit back ($64.99+tax). You also get two exclusive maps. You can also trade 3 games with a trade-in value of $8 or more and get it fully paid off or trade in 5 games worth $8 or more and get it + Skate 3 or Prince of Persia fully paid off
Rogers Plus: Trade 2 selected titles and get the game fully paid off
Wal-Mart: $39.83 + tax (probably will be matched by Best Buy and Future Shop)

If you live in Canada, you should not be paying full MSRP for this game.

Firestorm said:
Dunno if this is useful info, but for those who want to know where to buy it:

Canada
EB Games: Pre-order the game and you have 7 days to play the game and return it if you don't want it for full credit back ($64.99+tax)
Rogers Plus: Trade 2 selected titles and get the game fully paid off
Wal-Mart: $39.96 (probably will be matched by Best Buy and Future Shop)

If you live in Canada, you should not be paying full MSRP for this game.

I shall add this wonderful snippet for the Canucks to the OP.

Xater

And the review from the other big German magazine Gamepro: 82%

The most important stuff:

- Co-op is great
- Singleplayer is meh
- Versus is meh
- The AI sucks
- Framerate problems on both systems, but they are worse on the PS3

is there matchmaking for co-op? i dislike the server browsing bullshit of clicking on what appears to be a lobby with an open slot only to be told it is full and then booted all the way back to start another search.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Lost Planet 2 Kill Big Launch Event
May 6th, 8pm-Midnight
Roosevelt Hotel
7000 Hollywood Boulevard
Los Angeles, Ca 90028

Gonna be going to this on Thursday. Btw, does anyone know where I can find one of the oversized Giant Salamander plush toys?

Xater said:
And the review from the other big German magazine Gamepro: 82%

The most important stuff:

- Co-op is great
- Singleplayer is meh
- Versus is meh
- The AI sucks
- Framerate problems on both systems, but they are worse on the PS3

Good to go then!

Added the Kill Big event to the OP. Finally saw Avatar last night, and the cheesy message was lost on me, as all I thought was "Man, to hunt everything and everyone in these jungles with grenades, mechs and grappling hooks. Good timing, Capcom, GOOD TIMING!"

Top Bottom