• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

Good call on the Avatar comparison- especially with the jungle environments.

I flicked through the latest OXM (Australia) and they gave the game 8/10. They mentioned something about the last area/environment, which I don't think we've seen, being "amazing".

Poimandres said:
Good call on the Avatar comparison- especially with the jungle environments.

I flicked through the latest OXM (Australia) and they gave the game 8/10. They mentioned something about the last area/environment, which I don't think we've seen, being "amazing".

Keenness at an all-time high! If we can start to get some direct quotes from these mags, I'll start adding them to the review section in the OP, rather than just wait for Metacritic to start rolling out the rest of the reviews.

ShogunX

Whats the deal with the Gears of War characters? Are they competitive multiplayer only or can you use them for co-op/Single Player and are they DLC or on the disc?

Would prefer to go through the game with Marcus Phoenix if I can :D.

It costs 400MSPoint. The games is out here in germany.(Or tomorrow) The official german release is 7. May. But i pre-ordered the game over zavvi, so i'll get it next week.

Shogun PaiN said:
Whats the deal with the Gears of War characters? Are they competitive multiplayer only or can you use them for co-op/Single Player and are they DLC or on the disc?

Would prefer to go through the game with Marcus Phoenix if I can :D.

From what I understand, you can use them from the get-go in both online and offline, co-op and competitive.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Pylon_Trooper said:
From what I understand, you can use them from the get-go in both online and offline, co-op and competitive.

Woah :O

I didn't know that .. thanks

Stink said:

Synopsis: they love the multiplayer, but have a love/hate relationship with the campaign, claiming that the game is too hard and frustrating in singleplayer due to AI teammates dying and eating up all your battle gauge points, and when you do play it in multiplayer, say the bosses are too easy as long as you conserve your battle gauge and that it's just a war of attrition.

They love the level designs and the crazy bosses/mechs.

You'll win eventually, but it mostly feels like a hollow victory based on how well you conserved your Battle Gauge points prior to the boss fight, rather than your skill in the conclusive battle. This is definitely no Monster Hunter.

Could be that the reviewer just sucks at the game and was unable to beat the bosses except through attrition, but it also could be valid. The co-op demo I thought was definitely winnable through skillful play on the players' part. We'll see, i'm still planning on getting it.

ArjanN

wayward archer said:
Synopsis: they love the multiplayer, but have a love/hate relationship with the campaign, claiming that the game is too hard and frustrating in singleplayer due to AI teammates dying and eating up all your battle gauge points, and when you do play it in multiplayer, say the bosses are too easy as long as you conserve your battle gauge and that it's just a war of attrition.

They love the level designs and the crazy bosses/mechs.

Could be that the reviewer just sucks at the game and was unable to beat the bosses except through attrition, but it also could be valid. The co-op demo I thought was definitely winnable through skillful play on the players' part. We'll see, i'm still planning on getting it.

Capcom bosses are often beatable through attrition but there's usually also a more effective way.

And I kind of feel this is like, say, left 4 Dead, i.e. you're not really meant to play with AI.
Of course I haven't played the game yet.

Good work, men! I've updated the OP with the first round of reviews. I think we all expected as such, but even Eurogamer's 6/10 isn't at all a bad score, given the review.

Complaints seem valid, but some I'm wondering if some of the Lost Planet DNA is being mistaken as a malady.

Canova

Banned
Although Lost Planet 2 definitely has its moments, it fails to deliver most of its potential. If you can overlook the infuriating difficulty level, lack of checkpoints, stupid AI and the overall imbalance, the highlights offer an exciting thrill ride. You can go bonkers in so many ways with this game. [Apr 2010]

awww fuck, this review killed my hype. I hope it has easy mode, and new game plus

Mr. Lemming said:
Are most people going with the 360 or PS3 version? Sort of split on which one to get at the moment.

The 360 version's demo was the better of the two in terms of performance and image quality.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Cannot fucking wait. I loved the first one so hard! I hope the Japanese community from the first returns, those guys were awesome crazy mental good at it.

JudgeN

How has capcom been about getting DLC to its PC version? Did RE5 ever get the updates? Seems like 360 version or bust on this game.

Brannon

Not really going to play this game for the story. I mean... damn... that part one was... damn.

Damn.

But then when you're trapped in a hive with a pissed-off rolling monstrosity and his two buddies and your T-ENG is counting down, well the story can be forgiven.

Because that story...

Damn.

McBradders said:
Cannot fucking wait. I loved the first one so hard! I hope the Japanese community from the first returns, those guys were awesome crazy mental good at it.

Oh, judging by the demo, they're already there; owning in their quiet, dignified way. Dunno what it is, but the lovable Japanese keen on a bit of a shoot-shoot rip it up in this game like I don't think we see elsewhere.

Canova

Banned
Pylon_Trooper said:
Would co-op ease your depression, sir?

i got no partner to play with, and feel too insecure to go online with all the pro shooters out there (FYI I only finished 2 shooters games in my entire gaming career, RE5 and Uncharted 2)

canova said:
i got no partner to play with, and feel too insecure to go online with all the pro shooters out there (FYI I only finished 2 shooters games in my entire gaming career, RE5 and Uncharted 2)

You shouldn't feel too bad about going online with a bunch of strangers...from the co-op demo I played, it channels players along together without the need to mike it up if you aren't keen. And in regards to finishing shooters...I'd say there's enough of a varied arsenal of ridiculous weapons to keep the bugs at bay. What other game boasts the ability for the average Joe to rip a rocket pod or shotgun two times the size of the player off a mech and carry it around?!

Just got the game and played campaign for a bit. The AI is as retarded as the RE5 one. There's nobody to play with online either.

Stink

Worth pointing out that it's actually the same reviewer for Eurogamer as who wrote the first game's review, where he awarded a 7/10, and it's Kristan Reed, who I believe freelances now and is generally a bit better than their current batch of staff writers.

Astery

PowerSmell said:
Just got the game and played campaign for a bit. The AI is as retarded as the RE5 one. There's nobody to play with online either.

because...you know, may be try again a few days later?

Stink said:
Worth pointing out that it's actually the same reviewer for Eurogamer as who wrote the first game's review, where he awarded a 7/10, and it's Kristan Reed, who I believe freelances now and is generally a bit better than their current batch of staff writers.

Good to hear. It's a good review, no doubt.

JudgeN said:
How has capcom been about getting DLC to its PC version? Did RE5 ever get the updates? Seems like 360 version or bust on this game.
We aren't getting the Gold Edition stuff for RE5, nor are we getting SSF4 (for the moment).

We did however get the costume packs for SF4. :lol

Yay, embargo is up. My thoughts:

- Singleplayer is shit, and infuriatingly bad designed when you're alone and you can't pause the game when you play alone.
- Co-op is amazing, the third chapter is the pinnacle of co-op design
- Multiplayer is a love/hate thing
- Insanely narrow play areas from time to time
- Why the fuck does this game have QTE's. They throw them in three times during the game, and they don't add anything to the experience of the cutscene.
- Some of the VS's control really strange, especially ones introduced in the final hours of the game
- The final boss is nothing short of stupid
- The game never tells you, what exactly you need to do and sometimes I completed a goal without knowing how.
- I love the shotgun, loooove it.
- There's a nightvision option, but you never use it

Good report, Vinterbird. This game really does sound like the co-op was first thing designated in the design doc. Any other interesting things going on in the game?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Pylon_Trooper said:
Oh, judging by the demo, they're already there; owning in their quiet, dignified way. Dunno what it is, but the lovable Japanese keen on a bit of a shoot-shoot rip it up in this game like I don't think we see elsewhere.

Yeah, the demo was heartwarming ^_^

Yeah the japanese were the best people to play against in the first one. They were the only ones who would regularly shoot my disc grenades out of the air, and compete in who can bounce greandes into the other guy who you can't see. :D

I've basically put myself on embargo on details about this game, but will definitely be tearing it up on the PS3 version.

Nickiepoo

Somehow I forgot that this game had offline split screen. Perfect.

The Lost Planet demo at a buddies house what what sold me on getting a 360, can't wait.

I enjoyed the multiplayer demo a lot, looking forward to fighting some more Akrid. Although from the looks of the reviews, I probably won't want to play this alone. Sad faces.

PS3 version day one.

I'd say we've got a really positive group here, considering the reviews and GAF's propensity for slamming things. Should be a sleeper hit, especially for the co-op craver crowd. :D

Woah, that's a review and a half! Some interesting points in there seem at odds with other reviews - but a broad spectrum and all that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Stupid question but does this game have a "story" ? because based on everything i've seen so far it just looks like a Japanese take on left 4 dead, as in a fully focused on multiplayer title ..

jet1911

chandoog said:
Stupid question but does this game have a "story" ? because based on everything i've seen so far it just looks like a Japanese take on left 4 dead, as in a fully focused on multiplayer title ..

There's a story

Vinterbird said:
- There's a nightvision option, but you never use it

LOL!

I actually was playing the MP demo last night and turned it on by accident (don't know how I did it either). Thought I made the game bug out or something, then I couldn't turn it off....

But yeah

WE'RE ALMOST FUCKING THERE GUYS! :D :D :D

Top Bottom