• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, I kinda figured the Japanese would only be playing it. And you're not the only one that dislikes the multiplayer. Colonies online achievements were "OH GOD KILL ME NOW" I can't imagine how bad the online achievements for this one is. :lol

TheSeks

Holy fuck, this chapter 2 campaign boss Akrid is so fucking stupid. I keep dying due to it's shitty homing fast attack. Ugh. And my RPG doesn't put a dent on it due to the travel time required to hit the core. :|

Edit: And no one will start 1-0 because BAWWW I'M NOT SECOND PLAYER FOR THE TROPHY. *quit* "SESSION HAS BEEN CANCELED!"

SMH Capcom. :|

TheSeks

Well, at least the PS3 doesn't have the misfortune of dealing with PC hackers like Lost Planet 1/Colonies did online. So it isn't that bad, but it does seem like first impressions (again: LTTP) is that it's nothing but Japanese players and people that don't start the game, or cancel it. :|

At least I got my Prologue B trophy. Now I don't have to bother with that chapter except on Hard/Extreme/Easy. *siiigh*

Also the 2/4 player side-story is so boring. A shooting gallery to meet up with the 1/3 player. WTF, Takuchi?

Now to go back and attempt to beat the stupid second chapter Akrid boss. Who will murder me because the AI sucks and I can't hit the core when he moves too fast for my RPG/reload skills.

TheSeks

Lonely1 said:
Sounds like you aren't enjoying the game.

Who said I wasn't enjoying the game? I've stated before I have a love/hate relationship with Lost Planet.

McLovin

So far with what I've played the game is no fun by yourself. You need co-op to enjoy it. At least thats what I got out of it.

TheSeks

Unlocked the Gunsword and it's very underwhelming. In co-op it seems to have killer auto-aim/lunge and the power of the gun itself is pretty weak. Not sure why I should give up the Assault Rifle SP (aka: Demo given gun) for it.

Also I hate the slot machine. A bunch of titles I don't give two fucks about, unlocked Superstar (early, at level 20. Holy shit leveling up during the first playthrough Batman!) and some other abilities I can't care about. But not too many weapons. :|

TheSeks

Holy shit. Chapter 6 is when the game starts to get really fun.

But... am I supposed to "wear the enemy down!"? I've been through four areas, closed every Akrid "breeding ground" as I can find, 99999 thermal energy while firing the PEW PEW VS Laser off everywhere and I still have to go further into the big-bad plotline boss? Seriously? INSANE! :lol

1stStrike

Banned
I bought this for $20.00 on amazon a month or so ago and it was still sitting in the plastic, unopened, so I figured I'd give it a try (I never played the first one).

So far, the controls are pretty awkward. I mean, L1 to throw a grenade? That's weird as hell. I just finished chapter 1 and was confused as hell. Some random dude from south america or something joined me and he was just as lost as me and kept cussing into his mic :lol

I'll probably give another chapter or two a try and see how it fairs, but thus far I'm regretting the $20.00 purchase.

1stStrike said:
I bought this for $20.00 on amazon a month or so ago and it was still sitting in the plastic, unopened, so I figured I'd give it a try (I never played the first one).

So far, the controls are pretty awkward. I mean, L1 to throw a grenade? That's weird as hell. I just finished chapter 1 and was confused as hell. Some random dude from south america or something joined me and he was just as lost as me and kept cussing into his mic :lol

I'll probably give another chapter or two a try and see how it fairs, but thus far I'm regretting the $20.00 purchase.
seriously, dont pay attention to the story. it sucks and is soooo japanese(if you know what i mean). just play this game co-op with some buddies and its really fun to play. The best thing about this game is the gameplay, not the story.

1stStrike

Banned
AlmostMilk said:
seriously, dont pay attention to the story. it sucks and is soooo japanese(if you know what i mean). just play this game co-op with some buddies and its really fun to play. The best thing about this game is the gameplay, not the story.

I definitely didn't buy the game for the story - I mean, I haven't even played Lost Planet 1 :lol

TheSeks

Then what did you buy it for? The game is practically meant for those that semi-enjoyed/enjoyed Lost Planet 1. They didn't even fix things that were wrong with the first, FFS. :lol

TheSeks

1stStrike said:
I bought it because it was cheap as hell on amazon and the boss fights looked interesting from the trailers :lol

That's what you get for not researching and playing the two damn demos that were on PSN this year (that got pulled because the game bombed, I guess).

LQX

Also bought this last week and now going through it. I liked the first one but this shit is such a disappointment so far. Way too multiplayer focused for a game that did not start out that way and I'm really hating the fact you have to completely pass a level for it to save.

TheSeks

The multiplayer focus isn't too bad, on Normal and Easy you can solo the game pretty easy with the exception of a few areas that are full of enemies. I'm sure you can solo hard, extreme is the issue.

Of course, playing thousands of matches in LP1:Colonies Edition has drilled ROLL ROLL THROW GRENADE ROLL ROLL into my head to where Normal is pretty much a breeze playing with 3 private slots/solo online.

TheSeks

Man the last chapter/boss takes forever. And the whole GPS gimmick to defeat it is stupid. Shoot at it until it's black, grapple. OH WAIT YOU DIED BECAUSE YOUR GRAPPLE SHOOTS YOU TOO FAR OR CIRCLE DOESN'T WORK LOL. >:|

Also Frank West as a Femme Fatal is hilarious.

TheSeks

zoukka said:
You should definitely sell the game and forget about it.

Given that no one is posting in this thread, I'd say you're right. But I want at least 50% in the trophies before I even bother doing that.

zoukka

TheSeks said:
Given that no one is posting in this thread, I'd say you're right. But I want at least 50% in the trophies before I even bother doing that.

Actually before selling the game, seek treatment for the trophy OCD. It's making you play shitty games.

TheSeks

The game isn't that shitty. It's pretty fun in co-op. The online versus is where the terrible happens. As does the stupid slot machine that gives you titles for your "callsign" or whatever that no one gives a shit about.

Guns/Skills are at least somewhat varied, but they didn't fix the issues with Lost Planet 1 at all. I could see why it bombed.

sorry for bumping this guys, but i just wanted to know, does lost planet 2 support split screen on one console (for two players there) and the other two online on two different consoles for 4 players online coop?
cheers!

pje122

kazuma_pt said:
sorry for bumping this guys, but i just wanted to know, does lost planet 2 support split screen on one console (for two players there) and the other two online on two different consoles for 4 players online coop?
cheers!
Nope.
Split screen + 2 AI characters

TheSeks

Going through on Hard is such a crap shoot. You want 2-3 others to join to run through the chapter easy, but hardly anyone joins. They create their own game to do the chapters. Stupid. :/

TheSeks said:
Going through on Hard is such a crap shoot. You want 2-3 others to join to run through the chapter easy, but hardly anyone joins. They create their own game to do the chapters. Stupid. :/

You need help on the campaign? I try to play on the weekends with a friend online. If you're game PM me.

TheSeks

I don't really need help on the campaign. Just need others to make it easier to pass some spots in the levels on Hard to unlock Extreme.

TheSeks said:
I don't really need help on the campaign. Just need others to make it easier to pass some spots in the levels on Hard to unlock Extreme.

Well I wouldn't mind taking out 2 birds with one stone either way. PS3 right?

TheSeks

Sure. Only have three chapters and 1-2's secret route to complete for Hard to be done. Then it's doing Easy solo and Extreme with 2-3 others.

TheSeks said:
Sure. Only have three chapters and 1-2's secret route to complete for Hard to be done. Then it's doing Easy solo and Extreme with 2-3 others.

I'll send you a PM then, we could do Extreme with my buddy and I if things go really well too. Do you have a headset?

TheSeks

Urban Scholar said:
I'll send you a PM then, we could do Extreme with my buddy and I if things go really well too. Do you have a headset?

Nope. Can't hear so it wouldn't do me much good, man. :lol

Llyranor

I actually started replaying the game with my co-op buddy. We've already cleared Extreme before, but we're playing through in iron mode where dying = reload. The respawning (and lack of rapidly draining T-Eng) in LP2 really took away from the sense of tension from the first game. So far, it's been pretty fun.

TheSeks

I dunno, running Superstar on Hard has had me focus on my T-Eng while using the plasma weapons at times. I dunno if using Superstar to go through Extreme/level up my classes is a good idea. heh.

TheSeks

Urban Scholar said:
We'll be game around 6-7 pm EST tomorrow, I should be returning from work then, if that's fine.

Well, it's 7PM dude. I sent you a request, if you're around. *minor bump*

TheSeks said:
Well, it's 7PM dude. I sent you a request, if you're around. *minor bump*

I PMed you, we both got held up a bit so, roughly an hour we can do the thing. If you want to try with randoms instead of waiting that's fine.

Anyone still up for playing this?

I just got the game and running campaign with randoms is a pain in the ass.

Gonna start with easy and go from there.

GT: PepsimanVsJoe

Veal

Is anyone playing this on PC? I'm thinking about getting this and the co-op sounds pretty awesome. But if no one is playing, it'll be useless..

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Daigoro

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Anyone still up for playing this?

I just got the game and running campaign with randoms is a pain in the ass.

Gonna start with easy and go from there.

GT: PepsimanVsJoe

me. ive only beaten it once on normal so far. need to run through a few more times.

ill send a FR, see if we can schedule some time.

A.R.K

I am thinking about getting this game for my son on the PS3. Don't care about the story being shitty as long as the game is fun and it performs well. Reviews have been pretty bad (thought I hardly trust them)...specially for PS3 performance. When I played the demo on PS3 long time back I don't remember the performance being as bad as the IGN review states. Can some of you who have the PS3 version please let me know how does the PS3 version performs (major or minor technical issues)? Also does it have split screen co-op? Is the game fun? thanks

hayejin

Played on PS3 then extensively on 360 beating it twice on both platforms.

Game is fun period! PS3 might look shitty compared to 360 but no game breaking performance issues or anything. You should get it since game is like 10 dollars nowadays.

Arklite

A.R.K said:
Can some of you who have the PS3 version please let me know how does the PS3 version performs (major or minor technical issues)? Also does it have split screen co-op? Is the game fun? thanks

Performance issue refers to stuttering frames. Occasionally you'll notice the the game completely freeze frame for something like a quarter of a second. After a while you actually don't even see it, unless you're really sensitive to it, but it doesn't impact gameplay as much as some reviews say.

I've never done local co-op, but the back of my case says 1-2 players (and 2-16 network), so split screen is there. The game is a blast as long as you have someone to co-op with. If you don't have a partner some objectives become a pain, and the levels are rather large.

Erasus

A.R.K said:
I am thinking about getting this game for my son on the PS3. Don't care about the story being shitty as long as the game is fun and it performs well. Reviews have been pretty bad (thought I hardly trust them)...specially for PS3 performance. When I played the demo on PS3 long time back I don't remember the performance being as bad as the IGN review states. Can some of you who have the PS3 version please let me know how does the PS3 version performs (major or minor technical issues)? Also does it have split screen co-op? Is the game fun? thanks

DF comparision:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox360-vs-ps3-round-26-face-off?page=2

That said with all the motion blur I was not bothered by fps drops. Those might be worse in co-op though.

The games looks amazing, about the only thing that made me play through it once was the visuals.

Top Bottom