• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

Coxswain said:
I don't think I would enjoy the game much in co-op without the Battle Gauge forcing a Game Over on the entire chapter. Then it just becomes like Halo or Gears co-op, where winning is an inevitability no matter how well or how poorly you play the game. A minimum standard on team performance is really what makes Lost Planet 2 and Monster Hunter co-op good, in my opinion.
That makes no sense. If you perform poorly you don't advance. Doesn't mean you have to start the previous stuff again, even if you S ranked them you'll have to do them again... How does that make sense?

Pylon_Trooper said:
If you listen to THIS Avault podcast, you can hear a discussion with Shawn Baxter, the community manager for Lost Planet 2, and he addresses or explains certain design issues and choices within the game. A good listen.

"The AI is definitely really smart"

Right... something tells me this is gonna be a useless listen.

Metalmurphy said:
"The AI is definitely really smart"

Right... something tells me this is gonna be a useless listen.

I took issue with a few things, that being one of them, but Baxter empathises with the checkpoint system, for instance. Do you have friends you can play with?

Personally, I've never had a problem with the AI because I don't acknowledge or rely on them. I loved my solo run-through.

Pylon_Trooper said:
I took issue with a few things, that being one of them, but Baxter empathises with the checkpoint system, for instance. Do you have friends you can play with?

Personally, I've never had a problem with the AI because I don't acknowledge or rely on them. I loved my solo run-through.

I finished listening to it, they looked at the issue from another perspective, where the point is to play with the same team all through the whole mission... but even that doesn't make sense. In fact, the way it works now is the reason why you most likely won't be playing with the same team, cause as soon you fail a mission, someone leaves, 99% of the time that happens.

If you could retry the same mission instead of the whole chapter then I'm pretty sure people wouldn't leave so easily you'd be still playing with the same team.

Coxswain

Metalmurphy said:
That makes no sense. If you perform poorly you don't advance. Doesn't mean you have to start the previous stuff again, even if you S ranked them you'll have to do them again... How does that make sense?
Because your performance is measured over the course of an entire chapter, not just one part of it. The minimum bar of performance isn't "did you do well enough to pass part 1?"; it's "did you finish part 1 with enough Battle Gauge, Thermal Energy, and ammo to pass part 2?" and so on. If you performed well on the first two parts of a 3-part chapter, you walk into the final part with an extra 2000-3000 on your Battle Gauge, usually a lot of Thermal Energy, and more often than not some powerful weapons. If you can't win on the third area with all those advantages, you messed something up bad, and if you don't have those advantages, you're not performing as well as you think you are.

It's like taking a boss down to 25% health, and then getting mad you have to restart it from the beginning. Just because there's a little interstitial screen that tells you you got an A+ on the first 75% of the boss's health doesn't mean it can't be a part of the same overall evaluation period.

Coxswain said:
Because your performance is measured over the course of an entire chapter, not just one part of it. The minimum bar of performance isn't "did you do well enough to pass part 1?"; it's "did you finish part 1 with enough Battle Gauge, Thermal Energy, and ammo to pass part 2?" and so on. If you performed well on the first two parts of a 3-part chapter, you walk into the final part with an extra 2000-3000 on your Battle Gauge, usually a lot of Thermal Energy, and more often than not some powerful weapons. If you can't win on the third area with all those advantages, you messed something up bad, and if you don't have those advantages, you're not performing as well as you think you are.

It's like taking a boss down to 25% health, and then getting mad you have to restart it from the beginning. Just because there's a little interstitial screen that tells you you got an A+ on the first 75% of the boss's health doesn't mean it can't be a part of the same overall evaluation period.

Actually no, it's like taking a boss down to 25% health, and then getting mad you have to do the previous levels again.

What you said before would make sense if I was playing alone, but I'm not. I don't even have to die once, but someone else can mess up. If your problem is that this would create an unfair overall rating, then add an F rating for retrying or something. I couldn't care less about the rating, I just want to advance.

Pylon_Trooper said:
What episode/chapter are you on, Metal?

Not sure, 3-4?
NAVEC base where you start seeing Akrid controlled by NAVEC, we killed of the big 4 legged one then someone decided to jump to the water on our last 500 Battle Gauge.
Then I tried again but the team just wasn't working and we died at the first mission and I gave up.

schlew

Am I crazy, or is the new Map Pack not available for the 360 version? I've been checking, but it's not coming up, meanwhile it is certainly available over the PSN. Just odd.

Zozobra

Metalmurphy said:
Looking for some people to help me finish my HARD run.

PSN ID: Metalmurphy - PT/EU

I'd be more than happy to help you, I'm in CST timezone, though. Think I'm up to 4-3 on hard.

PSN ID: Jucifer

robot

PATCH INCOMING!

- Respawning points are changed - e.g. the player can start from the beginning of the boss fight, rather than start the level from the beginning and so on.
Applies to the whole game. HOORAY!

- The player's attacking power has been strengthened.
This applies when the difficulty level is set at either Easy or Normal and when only one player starts the game.

- The level of animations for the player being affected near by attack/explosion is lowered.
This applies when the difficulty level is set at either Easy or Normal and when only one player starts the game.

- The level of damage to the player is lowered.

- Harmonizer is adjusted to be more powerful.

- The level of animations for the enemies being affected near by attack/explosion is increased.

- Tip texts are added to the objects that require the B button action such as Data Posts.
Applies to the whole game.

- Weapons' parameters are adjusted - i.e. they became quite evenly balanced (not too strong, not too weak).

- The speed of the player's dash is increased.

Sectus

Sounds like they're trying to primarily address criticisms from reviews about singleplayer being too hard and there were too few checkpoints.

While it's nice to see the game is being patched, I'm very worried there's nothing mentioned about DLC. As it is right now, DLC maps are practically impossible to play online with strangers, and yet they keep releasing them.

Zozobra said:
I'd be more than happy to help you, I'm in CST timezone, though. Think I'm up to 4-3 on hard.

PSN ID: Jucifer

Sorry mate. Completely missed your post. I'm near the end though, surprisingly Episode 4 was the hardest one, its been a breeze since then. I'll still add you anyway, maybe for the extreme run ^^

- Respawning points are changed - e.g. the player can start from the beginning of the boss fight, rather than start the level from the beginning and so on.
Applies to the whole game. HOORAY!

Thank GOD!

But... no word on the PS3 Trophy bug fix?

FTWer said:
Nothing on being able to join games in progress or not having to beat a level to play it co-op yet?

That's what I was looking for too. Looks like, you will still have to wait 10-20 minutes to join a game, and still no level select. This changes nothing in regards to the ease of joining a co-op game.

palpabl_purpura said:
That's what I was looking for too. Looks like, you will still have to wait 10-20 minutes to join a game, and still no level select. This changes nothing in regards to the ease of joining a co-op game.

Stop joining and start creating. I mean, it takes a while, but not 10-20 minutes...

Jakeh111 said:
I just beat the SP and still have no clue what that story was about.

Some evil guys wanted to increase the size of an acrid by having it consume all the T-eng on the planet. Then they were gonna blow it up, get all the store all the T-eng for themselves, leave the planet to die in a global iceage, then move on to the next planet. 4 groups of 4 guys try to stop that from happening

Or something like that.

Wow, that patch really smooths things up. If people are still on the fence about it, now would be a good time to jump onto the LP2 bandwagon. Just had a few rounds of multiplayer after finishing off the campaign (did a few repeats for XP) and it feels rather tweaked.

I might have had a faster than usual connection, but I swear that patch has really made a great difference.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Wow, that patch really smooths things up. If people are still on the fence about it, now would be a good time to jump onto the LP2 bandwagon. Just had a few rounds of multiplayer after finishing off the campaign (did a few repeats for XP) and it feels rather tweaked.

I might have had a faster than usual connection, but I swear that patch has really made a great difference.

Yeah I played campaign on friday with a friend and indeed the boss checkpoint stuff is fantastic (episode 2 boss on hard is serious business)

Also, sprint is now both useful and awesome!

CozMick

Banned
Man why didn't I buy this game at launch?

Fuck reviews from now on,

Anyway reached level 14 from just the Multiplayer and I have a few questions.

So far I've only been able to join Japanese servers (UK player here) Is it normal to put a magazine of ammo into someone to drop them or is it major lag?

Is there a guide anywhere that explains the VS's? I'd love to know there unique abilities.

Are unlocks only available from the slot machines?

What are the little images above players characters?

Also, Faction matches confuse the shit out of me, but thats for another day.....

Hope you can help, thanks :D

Flunkie said:
Just played the coop demo with 4 guys from the US and had a freaking blast. Was it real?

Now play the full game with 4 people and have a blast :D

I like this game quite a bit. Taking down massive Akrid is hugely satisfying, and the net-code is super smooth.

robot

Looks like Rush Arena was released today for $3 - sounds like a Boss Rush mode. Was hoping for an arena filled with monsters based on one of the videos shown a while back, but doesnt seem to be the case. Anyone download it?

Daigoro

i think i need to buy this game.

edit: on sale @ Newegg for 35 shipped. bought!

GT: Matty Thorns.

feel free to add (to the OP and friends list). thanks.

Daigoro

so , yeah i bought it. should at my door in about 12 hrs from now or so.

gt: Matty Thorns, US east coast -5 GMT. hit me up!

Daigoro

so what?

i game at extemely odd times for my time zone. might be perfect.

i was just speaking in general terms anyways. but really im more suited to gaming with people in European time zones with my schedule (i wont be home and gaming for about another 4-5 hrs from now). add me anyways and delete me if it doesnt work out. :)

Daigoro said:
so what?

i game at extemely odd times for my time zone. might be perfect.

i was just speaking in general terms anyways. but really im more suited to gaming with people in European time zones with my schedule (i wont be home and gaming for about another 4-5 hrs from now). add me anyways and delete me if it doesnt work out. :)

k we'll see then

Dahbomb

Patch is nice, but I personally only had trouble at the end of 3 where you were on a train and had to fix the train or something. Yeah that was hard the first few times because you didn't exactly know what to do and the whole dying while falling off of the train. Really requires good play from all team players.

mujun

Just completed this today. As a single player experience I found it to be atrocious, felt like a bunch of crappy MP maps strung together with some bullet sponges (read brain dead AI) to kill before moving on to the next level.

UI design, menus and the rest are clunky as all hell and the people who designed them should go back to HAL or whichever school they came out of. Even better study outside of Japan because if one of Japan's top companies can't do a decent UI who can.

JdFoX187

Banned
Beat it today and the fucker didn't give me my achievement for completing the game. Still was fun as hell though. I guess it was the post-patch changes that really made the game shine for me. Since no one on my friends list bought the game, I played through it alone, and it was fucking awesome. I still prefer the most streamlined first game, but there were some awesome encounters in this one. Seriously though, fuck snow worms. Hated that fucker in the first game and hated them on this one. But the whole blizzard Akrid fight was awesome, and charging through the Greater G was fun as hell too. I actually found myself rooting for the dudes, even though I had no idea who they were.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
JdFoX187 said:
Beat it today and the fucker didn't give me my achievement for completing the game. Still was fun as hell though.

You didn't get the achievement because you didn't complete the game entirely. IIRC there's an alternate path on 2-1 that you need to replay and clear.

Daigoro

its an alternate version of the prologue. you have to be the 2nd or the 4th player to join the game and it will unlock.

rlc28l.jpg

35ddfrl.jpg
2mwrp89.jpg

Finally got them all

I <3 Lost Planet

:D :D :D :D

Lyte Edge

What are the current sales numbers for LP2? I'm still thinking about double-dipping and getting the PS3 version, especially if there's more people playing compared to the 360 version.

STILL have yet to play a single match on DLC Map Pack #2, BTW. Nobody playing seems to have purchased the map packs.

Lyte Edge said:
What are the current sales numbers for LP2? I'm still thinking about double-dipping and getting the PS3 version, especially if there's more people playing compared to the 360 version.

STILL have yet to play a single match on DLC Map Pack #2, BTW. Nobody playing seems to have purchased the map packs.

Where did you hear this? Veeeery interested if true, though I imagine it's those elite jPan kids though

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Any GAFers playing competitive MP on 360? Haven't played this online in a few months and was thinking of jumping in this weekend.

I play from time to time, but I'm pretty rubbish at it (always was, same with LP1). It's kinda unfun to get friends together to play though as most people seem to only join Ranked matches =/

Lyte Edge

I play multiplayer on 360. I suck at it too, but it's always fun. Got second place yesterday in an elimination match; that's the best I've done since the game came out.

Need to get my level up higher, too. I'm at 60.

AgentOtaku said:
Where did you hear this? Veeeery interested if true, though I imagine it's those elite jPan kids though

Yeah, it sold like a shit-ton more copies on PS3 in Japan than on 360 (as expected), so I was wondering how it was here and in Europe, too. LP seems to have a pretty big international community compared to your typical console FPS.

Lyte Edge said:
I play multiplayer on 360. I suck at it too, but it's always fun. Got second place yesterday in an elimination match; that's the best I've done since the game came out.

Need to get my level up higher, too. I'm at 60.

Yeah, it sold like a shit-ton more copies on PS3 in Japan than on 360 (as expected), so I was wondering how it was here and in Europe, too. LP seems to have a pretty big international community compared to your typical console FPS.

Well hit me up if you ever wanna grind it out on 360 sometime. I still gotta go through it on Easy and Extreme.
I'm in Germany though...

Top Bottom