• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louisiana leadership claims off-shore drilling still safe, demands lift of drill ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mudkips said:
How is nuclear harmful, at all?

Do you know what they use to MAKE solar panels?
Do you know that wind turbines require near-constant maintenance (including lubrication, with...oil)? Did you know they take up tons of space and fuck with birds?

Nuclear power plants use a radioactive source (typically plutonium rods or some such) to heat water, the heated water turns to steam and runs a turbine.
When a fuel rod is "spent" it is simply too low of a yield to be used in that plant.

We can take "spent" fuel rods and use them in smaller, lower-output reactors.

We have designs for very small reactors intended to power individual blocks or even homes.

When they're beyond any practical use, they're also beyond any practical danger.
Toss 'em in a drum and bury them somewhere. The worst that could happen is a very slow, very low level irradiation of the area. Detectable, fixable, and NOT a big deal.

BUT LET'S ALL FEAR THE NUCLEAR BOOGEY MAN!

First of all, I'm not a nuclear boogey man, so stop trying to put me in that group. I'm 100% behind nuclear power. I just wanted to ask you the question because I was honestly curious.

And I wasn't aware that the technology exist yet to reuse spent fuel rods for other reactors. And you must be honest and state that a nuclear disaster if something were to happen is possible and would be worse for the environment than solar or wind.

But overall I agree with you that nuclear is one of the obvious choices when it comes to getting off of fossil fuels.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
JoeBoy101 said:
gee and i was lambasted in the oil thread after posting an article about the moratorium, by a Mod no less! And the very own review board doesn't agree with it.

They are absolutely right, while these rigs are shut down we will have to buy our oil from other nations to make up for the loss of production and at the same time the rigs will leave and go to other countries.
Plus all the people across Texas and Louisiana that are going to lose their jobs because of it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
captive said:
gee and i was lambasted in the oil thread after posting an article about the moratorium, by a Mod no less! And the very own review board doesn't agree with it.

They are absolutely right, while these rigs are shut down we will have to buy our oil from other nations to make up for the loss of production and at the same time the rigs will leave and go to other countries.
Plus all the people across Texas and Louisiana that are going to lose their jobs because of it.

So they weren't totally against any mortorium. They just don't like the mortorium that the Obama Administration picked.

captive said:

It doesn't matter whether we buy 96% or 100% of our oil from abroad; in the end, we're still entirely dependent on their product.

If domestic supply is booming, the foreign suppliers can jack up the price on the majority that we need from them. If domestic supply is culled, the foreign suppliers can jack up the price because we have no supply of our own. They hold all the cards in this industry and it's time that people realize that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom