• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTF: Paper Mario Sticker Star

A significant part of your post harping on it, but yeah, it's not your only problem. I can't I agree with anything you stated in your post though.

The battle system is probably the game's biggest achievement for me since it balances the resource management of something like Resident Evil with turn based action combat. I feel like the game rewarded me just fine with unique stickers and coins for performing well. I got into as many battles as I wanted just to stock up on stuff and it was fun because I get a kick out of finding the most efficient path to victory.

Naturally that translates over to the boss fights which I found fun and the level design which rewarded exploration and, in general, has rocking music to listen to. The manner in which I approached the game, in how I thought about different sets of attacks and how I was going to be progress in a level was unlike any game I have ever played.

I honestly think approaching it like an RPG is a bad idea which is why a lot of RPG fans give the game such a rough time. It's something completely different.

I can't think of a single game that plays like SS. I want more to be honest. Bring on Color Splash.

It's more an adventure type game with RPG mechanics. It's great. I still have my physical copy. Yeah some questionable design choices but overall very unique game and while at first was a bit dissapointed we didn't get another typical Paper Mario, I apprecite what Stick star is doing and waiting for color splash!

leroidys

Oh hey, post number 1238182937123981 of Link to the Snitch raging about Sticker Star, now with it's own topic. You should start thinking about seeking help friend. At least you've actually played it this time.

A significant part of your post harping on it, but yeah, it's not your only problem. I can't I agree with anything you stated in your post though.

The battle system is probably the game's biggest achievement for me since it balances the resource management of something like Resident Evil with turn based action combat. I feel like the game rewarded me just fine with unique stickers and coins for performing well. I got into as many battles as I wanted just to stock up on stuff and it was fun because I get a kick out of finding the most efficient path to victory.

Naturally that translates over to the boss fights which I found fun and the level design which rewarded exploration and, in general, has rocking music to listen to. The manner in which I approached the game, in how I thought about different sets of attacks and how I was going to be progress in a level was unlike any game I have ever played.

I honestly think approaching it like an RPG is a bad idea which is why a lot of RPG fans give the game such a rough time. It's something completely different.

I can't think of a single game that plays like SS. I want more to be honest. Bring on Color Splash.

But I only briefly complained about it being an RPG, so that doesn't apply to me either. I said that what it was trying to be, it was not successful at being.

Oh hey, post number 1238182937123981 of Link to the Snitch raging about Sticker Star, now with it's own topic. You should start thinking about seeking help dude.

You don't have to read the thread, babe. It's a thread I created because I had finally gotten around to finishing it. Perhaps stalkers should seek some help :v

It's more an adventure type game with RPG mechanics. It's great. I still have my physical copy. Yeah some questionable design choices but overall very unique game and while at first was a bit dissapointed we didn't get another typical Paper Mario, I apprecite what Stick star is doing and waiting for color splash!

Didn't you leave the thread

leroidys

But I only briefly complained about it being an RPG, so that doesn't apply to me either. I said that what it was trying to be, it was not successful at being.

You don't have to read the thread, babe. It's a thread I created because I had finally gotten around to finishing it. Perhaps stalkers should seek some help :v

Didn't you leave the thread

I'm not a stalker, I clicked on this thread because I thought it would be interesting to see someone's thoughts on the game. I didn't realize it was you until after I clicked and started reading FWIW (I have avatars turned off on mobile).

Don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate you as a poster and find that our tastes align more often than not, just about anything not containing the words Paper Mario <3

It's painful to say, but it's really feeling like he's lost his mojo. *sigh*

It's simply a matter that Miyamoto is a product of his time. Put him in charge of a game that means to channel NES games, and he glows. Put him in charge of basic, focused games (something like Nintendogs or what have you), and he's great. But when you put him in charge of a game that either seeks to advance itself further or is in a series that is typically more advanced than Miyamoto is used to, it usually does not end well for that game.

KevinCow

Banned
1/10? Worse than Sonic '06? What an absolute load of horse shit.

A 1/10 game is a game that's buggy and broken and unplayable. Sticker Star is perfectly playable, regardless of whether you like the direction they took.

The hyperbole about this game is absurd.

1/10? Worse than Sonic '06? What an absolute load of horse shit.

A 1/10 game is a game that's buggy and broken and unplayable. Sticker Star is perfectly playable, regardless of whether you like the direction they took.

The hyperbole about this game is absurd.

It's perfectly playable, and is the most miserable gaming experience I've ever... well, experienced. I've never had a worse time playing a game than I did playing this. Sonic 06 I enjoy more because it's fun to laugh at. It's like asking me to choose between watching Troll II and Gods of Egypt - Gods of Egypt is more competently made, but Troll II is a much more entertaining movie.

Reset

I'll take a broken game which can at least provide some laughs over a boring ass game that has nothing going for it.

Puruzi

Banned
I hate this piece of shit so fucking much. I hate it. Fuck Miyamoto. Paper Mario was one of my favorite franchises and I am not pleased with what it has become. Kill me.

Mory Dunz

It's painful to say, but it's really feeling like he's lost his mojo. *sigh*

Not gonna blame Miyamoto for IS making a bad game.

Even with the NPCs being restricted to NSMB or whatever miyamoto was said to do, IS still made a bad game.
Even if he told them to not make it a regular rpg (I'm not sure he did though), IS still made a bad game.

Like I said before:
You want to take RPG elements out of the game and go adventure style?
Great.

But you better replace EXP, Partners, Badges, Deep battle system, Story, Original Characters, Bowser talking, etc

If it's an adventure game you have to 10x the Level Design, Puzzles, World Transversal Methods, World crafting, Tools/Items to Solve Puzzles

not asking for Zelda, but you have to make up what you took away. You don't get to cheat by doing a half-baked rpg and half-baked adventure game.

Choomp

Banned
This game sucks. Especially cause it kind of signified the era of series like this, Luigi's mansion, and Mario and Luigi becoming boring filler almost entirely.

From what I can see though, it seems like Sticker Star was having trouble meeting its deadline (partly because Miyamoto made them start over when he decided he didn't like the direction it was taking) and they had to bring on Vanpool to help. So ultimately, I think it's likely that many of the game's flaws can be linked to Miyamoto's original decision to have the initial version of Sticker Star to be cancelled.

Mory Dunz

From what I can see though, it seems like Sticker Star was having trouble meeting its deadline (partly because Miyamoto made them start over when he decided he didn't like the direction it was taking) and they had to bring on Vanpool to help. So ultimately, I think it's likely that many of the game's flaws can be linked to Miyamoto's original decision to have the initial version of Sticker Star to be cancelled.

Like after that initial 2010 (iirc) trailer with partners? really? eff.
Why not delay it to make a good adventure game.

Wait, but at the same time. Color Splash has seemingly gotten a normal Dev cycle and looks as brain dead as SS in some areas. So what's going on there? sheesh....

Like after that initial 2010 (iirc) trailer with partners? really? eff.
Why not delay it to make a good adventure game.

Wait, but at the same time. Color Splash has seemingly gotten a normal Dev cycle and looks as brain dead as SS in some areas. So what's going on there? sheesh....

I think it is just a matter of the designers thinking that they just needed to do Sticker Star "right" and they didn't actually take a lot of the criticism to heart.

Toxi

Banned
When the cute and colorful Mario RPG has resource management comparable to a survival horror game, there's something wrong.

xevis

Banned
The story is all too present, and it just infuriates me, because just like how they decided to keep RPG mechanics in a game they do not consider an RPG

Every time this game is brought up someone makes this complaint. Every. Freaking. Time.

Repeat after me, OP: Sticker Star is not an RPG. Sticker Star is not an RPG. Sticker Star is not an RPG.

Continue as necessary until it sticks.

The game also suffers immensely with rrespect to a lack of unique story/setting elements. The plot is your basic generic Mario shit &#8211; Peach got captured, Bowser did it.

lol

The enemies suck. There's SO little variety.

There's 54 different enemies in the game. Some are repeating themes (Goombas, Koopas, Shy Guys) but the variation designs are, I thought anyway, endearing. Plus you usually need to fight them in different ways.

Oh, and the boss fights suck too. &#8230; all of the bosses require some degree of trial-and-error. You simply cannot know what item you may or may not need for that fight

Most bosses usually hint pretty strongly at the kind of sticker you need. IIRC, the game tells you outright you need a fan or scissors for the first boss. There's the boss in the baseball stadium, before which you receive a baseball bat Thing sticker. Snowman boss is defeated using fire stickers. Squid boss, sponge sticker. etc.

Instead of having a variety of ways to combat enemies &#8211; like the Hammer mechanic in PM games &#8211; you just hit A, and for a lot of attacks, you just have to guess until you figure it out.

But there's lots of variety? You can kill enemies with all sorts of different stickers or you can just stomp on them. Or both.

Any game in the series before it did overworld puzzles better than this; so many of the puzzles are simply trying to figure out which sticker should go where.

Is that bad? I had fun anyway. There's also quite a bit of exploration to unfold section of a level.

Toxi

Banned
Every time this game is brought up someone makes this complaint. Every. Freaking. Time.

Repeat after me, OP: Sticker Star is not an RPG. Sticker Star is not an RPG. Sticker Star is not an RPG.

Then why the fuck does it insist on playing like a story-based RPG?

The post you quoted had me saying that they do not consider it an RPG yet they have RPG mechanics and tropes. Did you actually read the sentence, or did you just read "RPG" and go on a rant about something we don't even disagree about?

Kthulhu

Then why the fuck does it insist on playing like a story-based RPG?

This. If Sticker Star isn't an RPG, then why is it:

1. Part of an RPG franchise.
  2. Advertized as an RPG.
  3. Clearly designed with a RPG formula that has been turned on it's head.

Please explain it to us xsive.

It's one thing to like a game most people hate. It's another to claim legitimate criticisms aren't legitimate.

xevis

Banned
The post you quoted had me saying that they do not consider it an RPG yet they have RPG mechanics and tropes. Did you actually read the sentence, or did you just read "RPG" and go on a rant about something we don't even disagree about?

But Sticker Star doesn't have RPG mechanics! There's no levels, no gear, no jobs, no min-maxing. None of that. All it has are fights that play out in a quasi turn-based fashion. It has as much in common with RPGs as Munchkin does with D&D.

Ninjimbo

When the cute and colorful Mario RPG has resource management comparable to a survival horror game, there's something wrong.
No there isn't. Resource Management in RE is one of the reasons REmake is one of the best games ever made. You had to take into account which enemies were worth fighting. When it came to the best guns, which enemies were you going to save those magnum rounds for?

SS had a similar thing going for it with how you were going to use those rare stickers. They weren't as scarce as magnum rounds in RE but they were still uncommon enough that you still had to think about on how you were going to use them.

I found that aspect of it much more interesting than say an RPG where I have to keep an eye on an MP gauge.

But Sticker Star doesn't have RPG mechanics! There's no levels, no gear, no jobs, no min-maxing. None of that. All it has are fights that play out in a quasi turn-based fashion. It has as much in common with RPGs as Munchkin does with D&D.

The combat system is a modified RPG battle system from an RPG. Munchkin's combat system also does not remotely work the same as D&D's. No dice rolling (except for running and certain items), no deep decision making. You can't just say "it's not an RPG, it's an action-adventure!" while the game simply does nothing to establish such a thing. Essentially, it's not an RPG because it's dumbed down.

The combat system is a modified RPG battle system from an RPG. Munchkin's combat system also does not remotely work the same as D&D's. No dice rolling (except for running and certain items), no deep decision making. You can't just say "it's not an RPG, it's an action-adventure!" while the game simply does nothing to establish such a thing. Essentially, it's not an RPG because it's dumbed down.
On top of that, the turn-based system is something they deliberately made the decision to bring back as it did not exist in Super Paper Mario. They could have made the decision to keep the battle system something like that if they didn't want to give the impression of the game being an RPG at all and really separate it from the Mario & Luigi games, but they deliberately decided to bring back the turn-based battle system and thus give the impression of the game being an RPG and slow-down battles for no particular reason compared to SPM's battle system.

And they decided to bring back the turn-based battle system from PM64 & TTYD, while ignoring not only the partner system, but also the badge system, the once thing above all else that really made the battle system in those games so fascinating. If they were going to bring back the turn-based battles anyway, they could have just as easily brought back Badges and all the depth they added to the game... but they didn't, only bringing back the turn-based aspect, slowing down battles from SPM for no real gain or anything interesting.

But that aside, as for how I personally feel on Sticker Star, I'll just quote an old post of mine that really laid out my feelings on that:
Very disappointing. :( Doubly so since it seems to have the same dilemma of Sticker Star, having what appears to be both wonderful aesthetics and music and stuff. Like seriously, I really wanted to give Sticker Star a chance since it had so many good points, but the gameplay just wasn't up to snuff, with Bowser being the worst offender, having several different phases which each demanded their own very specific Important Thing stickers to be able to defeat (which is compounded by the problem of having to fight Final Kamek right before him who, just like in the other fights with him in the game, turns all your stickers into Sandals stickers during the fight so unless you memorized where you put your important stickers you could very easily use stuff you intended to save for Bowser on accident and even if you avoid that the problem was further compounded by Kamek being able to use an attack that just wiped out an entire row of your stickers, including the ones you need for Bowser and if that happens, which you have no control over at all it's... definitely not a fun experience, to put it lightly. And if they're bringing back the item-checks for bosses like the Kooplaings, I can only imagine Bowser himself will play the same way again which wasn't very fun the first time, so...).

Gah, just so disappointed in this, since aesthetically it just looks so amazing! I really want to give it a chance, like I did Sticker Star. But if the item-check boss mechanic is back, I just can't, because I was burned by that the first time and can't be burned again. Either you have the item, and the bosses are pathetically easy, to the point where they might as well not even be "bosses" because you likely will have an easier time fighting them then you did some enemies (ugh, Sombrero Guys (an enemy in Sticker Star that can double the attack of all other enemies for several turns) in partnership with several other enemies *shudders*), and if you don't, they turn into a living hell.

Those should not be the only two options and the first two Paper Mario games prove it. With those, you had the Badge system, which gave you any number of options, which were all equally viable. Wanted to give Mario a "Dragoon" Jump-based build focused on using Jump-attacks on all kinds of different enemies? Great, works just fine! Want a Hammer Build? Equally viable. High-risk, high-reward "Peril" builds that make Mario do massive damage when in critical health? Works just fine, and is what the speedruns use during most of the games. Make Mario a tank instead with all kinds of HP and be able to endure anything that's thrown at him? Can do. Just invest in as much Atk and make every attack hurt as much as possible? Etc, etc, etc. Sticker Star and from what it appears, Color Splash, have none of that, and instead exist on a binary--either easy-peasy if you have the Important Thing sticker/card you need, or possible but a living hell if you don't.

And I can understand them wanting to differentiate the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi Series (though between M&L being focused around Bro. Attacks and completely outright dodging enemy attacks, which you can't do in Paper Mario, and Paper Mario having its Badge system and its Partner system focused on characters outside of Mario & Luigi, I felt they had plenty of different, but that's really beside the point). That's all fine, if that's really want they want to do. But then why continue pretending the game is an RPG in that case? That is, why keep the turn-based battle system? That just slows the gameplay down and retains a similarity to the Mario & Luigi games that's completely unnecessary if they really want to differentiate them from one another. If that's really want they want to do, building on the real-time system from Super Paper Mario and using these paint-attacks and stuff in real time would be much more experimental and help them stand apart better.

But yeah, just do disappointing since despite this the game very obviously does have a number of strong points like Sticker Star in the form of stuff like the aesthetics and the music and stuff. Like, it's very obvious that they did make the world look as much like various types of paper and cardboard and stuff, and that's amazing! And that's why I really wish this game and Sticker Star were truly good, so they could shine and be more recognzied for that stuff. But none of that really matters if the gamepaly isn't there to back it up, and I'm just not seeing that here so far, so this will have to be a pass for me again. Just can't make that mistake again, especially since I have much less free cash then I did when I tried Sticker Star and could take risks on this stuff. :(

xevis

Banned

I think you're projecting your expectations onto this game that's one thing and then complaining it's not something else. You're looking at the turn-based combat and you're like "oh! this could so easily be an RPG! why doesn't it play more like an RPG??!?". And of course the answer is because it isn't an RPG. There's no rule that says all games that have turns must be RPGs. You concluded that all on your own.

IMO, taken for what it is, Sticker Star is pretty good. I had zero experience with Paper Mario when I picked it up and zero expectations as a result. I thought it was great.

I think you're projecting your expectations onto this game that's one thing and then complaining it's not something else. You're looking at the turn-based combat and you're like "oh! this could so easily be an RPG! why doesn't it play more like an RPG??!?". And of course the answer is because it isn't an RPG. There's no rule that says all games that have turns must be RPGs. You concluded that all on your own.

IMO, taken for what it is, Sticker Star is pretty good.

As I note in my post, both in terms of my specific statement and the fact that I brought up the RPG criticism like once, I went into this game giving it every chance in the world. If it was the only Paper Mario game, I would hate it only slightly less.

I also said nothing of the sort. I said that they took a half measure. Instead of making a great RPG or making a great adventure game, they seemed to want to evoke the original games at the detriment of this game's quality. The turn-based combat offers so much less value than a quality real-time combat engine could.

xevis

Banned
As I note in my post, both in terms of my specific statement and the fact that I brought up the RPG criticism like once, I went into this game giving it every chance in the world. If it was the only Paper Mario game, I would hate it only slightly less.

I tried to address your other points too?

I also said nothing of the sort. I said that they took a half measure. Instead of making a great RPG or making a great adventure game, they seemed to want to evoke the original games at the detriment of this game's quality. The turn-based combat offers so much less value than a quality real-time combat engine could.

Sticker Star is not an RPG by half measures or indeed by any measure and these kinds of comparisons only seem to lead to hyperbole and shit-posting. Can we please stop talking about it in these terms?

xevis

Banned

Great post, btw. Quoting to signal boost.

I tried to address your other points too?

Sticker Star is not an RPG by half measures or indeed by any measure and these kinds of comparisons only seem to lead to hyperbole and shit-posting. Can we please stop talking about it in these terms?

Oh my lord...

This game was started as an RPG. Turn-based battles exist in this game because they are a relic of what it once was. Not because this is how they wanted to do an adventure game - they repurposed it as an adventure game but did not consider the issue of having more or less the same engine as your previous RPG counterparts. It is patently absurd to make the argument that Sticker Star does not have RPG elements because whoops, leveling up is gone! Except, of course, how you gain HP as you progress and your inventory grows from beating bosses.

Seriously, I am in legitimate awe that you're actively arguing that a type of combat found almost exclusively in role-playing games. The only games that aren't RPGs that I can think of that use this combat style are straight up non-RPG strategy games, and Sticker Star definitely ain't that.

Unless your argument is "RPGs require that you level up", Sticker Star blatantly features RPG elements. This is almost as obtuse as people arguing that Pokémon doesn't qualify as a JRPG.

(also no, if you are going to berate people for making the factual observation of RPG elements, I will happily respond.)

Krammy

Were any of these environments used in the final game?

lSPCqeY.png

All the backgrounds I've seen in screenshots of Sticker Star look like hot garbage compared to these early shots.

EDIT: Blocky papercraft stuff like this is what I've mostly seen from Sticker Star.

rCk3Tnt.png

xevis

Banned
Oh my lord...

This game was started as an RPG.

The creative process is never straight-forward. The developers may well have started trying to do one thing but they ended up with something else. Something that isn't an RPG. That isn't trying to be an RPG. That you probably shouldn't play as though it were an RPG.

Time to build a bridge.

Seriously, I am in legitimate awe that you're actively arguing that a type of combat found almost exclusively in role-playing games. The only games that aren't RPGs that I can think of that use this combat style are straight up non-RPG strategy games, and Sticker Star definitely ain't that.

Mechanics from one genre are re-purposed for another all the time. Why is turn-based combat special? FWIW, I thought Sticker Star's combat played like a rhythm game more than anything else. It encourages you to time your attacks and it rewards you for your dexterity and efficiency. The stickers provide variety and a small bit of problem solving. The fact that they're consumables just re-inforces the fact that it's not an RPG.

Rodin

Lol at people still shitting on Miyamoto because how this game turned out (good btw), like he's the one who made it. He gave some notes and IS liked them, so they went for it. They made the game, not Miyamoto. If they didn't like that direction, they could've done things differently.

Also, a 1/10 is a score for an unplayable piece of shit, which SS isn't. Get out of here.

CrisKre

The game is great. I found the OP to be exceedingly hyperbolic to jump on a bandwagon that quite frankly is getting old and tired.

xevis

Banned
pssssst

that started in super mario rpg, which is a well known rpg

Is Sticker Star trying to sell itself as an RPG? Did the box make you sweet promises of loot and levels that weren't true? No? Then who fucking cares! Game series change genres all the time. Look at Mario Bros vs SMB. Zelda 2 vs. Zelda 1. DKC vs. Donkey Kong. Heck, Super Paper Mario certainly wasn't an RPG and that was great too!

Lol at people still shitting on Miyamoto because how this game turned out (good btw), like he's the one who made it. He gave some notes and IS liked them, so they went for it. They made the game, not Miyamoto. If they didn't like that direction, they could've done things differently.

Also, a 1/10 is a score for an unplayable piece of shit, which SS isn't. Get out of here.

I gave it a 1 out of 10 because I literally had almost nothing about it - aside from things like audio and visuals - that I found enjoyable. My best-case mood with this game was neutral - ie, where it wasn't offending my sensibilities. Typically though? I just kind of hated nearly every single thing about it. The only thing that I can particularly say that I enjoyed about it was Gooper Blooper's rhythmic thing, and if every battle did that, I'd have loved it because I love rhythm in games. The idea of timing input to the music would have been something Paper Mario games never did, and would make timing more varied and dynamic. Otherwise, the battle system was just terrible. I didn't just skip the battles as much as possible because the battle economy is messed up, I did it because very often, the frustration was from the battles more than anything else.

I can't give Sonic 06 a 1 because I laughed at it.

I can't give Metroid: Other M a 1 because the gameplay is tolerable.

I can't give amiibo Festival a 1 because it's kind of cute and pleasant.

I can give Sticker Star a 1 because I have never experienced as frustrating, annoying, depressing, and miserable game in my life. And for me, I don't reserve 1/10 for "a broken game." Walking Dead is broken as fuck, but it's able to rise above that for its quality. Custer's Revenge is a game I consider one of the worst ever, but it's not a broken game either.

The game is great. I found the OP to be exceedingly hyperbolic to jump on a bandwagon that quite frankly is getting old and tired.

I bought it day one on eShop, and went into this game ready to accept it for what it was. I was an ardent defender of it pre-release - stating that while some of the decisions are weird, all that matters is whether they can pull their idea off. Characterizing me as jumping on a bandwagon when in fact I have disliked this game since I played it in 2012 is silly and actively operates only as a substitute for a proper rebuttal. If you found it old and tired, perhaps you shouldn't have read the thread.

Is Sticker Star trying to sell itself as an RPG? Did the box make you sweet promises of loot and levels that weren't true? No? Then who fucking cares! Game series change genres all the time. Look at Mario Bros vs SMB. Zelda 2 vs. Zelda 1. DKC vs. Donkey Kong. Heck, Super Paper Mario certainly wasn't an RPG and that was great too!

No one is calling it an RPG. We are pointing out that it has RPG mechanics. I really don't understand why this point is so thoroughly lost on you, but bringing up SPM kind of makes it clear that you're not hearing us, because yes, Super Paper Mario isn't an RPG. It is a platformer that very clearly is inspired by its predecessors - there's a reason why back in the day, people talked about how Paper Mario was 70% RPG and 30% platformer and that Super Paper Mario is 30% RPG and 70% platformer.

No one is saying "Paper Mario Sticker Star is an RPG." People are telling you that it has RPG mechanics. It didn't coincidentally take the turn-based battles found in all Mario RPGs prior to it, and it certainly didn't do it because it made for a better game. It did it because it, for whatever reason, did not know how to move past the relics of the games. It's like how modern day Marios still have 1UPs, even though the punishment for losing all of your 1UPs has changed from starting the entire game over to losing your checkpoint in a level.

Ms.Galaxy

Gonna correct you there, Super Paper Mario was still an RPG. It was just not a turn based one, it was action based.

xevis

Banned
Gonna correct you there, Super Paper Mario was still an RPG. It was just not a turn based one, it was action based.

It's been a long long time since I played SPM. Maybe I'm just mis-remembering things? Anyway, happy to be corrected.

No one is saying "Paper Mario Sticker Star is an RPG." People are telling you that it has RPG mechanics. .

I'm trying to telling you this is a stupid point from which to begin critiquing the game. "Oh this game has RPG mechanics but they're half-assed because XYZ".

When people invoke the term "RPG mechanics" they refer to some mechanism whereby a game plays more like an RPG. Levels, skill trees, item drops, equippables etc. Sticker Star has none of this. It doesn't try to play like an RPG. The battles may look like they're ripped from a turn-based RPG but they play completely differently and the result is nothing like an RPG.

Shit is different. OK?

I'm trying to telling you this is a stupid point from which to begin critiquing the game. "Oh this game has RPG mechanics but they're half-assed because XYZ".

When people invoke the term "RPG mechanics" they refer to some mechanism whereby a game plays more like an RPG. Levels, skill trees, item drops, equippables etc. Sticker Star has none of this. It doesn't try to play like an RPG. The battles may look like they're ripped from a turn-based RPG but they play completely differently and the result is nothing like an RPG.

Shit is different. OK?

They don't play completely differently. All you've argued at this point is that Sticker Star isn't an RPG because it's too shallow to be one. Which, I mean, we've had shitty RPGs before.

I am critiquing the game because it sells itself as an adventure game, and yet has distracting RPG elements that prevent it from actually being an interesting or fulfilling entry in that genre. Instead, all we get is a watered down Paper Mario with worse puzzles.

Top Bottom