• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I started this a couple days ago and so far it's decent.

What I like about it:

The world is gorgeous. One of the most visually impressive I've ever seen honestly. So many plants and lifeforms all over the place. It doesn't feel like the world has 1,000 different points of interest on the map like most Ubisoft games and I don't feel like it wants me to spend 150 hours on it on nonsense.

Weapons and guns feel impactful, good, and responsive.

Platforming is pretty cool and fluid.

What I don't like about it:

Menu systems are confusing. So many sub menus that seem to have relevance. Like pinning plants and even shops have alternate menus where they offer gifts and stuff. Also the way menus expand is weird. Like when you click on a quest it's hard to tell the entry underneath it is for the same quest. It doesn't really show it branching out in a very obvious way.

This game seems to really push you toward stealth and maybe I just suck at it so far, but it seems like each area doesn't offer a ton of stealth options and aren't constructed to promote stealth. It feels inconsistent. You get a mission to destroy or disable some things and there are a ton of enemies walking around, but it feels like to get through it without alerting anyone is WAY more trouble than it's worth and really annoying. So I stopped trying and I just go full on action.

I'm not very far in, but I haven't played a Far Cry style game in a while, so wanted to give this a try.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It is very hard to play this game stealthily. they dont give you a lot of tools to take out enemies stealthily. its fairly basic in that respect. just play it as a shooter and use guns.

the game is very beautiful but unlike other ubisoft games, its just not very fun to play. maybe we do need those ubisoft check markers and upgrade systems because this was arguably the most boring ubisoft game ive ever played.

the campaign missions especially are almost all held indoors and require you to basically investigate and hack and they are tedious as fuck. this is not what an avatar game should be.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The way the AI acts and with how aggressive it is makes it impossible to play stealthily to knock out the garden variety Ubi Outposts tm

Then all hell breaks loose and it becomes a super sloppy firefight. It just doesnt feel good to play, especially during intense combat.

Edit: Ah Snake nailed it

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I tried it on a free weekend thing for a bit. I was surprised how little it grabbed me because I like the movies, and it is a very nice looking game. I think I bailed out after a couple hours. Just felt like the 1st person perspective doesn't really compliment the focus on stealth, agility, and platforming. I didn't think the environment had a lot of recognizable landmarks either, because the high detail foliage makes it pretty unintuitive to navigate without the map and markers. I may pick it up on a deep sale in a few years.

I've had it in my Wish list since it became available on Steam. I've already skipped a couple of sales. Came close to buying it and chickened out.
I'll hit the buy button next sale, maybe.

GHG

Gold Member
Pretty much agree with your first impressions, I found the game lacks that "hook" to compel me to play past like 5 hours or so.

That's the case with most Ubisoft games for me so sounds pretty standard.

Last edited:
This game seems to really push you toward stealth and maybe I just suck at it so far, but it seems like each area doesn't offer a ton of stealth options and aren't constructed to promote stealth. It feels inconsistent. You get a mission to destroy or disable some things and there are a ton of enemies walking around, but it feels like to get through it without alerting anyone is WAY more trouble than it's worth and really annoying. So I stopped trying and I just go full on action.

It's just Crysis, or diet Crysis nowadays since every patch lowered the difficulty. Do some recon, make a plan, execute it fast and clean or Rambo your way out if needed.
Food enables your gameplay style. Even the basic food bonuses are big, which means they're meant to be always active based on what you want to do.
Also the hacking tool works on most outpost objectives and you can store hacks to execute simultaneously.
I didn't think the environment had a lot of recognizable landmarks either, because the high detail foliage makes it pretty unintuitive to navigate without the map and markers. I may pick it up on a deep sale in a few years.
The second biome is all about ridiculously huge vistas across the plains! The movie jungle is only one third of the map.

so, the game's like the movie: very pretty & not very imaginative? i enjoyed the movie, but it's an extremely simplistic, 'parable' type fantasy, with, to my mind, nowhere to really go beyond it's ending. i thought massive might be able to do something with it, but i guess not, & can understand why. there just really isn't much there to work with...

RPS37

It was the best looking game I’ve ever played when it came out, but it was way too hard for me.
The devs literally had to make the easy setting easier at some point.

Xtib81

Bought it a few weeks ago, played it for 10 hours and dropped it. I'd say the game is decent but quite boring. I've never been a big fan of avatar so it doesn't help. Everything is decent in this game but it doesn't bring anything new to the table. It's your typical Ubi game on an alien planet. You get the same boring dialogues with bad facial animations, the same braind dead AI, the same clunky cinematics, the same objectives etc..
On PS5, the game looks overall good but nothing crazy, especially the draw distance or when you look at those ugly ass clouds. The micro details are to be saluted though. However, We're far from the reveal trailer.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Oh like Senua's Saga: Hellblade II?
/runs
chasing-gifkaro.gif

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm further in the game and it seems every side quest involves foraging, which is really grating on my last nerve. And also, I have no idea how this was even a thing in the game... I don't know if this was an oversight or if the devs thought this was a good idea, but some materials you need to fly up to the top of trees with your Ikran, leap off and just pass through fruit to collect them. It's incredibly stupid. It almost feels like you're cheesing it, but this is the way and only way to collect this fruit of a specific quality to complete a quest. Reeks of total design laziness.

nashman

It was the best looking game I’ve ever played when it came out, but it was way too hard for me.
The devs literally had to make the easy setting easier at some point.
Is it thou?
I’m playing on medium and was shocked when your basic ass wood arrows will 2/3 shot the mechs if you can hit the large cockpit. All humans are one shot even to body or one melee to body.

fruit. It's incredibly stupid. It almost feels like you're cheesing it, but this is the way and only way to collect this fruit of a specific quality to complete a quest. Reeks of total design laziness.
It's on sale again on Steam, $34.99, I think it's time I bit the bullet. I'll just need to remember cheese the fruit, Cheese the Fruit.

Is it thou?
I’m playing on medium and was shocked when your basic ass wood arrows will 2/3 shot the mechs if you can hit the large cockpit. All humans are one shot even to body or one melee to body.
They used to do more damage. They were also flanking experts, had better hearing and went into combat mode very quickly. Every patch nerfs the AI.

FeastYoEyes

It's on sale again on Steam, $34.99, I think it's time I bit the bullet. I'll just need to remember cheese the fruit, Cheese the Fruit.
I wouldn't unless you are starved for Avatar. The graphics don't carry very far and the Far Cryness of it doesn't gel with the game mechanics (for reasons you see above).

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Is there any easy way to farm spare parts? My god, you only get like 1 or 2 at a time and some things cost like 80 spare parts. Seems over the top grindy. I wanted to buy a new shotgun and it appears I have to grind like 4 hours for it, and once I buy it, it'll probably be obsolete in less than the time it took to save up for it. Seems like this system was horribly designed unless there's a way to easily farm these that I'm missing.

hussar16

The game does to much far cry and not enough avatar. I found the chill navi sections to be the best part of the game and the shooting battle sections to be boring and tedious. Most of the time the game just tries to give you boring cheklist of thibgs to destory which im bored of and stopped playing already. The game heavily needed a follower that guided you through the world espwcialy in the begining parts to help you with quests finding things explaining the world etc. Without it the world just feels like empty filler. The battles are boring tedious and it should alot of navi attacking the setrlement where you plan it out etc not rambo threw it. Basicly as ubisoft as ubisoft game gets .ubisoft really needs better game directors that have proper game direction like rockstar games do because i know for a fact none of these people playthrough the game from start to finsih and can say all the times through playing it held intrest and was fun.

hussar16

Bought it a few weeks ago, played it for 10 hours and dropped it. I'd say the game is decent but quite boring. I've never been a big fan of avatar so it doesn't help. Everything is decent in this game but it doesn't bring anything new to the table. It's your typical Ubi game on an alien planet. You get the same boring dialogues with bad facial animations, the same braind dead AI, the same clunky cinematics, the same objectives etc..
On PS5, the game looks overall good but nothing crazy, especially the draw distance or when you look at those ugly ass clouds. The micro details are to be saluted though. However, We're far from the reveal trailer.
Honestly the quikest band aid fix for the game would have ben a follower or guide threw the whole game. Or someone you can tell to sit back at world tree. They would aid you in finding items expalining the world and stories etc.instead its a dead boring game

hussar16

The way the AI acts and with how aggressive it is makes it impossible to play stealthily to knock out the garden variety Ubi Outposts tm

Then all hell breaks loose and it becomes a super sloppy firefight. It just doesnt feel good to pay, especially during intense combat.

Edit: Ah Snake nailed it
Honeslty the otposts shoulf be alot of navi at least 5 attacking the posts.because they are tedious and chaotic . i could see the outpost fights being fun if more navi were fighting with you but ubisoft gona ubisoft .they dont care to make game fun

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I bailed out after less than 10 hours or so, extremely low enemy variety and minigames to pick stuff was a big no no for me.

Graphic was by far the best thing.

Top Bottom