• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dead Space (PS3) 2008

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
DeadSpace.jpg

Coming from just beating dead space the original on PS3 and wow do I think this game is good, this is the thing, the timing of killing the necromorphs and enemy variety is 100 % fun.

dead-space-featured.jpg

Crazy, there’s more.

You can tell dead space is for sure inspired by Alien, resident evil 4, and Bioshock. The The USG Ishimura has a soul similar to the rapture in Bioshock, if you took the scary enemies out of the game the environment alone makes it spooky.

here%2Bcomes%2Ba%2Bmonster.png

Let’s be honest third person was cool but dead space fps would have been amazing.

Dead space was my shit over the past two weeks, the “planet cracker” usg Ishimura is enormous, I imagine it’s what the future is and a nerd would be in heaven here from all the technical aspects of his ship and world. Imagine “cracking” planets and discovering alien life. Crazy.

What also makes dead space good is the store, upgrade, maps, and save systems. The R3 button guidance system is also a good addition that basically shows you where to go if you’re lost.

arph91t78KI9.jpg

88/100 “AAA”

Dead Space GIF

PS3 and everyone used browns, and grey colors.

Lets Go Horror GIF by Dead Space

The main character this mother fucker.

Overall the controls are quick, playing this 16 years ago must have been crazy, the mini boss battles, added trophies, the interesting signs and I think looking back we will view the original dead space as a classic.

dead-space-2008-and-remake-complete-v0-rjboyfsdqkfd1.png

The game makes you anxious in a good way #1 the environment #2 enemies this was next level gameplay.

What did GAF think of Dead Space?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Dead Space is one of my favourite survival horror, it get inspiration from RE4 but it has enough unique mechanic that makes the game very different than other survival horror games.

As much I like this 1st game, the second game is better in my opinion. Its ONLY series I ever liked from EA.

3rd game doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I remember playing this game in 2008 and being completely blown away. Definitely took inspiration from RE4 but carved a unique identity with the dismemberment gameplay - I loved how it reinforced that you could be a mobile, capable killing machine but still cultivated that atmosphere of dread. Wait until you play Part 2!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's been a long time since I played the game, but I loved it.

Now that the dust has settled... how did the remake turn out? All I remember hearing was that there were a ton of stuttering issues on PC.

Soodanim

I loved it. It huge to get a new survival horror franchise that seemed to pick up the path that Resident Evil stopped taking, and both it and its sequel were great times.

Didn't even bother with 3 with its microtransactions, shared ammo, and co-op stuff. Played the demo but that was it.

I'm long overdue for another playthrough of DS1, and I don't feel the need to buy the remake.

I assume the PC version is fixed these days - talk to me PC GAF

Mr Hyde

Dead Space was so fucking good when it came. Absolutely loved everything with it, so much I platinumed it. The fact DS was inspired by Event Horizon was even better because I think that movie is very underrated. The remake is great too. The graphical overhaul and quality of life makes it a better game.

Nickolaidas

Much better horror game than its remake. Meatier audio design, creepier environmental storytelling, and the new team chose to ruin Hammond's logical asshole persona.
No. The original is worse in every aspect except the VA for certain characters, like Dr Kyne. His original VA is perfect, the remake's ... just doesn't gel. Other than that, DS Remake has much better visuals, a HELLUVA lot better shading and lighting and makes the Ishimura look TRULY hostile, much more fluid and satisfying combat mechanics, better feel of peeling of Necromorph flesh, more content, 3D audio, non-mute Isaac ...

Kendra not being a complete bitch to Hammond in the remake makes sense, considering, and Hammond NOT acting like he wants to repair the Ishimura after being assaulted by alien zombies fixes one of his stupidest character traits in the original. "Your lack of trust in me, IS dully noted, Miss Daniels, but I have a mission to complete and I'm going to do it with or without you." Dude, you just discovered an alien species which has overrun an entire spaceship and killed half your squad within five minutes. What the fuck are you talking about? This isn't a repair mission anymore. This isn't remotely by the book, and you acting like it is makes you look fucking insane. it was the stupidest scene in the original and I'm happy they did away with it.

EverydayBeast

Interesting to see the Hammond comments I didn’t take anything he said personally or Kendra.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
What did GAF think of Dead Space?
It's the best game of its kind - it's basically the ultimate evolution of what RE4 and Doom3 tried to be but never quite got there respectively.
It's also the best game in its own series - yes including the Remake - which was both blatantly unnecessary and even a regression in some ways. Actually the moment Isaac became a chatterbox, is when the series went off the rails.

bender

What time is it?
The atmosphere is great and Visceral's take on UI was extraordinary. From a game play perspective, it does a lot of things right and it was nice to have a game that inverted the concept of enemy headshots. I do think it is let down by enemy variety and how enemies always pop out of undamaged vents does get a little predictable and stale. I loved it when it released but I do think I enjoy it less every time I replay it.

Killer8

No. The original is worse in every aspect except the VA for certain characters, like Dr Kyne. His original VA is perfect, the remake's ... just doesn't gel. Other than that, DS Remake has much better visuals, a HELLUVA lot better shading and lighting and makes the Ishimura look TRULY hostile, much more fluid and satisfying combat mechanics, better feel of peeling of Necromorph flesh, more content, 3D audio, non-mute Isaac ...

Little of what you describe as better in the remake translates directly to better horror. 3D audio? Nice technology but who gives a shit when the impact of the SFX itself is butchered.

Here is the infamous BART train room in the original:

The game goes from the empty silence of space to the most ear wrenching noise imaginable. Metal grinding on metal, rising in crescendo as if something terrible is about to happen. The shadows in the room violently shaking all over the place. You want to get out the room as fast as humanly possible.

Now here is the remake's sad interpretation:

All impact lost. Just sounds like a diesel engine room in a big boat. Doesn't built to anything. Lighting is not nearly as intense either.

But let's not also overlook the design intent of this original room. In the original director's words, this room was an exercise in "how do we scare people just with sound, no monsters, no nothing?":

What do EA Motive decide to do? Gorsh, this room is really boring now we've fucked with the original so much - we need to add in a big monster blob to shoot at to make it interesting again. So I guess they failed that exercise...

Ironically the original BART room was one of the safest rooms in the game where absolutely nothing happens, yet it's regarded as one of the scariest. And all you needed for that was a good stereo sound mix.

Kendra not being a complete bitch to Hammond in the remake makes sense, considering, and Hammond NOT acting like he wants to repair the Ishimura after being assaulted by alien zombies fixes one of his stupidest character traits in the original. "Your lack of trust in me, IS dully noted, Miss Daniels, but I have a mission to complete and I'm going to do it with or without you." Dude, you just discovered an alien species which has overrun an entire spaceship and killed half your squad within five minutes. What the fuck are you talking about? This isn't a repair mission anymore. This isn't remotely by the book, and you acting like it is makes you look fucking insane. it was the stupidest scene in the original and I'm happy they did away with it.

Kendra's attitude in the original added to the conflict of the game. Seeing the personality clash between her and Hammond provided a ton of drama right from the start. The dynamic of Hammond, the authoritative captain struggling to maintain control while the mission crumbles around him, versus Kendra, the person who is questioning basically every decision he makes (while having her own ulterior motive), was fantastically well executed.

The "your lack of trust in me" scene at the start of the game is emotionally believable if you have ever met anyone who insists on being right. People are not always rational - even the cold and calculating types like Hammond. Put that in a horror setting and that is where all the drama (and the fun) comes from. Nobody wants autistics in horror, they want the cheerleader who decides to go back in the house.

My opinion of Peter Mensah's performance is that it's a top five in a videogame. You don't sacrifice performances like that on the alter of making the plot make slightly more sense. Lore nerds might be able to argue that in the remake this or that made more sense, was more developed, more believable - blah blah blah - but the end result was flat performances which lost all the teeth that the original had.

Last edited:
Great game. I have the remake and played a bit, it's fine, but it just made me want to play the OG. I still don't see the point of the remake. The OG still looks stunning, hasn't aged a bit if you're playing on a 1080p TV and I prefer the characters in the original. Silent Isaac was great.

Not a complaint but it shouldn't be referred to as Survival Horror. It's an action horror game. Big difference.

Original is amazing, remake is amazinger. Just a great game. I'm actually playing through the remake again and the added dimension to the level design makes the place really come alive for me.

The game holds up more than fine. Except for the asteroid minigame, which was always a trash roadblock. Remake felt very unnecessary and gave me softlocks/bugs that weren't there before.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's been a long time since I played the game, but I loved it.

Now that the dust has settled... how did the remake turn out? All I remember hearing was that there were a ton of stuttering issues on PC.
cant speak to PC performance but overall it's well done on PS5.

Little of what you describe as better in the remake translates directly to better horror. 3D audio? Nice technology but who gives a shit when the impact of the SFX itself is butchered.

The game goes from the empty silence of space to the most ear wrenching noise imaginable. Metal grinding on metal, rising in crescendo as if something terrible is about to happen. The shadows in the room violently shaking all over the place. You want to get out the room as fast as humanly possible.

All impact lost. Just sounds like a diesel engine room in a big boat. Doesn't built to anything. Lighting is not nearly as intense either.

But let's not also overlook the design intent of this original room. In the original director's words, this room was an exercise in "how do we scare people just with sound, no monsters, no nothing?":

What do EA Motive decide to do? Gorsh, this room is really boring now we've fucked with the original so much - we need to add in a big monster blob to shoot at to make it interesting again. So I guess they failed that exercise...

Ironically the original BART room was one of the safest rooms in the game where absolutely nothing happens, yet it's regarded as one of the scariest. And all you needed for that was a good stereo sound mix.

Kendra's attitude in the original added to the conflict of the game. Seeing the personality clash between her and Hammond provided a ton of drama right from the start. The dynamic of Hammond, the authoritative captain struggling to maintain control while the mission crumbles around him, versus Kendra, the person who is questioning basically every decision he makes (while having her own ulterior motive), was fantastically well executed.

The "your lack of trust in me" scene at the start of the game is emotionally believable if you have ever met anyone who insists on being right. People are not always rational - even the cold and calculating types like Hammond. Put that in a horror setting and that is where all the drama (and the fun) comes from. Nobody wants autistics in horror, they want the cheerleader who decides to go back in the house.

My opinion of Peter Mensah's performance is that it's a top five in a videogame. You don't sacrifice performances like that on the alter of making the plot make slightly more sense. Lore nerds might be able to argue that in the remake this or that made more sense, was more developed, more believable - blah blah blah - but the end result was flat performances which lost all the teeth that the original had.

This post is why I think that remakes will fall out of favor at some point. Not because it's wrong. But because there is absolutely no way, that any remake can make everybody happy, and it is by far the most likely to piss off the people who like the original game the most. Every single remake turns out to be a monkey paw in some way or another.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Dead Space is the only good game heavily influenced by RE4.

I'm going to be pissed if DS2 remake was actually cancelled, because Callisto Protocol had to release around the same time as DS Remake.

Nickolaidas

I must be in the minority then, because this room did shit for me in the original and did shit for me in the remake as well. I simply didn't care about it. Whatever Schofield (or however the fuck he's called) aimed to do with this room, it never worked for me. So I cannot say which version is better - I care for neither.
I can't say that the dynamic is 'fantastically well executed' when the narrative falls apart once you stop and think about it for five seconds. Considering what Kendra wants to do, and considering how half her squad (pawns) are disposed of in the first five minutes, the last thing she would do would be to try and sow distrust and paranoia in the group. It makes no sense, obstacle-wise, goal-wise, use-your-head-god-dammit-wise. She needs all the help she can get and she cannot afford to lose the two allies she has left FROM THE GET GO. Hammond should not be referring to the CEC manual when what is happening is literally a waking nightmare scenario. I'm not saying he should be shitting bricks, but he shouldn't be like, 'um, we came here to fix the plumbing, so that's what we should do', unless he's in shock and this is his way of dealing with it (but the game doesn't show you anything supporting that theory). Seriously, this could be a sketch for a Robot Chicken parody. It's flat-out asinine. This is a case of a character accommodating the story and is bad writing 101. The remake saying 'fuck that' was very well needed, and it is only after Kendra feels a lot more safer in Isaac's survival skills that she begins to spin her web. THAT makes sense.

I'm not saying that the remake does everything right, but it does a LOT more things better than the original. And I am looking at the whole package - gameplay, graphics, lighting, controls, enemy variety, atmosphere - I am not just looking at from a 'is this recreated 1:1 in the remake?' perspective.

Objectively, from a general viewpoint, DS Remake is the better game to me.

KillerKowalski

Neo Member
Dead Space is one of my favourite survival horror, it get inspiration from RE4 but it has enough unique mechanic that makes the game very different than other survival horror games.

As much I like this 1st game, the second game is better in my opinion. Its ONLY series I ever liked from EA.

3rd game doesn't exist.
EA has had an insane amount of franchises... I'd be willing to bet yoy like a few more than Dead Space

Cao Cao

Thank god you played the best version. Can't believe how they fuck up the characters in the Remake. Kendra stretching her hand out in the end, fuck off.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DS2 was better IMO
DS2 is the example of what happens when a marketing exec gets the 'brilliant' idea to add 'more Uncharted' into their existing IP, and all of their knowledge of Uncharted is based off of Kevin Butler trailers.
It's not that it was a terrible game (it was entertaining, and objectively the best looking DeadSpace of the trilogy) - but I quite literally couldn't remember 90% of the story 5 minutes after I saw end-credits roll. Bland is the only way I can think of describing it - and while DS1 wasn't perfect - what it wasn't - was forgettable and unremarkable.

Most arguments for remakes not respecting the original's vision make me roll my eyes, like people are grasping at straws, or picking at a minute detail just to show that they're "purer" fans than the remake creators. But your BART room example with clips from Glen the man himself saying what they were going for in 2008; it's undeniable and hard to argue that the impact wasn't lost in the remake.

To be clear, I enjoy both the original and the remake (replaying the remake right now, actually), but you make a good case here. Enough that I felt compelled to respond to let you know.

EverydayBeast

Game is on sale now over at steam for chump change could be an opportunity for some, dead space 1 had a pretty good identity, I started the sequel today, the main character is talking, the city is sweet.

Quezacolt

Loved the OG. Have 2 copies of it.

Bought the remake day 1, it was the game i replayed the most on my ps5 last year. Outside of some VA changes, i think the remake is superior to the og in basically every aspect.

This just makes me sad that we might never see a DS2 remake.

Muffdraul

I had such a great experience with that game. When it was announced, "EA is making a new futuristic sci fi survival horror game," I couldn't have been less interested, I assumed it would be the most banal and mediocre POS in history. Once in a while I'd see part a preview out of the corner of my eye but nothing that would grab me. I particularly thought the choice to have the lead character wear a goofy looking suit of armor the color of poo was a dumb design decision. I was all set to completely ignore Dead Space for the rest of eternity. Then one day I saw a video on Kotaku, it was titled something like "Mini boss battle goes horribly wrong." Of course I had no context at the time, but it was Isaac fighting a Brute in that room where you have to statsis the three whipping power cables so you can reach the switch to re-route power to the ADS cannons. That one little video was all it took for me to do a complete 180. I pre-ordered Dead Space and it was only a couple of months away. Then the release got bumped forward from Halloween to the middle of October, which just happened to be when I'd had a week long staycation scheduled for months. I did like six completely play-throughs that week. It was easily my pick for GOTY 2008 and high in the running for my favorite new IP of the PS360 gen. It held up so well over the years, I really wasn't that interested in a remake... but I'll be damned if the 2023 remake isn't a masterclass in how to properly remake a modern game.

Chaps my hind when people claim "Dead Space was survival horror and Dead Space 2 is an action shooter." The sequel is very very similar in tone to the first game and yes there is a bit more action, but certainly not enough to put it in a different fucking subgenre.

The case of DS2 was EA execs doing shitty things. That was back when EA kept chiming into the development to demand to add things and setting unrealistic sales goals on their games.

Top Bottom