• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Def Jam: Fight For NY

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Despite the "urban" setting and projected audience, Fight for NY was a pretty decent game that had great appeal.

The story was pretty passable for a fighting game, and the fighting styles had differences in them to allow people with a particular preference some variety, especially when you learned additional styles and created a "hidden" fighting style like Cruiserweight, Drunken Fist or Jeet Kun Do.

You could customize your character with all types of clothing and jewelry, haircuts, tattoos, and even pick up to 4 Blazing Moves to map to the analog stick. You could also level up your attributes like upper and lower body strength, charisma, etc.

The graphics were pretty good, most of the rappers and personalities looked like they were supposed to despite the exaggerated cartoonish graphics, and the Blazing Moves were out of this world awesome.

Its a same that debauchery that followed after this game (Def Jam ICON) singlehandedly destroyed the franchise and even closed a studio or two because of how badly the game did.

Intro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaTfo5TeX-E

All Blazing Moves, Taunts, and Characters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_E_pbMj91E

Walkthrough (PT 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2upYtTwvnk

Tamanon

Banned
Man, I used to play the hell out of that game with my buds. Didn't know most of the characters but loved all the different personality they brought. Some of those Blazings were absolutely brutal.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Man, I used to play the hell out of that game with my buds. Didn't know most of the characters but loved all the different personality they brought. Some of those Blazings were absolutely brutal.

It was pretty awesome when it came out. I remember playing Def Jam Vendetta and seeing this game in a magazine and though to myself how much I HAD to have it lol.

Kade

Best brawler of that generation. Played lots of it on the Gamecube along with SSBM. We referred to both games as Smash Brothers.

You could hear the despair of the entire video game nation when the Def Jam: Icon game came out and they COMPLETELY DESTROYED everything that was incredible about Def Jam: NY and Vendetta.

I still get pissed thinking about it. Def Jam was the only game that dominated the get togethers of the buddies and I, perhaps up there with Street Fighter.

EA Chicago really burned everyone with this game.

And I must say the style system was a brilliant design decision.

I liked the way they augmented whatever based style your character used. In a way this was probably the first great MMA game.

You could hear the despair of the entire video game nation when the Def Jam: Icon game came out and they COMPLETELY DESTROYED everything that was incredible about Def Jam: NY and Vendetta.

I still get pissed thinking about it. Def Jam was the only game that dominated the get togethers of the buddies and I, perhaps up there with Street Fighter.

EA Chicago really burned everyone with this game.

Goddamn why you gotta bring up Icon.

I want to forget.

sealrite

Neo Member
Flavor Flav's blazing was amazing. And I'm still waiting for Snoop Dogg to achieve his ultimate form as Snoop Crow.

The environmental interactions were pretty ahead of the game too. Really enjoyed FFNY, even though they took out the awesome move names from the first Def Jam. (Crooklyn Catnap y'all)

Also, "M-I-crooked letter crooked letter-I-humpback humpback-I make 'em all die."

Wynnebeck

Banned
Still one of the best brawlers of all time with a roster that still can't beat. I used to love doing tag team matches with my friends using Redman and Method Man.

Darknight

OMG I used to love to pay the shit out of this game. The "create a fighter" was great too! You could mix and match from all fighting styles if I remember correctly.

Shame EA (I think?) fucked the PS3/360 release with a POS game.

gryz

Banned
this game was so good

I was just telling people about this at a party last weekend and they didn't believe me that it was real

I still use all the quotes from that lame clothing store dude in my daily life

"D"

Best brawler of that generation. Played lots of it on the Gamecube along with SSBM. We referred to both games as Smash Brothers.

LOL

Dereck

ibb6SdTvjxEFfg.gif

iPJdUxK3MgFIh.gif

"D"

this game was so good

I was just telling people about this at a party last weekend and they didn't believe me that it was real

I still use all the quotes from that lame clothing store dude in my daily life

Bless them with some YouTube vids or a copy if you can find one....I still have mine for my PS2

Played the shit out of this on GameCube. The gameplay was so damn satisfying and the soundtrack was great (although I think the GC version was missing some?)

"D"

Played the shit out of this on GameCube. The gameplay was so damn satisfying and the soundtrack was great (although I think the GC version was missing some?)

The GC version was missing some tracks and I think a created character voice selection too.

so hows the psp version?

It's cool. Mostly like it's big brother with some additions. Mainly the fact that you can stack the same fighting style to make it even stronger. Loses a bit going portable but if need to get a fix then it'll service.

And every time this game gets brought up I have to point out that if you want to see how crazy a future iteration might have been to check out Kinnkuman Muscle Gran Prix 2 on PS2. Same pedgriee but it takes advantage of the nature of the license and dials it up a bit.

Still give it a run once a year. Love the mechanics and soundtrack. Game was so damn good would love an HD version or proper sequel.

[QUOTE="D";93916131]Despite the "urban" setting and projected audience, Fight for NY was a pretty decent game that had great appeal.[/QUOTE]

"despite" lol

"D"

If they made another one with today's rappers....I....I just don't know. Im sure the game would be fun but ugh.....I would just wish there was a section of the roster for like Old School or something.

"D"

"despite" lol

Lol im just saying, it might not have caught the eye of everybody cause of the "targeted demographic"...but those that gave it a chance im sure probably enjoyed it.

Kade

I jokingly searched "Def Jam: Fight For NY Tier List" and I guess one exists??? Fuck a tier list though. Ghostface C-tier. :/

S Tier:

Ludacris
Snoop Dogg (Crow)
D-Mob

A Tier:

Ice-T
Memphis Bleek
Xzibit
Prodigy
Havoc
Redman (Doc)
Crazy Legs
N.O.R.E
Warren G

B-Tier:

Capone
Freeway
Henry Rollins
Lil' Flip
Joe Budden
Busta Rhymes (Magic)
Sticky Fingaz
Jacob
Scarface
Slick Rick
Mack-10

C-Tier:

Baby Chris
Fam-Lay
Method Man (Blaze)
Fat Joe (Crack)
Bubba Sparxxx
WC
Ghostface Killah
Comp
Rome
David Banner
Dan G
Elephant Man
O.E.
Bless
Trick
House
Teck
Manny
Nyne
Pockets
Skull
Kimora
Sean Paul
Solo

D-Tier:

Meca
Baxter
Santos
Bo
Bone Crusher
Chiang
Cruz
Flava Flav
Starks
Masa
Trejo

Shit Tier:

Jervis

Some notes:

I believe Ludacris belongs at the top of the list due to his intense speed, allowing pressure to be put on your opponent. Speed plays a huge factor in this game, which is why Method Man and Fat Joe were pushed down to C-tier, because their wrestling fighting style is not like, Tekken King effective, only just slowing them down. Memphis Bleek and Xzibit are also basically underpowered versions of Ludacris.

There's a reason why Snoop and D-Mob are the final bosses of the game. D-Mob can dish out a hell of a beating, and take one as well, while Snoop Dogg has the balance of power and speed. Ice-T is basically an underpowered version of Snoop, which is why he made top A-tier.

Prodigy and Havoc also deserved A-Tier because both characters are basically Jack of All Trades characters, being able to have success in any situation. N.O.R.E and Warren G are basically underpowered versions of them, while Redman made A-Tier due to his speed, but he has both good Upper, and Lower Body power. Crazy Legs is very underestimated, having excellent speed as well, but a lacking upper power, meaning you'd have to rely on kicks only.

Jervis is shit tier because his stats put him at an incredible disadvantage. He loses health incredibly fast, and even his blazin' move does just a bit more damage than a normal grab from D-Mob or a wrestling character like Method Man. Taking on a character like D-Mob with Jervis is like trying to kill a Navy Seal with a Nerf Gun.

Busta Rhymes was also put into B tier because his normals are lacking, and the submission system forces you to rely on the same grabs the whole match if you're planning to work on a body part.

Flava Flav is D-Tier because he's a version of Snoop Dogg but doused in shit and urine.

Tattooth

[QUOTE="D";93919321]If they made another one with today's rappers....I....I just don't know. Im sure the game would be fun but ugh.....I would just wish there was a section of the roster for like Old School or something.[/QUOTE]

Did these games only have rappers on the Def Jam label? If not, I could see a new roster being quite good. Action Bronson, Killer Mike and El-P tag team, MC Ride and DOOM would all be pretty great.

Dereck

Def Jam: Fight for NY 2

starring

Trinidad Jame$
Questlove
Pusha T
2 Chainz
Kanye West
Nas
Frank Ocean
Young Jeezy
Big Sean
Big Boi
Jadakiss
Rihanna

[QUOTE="D";93919321]If they made another one with today's rappers....I....I just don't know. Im sure the game would be fun but ugh.....I would just wish there was a section of the roster for like Old School or something.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't happen. The game was a product of its' time. Hip-Hop back then wore it's bravado and influences on it's sleeve. DEF JAM was a perfect time capsule, and replacing the rappers with the new era would be disingenuous.

I could see a kingdom hearts style 'kid video' adventure game with the new guys, but the gritty, kung fu inspired, slum-ridden, chest pounding swagger of the old Def Jam games? Only an HD remaster would do it justice.

Considering the legal rights quagmire that EA would have to deal with to get this remade, I highly doubt we'll EVER see an HD remake.

One can dream, though.

Decent ?

Decent is a small word when this game is the 2nd best brawler of the "ps2-gc-xbox" area behind smash bros melee.

This game need a PS4 remake , but that would be impossible since there are so many "people" in it.

A true sequel then !

Top Bottom