• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Star Wars Jedi Survivor - Full Open Spoilers

Valedix

220px-Star_Wars_Jedi_Survivor.jpg

Platform played on: PS5

Difficulty: Jedi Knight

After waiting a year and half since launch I finally picked it up for $40AUD on sale, I was able to wait that long without spoilers thankfully.

Gameplay:

Absolutely loved the gameplay, the new stances are awesome my favourite is the blaster stance which may come as a surprise to some.

The new puzzles however are left to be desired... had to look up walkthroughs a few times as it was not very clear at times even when using the interactive map for me anyway.

A lot of re-used monsters as filler as well which was a little disappointing at the start but gets better when you unlock more stuff.

BD-1's new abilities are a lot of fun though and still remains my most favourite Star Wars buddy character.

During some of the boss fights if you are against a wall or in a small spot, the camera can really screw you over.

My game only crashed once and it was during walking on the Mantis, I had to reload the game once after getting stuck in a room.

Boss fights that have 3-4 phases with cutscenes or gameplay cutscenes you couldn't skip really pissed me off though, Darth Vade and Bode (cause I suck) took me multiple tries.

Story:

I thought the story was okay, Tanalorr being just 2 places of exploration though along with the final boss fight being Bode was kinda disappointing, unless I am missing something.

I enjoyed a lot of the new side characters you meet and all the conversations you have at the Saloon.

Music was amazing and I always appreciate the transitions going from the Mantis to the planets.

Bode being a evil Jedi all the time caught me off guard and made me appreciate the story more.

Performance/Visuals:

Even after waiting over a year and half the PS5 version still has its problems.

Numerous T posing in the Mantis which I didn't mind which is funny lol but performance mode is still not a solid 60 FPS on PS5 and cutscenes were extremely buggy at times.

A lot of screen tearing as well which bothered the hell outta me.

Overall enjoyed the game a lot, puzzles and boss fights were annoying at times along with the performance. Gameplay and story was great for me, hope there's a 3rd game. 8/10.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Was a fantastic game, I really appreciated how the game structure deviated from the first. Not sure it's on a metrovania or castlevania level, but it was done well.

Merrin being cannon as well would introduce a lot of problems with power levels ;)

Skifi28

Everything was great at the start, but the more I played the worse the combat became. It's like the combat was designed for a souls game, but the person making the encounters just threw tons of enemies at you and it just didn't mesh together. The worst part is there is no animation canceling to guard/parry. Once you commit to an attack in most stances there is no going back. And there are many enemies that can start their attack animation after you do and still land a hit before your own attack connects, constantly staggering you. Multiply by several enemies during an encounter, some ranged. Just a mess the further you get into the game. It's a shame because it could have been godly with a few small tweaks.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
220px-Star_Wars_Jedi_Survivor.jpg

Platform played on: PS5

Difficulty: Jedi Knight

After waiting a year and half since launch I finally picked it up for $40AUD on sale, I was able to wait that long without spoilers thankfully.

Gameplay:

Absolutely loved the gameplay, the new stances are awesome my favourite is the blaster stance which may come as a surprise to some.

The new puzzles however are left to be desired... had to look up walkthroughs a few times as it was not very clear at times even when using the interactive map for me anyway.

A lot of re-used monsters as filler as well which was a little disappointing at the start but gets better when you unlock more stuff.

BD-1's new abilities are a lot of fun though and still remains my most favourite Star Wars buddy character.

During some of the boss fights if you are against a wall or in a small spot, the camera can really screw you over.

My game only crashed once and it was during walking on the Mantis, I had to reload the game once after getting stuck in a room.

Boss fights that have 3-4 phases with cutscenes or gameplay cutscenes you couldn't skip really pissed me off though, Darth Vade and Bode (cause I suck) took me multiple tries.

Story:

I thought the story was okay, Tanalorr being just 2 places of exploration though along with the final boss fight being Bode was kinda disappointing, unless I am missing something.

I enjoyed a lot of the new side characters you meet and all the conversations you have at the Saloon.

Music was amazing and I always appreciate the transitions going from the Mantis to the planets.

Bode being a evil Jedi all the time caught me off guard and made me appreciate the story more.

Performance/Visuals:

Even after waiting over a year and half the PS5 version still has its problems.

Numerous T posing in the Mantis which I didn't mind which is funny lol but performance mode is still not a solid 60 FPS on PS5 and cutscenes were extremely buggy at times.

A lot of screen tearing as well which bothered the hell outta me.

Overall enjoyed the game a lot, puzzles and boss fights were annoying at times along with the performance. Gameplay and story was great for me, hope there's a 3rd game. 8/10.
I thought the Bode twist was absurd and dumb. I hate these out of left field plot twists that seem to exist more for shock value than actual story.

Pretty fun game warts and all. I'm definitely there for a third game on day one.

I actually liked the story too - it felt like a fun summertime adventure. I didn't mind the Bode reveal at the end either. I wish they had spent a bit more time building up his character, but his motivations were understandable and it was cool to see how the drive to save his daughter became twisted and pushed him towards the dark side. Gave me Anakin and Padme vibes.

As someone else already mentioned, the encounter design and lack of attack canceling make some sections a lot more tedious than it really needed to be.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I too thought the twist was dumb. Also the voice actor needs to take a break. I hear him in nearly every major release now. All monotone, all the time.
Not only that, they make him a total dude-boss. It would have been slightly less annoying if they hadn't made him come out as a super jedi.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Was a fantastic game, I really appreciated how the game structure deviated from the first. Not sure it's on a metrovania or castlevania level, but it was done well.

Merrin being cannon as well would introduce a lot of problems with power levels ;)
She’s canon.

Trilobit

I thought the Bode twist was absurd and dumb. I hate these out of left field plot twists that seem to exist more for shock value than actual story.

I saw the backstabbing part coming a mile away, but the jedi part was a surprise. Didn't make much sense though and they should have had something foreshadowing it. Liked the character storyline though and that he was crazy until the end.

simpatico

Gold Member
My take was well crafted, but soulless. I'd love to see Respawn tackle a new IP action RPG that they can really sink their teeth in. Overall the Respawn SW games feel very competent but ultimately disposable. They never really take off and pull you in.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The chess match between Cal and Trilla in fallen order was good

a402e55d8ab9412b8b76e2e36939352d.gif

The awe of discovering basically a Jedi homeworld was memorable in Jedi survivor, respawn handled that title well.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Not only that, they make him a total dude-boss. It would have been slightly less annoying if they hadn't made him come out as a super jedi.

Best part was when Kestis finishes him off with like three point blank blaster shots to the head. And he does a mini hesitation before each one lol. Even I was like “damn bro, p sure he’s dead.”

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
I liked it but I thought it was a 7/10.
Had my issues with the story and combat, and I still think they could do more to make the exploration more rewarding (the cosmetics were a step up from the the ponchos of the first one, but they are still pretty lame). But overall it was enjoyable and I still really like the platforming

Trilobit

The chess match between Cal and Trilla in fallen order was good

a402e55d8ab9412b8b76e2e36939352d.gif

The awe of discovering basically a Jedi homeworld was memorable in Jedi survivor, respawn handled that title well.

She was a great character with great design. The Jedi games had surprisingly good facial animations. I don't know what tech they used, but I wish more developers would use it. Especially with Jedi Survivor I was constantly impressed by the faces.

She's also very scarousing when she looks at you with those eyes.

cKyAK1n.png

Top Bottom