• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Forkball

AcatQI6.jpg

Despite considering myself a big Zelda fan, I have actually never played this game until now. Maybe I blew all my Christmas money right before it came out. Though US normally gets Zelda games first, this game was released before Black Friday in Japan and Europe but in January in America. A Metroid game was actually released as a big holiday title in 2004 instead of a Zelda title. YOU AIN'T GONNA SEE THAT AGAIN.

Minish Cap was actually developed by Capcom, who worked on the excellent Oracle games. The director of those games, Hidemaro Fujibayashi, also returns. He would later direct Skyward Sword, and the upcoming Breath of the Wild. Depending on where you fall, he is everything wrong/right with Zelda.

Until Skyward Sword, this was canonically the FIRST Zelda game in the timeline. Yes, even before Ocarina of Time. While Ocarina of Time is basically the perfect origin story for Zelda, Nintendo thought "Nah man... mice." Legends say that magic mice called Picori (actually called Minish, why there are two names I don't know) came from the sky and gave a sword to a hatless hero to drive away evil. Hyrule is throwing a festival to celebrate this event, and this is where Link pops up. One of the Minish, Vaati, is totes evil and he is going to blow everything up because he put on a hat. He also turned an old man into a bird hat. Zelda gets turned into stone and you and the bird hat find magic rocks to shoot lasers at a sword. This is the story of this video game, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. It's basically a "Save Zelda" story, but this game is extra frustrating given the existence of Skyward Sword. It seems to contradict both Skyward Sword AND Ocarina of Time. And this game is in all the timelines. I don't see how you go from war in Hylia land, to living in the sky, to coming back to earth, and then instead using the Master Sword a DIFFERENT sword comes out of nowhere. And the evil a past Link fought look suspiciously like Moblins. Also this game is supposed to be the origin story for Link's hat, because Picori Link didn't have a hat. But Skyward Sword Link had a hat. Muh brains. This game is ALSO the origin story of the Four Sword. You know, that thing no one cares about. Although I'm already rambling about the story, I do need to mention Ezlo, the aforementioned bird hat. He is a really solid helper on your quest. He's ot annoying, pops up when you actually need him to, and is often funny. Not Midna tier, but a good chap.

Anyways, it's gimmick time. The game has a few, the most advertised of which is the ability to shrink down and see the world as the Minish do. This is mostly used for puzzle solving, as you can only access certain areas when you are teeny tiny. You can also interact with the Minish this way, and even visit their mushroom cities or small homes they've made in buildings. I played this on the Wii U VC, and can only imagine how much of a nightmare it would be to see Minish Link on a non-backlight GBA screen. Although this idea is well-executed, I feel it is underutilized. You can only access the first dungeon as Minish Link, and the boss is actually a normal sized Chu Chu that now looks giant because you are so small. That's clever, but they don't get too creative with the idea. The rest of the dungeons are your typical ruins and temples. I was hoping there would be a dungeon like... in a shoe or a food cabinet or something.

There is a shoe side quest at least.

The second biggest gimmick is kinstones. Kinstones are items you find around the overworld, and you fuse them with other characters in the game by pressing L near them. When you fuse kinstones, the overworld is changed in some way. These changes range from making treasure chests appear, to changing the landscape, to even affecting the thoughts of other people in the world (creepy). I found this to be quite fun to use overall because you never knew what would happen with each fusion. Maybe you would get to access a completely new part of the world, or just get some rupees, or unlock a sidequest. Many sidequests are tied into these, and they are used in creative ways. One annoying aspect is that there's no clear sign who you can fuse with, and you can fuse with some people multiple times, yet you wouldn't know this unless you spammed L.
Almost anyone.

Speaking of sidequests, this game has plenty of them. The main hub is Hyrule Town, and it is easily one of the best Zelda towns. Everyone has a purpose and unique personality. You see some old favorites like Anju, Malon, TINGLE, and even Dr. Left, but there are some fun new characters as well. Hyrule Town has many secrets that you uncover slowly over time, all the way to the final dungeon. I liked seeing it change and expand throughout the game, and there are a rich amount of goodies to find. There are also numerous optional items, including upgrades such as the magic boomerang and remote bombs. Plus there's an entire Goron related sidequest where they just punch things. It's awesome.

To sum up the gameplay... it's Zelda. Take it for what it is. The game doesn't try to rewrite the book, but it does the Zelda formula well. The dungeons, while not as complex as other games, are smartly designed with some good boss battles. I really loved the flying stingray battle in the Palace of the Winds, perhaps one of the most fun Zelda boss battles ever. The items are fairly conservative, but they do manage to be useful throughout the entire game. Perhaps the most interesting gameplay gimmick was the duplication. If you charge up the spin attack on certain tiles, you can make phantom clones of Link. Typically this is so you can push a really big block, but the later dungeons have you trying to maneuver three or four Links to solve some puzzles that require quick thinking and reflexes. The clone Links were perhaps my favorite gameplay mechanic. The overworld is tightly designed with plenty of secrets, and the kinstones will make you want to revisit places. Though the dungeon progression is linear, the overworld exploration is not and you can pretty much go anywhere at any time, yet of course the ol' lock and key flow of Zelda games does drive you toward the story eventually.

Though the hardware is similar to the SNES, they didn't try to make it look like LttP and decided to adapt the Wind Waker Toon Link art style. Though I'm pretty tired of that aesthetic, the graphics in this game were actually really nice. Characters were large and expressive, and the colors were wonderfully vivid. I played in pixel perfect mode and it looks great on a TV. This is coming from someone who is pretty averse to playing handheld games on a TV. The pixel art is especially great when you visit places as Minish Link. The artists to a great job portraying how tiny you are, and there are some richly detailed locals in the game.

I feel like it was a pretty safe Zelda game, not nearly as interesting as the Oracle titles, but I would definitely recommend it if you like Zelda and haven't played it yet. It's not going to change your mind if you're not a fan of the series, but the game is overall well-designed with a lot of charm.
qzPSvMq.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
An outstanding game that is often overlooked because of being "short" (it isn't) or having the medallions thingy (not obligatory). It's a great game.

maxcriden

I adore the game and I'm really glad you enjoyed it and it was great to read your thoughtful write-up on the game, so thanks for thar. On another note, I only got 99/100 kinstones... and could never find the last one. I plan to replay it to do so. The concept and promotional art for this game is one of my favorites in the Zelda series so I was heartened to see you include some in your OP.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Love this game. For whatever reason, the aesthetic, characters, items, villain, plot, and everything else spoke to me strongly. I have my issues with it, but I really do like it overall. I beat it for the first time earlier this year.

Boney

Banned
Asigning an entire button on a GBA just for kinstones drives me insane, but other than that, the game is incredibly solid. Fun spins on new items and solid dungeon and overworld design.

I could never find the last piece of heart back then either.

Spritework is lovely though

I consider Minish Cap to be the best 2D Zelda we ever got.
Yes, even above LttP. But that is because of a slight distaste for LttP's late-game dungeons. Just a personal opinion.

Anyway, Minish Cap rocks. I love the shrinking gimmick, I love the story, I love that for once you don't have to defeat anything even closely related to Ganon(dorf) in a Zelda game.
It's the best 2D Zelda and the best Capcom Zelda. It's not perfect, but it doesn't have to be.
It's charming, clever, awesome.

I'm still upset that I couldn't use the mole mitts on enemies.
It does have my favourite version of the wind/air based Zelda item in the gust jar.

Somehow I managed to complete that figure gallery and access the sound test phonograph, a crowning achievement right there.

It's weird with the story because if you don't think about Hyrule Historia, it would make *perfect* sense as the third to last game in a storyline -- The Four Sword pretty much seems to be a reforged Master Sword (seriously check out the sprite before it's broken), and Vaati eventually ends up trying to use Ganon's power in FSA. BUT OKAY SURE IT'S THE FIRST GAME NINTENDO SURE

Hilarion

This is actually my favorite Zelda game. Mainly because I never really liked 3D gaming and, despite playing four out of five 3D Zelda games now (I haven't played Skyward Sword), I just...can't enjoy them as much as the 2D Zelda games. I'd put almost any (barring Zelda 2) of the 2D Zelda games over any of the 3D ones...I just don't feel like the 3D Zelda games get what makes Zelda a good series, and I just feel that a Zelda game that's not top-down is heresy.

As for why Minish Cap is my favorite...it's hard to say, but I feel like it does the formula LttP and the Oracle games does, but does it even better. I like the Minish shrinking mechanics, and I think it's just a more fun time than those other titles.

Feffe

This was my first Zelda and I have really fond memories of it: charming characters, great pixel art, good story. It's not the best of the series, but I think it's the perfect episode to start.

redcrayon

I loved it, nothing much particularly stands out in my memory, but it was a solid Zelda game all the way through. I remember liking the items- the gust jar and remote bombs were cool. The way the sidequests gradually unveil through the coins is cool too.

Not the best in the series, but still a great all-round adventure with no particular flaws IMO.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Brilliant Zelda, the lushness of the world makes it come alive.

Myriadis

Absolutely enjoyed it, best Zelda and the best sidequests for the 2D zelda games.
After the Oracle games and Zelda 1 the third-best 2D Zelda game, much better than the DS zeldas (even though they have their high points) and the overrated Links Awakening.

Randomizer

Pretty serviceable game. Not as good as their Oracle games and not even close to being as good as Link's Awakening never mind ALTTP.

Flagship were pretty good overall and being honest Skyward Sword is easily Fujibayshi's best game, that is until Beath of the Wild probably bests it.

Edit: It's weird that a lot of Gaffers, who are prominent Zelda bashers are here singing this game's praises. Saying it is one of the series best when in fact it's one of the worst.

leroidys

Pretty serviceable game. Not as good as their Oracle games and not even close to being as good as Link's Awakening never mind ALTTP.

Flagship were pretty good overall and being honest Skyward Sword is easily Fujibayshi's best game, that is until Beath of the Wild probably bests it.

Edit: It's weird that a lot of Gaffers, who are prominent Zelda bashers are here singing this game's praises. Saying it is one of the series best when in fact it's one of the worst.

Yeah, I pretty much agree, except for not liking Skyward Sword. The Oracle games are a much better effort by flagship. Minish Cap to me was a pretty bland, by the numbers attempt at the genre that shoehorns a bunch of stuff from the 3D games in for no reason and to no benefit. It also has the worst dungeon design in the series (for me), far worse than the much maligned DS games. It's bottom tier 2D Zelda for me, but still good enough to have played it through 3 times.

Haganeren

My first disappointment as a Zelda game. It wasn't bad but you know, it really wasn't anything special either and it was a first for me as a Zelda until now.

... Well... Now Zelda DS games exist so.... Yeah, i may think of it better

Forkball

Im still frustrated that I never found out how to get this piece of heart when I was a kid

028.png

I was also wondering how to get this, and turns out you need ALL THE FIGURINES. Which wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to sit through an explanation and several animations each time. This game actually does have some post-game content, such as this and even getting the Mirror Shield from Biggoron. I can't think of many other Zeldas that explicitly have things that unlock after you beat the game.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really like this game. Great art style and setting. But I never finished the final boss because it was so hard. Also I hate the sky area. I always get lost.

Also, the Minish Cap is just as bad as Fi. Spoils every single puzzle the second you enter the room. Someone needs to make a ROM hack that removes spoilers.

Bakkus

The game is dank and have perhaps my favorite spritework ever in a game. Although i'm a bit disappointed in many in this thread seems to be bashing Link Between Worlds. They're both great!

jnWake

This game is pretty fun. I like how all the dungeons have some sort of central gimmick like the rafting in the first one, minecart in the second and so on.

Also agree about the duplication power being really cool. A nice power-up that can only be used in 2D properly and there are lots of nice puzzles and even battles using it.

Main thing I disliked about the game was that it felt too linear. Many modern Zelda games do that but I wasn't used to 2D games locking you out of areas as much as Minish Cap did.

Kamek

One of the best Zeldas and one of the most fun to explore the overworld in. I actually played it for the first time this year. Decided to clear the ambassador games on my 3DS. Really enjoyed it.

Golnei

I quite liked it - as others have said, it was fairly iterative, but it managed to be pretty enjoyable within the standard Zelda framework, with the spritework (which managed to capture a lot of WW Link's expressiveness; particularly with things like the digging animation), dungeon gimmicks and some bosses being a highlight - along with the one from the Palace of the Winds that was already mentioned, I remember Vaati's first form being one of the better 2D Zelda bosses.

The only thing that really stood out as a negative was the music; which I found to be one of the more forgettable Zelda soundtracks overall.

gerudoman

Somehow I managed to complete that figure gallery and access the sound test phonograph, a crowning achievement right there.
I did as well, only to later discover the existence of the Light Arrows, one of the few missable items in the series and which I didn't get. That drove me nuts back in the day.

Holy shit, I can't remember playing this game but I'm sure I've completed it - I can definitely recall fighting Vaati at the end?!

Weird.

Maybe I need to play it through again. I just find it odd I can't remember anything about it aside from the final boss fight and that shoe place? Maybe I only played through part of Minish Cap and I'm instead remembering Four Swords?

Oh dear, as a Zelda fan, this isn't good!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Aesthetically, it is still my favourite handheld Zelda title - it has aged incredibly well and is more visually appealing than a Link Between Worlds, by far. I also think Ezlo is one of the better companions in the series in terms of giving help without spoiling puzzles - I don't remember many times when he popped up unasked, although it has been a while since I played.

The game managed to be both short and packed. I felt like it needed another two or three dungeons instead of rumbling to a rather abrupt halt as it did; but conversely, there are sidequests up the whazoo, and kinstone fusing made the world feel absolutely bustling in depth and character. By contrast, Link Between Worlds feels very sterile in comparison, there's not half as much personality. But, Minish Cap is also rather straightforward in a way that Link Between Worlds is simply not.

I feel like Minish Cap and Link Between Worlds are two separate halves of an incredibly good game - they each get right what the other got wrong. Link's Awakening is still the best handheld Zelda title, but perhaps a bit archaic now to be the model for anything current. Instead, I think future handheld Zelda titles should be looking to try and fuse the styles of these two games; I think they make natural comparisons in terms of the evolution of the series and what it has tried out.

I would definitely recommend tMC overall, though.

Top Bottom