• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The game is dank and have perhaps my favorite spritework ever in a game. Although i'm a bit disappointed in many in this thread seems to be bashing Link Between Worlds. They're both great!

I can understand why, though. Link Between Worlds and the Minish Cap are like the two polar ends of what the Zelda ethos encompasses; they're about as chalk and cheese as you can get while being in the same series. It's very unsurprising people who strongly like one would dislike the other.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is my favorite handheld Zelda, and a really great game overall. I also overlooked it when it was released, and was surprised to find out what a solid experience it is. They didn't have to tie in the story of Four Swords at all, but they did, and even gave Vaati a cool "human" (ok, Minish) form and an origin story. I think Zelda does its best when it shies away from Ganon. The Oracle games did this too (sort of...)

It makes sense in the timeline. Yeah, there's some reaching involved with not going for The Master Sword, but as far as we know in OoT NOBODY has touched it since it was put in its pedestal, so it adds up if you take that into account. I like how it has a similar aesthetic to Skyward Sword - it makes it feel like the two games take place in eras of Hyrule's past that were relatively close to one another.

gerudoman

I too prefer Minish Cap over ALBW. While ALBW's dungeon design is superior, replicating ALTTP's Hyrule was a huge drawback. Minish Cap's overworld isn't anything to write home about either, but I'd rather have a new, generic overworld than the rehash of a great one.

Oh, and this is pretty subjective but I hate the plastic look of ALBW. Still a great game, but not in the same league as the Game Boy games in my opinion.

I too prefer Minish Cap over ALBW. While ALBW's dungeon design is superior, replicating ALTTP's Hyrule was a huge drawback. Minish Cap's overworld isn't anything to write home about either, but I'd rather have a new, generic overworld than the rehash of a great one.

Oh, and this is pretty subjective but I hate the plastic look of ALBW. Still a great game, but not in the same league as the Game Boy games in my opinion.

But you spend the majority of your time in dungeons.

DVCY201

Thanks for reminding me, I started playing it but dropped it partway. Might have to figure out where I was in it. I do like it, it's got heart, but there are some points that detract from it. I've just never been a hard core 2D Zelda fan, the 3D iterations always just grabbed me more. Hoping that ALBW will change that around, but Manish Cap was a good start

Dinskugga

I love it. Its a really great game.

Played it trough a couple of times.

Too bad the kinestones didnt make it too other zelda games. Great gimmick/collector thing

Trilobit

Gold Member
It was very charming, but also very easy so I never cared to finish it. But I might do it someday, since I liked the characters and lurking around the town.

Kneefoil

It's a great game, but yeah, it definitely played it pretty safe. Probably my third favourite top-down Zelda, only beaten by OoA and LA.

I really liked Ezlo, and Vaati was a very welcome change because this was around the time I started getting tired of Ganon being the main antagonist so often. Also, while some other Zelda games have had more interesting worlds, this game still has my favourite depiction of Hyrule with the Minish and the Wind Tribe, and just the areas that are in the game.

One thing that I will always hold against (the PAL version of) the game, is that I've tried 100% it twice, but I've always ran into the Kinstone Glitch, which has prevented me from doing that. Maybe one day I'll do it now that I actually know what triggers it though.

watershed

Banned
The Minish are a lot of fun and the way they are integrated into the locations is cool. And the Minish Village music is a great addition to the Zelda music library.

Red Fire

Up there with Ocarina of Time as my favorite Zelda. Oracle games were great, and so was Link's Awakening but i think they're a bit overhyped. Minish cap was definitely better in my opinion.

leroidys

Up there with Ocarina of Time as my favorite Zelda. Oracle games were great, and so was Link's Awakening but i think they're a bit overhyped. Minish cap was definitely better in my opinion.

Care to elaborate? I'd be interested in reading why someone likes this over LA and the Oracle games (not trolling).

rotpb517

I don't think I've played the game since its release but I have a ton of fond memories of it. Seems like it's definitely worth re-visiting some day.

The Hermit

To be honest I forgot I ever played this game.

The final boss was cool though, really like vaati

Edit: reading this thread made me realize that most of the 2D/portable Zelda games really didnt do much for me.

Lost interest in Oracle of Ages/Seasons (still want to go back though, but dat backlog...) and Lbw was meh.

Link to the past and Links Awakening were amazing though, I am not that crazy

Red Fire

Care to elaborate? I'd be interested in reading why someone likes this over LA and the Oracle games (not trolling).

Minish cap had a very unique feeling. I loved the general theme of the game, the graphics/artstyle were beautiful, i loved the minish-gimmick, i loved the 4 elemental temples, the overworld was awesome with many different themes, many sidequests, great music, it just had it all and everything fit perfectly.

Now, LA and the oracle games also had a bunch of that but i preferred everything in MC. For example they also had unique overworld and sidequests etc. but in my opinion the execution was better in MC. Also, LA and the oracle games all felt a bit samey. And they didn't have the magical atmosphere Minish cap had (even though they had their own unique atmosphere). Again, i really like LA and the oracle games but Minish Cap takes the cake for me.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
A fun game with some cool items and level design, a length that doesn't drag on, a cool sidekick (Ezlo!), but the 'shrink' mechanic wasn't used to its fullest.. probably the 3rd boss
where you have to shrink to enter the boss and damage from the interior
being the most interesting use of the mechanic. But more often than not it was just another example of gating.

And kinstones were a boring fetch quest :p

Honestly my least favourite 2D Zelda. Hated it aesthetically and the story, overworld and dungeons did nothing for me. It's only slightly above Twilight Princess as my least favourite Zelda not counting the CD-I games.

Top Bottom