• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Tlou 2, I don't care about the story but the game is pure quality

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
Half through Tlou 2 remaster for PS5.
What a game.
Even though it is not open world, it makes you feel it is.
I don't care much about the revenge story, but the gameplay details are so good, I need to admit it is one of the best games I ever played.
From visual perspective only, it is the most photorealistic game I ever played and I played Senua's Saga: Hellblade II on XSX and PC.
Yeah, Tlou 2 without much upgrade from PS4 version is still more photorealistic, even though you see the limits of previous gen consoles.
The gameplay mechanics are masterpiece.
The stalkers enemies, have you seen how they hide when you use scope on rifle? Amazing detail.

But I could go on and on, the point is, this is masterpiece, even if you don't fallow story like I didn't.
What is your take on this game?
B8NYIaQ.jpeg

mdkirby

Both story and gameplay were great imo. It was however a miserable experience…irrepressibly grim, more so than the swampy areas or sewers from Elden ring 🤣.

Still great tho. It should probably come with content warnings for anyone who suffers from any mental health issues 🤣

And yeah was def rooting for abbe by the end, her segments and character were much better than Ellie’s imo

Shakka43

Gameplay, Animations and voice acting are all top notch. I just didn't like the direction the story went and some characters were weak performance wise, there were no poorly done characters in the first game, from Joel/Ellie to Marlene's muscle guy all main characters' performances were very well executed.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Outstanding achievement in gaming, to follow the first one which was an absolute masterclass with a game of this calibre firing on all cylinders from gameplay mechanics to graphics to incredible storytelling.. it was an emotional rollercoaster, never had a game affect me like TLOU series, proper up yelling at the TV, massive highs, massive lows and to get you to do a full 180 on Ellie and Abbey, I was all team Ellie throughout then slowly the bastards got to me and then I switched to team Abbey, great stuff, fucking genius's the lot of em over there at ND

mitch1971

Gold Member
Abbie grows on you as you progress.
Ellie becomes a whiny bitch.
The two that Abbie meet are meh, and you spend far too long with them for the game to loose focus on the main characters.
The zeitgeist trans shit...
And the game over all is just too damn long.
But it was enjoyable, just didn't impact me as much as the first.

EruditeHobo

I've played the OG once when I first got a PS5 and then the remaster. So not too long between playthroughs. And each time I've played it, I've liked it more and more. Excellent game. I'm going to do Uncharted 4 again soon too.

I haven't played since that summer it came out. I need to replay when I have a little more time... maybe will get the remaster when done with Shadow of Erdtree.

Epic journey.

im just gonna say it... and then run away because the usual crowd are going to come and try assault me or something crazy...

buuuuuuuut

it's the current best console third person shooter, with returnal closely/possibly edging it out.

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Fact!

Half through Tlou 2 remaster for PS5.
What a game.
Even though it is not open world, it makes you feel it is.
I don't care much about the revenge story, but the gameplay details are so good, I need to admit it is one of the best games I ever played.
From visual perspective only, it is the most photorealistic game I ever played and I played Senua's Saga: Hellblade II on XSX and PC.
Yeah, Tlou 2 without much upgrade from PS4 version is still more photorealistic, even though you see the limits of previous gen consoles.
The gameplay mechanics are masterpiece.
The stalkers enemies, have you seen how they hide when you use scope on rifle? Amazing detail.

But I could go on and on, the point is, this is masterpiece, even if you don't fallow story like I didn't.
What is your take on this game?
B8NYIaQ.jpeg

Mmmm. Part 2 was a good time, but TLOU Part 1 remake bests it in every area.

Also, TLOU 2's graphics arent close to Hellblade 2's graphics at rest. But to its credit TLOU 2 is doing much more gameplay wise and still manages to be a visual treat.

Everything else you said tracks, though.

Last edited:

Edellus

I really liked the gameplay too, although I feel there were some missing opportunities to make the gameplay even better (like using the rope mechanics more often for more puzzles).

But I care about the story in the games I play, usually. And even though I found it interesting, it was way too grim for me.

I wanted to replay it again and platinum it, but I can't go through that story again. It might be an interesting story (with some important flaws tho, IMO), but an entertaining one it isn't to me.

Markio128

Gold Member
It’s an incredible game, but yeah, it can be a bit on the grim side. Saying that, the bit with Ellie and Joel in the space exhibition area is one of the most heartwarming moments in any game I’ve played.

I wouldn’t be against ND doubling down on the fantastic gameplay in their next game, but with a more light hearted tone.

Amazing game, with some of the best moments I ever had on gaming. The story worked on me, I got to like Abby and be hapoy of her survival. What more to ask? Maybe a Joel prequel?

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm replaying through TLOU PT1 at the moment, and the step up between iterations (even with backpatching features and models) is huge.

However a couple of points. It doesn't look better than Hellblade 2. Honestly, if people didn't create such extreme takes the conversations would be so much better. The stalkers bobbing their head out of your sight by input watching is lame. It's the same in TLOU Pt 1 as well. They can't recognise guns as a threat and it makes no sense except to serve the 'gamey' archetype which I find a bit lame tbh.

However, I even found the set piece in the village outstanding, and overall I think I like the game much better than TLOU Pt 1too. I think they learned a lot from the first game.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Mixed feelings. Adore the first game to no end. One of my favorite games of all time.

This one had more than a few missteps. The acting is incredible. The production value is among the highest the art form of gaming has ever seen. The gameplay and combat (what little there is) is astounding. The story has moments of absolute BRILLIANCE (basically any Ellie and Joel flashback) that make the shitty parts that much more frustrating.

The script is so wonky, distractingly bad and poorly structured. You get to watch as a grown ass man tries and fails to write natural sounding dialogue for teen lesbians. Not to mention the narrative itself is a behemoth of a creative miss. Hate to be that guy but anyone, and I mean anyone, who thinks this story is an incredible masterpiece of art and writing needs to read a book. Or watch a movie. Or a good tv show. Literally any run of the mill rudimentary indie film wipes the floor with this drivel.

Last edited:
One of the best. It showed me that Naughty Dogg could really make a John Wick game if they wanted to. The combat and motion matching animation system blend so well together.

Last edited:
I plan to replay it sometime this year also and get the plat. My only issue with the game is when they force you to go and save that trans kid who went back home or got kidnapped I forget what happened. It was unncessary to have that in the game as well.

Played through the PS5 remaster. The combat is amazing even if the AI sucks at times. Game drags on a bit long but I thought the story got a lot of unnecessary criticism. Also, that Tommy boss fight scene was scary as fuck.

Nah, part 2 has way better mechanics and level design.

I'll give you the mechanics, but the fake ass open world served little purpose but to give you an excuse to sneak around.

I preferred the linear level design of the first game, it was a tighter, more focused experience with more infected and greater diversity in locations.

I got tired of going up and down through the same-ish buildings in part 2.

And the
Rat King was serverly underutilized. A damn shame really.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
People still on The Last of Us Part 1 copium? Lmao.

Replayed the second game last year and it was even BETTER the second time around. First game is just OK, second game is incredible.

That it actually takes risks and the stealth gameplay isn't just smashing a glass bottle and an NPC goes "Wuh wuz that."
Didn’t the first game kill off a child on screen in the first 20 minutes and have the lead protagonist kill the mother figure of the 2nd main character by headshot at the end and then lie to said main character about it all before hard cut to credits as the ending?

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Banned
That it actually takes risks and the stealth gameplay isn't just smashing a glass bottle and an NPC goes "Wuh wuz that."

And yet it is still miles behind games made in the 90s like THIEF and lacks the depth of MGSV, but go on living in that dream world of yours XD

Didn’t the first game kill off a child on screen in the first 20 minutes and have the lead protagonist kill the mother figure of the 2nd main character by headshot at the end and then lie to said main character about it all before hard cut to credits as the ending?

You can thank Bruce for that. Clearly he was the only one with a functional brain when designing TLOU.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Is it though? It's basically uncharted with a lot more sneaking. I love uncharted but hate sneaking and wave battles. 👎

Last edited:
Top Bottom