• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Trails of Cold Steel - Glad I waited!

-NeoTB1-

Overall awesome game. One of my favorite JRPGs in years. It's not often I get the itch to replay a game nowadays, but Cold Steel is one of the exceptions.

Also, is there any reason to keep fishing?

Uh.. trophy? Trading in points for items? If you care about those sorts of things. Plus, there is probably some additional dialogue with Kenneth you would not experience otherwise.

It'd be pretty disappointing that a game that's all about dungeon crawling saw its developer pay little emphasis to dungeon design in the modern age.
Brandish: TDR didn't sell half as well as most Falcom games coming out for PSP back then for reasons we don't quite know. OTOH Falcom's not a monolith—certain developers within the company might really like designing intricate, puzzle-like dungeons (maybe Kondo!), but they don't flex those chops except when a game needs it. I've heard good things about Ys VIII's layouts at least.

Anyway, back to ToCS.

MSMrRound

From the start of Cold Steel 1 to the end I was like:

LET ME SPAM TIME GEMS ON EVERYONE AND WHITE GEHANNA THE HECK OUT OF EVERY ENEMY!

Oh wait I can't do that?

Booooo.

One thing that I appreciate is the satisfaction of nailing a link attack. All them cut-inssss. Especially when I set my Fie up with 65% evasion.

But yea, you are right in saying that some of the Master quartz and general quartz are a tad too overpowered.

I also kind of wish that Falcom can just add a auto-fast forward/skip button so that those who are going for a second or third round can save a lot of trouble. Holding "O" to "fast forward" through is still pretty slow and lame.

From the start of Cold Steel 1 to the end I was like:

LET ME SPAM TIME GEMS ON EVERYONE AND WHITE GEHANNA THE HECK OUT OF EVERY ENEMY!

Oh wait I can't do that?

Booooo.

One thing that I appreciate is the satisfaction of nailing a link attack. All them cut-inssss. Especially when I set my Fie up with 65% evasion.

But yea, you are right in saying that some of the Master quartz and general quartz are a tad too overpowered.

I also kind of wish that Falcom can just add a auto-fast forward/skip button so that those who are going for a second or third round can save a lot of trouble. Holding "O" to "fast forward" through is still pretty slow and lame.
I loved all the additions to the combat itself, but definitely hated the new quartz system. There was something satsifying to me about popping between the notbook and the orbment in TiTS trying to get the perfect combination of stats and spells

This thread is strange. OP says that he put 75 hours into a game, had a great time overall though there were a few issues. Now he's super excited to play the sequel.

Then some come in and cherry pick quotes from OP just to say "boy do I feel vindicated that I didn't play this game!"

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This thread is strange. OP says that he put 75 hours into a game, had a great time overall though there were a few issues. Now he's super excited to play the sequel.

Then some come in and cherry pick quotes from OP just to say "boy do I feel vindicated that I didn't play this game!"
Trails has a glaring issue with pacing that puts off a lot of people. That would seal the deal for some.

I say this as a huge fan of all the games in the series that I've played.

Psxphile

neogaf.gif

Top Bottom