• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Wild ARMs series

Seda

The Wild ARMs series is one that eluded me in years past, but when the original Wild ARMs was made available for free last March, I decided to go back and trek through the franchise in its entirety. Well, here we are ~15 months later and I wanted to take a moment to talk about my experiences with the games. I’m tackling this as a wholly comprehensive series retrospective from the eyes of a relative newcomer, so yes, there is a lot to say. There are seven total games in the series: five numbered titles, a remake of the original, and lastly an SRPG which is to date the final entry in the franchise.

IPAsMZx.png

As you might expect, the original Wild Arms sets up many of the recurring ideas and themes that are seen throughout the series. It takes place on the world of Filgaia, a sort of desert-world that is essentially in a state of significant decay. ‘Drifters’ are wanderers of this world, taking on mercenary-like tasks wielding ARMs – firearms that carry deadly capabilities but also an adverse stigma to the wielder in the eyes of the world’s people.

VdfbS5g.png

Above the politics and people of the world are the natural Guardian spirits, animal-like ‘gods’ that wish for Filgaia to return to a restored and healthy state. Most of the games have this ‘machines vs. nature’ dichotomy underlying the narrative, but I’ll get to that later. Without boring you too much with specifics, you have your three main characters team up for a few reasons. They each have their own goals and motivations, but they are also deemed to be the ‘heroes’ chosen by the Guardians to stop the invasion of the coming Demon forces. Wait.. Demons? That wasn’t exactly what I was expecting.

I know that might sound silly to series’ veterans, considering how old the game is now, but that caught me off-guard. Demons, in the Wild Arms universe, are best described at machine-alien…..things, that are coming to Filgaia because reasons. Anyways, they are bad and throwing nature out of wack, so they need to be stopped. But enough about that.

FnO5lAZ.png

Wild ARMs’ sprites outside of battle hold up reasonably well, especially on the PlayStation Vita screen. The game is structured fairly typically: you start off in a town, explore a world map to find more towns and dungeons, buy new equipment at new shops, fighting random battles along the way. When I say ‘explore’ a world map, I really do mean ‘explore’. At one point I found myself a little lost on the World Map trying to figure out where exactly I was supposed to go; I knew what I was supposed to be doing but not told exactly how to get there. I was mildly frustrated for a moment, but soon realized it had been forever since I actually explored an RPG world map. It felt great to actually find my way around to discover how to progress the game, finding a couple of optional areas on the way.

Dungeons in Wild ARMs are a little reminiscent of 2D Zelda. A series of interconnected rooms are filled with puzzles and chests, and your characters use ‘Tools’, such as bombs or the hookshot, obtained throughout the game to surpass these puzzles.. Oftentimes dungeons will have areas not accessible the first time through because a tool obtained later in the game is needed to traverse them. This allowed for revisiting of dungeons to be a worthwhile (but totally optional) endeavor to obtain new accessories and items. All in all I appreciated the incorporation of this optional backtracking – too often are areas in games visited one-time-only to be totally ignored and forgotten about when you are ‘finished’ with them.

wrnCusy.png

While the sprites have aged decently through the years, the same can’t be said about the characters during battle, as the game switches to 3D models as you can see above. It certainly took some time to get used to. The battle system is a round-based one, where you input each character’s command before the round, and the turn order is decided by a speed stat. Besides the typical turn-based elements, each character has a Force bar, which fills up as they dish out or take damage. The higher the bar, the better your character’s stats are. However you can use segments of the Force bar for special moves, which means your parameters will lower at the expense of using one of these moves.

All in all Wild Arms feels very typical in many respects, but it’s easily apparent why it is considered a classic. It’s 15+ years old now and it took me some time for me to adjust to the visuals, menus, and interfaces. Nothing in the narrative wowed me or struck me as all too interesting, but nothing pushed me away either. The character focused plotlines were more interesting than the overarching ‘save-the-world’ one. The music is pretty fantastic throughout, lots of use of acoustic/steel guitar, trumpet/brass melodies as well as the well-known whistling of course. The game isn’t especially difficult, but there are a few boss encounters that threw me off before I picked up on their attacks and patterns.

-Music Favorites-
Overall – After the Chaos and Destruction
Town – Village of the Elw
Dungeon – Courage
Battle – Battle ZEIK
Cutscene – Alone in the World

dVuJfm7.jpg

My initial impressions of the sequel were quite positive. Everything received a boost visually with more advanced character models and geometries, the music was still pretty good, although a slight step down from Wild ARMs. There was also a new skill system in place, and more characters with unique abilities and unique ways to advance those abilities. There are also more party members which led to both more interesting battle set ups and more Tools for various puzzles in the dungeons. It initially seemed like Wild ARMs 2 had improvements across the board.

2eduhsg.png

However, WA2 might be the easiest RPG I've ever played. Easier than Final Fantasy IV, easier than Grandia. It’s difficult not to laugh when bosses wind-up and attack you only to do 0 damage. You see, the game introduces a Personal Skill system, which are essentially passive skills you can put points into to activate. Thinking defensively I figure to put some points into P DEF and M DEF for most of my characters. I expected a minor but hopefully significant decrease in damage, what I got was a game-breaking windfall. Just about every enemy regular attacks did literally 0 damage, including bosses. I wondered if this was a minor imbalance early on in the game but this brain-dead level of difficulty never improved. The only aspect that could possibly cause headaches after this was status afflictions.

WA2 introduced a few changes, now the overworld and towns are explored in a sort of isometric 3D scope rather than top down 2D, which would stick for most of the remaining games in the series. In addition, exploring the world map improved with the game’s search system to find the towns, dungeons, and many items on the map.

IN6Hg4H.png

The dialogue was also very oddly phrased at times which also started to really wear on me. I couldn't get interested in the story and I felt like I was tripping over textbox after textbox. Especially the lizard characters Liz and Ard, whose diction may have been an attempt at humor, but I found it annoying more often than not. One line that did get a chuckle out of me was: “Gentlemen don't like violence but love the violence of words. Prepare for word torture! I can't keep quiet. I'm full of dangerous phrases that should be censored.” But it wasn't just those characters; the script was very awkward (and slightly confusing) the way they threw in game specific diction, such as "Pillars", quotes and all. Seemed redundant at times too, and it always seemed like everybody spoke more words than they needed to when getting a point across. The narrative was more intricate than Wild ARMs but not to its benefit in my opinion.

Battles played very similarly to the first Wild ARMs, with the main additions being more unique skills for each of the six party members. With more members to choose from, that did add an extra level of complexity as to how to prepare for a boss encounter or whatever, but considering the nonexistent challenge, it’s hardly necessary to think about strategy too much as long as you can deal with status elements. Battles were also a tad slower than the original game, which dragged everything down in addition to the numerous dialogue boxes.

-Music Favorites-
Overall – Opening
Town – Western Village
Dungeon – Chapel
Battle – Battle vs Lord Blazer
Cutscene – Starting Off

7M5qfG7.jpg

I was very pleasantly surprised by the third game in the series, in almost every facet. Most of the elements that dragged down WA2 were absent, and a couple new elements were introduced. The Migrant Seal system, for example, was a great way to mitigate some of the issues with random encounters, as you can choose to skip battles at times depending on your Migrant Level.

fDbrNwKm.jpg

The battle system itself isn’t too much different from the first two games, but one area that does significantly differ is how you can set up your characters’ ARMs for use in battle along with their Guardians. Whereas guardians before only affected some stats and allowed you to summon them, now they directly affect what abilities are available to the character.

b4FcRxOm.jpg

In addition, every character’s ARM could be upgraded in a variety of ways, whether you wanted to increase damage output, number of bullets, critical hit percentage, etc. All that mixed with unique character Force skills, many of the support systems clicked together very well. None of the other WA games would have the same level of control in these regards, although WA5 was somewhat close.

DgQnfjrm.jpg

Wild Arms 3 also had the best Western feel of the series and some of the better characters. Like the original game, while the overall narrative (once again involving a decaying Filgaia) was ho-hum, I felt the individual character vignettes were particularly well done. Some characters had their drawbacks but each was at least partially believable. I also quite liked most of the music in this title, arguably the best in the series.

-Music Favorites-
Overall – You Look Defeated When Sad
Town 1 – Scenery Called Everyday
Town 2 – Long Days of Rest
Dungeon1 – Fate Breaker
Dungeon2 – Let's Run Around, Let's Look Over There!
Dungeon3 – Losing One's Way in Darkness, Losing Something in Darkness
Battle – Blood, Tears, and the Dried-Up Wasteland
Cutscene – Night of the Legends

TX85YIW.jpg

It was neat seeing the scenes from Wild ARMs again now in 3D. As I only played the original Wild ARMs about half a year before Alter Code F, I can't say I was feeling truly 'nostalgic' seeing the events again or hearing the remixed music, but it was still definitely cool to see. I did like Alter Code F’s music selection as a whole, but there were also a handful of the tracks were disappointing coming off the originals, which is probably unavoidable any time you make changes to any well-loved soundtrack.

YG640jlm.jpg

All in all I think it was a suitable remake. It's basically the story of Wild ARMs 1 in the style of Wild ARMs 3. Dungeons had a suitable balance of maze-like qualities and puzzle variety, the overworld is a little barren but does allow for some non-linearity and there are a couple of extra areas (and a bunch of items to discover). A large chunk of the music changes I thought were not drastic enough to be insulting, but there were a few that I didn't care for, such as the 'destroyed town' theme and the sealed library.

X42YKzym.jpg

Depsite similarities, Alter Code F is much shallower than WA3 when it comes to party member builds and customizations - you can't do anything with the guardians other than cast them, and the only character that you can effectively manipulate stats for is Rudy when it comes to upgrading his weapon. The best aspect of the game is probably the 'collecting' of new guardians and Crest Graphs, and figuring out the dungeons. But because you can't change up your party make-up all too much, the general strategies don't really change throughout the game, so it did drag at times. Fortunately, you can skip most random encounters with the Migrant Seal system, also borrowed from Wild ARMs 3.

iPsAZD9.jpg

As an aside, I quite liked the character art used in the menus for this game. It’s still similar to the series’ anime-style, but with a ‘rustic’ sort of edge to it. Not saying it’s better or worse than the original character artwork for Wild ARMs, but it definitely stood out to me, in a good way. The line-shading technique brings to mind hand sketched portraitures similar to those used in a WANTED poster, only maintaining an anime style - a presentation to well match the some of the visual themes of the series. Perhaps a little too ‘clean’, though.

All I have to say about the story elements that I didn’t say already with respect to the original Wild ARMs is that FMV scenes with self-paced textboxes were waaaaaaay too slow. Then again, when are self-paced text boxes ever a good idea?

-Music Favorites-
Overall – Remorse and Promise
Town – Sealed Town
Dungeon – Conquering the Darkness
Battle – G’s Roar
Cutscene – Boy of Hope
Bonus – The Sweet Candy

8yxaEdc.jpg

Wild ARMs 4 is a true oddball of the series. It introduces a significantly different battle system from all the games before it. Often referred to as the ‘Hex’ system, positioning is now important for your party – more on that in a bit. There is no longer an explorable world map – instead you only can travel to point locations on a map screen. While there are dungeons somewhat similar to the earlier titles, locations that are essentially straight paths are also introduced, enhancing the linearity of the game as you never truly get to wander or explore.

6rzBQ13m.jpg

The change in battle system was interesting to say the least. Instead of a round-based system like all the previous entries in the franchise, I was faced with a purely turned based queue on top of a hexagonal grid, and each character moved individually. Characters can ‘occupy’ a hex-location, and status effects did not affect the character directly, but the hexes instead. It might sound interesting on paper, but ultimately I found the system in to be greatly unbalanced. Yulie's Mystic ability, which affected the whole battlefield, and Raquel's move&attack ability were far too easy to abuse and basically steamrolled everything. There were some interesting additions to strategy to keep in mind, like how to minimize damage by manipulating hex position well, but mostly besting bosses comes down to abusing overpowered skills.

6p01430m.jpg

Wild ARMs 4 also houses the worst implementation of the tool system. Instead of a variety of tools held by the different party members, Jude can pick up a sword or staff in a dungeon and carry it around for pretty mundane puzzles involving switches. However, one neat addition is that instead of a Migrant Seal system like WA3, you can turn off encounters entirely if you solve an optional puzzle in each location.

onSlM1cm.jpg

Most of the scenes in the game are done in a still-portrait style, with talking heads and a textbox underneath. The game tries to add interest to these scenes with cut-ins and rotating slices and such, all to a hilarious effect. WA4 has a low-budget feel to it in general. Some scenes do use full motion of character models including one of the most ridiculously ridiculous cutscenes I’ve ever had the pleasure to experience.

Seriously, just watch this scene, the whole thing. It’s so awful/awesome. With Japanese voices for best effect.

The narrative in a nutshell – adults are sketchy and probably evil.

-Music Favorites-
Overall – Over the Wind
Town – Nightless City Guara Bobelo
Dungeon – Perilous Change
Battle – The Shining Spear Pierces the Darkness
Cutscene – For the Sake of One Flower

nhTdMyq.png

Wild ARMs 5 takes several of WA4’s new elements and refines them, ditches the tool system for a better one, and brings back a fantastic world map.

9RR2eUSm.jpg

The Hex system is back, only much more properly balanced this time. In addition, only 3 out of 6 characters can be active in battle, so party configuration is something to think about for the first time since WA2. Runes can be equipped to give different characters different abilities as well, so there’s a good assortment of set ups you can use in battle. Characters can also be swapped in and out, so you aren’t stuck with a set battle group.

PfmVOvJm.jpg

WA5 has one of the best world maps of any JRPG I’ve played. There is a fair amount of variety in locale visuals, several altitude levels, some tricky paths and nooks, it’s pretty good looking for a PS2 title, and there are several things to find. The main thing I didn't care for was that all the chests were hidden and had to be found with the detector ring. That was a Wild Arms 'thing' back to the classic games, but it was annoying roaming around the map pressing □ all the time.

GiWlmTZm.jpg

While the tool system isn’t quite the same as WA1-3, it’s much better than what was tried in WA4. Dungeons are back to being at least a little interesting again (with some great background tracks I may add). There are lots of secret rooms and chests to gather, things to keep your mind on other than battling or getting to the end. I felt they dungeons hit a good mix of length and complexity.

While many aspects of WA5 are quite solid, the cast and narrative are universally awful. Not even a scene like that linked WA4 one to laugh at.

-Music Favorites-
Overall – The Mountain of No Return
Town – Goodbye and Hello
Dungeon – The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You
Battle – Terrible Monster Attacking Crew!
Cutscene – Only Because It's Important, Does it Easily Break
Bonus1 – Understanding the Vastness of the World and Still...
Bonus2 – Fereydoon RYGS_5013 (Battle)

2dvwDKN.jpg

The one SRPG of the series, it took a while for Wild ARMS XF to grow on me. Not until more classes unlocked did I really start to enjoy my time with it - allowing for more permutations of class/skills/passives. There’s a lot of variety in how you can set up your party, which is definitely the highlight of the game. I'm confident I enjoyed it more than Jeanne D'Arc - which felt very unbalanced in comparison and with less customization available for character builds. That sort of surprised me because Jeanne D'Arc seemed better received by review outlets.

kfIrDFnm.jpg

The plot isn't totally nuanced or anything that hasn't been done before, but I feel it's better paced and more grounded than other Wild Arms titles. A few characters are much more interesting than any the ones in Wild ARMs 4 and 5 as well (which isn’t difficult to achieve). There are some wacky turns and plot elements but it seems to be well constructed in how things are foreshadowed and executed, though it's slightly predictable.

6Lwe6KOm.jpg

My biggest issues with the game are some of the sub-systems, like equipment and searching. Materials can only be gained from sending characters out on 'Searches', which seem to be inspired from FFTA's "Dispatches". Each equipment type’s upgrade path is pretty limited and linear in fashion as well. Ultimately what this results in is that upgrading equipment comes down to mindless/repeated menu use of sending-->recalling-->spending-->, it's like a chore. But the stat boosts you get are definitely immediately apparent. I wish you could get materials other ways or if 'Searches' didn't just feel like something to waste time.

Vj4FLrTm.jpg

Sometimes the success and failure conditions are creative and force you to approach things differently than just "Do lots of damage to things". One example is a level where you have to weaken, but not kill enemies for the first part of a battle until you have a character reach a certain spot. It was tough to keep the damage to my party in check as I wasn't able to simply remove the units actually dealing the hits.

-Music Favorites-
Overall – The Painted Future Set Upon an Easel
Town – So Warm and Soft
Battle – Intrude Upon Happiness, Plunder the Future
Battle 2 – Beauty And The Shining Sword
Bonus – A Weapon Born From the Womb of Mankind

TheYanger

Honestly, this is a series that I liked less over time rather than more. I *ADORE* the first game, but all of the 'innovations' in the battle and map systems, I dislike. I like the traditional and simple RPG battles of the first game, the charming 2d overworld graphics, and most importantly the devious puzzles in the dungeons. A solid RPG that combined with fantastic zelda-like dungeon design is a great experience, I don't want all of the extraneous jrpg evolutionary bullshit.

Alter Code: F was a HUGE disappointment to me, aside from hearing revised versions of all of my favorite songs.

Since it seems an appropriate place to go for favorite underappreciated tunes:
Original:Knight's Quarters
ACF:Steel Shiketsu

A song that sounds really similar either way, I like both.

Original The Power Which Supports the World
ACF:The Power Which Supports the World

I LOVE the different feelings these two versions of the same song bring. One is so somber and one is so action-packed.

Could probably do a dozen more of these but I just enjoy how similar yet different the soundtracks are. Best part of the game.

RPGCrazied

Love them. V is the best in the series to me.

Why oh why is media.vision doing a shining game on PS3, but not returning to Wild Arms? Sad times.

Bundy

Banned
Wild Arms 1, to this day, is still one of the best JRPG's of all time.
Love, love it, love it! The soundtrack..... ^_^ ....gorgeous!
(only Arc the Lad 1 and 2 are better)

Aeana

I've always maintained that I'm a huge fan of the odd-numbered entries. I really love 1, 3, and 5. The music in 3 is especially amazing and underrated.

Dean is the most annoying protagonist in a game ever, though. :(

rtcn63

The part when
Mother eats Zegfried
fucked me so bad I stopped playing a kid. Started again years later, but I got lost looking for the library in the second half, and well, I've still yet to close the deal.

Three had too much running around. During combat specifically, the characters fluffing about before each round made the game dragon. I reached the final dungeon though.

I liked the mythology and its implementation in the first game. The later ones just didn't compare.

Aeana

You did choose my favorite dungeon track from WA4 though. I like how different it is from the rest of the series.

NeededSleep

Wow, great post! Brings back a lot of nostalgia with the series that Ive always enjoyed. Always enjoyed the touch of Steam Punk the games brought to the table.
Gotta say the part of each that always was tough for me to get through was each main characters solo beginning. Sometimes it felt they drew them out way too long.

Though, now im sad that we will probably never see another wild arms game. If Sony was to do anything with the series, i would love a Wild Arms collection for the Vita :D

Seda

Honestly, this is a series that I liked less over time rather than more. I *ADORE* the first game, but all of the 'innovations' in the battle and map systems, I dislike. I like the traditional and simple RPG battles of the first game, the charming 2d overworld graphics, and most importantly the devious puzzles in the dungeons. A solid RPG that combined with fantastic zelda-like dungeon design is a great experience, I don't want all of the extraneous jrpg evolutionary bullshit.

Alter Code: F was a HUGE disappointment to me, aside from hearing revised versions of all of my favorite songs.

The first game's battle system was perhaps a little too simple for me, but I'm something like 17 years tardy here. I didn't dislike it but it's definitely very straightforward. I think that's why I was generally impressed by WA3 which added a few layers with the guardians and how you can upgrade ARMs.

I ran out of room to give series-encompassing thoughts, but there are several PSX and PS2 titles I enjoyed more than any of the Wild ARMs entries. It's hard for me to say that any of the games are outright amazing, but I certainly enjoyed my time with some of them. I'm glad I decided to visit the franchise.

The game that probably surprised me the most was XF, the SRPG on PSP. I never happened to hear or learn much about it, but now I feel it's a fairly strong SRPG on the system. I enjoyed it much more than Jeanne D'Arc, for example.

Aeana

It's time to fly

I think one of the major flaws in WA3 and WA5 is that they lean way to heavily on their themes. In WA3, it's spreading your wings and flying. In WA5, it's CLIMBING OVER DAT WALL. WA5 in particular is super guilty of feeling like a bad shounen anime. I still love it though. :\

Seda

It's time to fly

I think one of the major flaws in WA3 and WA5 is that they lean way to heavily on their themes. In WA3, it's spreading your wings and flying. In WA5, it's CLIMBING OVER DAT WALL. WA5 in particular is super guilty of feeling like a bad shounen anime. I still love it though. :\

Haha. And Wild ARMs 4 smacks the player over the head repeatedly with 'Adults are bad!'

And the villain's motive to
unleash monsters on the world forcing humanity to fight in order to accelerate evolution
is one of the 'best' I've ever encountered.

Generally, speaking narrative, it was moreso the character-centric plotlines that I was more likely to attach to over the main conflicts. XF's was exceptionally wacky at points but for whatever reason I felt that one was stronger in that regard.

Thread brings back a lot of great memories. Hopefully it inspires others to take a stab at the series as well.

Love every installment in the series in their own way, but 4 was my least favorite. I always compared this series to the Suikoden games, being how the fourth game is (to me) the weakest game in the series and how the fifth game tries to get things back on track in a sense.

Still have yet to play XF, which is my fault entirely, but I'll change that soon enough.

This song still gives me chills every time I hear it

How do I embed this thread into my body because it is just giving me life.

Fantastic thread. Truly brought me back over the years and the games that have forever remained my favorites. WA1 is my all time favorite game but I do have love for all the entries. xF least fav.

But man! What a thread.

Still...my dream of a new entry in the Wild Arm series has been left unfulfilled...I can only replay these fantastic gems until such a time that this comes to pass.

Seda

Yes, I quite like that one. I posted the Alter Code F one, which is noticeably different (more prominent piano and percussion, perhaps), but I felt both were very strong.

I had heard several of the tracks of the games before I played any of them, and as I went through the series I was continually impressed by the number of quality tunes. Wild ARMs 3&5 especially caught me off guard as most of those I wasn't already familiar with.

Holy crap Seda...and this was the trimmed version of your post? Yeah initial reaction stands "Holy crap"!

I suppose the character limited prevented me from rambling more than I already did, haha.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I couldn't get into V because of its overt shonen-ness. I will go back to it one day... maybe.

Loved WA1, especially loved WA2, and WA3 has a great presentation and that early cel shaded look to it that's so nostalgic. WA4 was... weird. It was pretty decent, but it was the first step into pure shonen territory. Nice OST, though.

XF looks good, but the rumored insane difficulty is off putting. Edit: Wow, if WAXF has music like this, I might have to play it... Alter Code F is still like $50 on Amazon, and from your synopsis and what else I've heard, it's not too much better (if at all) from the original, so that's escaped me as well.

Also, Ashley Winchester is one of the best protagonist names to ever come out of a JRPG.

I know a lot of people hate on WA4, but I honestly like all of the games in the series. Plus Raquel is a boss and one of my all-time favorite characters in a video game, so there's that.

Also, WA2 is only easy until you get to the optional bosses. Those guys are all hardcore (the toughest in the series IMO) and will beat you like you owe them money. WA4 is the easiest because anything in the game crumples like paper before the pure, absurdly over-powered might that is Raquel. A full Force Gauge and Intrusion equals a dead well...anything.

I've never touched these games before. Let's do this:

Enjoy. They're old but good and a lot of stuff will still be great about them even today (especially the music).

i've only played 3, but i loved it. main story was indeed a bit ho-hum, but the rest was pretty good and the amount of optional stuff to do was just crazy. might have to give 1 and 5 a shot one of these days as they look like the best of the remainder.

Faustek

I've never touched these games before. Let's do this:

Nice, playing on a fatty as well?

I'm still playing through Torneko but I might just put it to the side to try out Alter F. That game never made it over to EU(Seriously Sony, pull all that ps1/2/PSP crap again and I'll send an angry letter) and didn't feel like importing a "remake". Well I'm itching to go :)

Zeranium

Fantastic overview of the series, Seda!

My love for the series is a little rocky. I guess it would be similar to Aeana's in liking the odd numbered ones more --- minus 5 which I thought was "okay"

While I thought it improved from 4, I couldn't stand Dean and the rest of the cast.

The 3rd is definitely my favorite, although I didn't really care for it the first time playing it.
I rented it at a Blockbuster and didn't think much of it. I think a bunch of RPGs were coming out at the time and was interested in those more or something. Years later, I revisited and everything just clicked -- I ended up loving it.

And despite how I feel about the games themselves, the OSTs are always great

The only one I haven't played yet is XF

Guess I'll rank them too even though I liked all of the mainline games:

WA > WA3 > Alter Code:F > WA4 = WA5 > WA2.

Never played XF so I can't speak on that one.

Gruco

Banned
Wild Arms 3 is still one of my all time faves and I think a criminally under-appreciated game. Lots of customization, lots of good optional challenges, fun puzzles, amazing music, three battle systems, clever boss battles, what's not to love?

Not entirely clear to me why I didn't play any of the installments since - possible just because I was shifting away from playing everything I could and was skeptical of all the changes.

Awesome thread. I really should think about trying out another installment some time.

Seda

Wild Arms 3 is still one of my all time faves and I think a criminally under-appreciated game. Lots of customization, lots of good optional challenges, fun puzzles, amazing music, three battle systems, clever boss battles, what's not to love?

Not entirely clear to me why I didn't play any of the installments since - possible just because I was shifting away from playing everything I could and was skeptical of all the changes.

Awesome thread. I really should think about trying out another installment some time.

As may have been evident in my post, I was hesitant to pick a favorite or rank or whatever, but as I said, Wild Arms 3 was a pleasant surprise in most facets. I really enjoyed it.

Paracelsus

Wild Arms in general is an outrageously underrated series. At its worst (4?) it still was better than most series long after the ip was put to rest. As a matter of fact, WA4 is a better corridorJrpg than FFXIII, except for the fact the gameplay is completely broken by Raquel being a beast.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
currently playing through wild arms 2, and have all of the games besides Alter Code F. reading through your list, i feel very daunted at the prospect of actually playing through all of the games :p

I truly enjoyed WA1, but 2 and 3 did not leave a good impression on me from demos enough to try them back in the day, I guess (2's was probably 50% that eye-searing font). I tried XF but got real tired real quick of bass-ackwards strategy from convoluted class-switching every battle and the relentless tapioca cutscenes. I tried, I really tried.

Oh HELLS yeah. Naruke straight MURDERED on that OST. Sweeping, highly varied, and suprisingly peppy or dark in places.

I also saw Seda covered The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You and Nightless City Guara Bobelo WA was in a similar situation with Naruke as Suikoden was with Hagashino; a breakout talent leaving the series that made her famous, but both got a great tagteam to take up the reins. It's both lucky and inciteful.

The only one I've played thus far is Wild Arms 1, beat that back in the 90s. Loved it then. I have Wild Arms 3, 4, 5 still unplayed on my backlog with the later two still shrink wrapped that I bought when it was still the PS2 generation. It's all part of my massive PS2 RPG backlog I obsessively built up back then.

Is Wild Arms 2 on the PSN? I actually like that it sounds like the game is easy, I don't have as much as drive to play difficult games too much anymore these days.

Seda

Is Wild Arms 2 on the PSN? I actually like that it sounds like the game is easy, I don't have as much as drive to play difficult games too much anymore these days.

Yes it is. No issues playing it on Vita either.

If you want an easy time, just put points into the DEF skills when you can. Be prepared for lots of text. I wasn't so hot on the game but I know a number of people who loved it, so there's that.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I LOOOOOOVE the Wild Arms series! I'm still heartbroken that it (and Breath of Fire) seem to have ended after their 5th entries :(

I think my fave will always be the 1st Wild Arms, possibly tied with 5. 4 is the worst of the bunch but I still like it

TheYanger

I truly enjoyed WA1, but 2 and 3 did not leave a good impression on me from demos enough to try them back in the day, I guess (2's was probably 50% that eye-searing font). I tried XF but got real tired real quick of bass-ackwards strategy from convoluted class-switching every battle and the relentless tapioca cutscenes. I tried, I really tried.

Oh HELLS yeah. Naruke straight MURDERED on that OST. Sweeping, highly varied, and suprisingly peppy or dark in places.

I also saw Seda covered The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You and Nightless City Guara Bobelo WA was in a similar situation with Naruke as Suikoden was with Hagashino; a breakout talent leaving the series that made her famous, but both got a great tagteam to take up the reins. It's both lucky and inciteful.

Wild arms music comes up ALL THE TIME on my Google Music rotation, just because it manages to comprise a notable percentage of what is there (5% of all of my music probably?). Never bothers me either.

and now I'm listening to it all. Acoustic part of Clash and a Promise (the original > the ACF version imo) is just so god damn amazing. and that song builds so subtly and powerfully from just the one part to everything, it's the best.

Faustek

Ooh I should take the time and remind everyone of what Kaneko said about a new W.A.

http://oreiro-sky.tumblr.com/post/81591468931/wild-arms-news-kaneko-akifumi-blog-translation

it'll all depend on how well the merch sells and I assume the assorted dlc that has come out to different games staring different W.A protagonists and what else they have cooked up to put Wild ARMs in our thoughts again...would help with a little love on PSN in EU :)
As usual I'm really glad she translated it for us in her blog and that's why I don't copy paste, visit her blog and read up.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Maybe if Media Vision's new rpg Shining Resonance does well, they can fund Wild Arms 6???

*sigh* I can dream!

Taruranto

Don't have many memories of Alter Code F, but I remember liking it.

2 is probably my favorite, despite the terribad translation and the sub-par gameplay.

3 is great.

4 story and characters area awfuuuuul (with the exception of Raquel, I guess), the gameplay does some interesting things with the platform elements, but ultimately they do not salvage the title or make it memorable.

5 is kinda of a mixed bag, story and writing continue 4 tradition of being bad (ffffffucking Karol), on other hand dat world map.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've only played 1 and 3 and loved them both... I'm gonna be following your path and trying to finish up the rest of these (and the rest of the Suikoden series) throughout the remainder of this year and the next. I love puzzle-based dungeons and think they bring a good variety to the typical RPG dungeon hack. Also these games generally feature lots of great side quests and a huge world, I always felt they never got their dues in RPG circles, but a modern-day game with the simplicity and charm of the old WAs would be a huge hit with gamers IMO.

Seda

I've only played 1 and 3 and loved them both... I'm gonna be following your path and trying to finish up the rest of these (and the rest of the Suikoden series) throughout the remainder of this year and the next. I love puzzle-based dungeons and think they bring a good variety to the typical RPG dungeon hack. Also these games generally feature lots of great side quests and a huge world, I always felt they never got their dues in RPG circles, but a modern-day game with the simplicity and charm of the old WAs would be a huge hit with gamers IMO.

I want to play through the Suikoden series as well but I'm kinda stuck after the first game because the second is so rare. And I don't just want to skip it considering all the praise it gets.

:/

TalonJH

All my memories of Wild Arms sits mostly with WA 1-3. Mostly 2 though. Would love to see a worthy successor at E3.

Wild Arms 2 was by far my favorite.

The ability to skip random encounters once you were over leveled for an area, Knightblazer, the perfect combo of customization and individuality for the player characters, the best cast in the series, Knightblazer, the references to Trigun, X-Men, and Iron Man, also Knightblazer.

The translation was terrible, but the actual story was really nice. The graphics were blocky, but I felt they had charm.

I didn't enjoy Wild Arms 3 much at all though. Slow battles. Characters that felt weak and far too similar in battle. It had a much less useful random encounter skipping mechanic.

The translation was good, and the visuals were my favorite in the series, but the gameplay just felt so tedious and uninteresting.

WA3 was still way better than 4, but that isn't hard to accomplish.

WA2>WA: ACF>WA1>WA3>WA4

Never played 5 or XF.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I want to play through the Suikoden series as well but I'm kinda stuck after the first game because the second is so rare. And I don't just want to skip it considering all the praise it gets.

:/

Well, worst comes to worst you can always buy Suikoden 2 off Ebay and then go and pawn it off again... there are very few games that I'd think are worth the money, but that one is definitely one of them. Luckily, my brother got a copy for Christmas '98 and I got to play his... (though I do need to pick up one of my own)

Top Bottom