• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucha Underground Season 2 |OT| Wrestling is fun again, again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
e00ff7a85c60b3450fab2r8oox.jpg

Live from Dario Cueto's Temple at Boyle Heights, Los Angeles, Lucha Underground finally returns for this second season of high paced action. Blending a mix of traditional pro wrestling with telenovella style storytelling, Season 2 will see all our favorites return, and will include the Lucha Underground debut of an American wrestling legend as well. Lucha Underground was voted WrassleGAF’s promotion of the year, as well as having several match of the year nominations. Thanks to its fresh approach to pro-wresting storytelling and back-to-basics approach to booking, it has quickly become the fans go-to favorite US promotion. Exciting times, so here's what you missed during the first season:

Meet Dario Cueto.

18650_origidovj.png

Dario Cueto is the Spanish owner and promoter of Lucha Underground, as the name suggest an underground fighting ring where our combatants duke it out for honor, glory and fortune. Cueto is a rich man, and has no problem using his money to get his will and sate his lust for violence. He has invited the best Luchadors from around the world to compete in The Temple in Boyle Heights. Two of those men are Johnny Mundo (Previously John Morisson of WWE) and Prince Puma (better know by his indie wrestling name: Ricochet).

clipboard01tcraj.jpg

These two men faced off in the first Main Event of Lucha Underground, where Prince Puma, a direct descendant of one of the seven ancient Aztec tribes and under guidance of his trainer, WCW wrestling legend Konnan, came up short against Mundo, who would then receive the prize money of 100,000 dollars from Dario Cueto. But alas. As we would find out during the season, Dario Cueto proved to be less than trustworthy, as three unknown assailants known as The Crew attacked both Mundo and Puma on Dario’s command.

clipboard0182o1i.jpg

While briefly united under sportsmanlike camaraderie, Konnan quickly stirred the pot between Puma and Mundo, accusing Mundo of unfairly winning the first match and owing Puma the 100,000 dollars, causing the two to brawl and Dario Cueto to hang up the briefcase with the money above the ring for the first ever Lucha Underground Ladder Match. As an added twist, The Crew’s Big Ryck (formerly WWE’s Ezekiel Jackson) was added to the match in a bid to earn the money for himself. Despite The Crew’s best efforts, Johnny Mundo was victorious and finally claimed the cash prize.But the two fighters were not done with each other yet, as Dario introduced the Aztec gold Lucha Underground belt, to be contended over in Dario Cueto’s special Aztec Warfare match.

resem45945ludisciplesrapkn.jpg

The match would start with two men inside of the ring and would add another man every 90 seconds. Whoever stood victorious at the end would become the first ever Champion in The Temple. In the end it was Prince Puma, Johnny Mundo and the ruthless heavyweight Luchador Mil Muertes who remained. Muertes was orphaned at age seven, when his family was swallowed whole by an Earthquake. Worshiping a stone from that Earthquake, Muertes was bound to his valet, Catrina (Previously known as WWE’s stunning Maxine). After a hard fought final battle between the three men, it was Prince Puma who reigned victorious in the 60-minute Aztec Warfare bout and became the inaugural Lucha Underground Champion.

clipboard01dlq3z.jpg

Johnny Mundo, bitter in defeat became resolved to proof that he was the best. He was given the chance to prove as much in a battle with legendary wrestler Alberto El Patron (Alberto Del Rio) to become the Number One Contender to Puma’s Title. But once again, he would come up short and was defeated by El Patron. Johnny became consumed by his losses and brutally attacked El Patron to prevent him from taking his opportunity at Puma’s belt by tossing him through the window of Dario Cueto’s office.

clipboard013jp88.jpg

Meanwhile, Prince Puma defended the title on numerous occasions. Reigning victorious over the likes of Cage, Drago, King Cuerno, Hernandez, and Chavo Guerrero Jr. All while Mil Muertes grew ever more menacing and brutal as he became The Man Of A Thousand Deaths under Catrina’s control through the mystical stone. Aided by the Disciples of Death, they were a force to be reckoned with and feared by all.

clipboard013lopg.jpg

All but one, that is. Enter Mexico City’s Fénix, who would take on Mil Muertes in a Grave Consequences casket match. In what is considered by many to be the Match of the Year of 2015, and certainly the best match in Lucha Underground, Mil Muertes was finally defeated by Fénix and in an ultimate betrayal, locked in the casket by none other than Catrina. With Mil Muertes gone, Fénix set his sights on Puma’s championship. Only to be thwarted by a new menace, from Inframundo (the Underworld,) the man with the soul of a dragon: Drago.

clipboard01qsqcp.jpg

After having previously been defeated in a championship match with Puma, Cueto had banished Drago from The Temple. He was allowed to return and challenge for the title once more, if only he could defeat Mil Muertes in a one-on-one match, only to find himself defeated by Muertes and Catrina.

clipboard01tvq76.jpg

Meanwhile, Cueto decided that just one championship would not be enough for all his Luchadors to contend over. So he created some the Lucha Underground Trios Titles. A championship contended over by teams of three fighters. Causing many former rivals to team up in an attempt to become champions themselves. Finally victorious, was the most unlikeliest of teams, comprised of Son of Havoc (indie wrestler Matt Cross), “The Baddest Bitch in the Building” Ivelisse and South-African high-flying high-risk sensation Angelico.

clipboard01hhqxh.jpg

In addition to the Trios title, Dario Cueto introduced seven Aztec Medallions, who were told to have great power and wealth for those in possession of one. The medallions were often at stake in matches, though some were earned and given to further Cueto’s own goals.

clipboard01u6rez.jpg

Meanwhile, wrestling legend and Lucha Underground commentator Vampiro, became more and more consumed as Pentagon Jr. entered The Temple and started decimating other fighters as sacrifices in the name of an unknown master. Breaking the arms of many fighters, Vampiro could stand by no longer when Pentagon Jr. chose his next target to be the Lucha Underground Ring Announcer Melissa Santos. Vampiro finally went to take matters into his own hands and confronted Pentagon Jr. who became irate at the intrusion.

clipboard01ufr8o.jpg

Pentagon Jr. wanted Vampiro in the ring for match, but the retired veteran rejected the continued challenges. Attempting to force his hand Pentagon Jr. attacked Vampiro and covered him in gasoline, threatening to set the on fire. This proved the final nudge that Vampiro needed, when he finally relented and granted Pentagon Jr. the match at the Season One premiere event, Ultima Lucha.

ultimalucha-30apqj.jpg

Ultima Lucha saw many battles, Johnny Mundo bested Alberto El Patron and Hernandez was defeated by Drago in singles bouts. The team of Angelico, Ivelisse (who wrestled on crutches, due to having a broken leg) and Son of Havoc defended their Trios Championship against Catrina’s Disciples of Death under Texas Tornado Rules (meaning there were no tags, and it was a free for all match). Despite the defending team's most valiant efforts, including one of Angelico’s patented death defying crossbody jumps on the Disciples from the top of Cueto’s office to the floor, the team was finally defeated when Catrina used the mythical stone and knocked out Ivelisse for the pin-count, making the Disciples of Death the current reigning Trios Champions.

lucha-underground-6104qrlt.jpg

In the build up to Ultima Lucha, Dario Cueto revealed the true purpose of the seven coveted Aztec Medallions. Each of the medallions would slot into a new championship belt, the Lucha Underground Gift of the Gods title. The seven medallion holders, Aero Star, Bengala, Big Ryck, Fénix, Jack Evans, King Cuerno and Sexy Star all gathered in the ring and slotted their prizes into the belt. At Ultimate Lucha, the seven fought a hard battle, and Fénix became the first ever champion.

clipboard01x8qm4.jpg

Vampiro finally faced Pentagon Jr. in one of the most brutal matches displayed on TV in years. The Cero Miedo (Zero Fear, Pentagon’s catchphrase) Match took place both inside and outside of the ring and many weapons were used, from fluorescent lamps to burning tables, nothing was safe from the two men. Ultimately, a bloody Pentagon Jr. finally defeated Vampiro. After the match was over, Vampiro continued to taunt Pentagon Jr. and demanded he break his arm. After Pentagon Jr. did so, he asked his master to finally reveal himself. Which led to none other than Vampiro himself to announce that he was, in fact, Pentagon’s teacher, claiming the match was his final test and telling Pentagon Jr. “You are ready, my son”. The two go into Season Two united, as apprentice and master.

clipboard01giph1.jpg

Meanwhile, Catrina had requested a title opportunity for Mil Muertes against Prince Puma. Cueto granted him a number one contenders match against Drago, which Muertes won. In the build towards the match, The Disciples of Death attacked Puma and his manager, Konnan, putting the latter into a casket, leaving Puma without back-up in the title match at Ultimate Lucha. Outnumbered five to one, Puma fought a hard battle, but was ultimately defeated. Losing his belt to Mil Muertes, the first season of Lucha Underground ended with Katrina and her men standing victorious over all.

clipboard01cko3a.jpg

Many fled The Temple that day, including Dario Cueto himself, as we return for the second season of Lucha Underground the fates of all these men is unknown.

-------

Lucha Underground returns January 27th, and will air on Wednesdays on the El Rey Network at 8PM ET.

Here’s some promo-shots for the new season:

And finally, GAF, I heard you like GIF's:
tumblr_ns9y7aAOKD1rofocqo1_500.0.gif

lucha9.gif

lucha1.gif

lucha2.gif

lucha10.gif

lucha5.gif

lucha4.gif

tablegif.gif

tumblr_nsmyfleY1R1rofocqo1_400.gif

tumblr_inline_nlh1p8O5Oh1qkwso3.gif

PnhmiTB.gif

Grave%20Consequences_zpsihb7jcqa.gif

d9jTboDR.gif

Lucha Underground returns January 27th, and will air on Wednesdays on the El Rey Network at 8PM ET.

Alternative options, courtesy of Kaladin:
Something for the OT:

Ways you can watch Lucha Underground Online Legit:

Sling TV: $20 / month base package includes El Rey Network streaming.

FUBO TV : $10 / month base package includes El Rey Network streaming.

Both services have limited On Demand functions of past shows.

Aiii

So not worth it
Can't wait for the second season, the first was so much fun - any world on an official physical release? Would love to own a blu-ray set.

Unfortunately not, I would love to own it as well.

Still no word on a Netflix or other streaming site getting it, either.

I cannot wait! Seriously, it's one of my most anticipated entertainment events this year. No movie or game or book or album is even close. Hype! :)

I just hope it's easy to watch in the UK.

Hex

Banned
Lucha Underground and NXT are the two best wrestlinug products on tv going.
Been counting the days until El Jefe returned.

DKehoe

I never got round to watching this (other than the casket match) and always meant to before Season 2 started. Maybe I'll just watch Ultimo Lucha and then watch season 2 along with everyone else.

Caderfix

I never got round to watching this (other than the casket match) and always meant to before Season 2 started. Maybe I'll just watch Ultimo Lucha and then watch season 2 along with everyone else.

Honestly, you'd miss a lot, but it would still give you a good background for season two.

DKehoe

Honestly, you'd miss a lot, but it would still give you a good background for season two.

Yeh, ideally I'd have liked to have watched all of season 1 but if I plan to do that then there's so much to watch to get caught up that I might never fully get round to it and there will only be more as season 2 progresses. I'd like to be able to follow it week to week with everyone else so I think I'm maybe best just diving in.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they eventually sell a Blu-Ray of the first season. I wish FIOs would get El Rey Network. I have Unimas but I prefer watching wrestling with English commentary.

DKehoe

Thanks for this!

Video not available outside of US, boo these people.

Another good listen (though I'd watch Vampiro vs. Pentagon Jr. first) is the SCSA Podcast with Vampiro about it: http://podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=436&pid=530145

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll make sure to check that out after I've watched Ultimo Lucha.

Caderfix

There's one thing I'd like to change though. I'd like to not see Pimpinela Escarlata, Mascarita Sagrada and The Moth at all this season.

kiguel182

I didn't watch season 1 but I'm in for season 2. Your summary for the first season is amazing.

Also, Netflix should grab this and spend some of their 6 billion on it.

I didn't watch season 1 but I'm in for season 2. Your summary for the first season is amazing.

Also, Netflix should grab this and spend some of their 6 billion on it.

There's still time! The S1 episodes are up on Daily Motion. It's where i watched them as i'm in the UK. At this point in time the network seems to not mind as long as the word and hype is out there. I'll be spending this week catching up too.

Thanks for link to the region free catch-up programme, much appreciated Hasney.

imBask

Banned
i'm still catching up on season 1, but i'm ready.

Lucha Underground is the logical evolution of wrestling. Everyone involved understands what wrestling is, including the audience

LUCHA UNDERGROUND FAV FIVE:

1-Angelico
2-Pentagon Jr
3-Puma
4-Sexystar
5-Mundo

HM : Hernandez

Aiii

So not worth it
That is one glorious gif, my friend.

i'm still catching up on season 1, but i'm ready.

Lucha Underground is the logical evolution of wrestling. Everyone involved understands what wrestling is, including the audience

LUCHA UNDERGROUND FAV FIVE:

1-Angelico
2-Pentagon Jr
3-Puma
4-Sexystar
5-Mundo

HM : Hernandez

LU FAVE FIVE:
5. Catrina and Mil Muertes
4. Fenix
3. Angelico
2. Dario Cueto
1. Pentagon Jr.

Boy, it was hard to just pick five, I even had to cheat. Puma is obviously the honorable mention, but I wish they did more with him and give him some personality.

Foggy

Only thing I'm fuzzy on is the whole Gift of the Gods belt thing. Only things I know is that it grants "immortality" and a guaranteed title shot. But once you use the title shot, don't the medallions disperse? So you have a title shot belt that you have to defend, which would be interesting but only if title shots are rare and difficult to come by. It just comes across as a half-baked idea.

1. Mil
2. Puma
3. King Cuerno
4. Angelico
5. Pentagon Jr.

Aiii

So not worth it
Only thing I'm fuzzy on is the whole Gift of the Gods belt thing. Only things I know is that it grants "immortality" and a guaranteed title shot. But once you use the title shot, don't the medallions disperse? So you have a title shot belt that you have to defend, which would be interesting but only if title shots are rare and difficult to come by. It just comes across as a half-baked idea.

It was just a McGuffin to have some stakes for matches I think, the belt itself indeed works like a Money in the Bank contract (but with a one weeks notice), during the belt presentation Dario said this:
In-ring: Dario said the seven medallions make up the gift of the gods. He revealed a title belt that allows the holder to face the LU champion whenever he wants. He said he is a promoter and will not allow the holder to just cash it in whenever he wants (much snickering in the crowd). Dario said the match must be approved by him. He said the first titleholder will be determined at Ultima Lucha in a seven-way match. The medallions will be redistributed after the match.

So I guess another seven-way for the belt is the next step.

I'm so hyped for this. LU is so good that it actually got my non-wrestling fan friends watching it in awe.

1. Puma
2. Mil
3. Angelico
4. Pentagon Jr.
5. Mundo

Hex

Banned
The Hexed Lucha Cinco from favorite down-

Pentagon Jr
Angelico
Catrina and Mil Muertes
Fenix
Son of Havok

And of course the lord of it all Dario Cueto

Sephzilla

Goddamn I wish there was some official way to watch season 1 right now. I've only seen samplings of LU but holy crap what I did see was glorious.

abundant

Lucha Underground and NXT are the two best wrestling products on tv going.

And I'm so glade we have them. I love having that old feeling of anticipation for every new episode of LU and NXT.

Goddamn I wish there was some official way to watch season 1 right now. I've only seen samplings of LU but holy crap what I did see was glorious

If you have a DVR and El Rey, they're having a Season 1 marathon this weekend.

Scottify

Can't wait. This was easily my favorite wrestling program last year. I loved how they shot the show, the backstage stuff was just so good. Very soap opera-esque.

Fave five
1) Drago
2) Angelico
3) Prince Puma
4) Mil Muertes
5) Son of Havoc

Caderfix

The main title changed hands once during the entire first season, and they knew how to book the champion and the contenders. That's how you make a belt mean something.

imBask

Banned
The main title changed hands once during the entire first season, and they knew how to book the champion and the contenders. That's how you make a belt mean something.

Puma wasn't on screen every week, and you still knew who was the champ and that he was damn good

because he was damn good

and because he wasn't forced down your throat

DKehoe

Puma wasn't on screen every week, and you still knew who was the champ and that he was damn good

because he was damn good

and because he wasn't forced down your throat

Who is booking Lucha Underground anyway? Is it Konnan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom