• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumines (Mizuguchi's new game)

Sho Nuff

Banned
lumine_logo.gif

Lumine is a great Tokyo mega-mall full of awesome gourmet restaurants where I eat lunch every day.

BUT THIS THREAD ISN'T ABOUT THAT SHIT, it's about Tet Mizuguchi's new trippy music game! Mizuguchi was showing it off at the Sony booth -- he had two demo units showing it off, with big ass headphones attached to each one.

It's kind of a Tetris clone. You have a block of four squares drop from the top. Each square is one of two colours. Your goal is to group the colours together into a block of four. Blocks slide down to the bottom if there's a lip so you don't get pieces hanging. It's very easy, you can pick it up in a second, three seconds if you're slow. Once you form the block, you wait for this line that scans from the left to the right of the screen to "Activate" and erase it. I think if you group the same color blocks near the big blocks of four you create BEFORE the scan line hits it, you get some kind of bonus.

I'm not sure how to describe the music. Kind of trancey, acoustic, LOTS of vocals being overlaid, which was really neat. I was playing the game and kind of rocking out to it and it took me a few minutes to realise that the placement of the blocks in the game were directly affecting the music in realtime, kinda like a sequencer. I can really see myself grooving out to this game on the train to work, it's very relaxing.

The problem is that the game is a little too easy. I started to get kind of bored and wanted to die so the guy behind me could try, and I started dropping blocks randomly, but somehow it kept busting out combos and I went to the next level. Hmm.

In short, it's good, the backgrounds are trippy and have lots of color cylcing and it's fun to look at, but the core of it really seems like a Flash game that you could put together in an evening. I'd probably drop twenty bucks on it or so, but I'm a sucker for that Bejeweled type crap, y'know?

Thanks for the impressions!

Sounds good, although I was hoping for something more than a "Tetris clone" from Mizuguchi. Still, I'm looking forward to playing (and listening) to it. Hopefully we'll have some videos of it soon so I can see it in motion.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The problem is that the game is a little too easy. I started to get kind of bored and wanted to die so the guy behind me could try, and I started dropping blocks randomly, but somehow it kept busting out combos and I went to the next level. Hmm.
Tell the guy to include the Hard mode :) Mizuguchi's games are all prety easy, and I never found that to be a problem. I guess if Lumines just keeps speeding up, like Tetris, that would provide challenge. Tetris in itself is trivially easy untill you get to higher speed levels.

In short, it's good, the backgrounds are trippy and have lots of color cylcing and it's fun to look at, but the core of it really seems like a Flash game that you could put together in an evening.
With music changing and all? I doubt it... Then again, I'm not sure how the music changing works to begin with.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Bit like columns.. These kinds of 'match colour blocks to clear the screen' games are really difficult to get well balanced. Puyo Pop is well balanced, 1000's of clones on the web aren't

Hopefully they get time to tune it so it isn't dull - the sequencing style stuff sounds great.

john tv

Miz said a few times this game isn't his "baby" -- it's just the first game his company is showing off. Bandai is the publisher, BTW.

The stuff he's working on personally is still under wraps.

Still, that said, I'll be buying this one on the first day. Gotta support the little guys! (well, the ones who deserve it at least)

BuG

Sounds good, cheers for the impressions. Like others, I can't wait for some video of it. When I saw the PSP video streams thread I went into it expecting a Lumines video, but was sorely disappointed.

edit: Okay, there's now a link to a video with Lumines footage sans audio. I'll download that.

edit2: For what it's worth, Tetsuya Mizuguchi has updated his blog. Babelgrish says:

As for new game, the SONY PSP booth,
You can play with either one of the Bandai booth.

As for title, "LUMINES (ルミネス)".

The puzzle game and the performance impression of music fused
When new pleasant sensation is there, you have been self-confident.
(It is possible of course and still is but)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
When I saw the PSP video streams thread I went into it expecting a Lumines video, but was sorely disappointed.
There is a lumines video there (direct feed at that) but it has NO FRICKIN MUSIC!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Sho Nuff said:
lumine_logo.gif

Lumine is a great Tokyo mega-mall full of awesome gourmet restaurants where I eat lunch every day.

BUT THIS THREAD ISN'T ABOUT THAT SHIT, it's about Tet Mizuguchi's new trippy music game! Mizuguchi was showing it off at the Sony booth -- he had two demo units showing it off, with big ass headphones attached to each one.
Ha ha I liked how you opened the thread, it was a pretty nice segway.

john tv said:
Miz said a few times this game isn't his "baby" -- it's just the first game his company is showing off. Bandai is the publisher, BTW.

The stuff he's working on personally is still under wraps.

Hopefully we'll being seeing that on the DS! :)

MrSingh

the music is awesome. I will buy this game.. or search for the MP3's.

but the Sony guys were right when they said this is nothing more than a Flash game with awesome musics and cool gfx effects. :D

MrSingh said:
the music is awesome. I will buy this game.. or search for the MP3's.

but the Sony guys were right when they said this is nothing more than a Flash game with awesome musics and cool gfx effects. :D

Man, Sony people are so classy sometimes...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I would definitely like to hear more about the way you change the music by playing the game. Do you switch the tracks on/off or what (and what actions you do to do that). Also, who is making the music?

but the Sony guys were right when they said this is nothing more than a Flash game with awesome musics and cool gfx effects
Yeah, but by the simillar logic, Rez is nothing more than a screensaver to some people. Doesn't stop it from being one of the greatest things ever, for me.

BuG

I just watched the video with Lumines and it is a little disappointing that there was no sound, since it looks like Random Puzzle Game DX Plus Turbo without a pumping soundtrack, and the interaction with the music seems as though it'll be a bigger deal than the simple Tetris-like gameplay in the actual game. Hopefully there's some video released with decent sound soon enough. It's got Tetsuya Mizuguchi behind the wheel, though, so I'm going to keep this one on my radar, much the same as I blindly follow Unity's progress just because it's Jeff Minter.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I wanna see Mizuguchi make an RPG... instead of your typical buttrock/movie soundtrack wannabe score, make the music all progressive/trance... and have it do some type of dynamic mixing between tracks and pieces of tracks, depending on what's going on with the game... I guess the best example of this - Phantasy Star 3, the battle theme would change depending on how good you were doing in battle.

Top Bottom