• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M: TG: Duels of the Planeswalkers: XBLA: Tournament: Thread

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
xo16ba.jpg

The Game
257g4tc.jpg

M: TG Planeswalkers on XBLA (exclusively on XBox 360) and available for purchase via Microsoft points. To see a glowing review, look here: http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/review-magic-the-gathering-duels-of-the-planeswalkers

Prizes (courtesy Gatekeeper/topdeckhobbies.com)
magicarbooster.jpg

1st Place: Sealed Box of Alara Reborn booster packs
2nd Place: $25 dollars in store credit at Gatekeeper's online singles store
3rd & 4th: $10 dollars each in store credit

The Bracket
2i8uqft.png

The Tournament and Its Rules
A "tournament" is an organized contest wherein people play games against each other, either for pride or points. In this specific instance, the Official "Best of the Lowest of the Low" Tournament will consist of NeoGAF posters playing Planeswalkers against each other.

Steps (READ THIS MAN):
1. Before the match, e-mail me what deck(s) you are playing with. Like so:
AstroLad vs. GAFFER
(If only one deck): Games 1-7: Black Deck
(If more than one): Games 1-2: Green Deck. Game 3: Pink Deck That You Get When You Beat The Co-Op Campaign. Games 4-7: Blue Deck.
2. Look at the bracket and see who your opponent is. It goes GAF Name/Gamertag. Add that person and work out a time to play. But hurry the fuck up man.
3. Create a private match (default settings) and top person in each matchup invites bottom person.
4. Save your PMs so that you remember which decks you are using and USE THEM. No swapping afterwards, no matter how badly you are losing.
5. Once at the match screen, you can, however, edit the card set within the specific deck you chose (i.e., by taking out or adding unlocked cards). Do this from the match menu. But hurry the fuck up man.
6. Play your games all in a row, using the decks you PMed to me.
7. After each game, write down the score and deck. First to four wins wins. Wins.
8. Post match info here like so:
Astrolad 4 GAFFER 1
Game 1: AstroLad (Pink) 20 GAFFER (Midnight Black) -4
Game 2: AstroLad (Robin's Egg Blue) 17 GAFFER (Midnight Black) 0
[yadda yadda]
9. I will update the bracket after the results are posted. We'll move on to Round 2 games after all of Round 1 is completed. And so forth.

Sign-Up List
Post your info here and add at least your opponent(s) to your friends list.
GAF Name/Gamertag
1. AstroLad/AstroTheLad
2. Orellio/orellio
3. NameGenerated/Name Generated
4. Deunnero/Deunnero
5. Eric WK/Eric WK
6. Kureishima/Kureishima
7. XiaNaphryz/XiaNaphryz
8. XCell9200/ajc9387
9. 90/NIN 5
10. lostzenfound/lostzenfound
11. Gowans007/Gowans007
12. Timedog/Chickeny Dinner
13. Phreaker/Phreaker
14. Sonicmj1/torinofdeath
15. Ronabo/Ronabo
16. IJoel/IJoel

Waitlist
Blue Geezer/Blue Geezer
cynar/raspyberry
BigAT/BigAT4
Phthisis / Justegarde
Daigoro/Matty Thorns

I'll post the brackets here once we get to eight (unless we magically get to 16).

Oreoleo

Orellio/orellio

Still aiming for next week or so? I still need to unlock a ton of stuff. Worst case I guess I could play the green deck but..

Edit: Also, lol at all the dame colon's in that thread title.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I'll buy this game if there is enough for a solid tournament...actually I'll buy it anyways.

NameGenerated/Name Generated

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fyi I'm open to suggestions regarding structure and rules, but I went with what had the highest Easiness+Funnness Quotient and I doubt it can be topped.

sonicmj1

Question about deck selection:

Are we allowed to modify our decks based on matchup? For example, I've spent some time with the black deck, and I essentially have two configurations depending on whether I'm fighting the mirror match or a deck of a different color. When I see what deck my opponent has set on the pre-match screen, I hop into the deck editor and switch between the different designs.

Would that be permissible, or do I have to have a "one size fits all" configuration set up before going in?

I'll officially sign up later this afternoon, but I'm probably in.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Trax416 said:
So is this game good for someone who has never played before. Will it teach me how to play?
Actually yes. The game is basically designed to introduce new players to Magic, much to the chagrin of some of the hardcore. The tutorial is solid and the gameplay is very streamlined such that it's a completely self-contained experience. The core gameplay of Magic is actually super simple and the game does a good job of introducing it.

sonicmj1 said:
Question about deck selection:

Are we allowed to modify our decks based on matchup? For example, I've spent some time with the black deck, and I essentially have two configurations depending on whether I'm fighting the mirror match or a deck of a different color. When I see what deck my opponent has set on the pre-match screen, I hop into the deck editor and switch between the different designs.

Would that be permissible, or do I have to have a "one size fits all" configuration set up before going in?

I'll officially sign up later this afternoon, but I'm probably in.

Here is the way it'll work--you e-mail me the deck(s) you're using before your match ("match" meaning the 4-7 games you are playing against one opponent). After each game, people write down the score and the deck used and post:
Game 1: AstroLad (White) 27 NEOGAFFER (Green/Black) -9
Game 2: excetera

So you will be going in blind for your first game, yes, in the interest of supreme fairness, but then if you win you will be able to look at results to see which decks your opponents favor for subsequent games. This in essence becomes a postmodern "metagame" wherein the game itself is a game, which adds a lot of intellectual value to the tournament.

sonicmj1

AstroLad said:
Here is the way it'll work--you e-mail me the deck(s) you're using before your match ("match" meaning the 4-7 games you are playing against one opponent). After each game, people write down the score and the deck used and post:
Game 1: AstroLad (White) 27 NEOGAFFER (Green/Black) -9
Game 2: excetera

So you will be going in blind for your first game, yes, in the interest of supreme fairness, but then if you win you will be able to look at results to see which decks your opponents favor for subsequent games. This in essence becomes a postmodern "metagame" wherein the game itself is a game, which adds a lot of intellectual value to the tournament.

I think you misunderstood me a bit.

Let's say I want to use the Liliana Vess mono-black deck for all seven games. That doesn't mean that the deck list is necessarily fixed. While customization is limited, I might make sure to have my Soot Imps, Ascendant Evincars, and Deathmarks in for any matches against the green or white decks, while I'd only bring my Demon's Horns in if I were facing another black deck.

Must the deck list of the particular preconstructed deck I choose be fixed before the match begins? If not, at what points can I change that list?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
sonicmj1 said:
I think you misunderstood me a bit.

Let's say I want to use the Liliana Vess mono-black deck for all seven games. That doesn't mean that the deck list is necessarily fixed. While customization is limited, I might make sure to have my Soot Imps, Ascendant Evincars, and Deathmarks in for any matches against the green or white decks, while I'd only bring my Demon's Horns in if I were facing another black deck.

Must the deck list of the particular preconstructed deck I choose be fixed before the match begins? If not, at what points can I change that list?
Good question, as there are a few decks where I may want to pull some cards out that may benefit the other player due to deck color choice.

Also, IN! XiaNaphryz/XiaNaphryz

Blackface

Banned
AstroLad said:
Actually yes. The game is basically designed to introduce new players to Magic, much to the chagrin of some of the hardcore. The tutorial is solid and the gameplay is very streamlined such that it's a completely self-contained experience. The core gameplay of Magic is actually super simple and the game does a good job of introducing it.

How come the hard-core don't want new people getting into it? Do they want Magic to turn into Warhammer, which is dying a slow painful death.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Trax416 said:
How come the hard-core don't want new people getting into it? Do they want Magic to turn into Warhammer, which is dying a slow painful death.
afaict (and I'm no hardcore player myself; I haven't played since it came out basically except for a couple brief trips to MTGO) many are, but otoh some (probably reasonably) bemoan the lack of deck customization and the inability to choose lands to tap. Basically they want something close to MTGO on 360. Although if that means getting the MTGO card layout with the ugly text I will have to say PASS.

sonicmj1

Trax416 said:

They don't have any issues with new people getting into it.

They're annoyed that the 360 game is dumbed down compared to the full product (which can be found in MTGO on the PC) as a concession to make it easier for new players to learn.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sonicmj1 said:
They don't have any issues with new people getting into it.

They're annoyed that the 360 game is dumbed down compared to the full product (which can be found in MTGO on the PC) as a concession to make it easier for new players to learn.
The stated major reason for getting rid of customization (the biggest gripe by far) was to level the playing field online. And I'll be honest, it works. Maybe too well but hey.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sonicmj1 said:
oic. I haven't taken cards out myself. If you can do it from the matchup menu without having to exit out every time (I presume you can, since you can switch decks on the fly) and if you use your stated color then I think that's fine.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
XiaNaphryz said:
So is a mod going to move this to the Online forum or what? :lol
I think of it this way: just more exposure for the game I love and have dedicated my life to: Magic: The Gathering.

XiaNaphryz

AstroLad said:
I think of it this way: just more exposure for the game I love and have dedicated my life to: Magic: The Gathering.
There's also the effect of OT threads quickly shuffling threads like these off the front page easily. ;)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BobTheFork said:
Now, this is a game I wish was on PSN :/
I wish even more I had my old deck.
Green/white deck that would have leveled you :p
Not on XBLA. We don't allow those kinds of shenanigans. We only play with those select few decks chosen and approved by Bill Gates.

soultron said:
What's with all the Gaming threads appearing in OT lately?
IT's a last ditch effort to save OT

AstroLad said:
Not on XBLA. We don't allow those kinds of shenanigans. We only play with those select few decks chosen and approved by Bill Gates.
lol. Bill would have loved my deck: tons of mutilands, crawl wurms, cockatrice, northern Paladin, two(2) forces of Nature (ok they were a drain but damn were they scary) and enough artifacts regens and wards to rivel the gods sir!!! Oh, did you mean one color only per deck in this version?

Solaros

I play Magic, what do you need from me?
Edit: this is using some program to play or what?

Workshop or whatever it is?

Artadius

Voicing my support for this... but I will pass this round. I'm going on vacation next week so I don't want to join in only to not be available for matches.

Solaros said:
I play Magic, what do you need from me?
Edit: this is using some program to play or what?

Workshop or whatever it is?

Jesus, its the very first sentence of the OP.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BobTheFork said:
IT's a last ditch effort to save OT

lol. Bill would have loved my deck: tons of mutilands, crawl wurms, cockatrice, northern Paladin, two(2) forces of Nature (ok they were a drain but damn were they scary) and enough artifacts regens and wards to rivel the gods sir!!! Oh, did you mean one color only per deck in this version?
There are some two- and three- color decks. Nothing super fancy though.

AstroLad said:
There are some two- and three- color decks. Nothing super fancy though.
So can you assemble your own deck from cards?
Does everyone get the same card pool to use?
Any unlocking cards, or better cards for skilled players.
I should look into this.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BobTheFork said:
I should look into this.
No, very limited customization. You can unlock 17 cards for each of the seven pre-constructed decks and then add or remove those cards. Everyone plays with the same decks, you unlock one card for each deck for each opponent you beat in the campaign mode. It is very, very straightforward.

XiaNaphryz

BobTheFork said:
I should look into this.
It's essentially a bunch of pre-constructed starter decks. 5 mono-color decks (one for each color) and a handful of multi-colored ones. No true deck building or customization. You can unlock more cards for each deck playing through the game. No sideboards either, though you can choose whether to keep/remove cards you've unlocked.

That said, it's a good intro to Magic for beginners, and the deck restrictions are obviously the way they wanted to handle game balance in an easy way. We'll likely see more decks via DLC.

Ronabo

I just bought the game. Hooray for Amazon's instant code thingy!

I'll join up.

Ronabo / Ronabo

Now I'm off to play the damn thing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Damn GAF, so we're full up. Clearly the OT publicity was huge.

I'll add other sign-ups onto the waitlist.

Rorschach

AstroLad said:
Damn GAF, so we're full up. Clearly the OT publicity was huge.

I'll add other sign-ups onto the waitlist.
You're welcome.

Love,
The OT

PS: Gaming forum doesn't actually play games.

Top Bottom