• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M: TG: Duels of the Planeswalkers: XBLA: Tournament: Thread

BigAT

Astro, are you going to be around at all today/tonight to play? Saturday is pretty bad for me, but if not Sunday works.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sunday day works. not 100% on my schedule tonight but i might be around later. i'll pm you or send you a message if you are on live if so

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
wooowee. those first two games where i only got two mana the whole game were...painful. didn't get even a playable draw until game 4, the only even somewhat decent match. them's the breaks!

gluck boys!

BigAT

BigAT 4 - Astrolad 0

Game 1: BigAT (G/B) 14 :: Astrolad (G/B) -2
Game 2: BigAT (G/B) 25 :: Astrolad (B) -3
Game 3: BigAT (W) 34 :: Astrolad (G/B) -1
Game 4: BigAT (G/B) 12 :: Astrolad (W) 0

Oof, I don't even know what to say. I've seen bad luck before. I've seen really bad luck before. But I don't know what the hell happened in those two games for you. I've never seen someone forced to discard so much. I was getting angry for you at some point, the sheer probability of going that long without drawing a land is absurd.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
:lol so rough. At least they weren't those games where you're like "ooh, if only I had gotten one more land/creature!" It was more like "if only I had gotten more than one creature on the board, that game might have lasted a round longer!" I was hoping I'd sneak in a win in the last game when I evened the board (for the first time in the series!) but alas.

So if I follow this correctly, AstroLad and XiaNaphyrz finished in 3rd and 4th. Leaving BigAT and Sonicmj1 competing for the title?

sonicmj1

BigAT said:
Astro, your PM box is full so I sent my decks for the finals to Xia.
It was? I hope my PM got in...

We played the final round tonight and, once again, my opponent was struck with some rotten luck.

sonicmj1 ------ BigAT
Blue: 17 ------ White: 0
Elves: 7 ------ Elves: -23
Black: 17 ----- Elves: -12
Elves: 45 ----- White: -11

BigAT got stuck at two lands in Game 1 for a number of turns, which gave me enough time to build up a dominating army of fliers.

The Elf mirror was more interesting. My hand turned out to have more elves in it, and after I took the initiative with Elvish Champion, BigAT couldn't catch up. An Overrun ended it convincingly.

Game 3 was another case of mana screw, with BigAT never getting off two lands.

BigAT didn't draw much business or removal in Game 4, and what he did draw was struck down by Eyeblight's Ending and Essence Drain. An early Rhys catapulted me to a ridiculous life total. Walls and Whisps could not hold an army of Elves back forever.

With the exception of the mana screw games, they were pretty good matches. Game 2 felt pretty intense, especially.

BigAT

I think as we were parting Astro sneezed on me and I caught whatever luck streak you were operating with, at least for two of the games. I can't really complain though, I was on the opposite side of things for most of the tournament and it was bound to catch up to me.

Sonic played far too well for me to have a shot at overcoming bad draws when they happened. Congratulations to him on the victory, it's well deserved.

Also, thanks to Astro for running this thing (extremely well) and Gatekeeper for providing the prizes. It was definitely a good time and I would be down for doing something similar again.

sonicmj1

BigAT said:
Also, thanks to Astro for running this thing (extremely well) and Gatekeeper for providing the prizes. It was definitely a good time and I would be down for doing something similar again.

Seconding this. It went very smoothly, and Astrolad did a good job of making sure the tournament kept moving forward despite difficulties.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
HUGE thanks to gatekeeper and topdeckhobbies as well. Awesome that we got such great prizes for this tournament.

Top Bottom