• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M: TG: Duels of the Planeswalkers: XBLA: Tournament: Thread

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'll set up the brackets and finalize the rules tomorrow so that people can start playing their games.

Artadius

You know... if we get enough people interested in doing this with more options (deck building etc...) we could do a GAF Magic league using other free tools that let you play online like Magic Workstation...

Don't get me wrong, the xbla game is pretty awesome in its own right... but it'd be interesting perhaps to see some more robust leagues made... maybe some draft tournies or something.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Kureishima said:
Uh, when is this happening exactly?
This week I'd assume. Hopefully we'll get at least a few days window for each matchup so we can get people's scheduled synced up.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, I'm gonna post the final bracket and rules tonight/tomorrow. Then people can PM me their decks for their matchips and get to playing. I'm not going to enforce a hard-and-fast deadline or anything but if people are holding others up I'll just boot them.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Well I just bought the game and beat the first 11 guys with the straight green deck. I'm pretty limited in my selection right now. The Black and Green deck the 2nd time around destroyed me, my only loss so far.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Judging on the interest here and depending on how this one goes, maybe we'll do more of these. Can mix it up to by doing random-color matchups and the like. Okay, the game doesn't really allow that many ways to mix it up, but still.

Gowans

Added Deunnero to my friends list for the rumble.

I've been away so guess I'll get my practice in before the weekend.

I'm crossing my fingers.

Deunnero

Gowans007 said:
Added Deunnero to my friends list for the rumble.

I've been away so guess I'll get my practice in before the weekend.

I'm crossing my fingers.

Hope we can work this out. I'm ready anytime. I usually play from 10PM-2AM (GMT-5)

Just have a look out for me.

traveler

Not Wario
Artadius said:
You know... if we get enough people interested in doing this with more options (deck building etc...) we could do a GAF Magic league using other free tools that let you play online like Magic Workstation...

Don't get me wrong, the xbla game is pretty awesome in its own right... but it'd be interesting perhaps to see some more robust leagues made... maybe some draft tournies or something.

I would definitely be onboard for this. And I might pick up DotP next week just to give it a try. If nothing else, I'll get a copy of Garruk, who's been evading my collection for a while.

Deunnero

Have the matches been made? I can't see the info in the "Bracket" section if it is. Work sucks like that, they block all the good info.

Hey all,

I'm going to offer up some prizes for the tournament to the top 4.

1st Place: Sealed Box of Alara Reborn booster packs
2nd Place: $25 dollars in store credit at my online singles store
3rd & 4th: $10 dollars each in store credit

I'll contact the winners via PM with the relevant information.

Gatekeeper said:
Hey all,

I'm going to offer up some prizes for the tournament to the top 4.

1st Place: Sealed Box of Alara Reborn booster packs
2nd Place: $25 dollars in store credit at my online singles store
3rd & 4th: $10 dollars each in store credit

I'll contact the winners via PM with the relevant information.

O.O

i wasnt bothered about being on the waiting list until this post......

(that said being in the uk i couldnt use anything but the top prize but still!)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Some people were asking me if they can change their deck lists before their first match--yes, just please only change once so I don't get too many PMs.

Also GODDAMN at that first prize. If I win that, I may have to start playing Real Magic again (played it when it first came out for a month or so but that's about it). Not that I will but hey as commissioner I can make certain executive decisions, including banning my opponents from the league based on, e.g., immature and/or inappropriate comments made elsewhere on the forum. There is no appeals process.

Also Oreillo let's just PM our deck lists to Xianaphryz so that I am not accused of engaging in anything less than Ultimate Fairness.

Gowans

ooh Prizes!!! :D

Planning on getting up super early & playing my first game tonight, best go and unlock all the cards on my deck then.

Oreoleo

AstroLad said:
Also Oreillo let's just PM our deck lists to Xianaphryz so that I am not accused of engaging in anything less than Ultimate Fairness.

Sounds good, I was curious how you wanted to do that. I played online yesterday and was impressed with a couple decks, so if you don't mind waiting till say Friday to play so I can round out some decks besides my mono-green that would be awesome :D

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Sonicmj1 - 4::::NameGenerated - 1
Game 1: Sonicmj1 (Green/Black) 26-ish::::NameGenerated (Green/Black) 0
Game 2: Sonicmj1 (Black) 17::::NameGenerated (Green/Black) 0
Game 3: Sonicmj1 (Green/Black) 16 ::::NameGenerated (Green/Black) -12
Game 4: Sonicmj1 (Black) -2::::NameGenerated (Green/Black) 15
Game 5: Sonicmj1 (Green/Black) 23::::NameGenerated (Green/Black) 0

I got destroyed, probably should have played more than 1 match before with this deck,gg. :(

Amory

XiaNaphryz killed me 4 games to none.

Im hanging my head in shame.

GG to you though, dude. I got my ass handed to me.

XiaNaphryz

Doh, forgot to write down the life totals for mine. The one that was relatively close was the third game I think when he got me down to the 5 range, until I managed to get rid of his pair of Elvish Champions with a pair of Consume Spirits, which got my life back up to 11 and also helped buff my Mortivore. If I didn't topdeck those Consume Spirits I'd have lost that one easily.

XiaNaphryz 4 - XCell9200 0

Game 1: Xia (Black) (18-ish?) beats XCell (Green/Black) (-3 or something)
Game 2: Xia (White) (28 I believe) beats XCell (Blue) (-7 abouts?)
Game 3: Xia (Black) (11) beats XCell (Green/Black) (-20-ish to 25 or so)
Game 4: Xia (Green/Black) (19) beats XCell (Blue) (somewhere around -8)

XCell seemed to have a bit of a mana screw problem in the first 2 games, then starting hand issues in the last one.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Damn Deunnero I've had some crazy games on this and that last one was definitely oen of the craziest.

AstroLad said:
Damn Deunnero

A bit OT, but these two words together make me think of "Dominie Dirtch". I mean, that's how I read it from afar somehow.

I'm still trying to work out how to awesomely play this game, but I think my matchup and I have agreed (htough I'm not sure) on a perfect day. Yay.

Gowans

Started my round of matches against Deunnero this morning before work, awesome awesome games.

Got though a couple of games and we're level pegging at the mo, had a epic first game playing very cautiously poking each other to see who would bite first. The amount of damage being dealt later in that game were huge.

Deunnero

AstroLad said:
Damn Deunnero I've had some crazy games on this and that last one was definitely oen of the craziest.

Yeah that last one was a complete nail biter ... final score 1-0 .. :lol

Gowans007 said:
Started my round of matches against Deunnero this morning before work, awesome awesome games.

Got though a couple of games and we're level pegging at the mo, had a epic first game playing very cautiously poking each other to see who would bite first. The amount of damage being dealt later in that game were huge.

Deunnero/Gowan007 matchup

Gowan leads series 3-2

Game 1: -42 to 53 Gowan (with Green Deck)
Game 2: 31 to -25 Deunnero (with Green Deck)
Game 3: Gowan (with Green Deck)
Game 4: Deunnero (with Green Deck)
Game 5: Gowan (with Green Deck)

Was some amazing action!

EDIT: Games 3 and 4 are scheduled for the weekend.

XiaNaphryz

Not a lot of activity in the thread it seems...do the majority of the participants even realize there's a bracket now?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's a good point. I think if people haven't checked in this weekend I'll start pulling off the waitlist.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Speaking of which Orellio let's try to get our matches in tonight if we're both on, or definitely tomorrow.

Deunnero

AstroLad said:
Speaking of which Orellio let's try to get our matches in tonight if we're both on, or definitely tomorrow.

If I'm on waiting for Gowan later, and Orellio doesn't show, hit me up for a quick match. I have revised my strategy and feel confident I can win a match against you. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sure. fyi, tomorrow night I'm gonna go back and check to see who hasn't posted that they'll be playing or have played their games and then get waitlist people to fill in for them. Now if I were more cynical, I would just forfeit all those games so I have fewer people to compete against for those SWEET SWEET PRIZES.

XiaNaphryz

AstroLad said:
Sure. fyi, tomorrow night I'm gonna go back and check to see who hasn't posted that they'll be playing or have played their games and then get waitlist people to fill in for them. Now if I were more cynical, I would just forfeit all those games so I have fewer people to compete against for those SWEET SWEET PRIZES.
In the interest of fairness, perhaps you should just send a mass PM reminder saying people should at the very least have their matches scheduled by tomorrow night with the info posted on this thread so everyone knows they're still in or they risk getting replaced. On the other hand, you're running the show so you can do whatever you feel is correct.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
oh you can only pm one person at a time so it's a chore. then people start to expect it instead of actually following the thread like they should (run enough gaf leagues to know how it goes).

to be as clear as possible since it's really time to get going:

Play your games or post about when you will play them by tomorrow. If you have been PMing/XBL messaging someone and they are MIA, let me know and I will find a replacement. If both people in matchup are MIA, I'll find two replacements. All round-one games should be played by the end of next Saturday, July 4th (preferably this weekend though). Round Two will start Sunday, July 5 and go through Saturday, July 11.

If that doesn't work for someone's schedule, please let me know so I can get a replacement.

fyi the bracket will be updated once each round is completed.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So on.

pic482003_md.jpg

Top Bottom