• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M2 Reveals Nintendo Switch Can Already Run Sega Naomi Titles, Dreamcast "Definitely" Coming In The Future.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...dreamcast_definitely_coming_in_the_future#nnn

In an interview with Game Watch, courtesy of Nintendo Everything, M2 President Naoki Horii and Sega AGES Producer Kagasei Shimomura revealed the team had been looking into releasing games from the Sega Naomi arcade board which was first demonstrated in 1998.

Here's what the pair had to say:

Horii: We’re actually in the middle of researching SEGA NAOMI’s* titles as opposed to those on Dreamcast, to put it precisely. Truth be told, there’s a NAOMI game that we’re working on at present just because we wanted to play it. We’re actually presenting it because it’s a title that has stuck with Shimomura-san – one way or another we were going to release it.

Shimomura: The Nintendo Switch can already run NAOMI titles, that much is certain. I want to make sure that SEGA AGES Vol. 1 is a hit.

*The SEGA NAOMI is an arcade board that shares a common “architecture” with the Dreamcast.

Horii: The Nintendo Switch is a console that can serve as a portable system – that being said we can still have the games run at a high resolution and run well.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
My first thought was Great! But then i thought yeah money for old rope. As i can't see them being cheap, fair enough if they was.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
My first thought was Great! But then i thought yeah money for old rope. As i can't see them being cheap, fair enough if they are.

Last edited:
Excellent news! And if M2 is handling it, I know the games will be in good hands. Ikaruga and Zero Gunner 2 are already on the eShop. More Naomi shmups to follow, please? Good ports of Under Defeat and Giga Wing 2 would be heavenly.

petran79

Banned
I'd be more interested in Model 3 above Step 1.5 titles too, which run on more powerful hardware than Naomi. Emulation does not do them justice

Makes sense.

Though missing the VMU mini games/features and the inevitable dead battery screech for true authenticity.

I'd be more interested in Model 3 above Step 1.5 titles too, which run on more powerful hardware than Naomi. Emulation does not do them justice

I'd love an arcade perfect port of Daytona 2.

Last edited:
Is this somehow different from billions of versions of various Sega classic games that were released on almost every platform in last 10 years ?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
*The SEGA NAOMI is an arcade board that shares a common “architecture” with the Dreamcast.
DC was literally a memory-cut-down version of the NAOMI, and the game medium limited to non-buffered GD-ROM.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Sonic adventure collection with chao garden.

Do it sega.
Is this somehow different from billions of versions of various Sega classic games that were released on almost every platform in last 10 years ?
Yes because they have significantly less ports of dreamcast games than genesis

VertigoOA

Banned
I’d rebuy a switch if it meant Dreamcast/naomi Sega ports. It may be a port machine but... enough good stuff and I’ll bite

BlackTron

At this point, almost every Dreamcast game I loved has been ported to another system -Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Grandia II, Rayman 2, Phantasy Star Online...

And yet if any arrive on Switch in physical form I'll probably buy them again anyway

Crew 511A

I'll be that guy... I'm holding out for the Saturn ports. Don't care about how hard it is, it needs to happen.

Vitacat

Good news for Switch users. DC and Naomi have some of THE best games ever made IMO, especially if you like arcade games.

Now, if you own a GPD Win 2 you can already play all these games on the go pretty much perfectly using Redream and Demul (Saturn too, since someone mentioned it, using Yaba Sanshiro), but way more people have Switches obviously. And of course the Switch versions would be fully licensed etc.

Crew 511A

You'll have to wait for the Xbox One-Seventy for the power needed to successfully emulate Saturn.
Well, maybe don't do emulation, but ports. Saturn games like Guardian Heroes, Nights, Radiant Silvergun, and Panzer Dragoon, have been ported to the OG Xbox and Xbox 360.

I know Sega supposedly lost the source code, yadda yadda. But I don't see how they keep porting the same games indefinitely and keep making a profit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom