• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Deku Tree

Could the new MBA owners comment on how hot those things get under semi-heavy use (think multiple youtube videos while browsing 10 GAF tabs and editing a spreadsheet). My biggest beef with the MBPs has always been how unpleasant they are on your lap.

Can't answer your question, but even if they get hot a plastic clamshell case e.g. from Speck would stop that quickly.

kidko

Hoping for a 13" rMBP with quad core + 5200, and decent battery life. If they can manage it, that'll be the ideal laptop for a lot of power users.

Heck yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Quad core for audio production makes a big difference when using lots of tracks and plug-ins.

Also intrigued by the new Mac Pro and will be keeping my eye on it.

Croc

Banned
Okay everyone, I need some pretty quick advice here.

Long story short, after an incident my boyfriend's computer now only works when it's plugged in. We researched on our own and took it a couple of places including a Mac Store and got differing opinions on what was wrong but everyone suggested to just buy a new one cause the cost would be too much to fix it.

It's a 13" MBP Mid 2008 model and works perfectly fine aside from the fact it only works when connected to a charger now.

So, first question is what's the best way to go about selling that/how much do you guys think we'd be able to get from that with that (pretty significant) problem? The guy at this local store offered us $125 cash or $175 trade in which I though was pretty low considering he s aid he usually offers $175 cash for fully functional ones, but I don't actually know what I'm talking about.

Next question/part of the story:

At that same local store we found another MBP there with these specs(sorry for the sideways pic) for $880:

tumblr_mom6r9kwLz1rfce8ro1_500.jpg

Is that a good deal for those specs and should we jump on that taking his trade in offer for the old MBP? Or would we be able to find a better deal elsewhere, and if so, where?

Sorry for the long post but this is pretty urgent considering my bf uses his laptop a lot for class/research/etc. so I'm trying to figure this out ASAP.

Tigel

Hello Mac-GAF, I'm in need of advices!

I'm kinda interested in buying the new MacBook Air (13''), but I was wondering:
as a photographer, can it handle alot photo editing well? Like having lightroom 4 and PS CS6 running at the same time while editing photos?

I'm planning on taking it with me on my different travels, that's why I was considering the Air, to same some weight and space!

Deku Tree

Hello Mac-GAF, I'm in need of advices!

as a photographer, can it handle alot photo editing well? Like having lightroom 4 and PS CS6 running at the same time while editing photos?

I'm planning on taking it with me on my different travels, that's why I was considering the Air, to same some weight and space!

Definitely max out the RAM. Go into an apple store and try it out. Personally I am not sure about the rest. The rMBP is also very light and small and comes in 13". The Air is not going to perform as well as the rMBP for heavy duty photo editing but you might find the Air good enough for while you are traveling.

Run Aperture 3, CS6, and Nik plugins on my '11 11" with very few problems. I shoot with a Nikon D600. Occasionally gets quite hot, and Aperture 3 can beachball, but mostly it works very well.

Tigel

Definitely max out the RAM. Go into an apple store and try it out. Personally I am not sure about the rest. The rMBP is also very light and small and comes in 13". The Air is not going to perform as well as the rMBP for heavy duty photo editing but you might find the Air good enough for while you are traveling.

Run Aperture 3, CS6, and Nik plugins on my '11 11" with very few problems. I shoot with a Nikon D600. Occasionally gets quite hot, and Aperture 3 can beachball, but mostly it works very well.

Thanks guys.
I'll pay a visit to my nearest Apple Store and check it out.
The 13'' rMBP does indeed look nice, but I'm wary of purchasing it as it may be updated to a newer model very soon...

Question about my Air's WiFi connectivity. I've noticed that whenever I'm using it and boot up something else that takes up WiFi (360, iPhone) I lose my signal and can't get it back. I don't have this problem on my iMac it connects fine and the WiFi signal still shows as connected it just won't load any websites. Anything I should be looking for?

TUSR

Banned
How do you guys think the Haswell rMBP 13” will perform, in terms of battery life and overall performance?

Im going to say better performance overall, and marginally better battery life unless they change the design.

Question about my Air's WiFi connectivity. I've noticed that whenever I'm using it and boot up something else that takes up WiFi (360, iPhone) I lose my signal and can't get it back. I don't have this problem on my iMac it connects fine and the WiFi signal still shows as connected it just won't load any websites. Anything I should be looking for?

Sounds more like a router issue to me.

Thanks guys.
I'll pay a visit to my nearest Apple Store and check it out.
The 13'' rMBP does indeed look nice, but I'm wary of purchasing it as it may be updated to a newer model very soon...

I honestly wouldn't touch the Retina line unless there are updates to Haswell and more.
If you don`t need the rMBP`s power, max the RAM on a 13`MBA.

calza

So I think I am going to go for the new 13" MBA but not sure about what upgrades to get. I'm in the UK so the 8GB memory is an extra £80 which is fine but I am not sure about upgrading to the i7 or the larger SSD.

The i7 is an extra £120 if I get the base 13" or £130 on the 256GB model.

I just want to use it for university stuff and dota 2, while my fiancee may use it as well for photo editing. The problem is it gets really expensive once I add all the upgrades, I do get education pricing but it does seem a lot of money and just not sure how much better it would be fully specced out or if I could get away with just the i5? or 128GB?

How can I check that?

Edit
I see the settings in Messages. They both have my phone number to start new conversations with and have my email as well...

On iPad it's under settings>message>send&receive. See if your phone number is listed there. I'm at work so I don't have my MacBook with me and I can't remember exactly where you would check on there. It's somewhere under the Messages app account settings if my memory serves me right.

Edit: Beat me to it.

twofold

Deku Tree

So I think I am going to go for the new 13" MBA but not sure about what upgrades to get. I'm in the UK so the 8GB memory is an extra £80 which is fine but I am not sure about upgrading to the i7 or the larger SSD.

The i7 is an extra £120 if I get the base 13" or £130 on the 256GB model.

I just want to use it for university stuff and dota 2, while my fiancee may use it as well for photo editing. The problem is it gets really expensive once I add all the upgrades, I do get education pricing but it does seem a lot of money and just not sure how much better it would be fully specced out or if I could get away with just the i5? or 128GB?

I think of the extra money like its future proofing. If your computer lasts for an extra few years before it gets slow and stuffy, then you actually saved a ton of money.

Regarding the size of the SSD, it is just a matter of how much data you have and whether or not you are willing to keep a bunch of your data on some sort of an external disk or not.

calza

I think of the extra money like its future proofing. If your computer lasts for an extra few years before it gets slow and stuffy, then you actually saved a ton of money.

Regarding the size of the SSD, it is just a matter of how much data you have and whether or not you are willing to keep a bunch of your data on some sort of an external disk or not.

Yeah, I think I might just go for the i7, 8GB but 128GB as all my media is on my portable hdd.

Just wondering will Apple be doing their back to school promotion? Is it not usually on by now?

mrkgoo

With any luck my new iMac should arrive today!

I decided my plan was just to start fresh with the computer itself, but migrate my user account. I know there's a lot of cruft there but I guess it's a compromise between work and simplicity.

Is it recommended to do a home folder permission reset or anything? Or does a migrate uaer account actually do stuff like this during the migrate? i know ifbyiubuae kigrate assistant vs setup assistant that you grt assigned the NEXT user id and not the default 501.

I think I will repair permissions on my aperture library.

What about syncing my old iPhone? Since its a copied library, will it just work? Even though the computer name will be different?

Long story short, after an incident my boyfriend's computer now only works when it's plugged in. We researched on our own and took it a couple of places including a Mac Store and got differing opinions on what was wrong but everyone suggested to just buy a new one cause the cost would be too much to fix it.

This makes sense; while Apple Stores typically carry MBP batteries I imagine they don't carry very old model versions. And even then a replacement battery is usually ~$150. So I can only assume you looked down that route at the Apple Store and figured out it wasn't going to work?

It's a 13" MBP Mid 2008 model and works perfectly fine aside from the fact it only works when connected to a charger now.

Usually this is because the battery is tanked (capacity is shot because of the number of cycles it has been charged, or long term heat damage). I have an old Lenovo with the same problem, and since older laptops ran so much hotter it would tank new or refurb batteries pretty quickly anyway.

So, first question is what's the best way to go about selling that/how much do you guys think we'd be able to get from that with that (pretty significant) problem? The guy at this local store offered us $125 cash or $175 trade in which I though was pretty low considering he s aid he usually offers $175 cash for fully functional ones, but I don't actually know what I'm talking about.

It's low because a) it needs a new battery I assume and b) systems that old are hard to sell. 2008 is too old to run Mavericks so it's basically only of interest to people who have old software ready to go.

Normally you could use something like Mac2Sell.net as a quick price guide (for the high end price, anyway, I doubt you can get the number they quote except through a lot of hard work on craigslist, perhaps), but there's no such thing as a 2008 13" MBP as far as I can tell, so you may want to check the specs.

($880) Is that a good deal for those specs and should we jump on that taking his trade in offer for the old MBP? Or would we be able to find a better deal elsewhere, and if so, where?

Ugh. Not really. It's still quite old; as best I can tell it's a mid 2009 model with an upgraded hard drive and a bit of extra RAM? You're only $100 away from getting a refurb 2012 baseline MBP at that point. I can see the allure of moving up to 15" but my opinion would be to look for a 2010 or 2011 model if you're really considering spending that much money. Where? Well if that place doesn't have anything else of interest you could either look for other hardware shops, consider Craigslist, Apple refurbs, or if you really must, eBay...though obviously one must be very careful with that last option. (There's gotta be some decent online stores for this stuff too though, maybe someone else here could speak up to that?)

mrkgoo

This makes sense; while Apple Stores typically carry MBP batteries I imagine they don't carry very old model versions. And even then a replacement battery is usually ~$150. So I can only assume you looked down that route at the Apple Store and figured out it wasn't going to work?

Usually this is because the battery is tanked (capacity is shot because of the number of cycles it has been charged, or long term heat damage). I have an old Lenovo with the same problem, and since older laptops ran so much hotter it would tank new or refurb batteries pretty quickly anyway.

It's low because a) it needs a new battery I assume and b) systems that old are hard to sell. 2008 is too old to run Mavericks so it's basically only of interest to people who have old software ready to go.

Normally you could use something like Mac2Sell.net as a quick price guide (for the high end price, anyway, I doubt you can get the number they quote except through a lot of hard work on craigslist, perhaps), but there's no such thing as a 2008 13" MBP as far as I can tell, so you may want to check the specs.

Ugh. Not really. It's still quite old; as best I can tell it's a mid 2009 model with an upgraded hard drive and a bit of extra RAM? You're only $100 away from getting a refurb 2012 baseline MBP at that point. I can see the allure of moving up to 15" but my opinion would be to look for a 2010 or 2011 model if you're really considering spending that much money. Where? Well if that place doesn't have anything else of interest you could either look for other hardware shops, consider Craigslist, Apple refurbs, or if you really must, eBay...though obviously one must be very careful with that last option. (There's gotta be some decent online stores for this stuff too though, maybe someone else here could speak up to that?)

Is it too old to run Mavericks? I have an old early 2008 MBP that isn't even a unibody model, and it runs mountain lion and I presume mavericks. Maybe you meant run it well?

Is it too old to run Mavericks? I have an old early 2008 MBP that isn't even a unibody model, and it runs mountain lion and I presume mavericks. Maybe you meant run it well?

Hmm, that's true, I guess it depends which style of MBP you have. I guess the general rule of thumb is if it can run ML it can probably run Mavericks, so I stand corrected.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I just saw on Anand Shimp's twitter that he believes the rMBP Haswell will use a ULT dual core Haswell. Perhaps something like this - http://ark.intel.com/products/75992/Intel-Core-i7-4558U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

If so, at a max TDP of 28w, performance should be good and battery life should be great. Fingers crossed.

Would make sense. That high end dual + 5100 would work to differentiate the platform, though only the 5200 has the 128MB eDRAM for the massive increase in memory bandwidth.

18% higher performance for the 5100 compared to the 5000, on paper.

Still, if they slim down the 13" rMBP slightly (as rumored) and make it a bit lighter then the fast dual + 5100 would be fine, since the battery life would be great and it would be fairly air-like.

Chris R

I just wish the rMBP specs/prices would release so I could decide between a 13" MBA or a 13"/15" rMBP to replace my MBA... Battery life is under an hour now if I'm watching video :(

Deku Tree

I just wish the rMBP specs/prices would release so I could decide between a 13" MBA or a 13"/15" rMBP to replace my MBA... Battery life is under an hour now if I'm watching video :(

You can get a new battery for your MBA, although you would have to be without it for a bit.

Deku Tree

Some early future 13" MBP Geekbench results appear

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/20...ro-benchmarked-with-modest-performance-gains/

this MacBook Pro appears under a code name of "AAPLJ44,1" and appears to correspond to a 13" MacBook Pro, and while it is not exactly clear whether it refers to a Retina or non-Retina model, the two machines would perform roughly equally when using the same processor. Apple has, however, been rumored to be phasing out the non-Retina models, and if true this result would seem to point to a new Haswell-based Retina MacBook Pro.

The machine shown in the benchmark results is running a dual-core Intel Core i5-4258U processor running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of RAM and a Boot ROM dated June 5. Like the Mac Pro, this MacBook Pro is running a special build of OS X Mavericks, termed Build 13A2050.

More at the link. This could also be a "low end" 13" option, with the optional possibility to upgrade to a better processor as usual.

Macka

I've decided that I want to get a 13" Retina Macbook Pro in the next few months. Is now a good time to buy one, though? Are there any indications of a price drop/new model coming reasonably soon?

jts

...hate me...
I've decided that I want to get a 13" Retina Macbook Pro in the next few months. Is now a good time to buy one, though? Are there any indications of a price drop/new model coming reasonably soon?
Read the immediate post before yours, but yes. Retina Macbook Pros updated with Haswell processors are expected to drop at anytime in the next couple of months.

The next rMBP 13" and the just updated MBA 13" will probably fight for my money. I just have to figure out what screen quality to weight to price ratio is the right compromise for me.

Excluding price, anyone has experience with these? How heavy is a rMBP compared to an MBA? (both 13") How bad is the MBA panel compared to a regular IPS panel? (forget retina)

If the MacBook Air has the Intel HD 5000 and the 13" MacBook Pro has the Iris 5100, does this mean the 15" will have only the Iris Pro 5200? Also what is the Mac mini going to have?

mrkgoo

So my new iMac arrived.

It looks like a small dead pixel, but it actually moves with parallax, so it might be a piece of dust behind the screen, or some imperfection in the lighting. It's next to impossible to see and it's at the very corner, so it's not a big deal.

Anyway, transfer is going smoothly.

Just a note - the new design is pretty eye catching but that means nothing sonce my 20" cinema display sits next to it, blocking the view of its thinness (and incidentally, the external monitor is heavier than the computer!).

On top of that, the design actually truly inhibits usability. Tall the ports are at the back and I cannot see where to plug things in! This is mostly not an issue, but I need to be able to get my lightning cable in and out, it's a pain.

Blackhead

Redarse
The next rMBP 13" and the just updated MBA 13" will probably fight for my money. I just have to figure out what screen quality to weight to price ratio is the right compromise for me.

Excluding price, anyone has experience with these? How heavy is a rMBP compared to an MBA? (both 13") How bad is the MBA panel compared to a regular IPS panel? (forget retina)
The weight difference is discernible when grabbing the laptop with your hands (say carrying it around the house) but not so noticeable in a bag.
The MBA display panel is noticeably poor and sticks out even more because almost all other devices (smartphones, tablets, monitors) have IPS panels these days. You'll occasionally have to tilt the screen for a better angle to view a picture/video.

TUSR

Banned
So my new iMac arrived.

It looks like a small dead pixel, but it actually moves with parallax, so it might be a piece of dust behind the screen, or some imperfection in the lighting. It's next to impossible to see and it's at the very corner, so it's not a big deal.

Anyway, transfer is going smoothly.

Just a note - the new design is pretty eye catching but that means nothing sonce my 20" cinema display sits next to it, blocking the view of its thinness (and incidentally, the external monitor is heavier than the computer!).

On top of that, the design actually truly inhibits usability. Tall the ports are at the back and I cannot see where to plug things in! This is mostly not an issue, but I need to be able to get my lightning cable in and out, it's a pain.

take it back

mrkgoo

take it back

Meh it's just a piece of dust. Could be in worse places and could be a worse 'defect'.

Returns are kind of annoying to deal with. We don't have apple stores here.

I'm willing to out up with it for less hassle. Any bigger problems or of it were on a more conspicuous place, yeah I probably would.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Meh it's just a piece of dust. Could be in worse places and could be a worse 'defect'.

I'm willing to out up with it for less hassle. Any bigger problems or of it were on a more conspicuous place, yeah I probably would.
If it is dust, they could probably fix it easily by taking the screen glass off in a dust-free environment (Do they have them at Apple Stores?) and removing it. Maybe. It's worth a shot. Even call them and see what they would do.

Deku Tree

If you spend that much money on a computer it should be 100% and no less out of the box. Count me as one more vote for "take it back." They should pay for return shipping both ways IMO.

TUSR

Banned
If it is dust, they could probably fix it easily by taking the screen glass off in a dust-free environment (Do they have them at Apple Stores?) and removing it. Maybe. It's worth a shot. Even call them and see what they would do.

The new lamination technique would probably prevent this.

mrkgoo

The new lamination technique would probably prevent this.
I'm betting on this. It's not a big deal. Maybe if Haskell gets released next week for iMacs I might call :p.

We have no apple stores here, so it's just annoying to not have a computer I need for weeks on end. Restoring also takes several days of work. (24 hours to rebuild aperture thumbnail library!).

I'd rather have a small spec of dust than dead pixels, which are much more noticeable.

It's like 1 inch from the bottom and 1/4 inch out from the right edge. It's so small, on certain angles you can't see t because its in between pixels.

Luthair

Hi guys, I was wondering if you can help me figure out what I should put into a new Imac. I only have 2000 bucks and I want the 27 inch model. There is sales tax here sadly so I have to keep that in mind. Any ideas of what is the most important upgrade to get? The 1tb Fusion Drive throws it over 2000 :-\

mrkgoo

Hi guys, I was wondering if you can help me figure out what I should put into a new Imac. I only have 2000 bucks and I want the 27 inch model. There is sales tax here sadly so I have to keep that in mind. Any ideas of what is the most important upgrade to get? The 1tb Fusion Drive throws it over 2000 :-
I just got a 21.5 " with just the one upgrade, fusion.

Hey guys, I just got the new macbook air 13" and was hoping you might be able to recommend to me a good case or even suggestions. I was hoping for a hardshell with a rubber lining. Thanks.

Fuchsdh

I just got a 21.5 " with just the one upgrade, fusion.

21.5's lack of expandability make it a dealbreaker for me. I don't hold on to computers for ages, but the option to up the RAM when it's feeling long in the tooth always appeals to me if I have to hold onto it longer for whatever reason (I recently bumped my pre-unibody 2008 MBP to 6GB RAM, since I'm still waiting for the Mac Pro replacement.)

Having a SSD is nice, but a fusion drive isn't going to be as fast as going pure SSD anyhow so I don't think it's as much of a loss as the RAM and better graphics card would be.

mrkgoo

21.5's lack of expandability make it a dealbreaker for me. I don't hold on to computers for ages, but the option to up the RAM when it's feeling long in the tooth always appeals to me if I have to hold onto it longer for whatever reason (I recently bumped my pre-unibody 2008 MBP to 6GB RAM, since I'm still waiting for the Mac Pro replacement.)

Having a SSD is nice, but a fusion drive isn't going to be as fast as going pure SSD anyhow so I don't think it's as much of a loss as the RAM and better graphics card would be.

Yeah, it's a semi dealbreaker for me too, but I'm broke and cannot afford a larger iMac. I had to go low-end and one upgrade. And I need the storage space. Would've loved to get a 27" with 3TB fusion! I know I can get external, but that will be my next step.

Damn. Still, take it back. I mean if it's there and you can tell it's there, take it back. See what they can do.

It's only just ever barely noticeable. I called them and they said I've got two weeks to issue a return, after which they send a courier out to pick it up, and reissue teh custom build model. That'll be at least a week. And then there's the couple days of retransferring everything. If new iMacs pop up within the next couple week,s I might consider it, but I kind of need a computer now.

Last time I did a return was my iPhone5, for two dead pixels, and it took over a month.

muddream

Banned
Personally, I'd get the $300 256GB Flash option with some form of external storage over the $250 128GB SSD upgrade called the Fusion Drive. Better value and I don't have to worry about the Fusion Drive slowing down over time.

TUSR

Banned
Personally, I'd get the $300 256GB Flash option with some form of external storage over the $250 128GB SSD upgrade called the Fusion Drive. Better value and I don't have to worry about the Fusion Drive slowing down over time.

Pick up a 1-2TB bus powered USB3 drive if you want to run games and other shit off it.

mrkgoo

Oh man, does that happen? I had no idea. It seemed during the order that $400 (NZ) vs $480 for 256 GB was a decent enough tradeoff considering I wanted storage and cost (and SOME speed beyond 5400 rpm).

I did consider getting a Macbook Air, but I feel since photo editing is my main use, that I would get a bit more out of a dedicated GPU and a nice display.

Top Bottom