• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

muddream

Banned
Oh man, does that happen? I had no idea. It seemed during the order that $400 (NZ) vs $480 for 256 GB was a decent enough tradeoff considering I wanted storage and cost (and SOME speed beyond 5400 rpm).

I did consider getting a Macbook Air, but I feel since photo editing is my main use, that I would get a bit more out of a dedicated GPU and a nice display.

Anand: Depends on whether you frequently use more than 128GB.

I'm not into photo editing, so I have no clue how much data you're working with. For me, Fusion Drive would likely be enough as I only regularly use Office and SPSS besides browsing and iTunes...I'd still get the SSD out of spite because the Fusion Drive embodies Apple's price gouging. Since you're already dealing with dust in your screen, I'd consider returning it and getting the SSD iMac if you're unsure about the Fusion Drive's cache being sufficient.

mrkgoo

Anand: Depends on whether you frequently use more than 128GB.

I'm not into photo editing, so I have no clue how much data you're working with. For me, Fusion Drive would likely be enough as I only regularly use Office and SPSS besides browsing and iTunes...I'd still get the SSD out of spite because the Fusion Drive embodies Apple's price gouging. Since you're already dealing with dust in your screen, I'd consider returning it and getting the SSD iMac if you're unsure about the Fusion Drive's cache being sufficient.

Yeah I read that article before I purchased. I thought I'd try it out. Most of my general usage is obviously just web browsing and mail, but I enjoy the whole ecosystem of Calendar, Reminders, iTunes, etc. I'm not sure how a 500GB Aperture Library fits into all that, but I was hoping the library files and so on would be used often enough they'd be tiered to the SSD.

I still don't know yet, seeing as it takes me upwards of 40 hours to get up and running.

I'd still like to avoid a multiple volume solution and don't really want to manage stuff myself where possible. That's why I thought I'd like the fusion drive.

The dust isn't really bothering me - it's tucked far away enough and can only be seen on certain angles since it's small enough to actually be in between pixels at those angles. I'm probably more 'concerned' because people are telling me I should be, lol.

I think I made the right choice based on my circumstances. I still need to really play with my setup. Apple gives me two weeks, but unless something major crops up, I'll probably stick with this.

ngower

I got my new MBA today. Everything is pretty chill so far, but I've noticed my menu bar is disappearing with regularity. Not like in the middle of use, but if I log in, for example, it's not there until I click somewhere on the screen. Anyone else having these problems? I'm imagining it's a software/hardware bug that'll be fixed soon, but just wanting to know what people think?

[EDIT] I should clarify, this isn't like when it's in full screen mode.

mkenyon

Banned
So how is the iPad Mini with games nowadays?

Got an iTouch (that's what I call it) 5th gen, and checking out the app store had me drooling over some titles that I don't find appropriate on a 4" screen.

Backstory, my tablet experience went iPad 2 -> Transformer Prime -> Nexus 7. My main phone is a Galaxy Note (1st gen). I don't really like 10" tablets, I find them way too bulky. But, I am concerned that the aging iPad 2 hardware inside of the mini won't hold up to new games.

Theoretically, I'd grab an iPad Mini and then upgraydde to the Mini 2 upon release. Sound plan?

kennah

So how is the iPad Mini with games nowadays?

Got an iTouch (that's what I call it) 5th gen, and checking out the app store had me drooling over some titles that I don't find appropriate on a 4" screen.

Backstory, my tablet experience went iPad 2 -> Transformer Prime -> Nexus 7. My main phone is a Galaxy Note (1st gen). I don't really like 10" tablets, I find them way too bulky. But, I am concerned that the aging iPad 2 hardware inside of the mini won't hold up to new games.

Theoretically, I'd grab an iPad Mini and then upgraydde to the Mini 2 upon release. Sound plan?

You sicken me.

Mini is literally the same internals and screen resolution as the iPad 2, so it would perform exactly the same as it did. Most things run ok because of the lower resolution. I'd wait at this point for whatever is coming next.

Ragus

Banned
I'm selling my white '09 macbook to a friend. I want to delete everything from it and basically make it a "new" macbook. Is this the quickest and easiest way?

1. Reboot into OS X Recovery - hold down Command-R during startup
2. Use Disk Utility to do a seven pass erase or whatever level of wiping you prefer.
3. Quit Disk Utility to go back to the main Recovery menu
4. Reinstall your OS on the cleanly wiped drive from the main menu
5. Power off the Mac once the OS has been installed so that the buyer gets that "Welcome to the Mac" experience but no chance to recover your files or data

I have a question about 4th step. Do I need to have Mountain Lion on CD/USB? Or can I just download it after step 3?

I do have Mountain Lion on my MB, btw.

Deku Tree

I'm selling my white '09 macbook to a friend. I want to delete everything from it and basically make it a "new" macbook. Is this the quickest and easiest way?

I have a question about 4th step. Do I need to have Mountain Lion on CD/USB? Or can I just download it after step 3?

I do have Mountain Lion on my MB, btw.

Not 100% sure.

But if you own a copy of ML in the App Store then you can download it. If you don't own a copy, then you probably can not download it. Just buying a computer with ML installed does not entitle you to owning a copy in the App Store. Either way ML is pretty cheap.

Although I thought that the recovery partition enables you to recover things completely so I a not sure...

Ragus

Banned
It's quite an old piece of tech, so naturally Mountain Lion wasn't preinstalled on it ;p. Of course, I bought it on App Store. I just don't have a usb drive/DVD next to me right now.

I'm not sure how a 500GB Aperture Library fits into all that, but I was hoping the library files and so on would be used often enough they'd be tiered to the SSD.

Because Fusion Drive works at the block level, your most often hit files in Aperture will be on the SSD and stuff you haven't looked at in a while will be offloaded to the HDD.

Fuchsdh

I'd love for a "pro" version of Fusion Drive where you could choose which files and folders you wanted to always been on SSD (for me, my docs folder, apps and music).

I'm guessing solid state storage is going to get so cheap soon though I won't have much time to benefit from that system. I imagine it's still going to be as long as a decade before we leave behind hard drives in my profession though. 4K RAW video can eat up space like nothing else.

mkenyon

Banned
You sicken me.

Mini is literally the same internals and screen resolution as the iPad 2, so it would perform exactly the same as it did. Most things run ok because of the lower resolution. I'd wait at this point for whatever is coming next.
But I want it now.

sharbhund

It's quite an old piece of tech, so naturally Mountain Lion wasn't preinstalled on it ;p. Of course, I bought it on App Store. I just don't have a usb drive/DVD next to me right now.

You'll be able to redownload and install it from Recovery Mode.

Tigel

So I went to an Apple Store to ask questions about the new Macbook Air 13'm and they told me that,
- I shouldn't expect to be able to run Lightroom and Photoshop on it
- it'll overheat if I do
- the new processor in the 2013 version is not as performant as the one in the older models to be able to have a better battery life

I mentionned that I was planning to order the 8GB of ram version.
I'm kinda confused, is the information he gave me accurate? I've read in various forum of people running Lightroom just fine on older MBA model. I taught that with the new CPU/faster memory it should run even better on the MBA 2013?

Aroo

Neo Member
So I went to an Apple Store to ask questions about the new Macbook Air 13'm and they told me that,
- I shouldn't expect to be able to run Lightroom and Photoshop on it
- it'll overheat if I do
- the new processor in the 2013 version is not as performant as the one in the older models to be able to have a better battery life

I mentionned that I was planning to order the 8GB of ram version.
I'm kinda confused, is the information he gave me accurate? I've read in various forum of people running Lightroom just fine on older MBA model. I taught that with the new CPU/faster memory it should run even better on the MBA 2013?

When someone tells you information like that from the Apple store you should follow up with "according to who and if they work here I want names."

MBA's when stressed will get hot just like other notebooks. You can run Light Room and Photoshop on them. Curiously, why are they saying it's slower? The base clock speed is lower but turbo is the same. With the improvements in performance the CPU is about the same or more. In addition, the SSD is faster on these models. This is based on the specs of the SSD and test from Anandtech.

I run Intel NUCs with similar CPU's but IB based. Run them 24/7 and the get warm. I wouldn't even say MBA's get hot but they do get warm when stressed.

So I want to upgrade my MacBook Pro (mid 2010) to an Air. I was psyched about refreshes thinking try we're going to get retina, but was let down. Is retina really worth it to wait another year or shoud I sell this computer now and get more to flip towards te new Air?

fireside

Hot tip: Put an SSD and a HDD in a Mac and don't make them a Fusion Drive.

I think Fuchsdh wants the automagicness of the Fusion Drive for most files, but have some always stay on the SSD, no matter what. Having the SSD and HD separate will require you to manually manage stuff, and who wants to do that?

BodySystem Lars

Neo Member
Just bought the new MacBook Rentina, after being a PC user. Still adjusting but finding it quick and intuitive! Just wondering if there are any notable Apps worth on installing, anything interesting, usefull or fun?

I'm mainly gonna use it for school though, so also looking for any good CAD software. Preferable free.( I used to use DEV Bloodshed). I installed sketchup but it's not as exact and precise as a real CAD Program.

muddream

Banned
So I want to upgrade my MacBook Pro (mid 2010) to an Air. I was psyched about refreshes thinking try we're going to get retina, but was let down. Is retina really worth it to wait another year or shoud I sell this computer now and get more to flip towards te new Air?

What makes you think next year's model will be retina?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What makes you think next year's model will be retina?
The only evidence we can really go in is the fact that other PC makers are starting to come out with retina-style HiDPI Ultrabooks now. It's only a matter of time. Plus Mavericks and Haswell being better on batterylife...

Apple's best interest will be to keep a cheaper model around, which is the Air, and a more powerful Pro model which is the Pro and Retina Pro's. Eventually the normal Pro will disappear once they are confident enough it can replace a model that has an optical drive. It'll happen. The question is when. I mean right now the ONLY Mac's that still have optical drives built-in are the normal leftover non-Retina Pro's. (Once the new Mac Pro comes out) Once those are dropped the optical drive will be dead on the Mac side. (Not counting the external drive, which I believe still only works out of the box with an Air) Just like the floppy drive and serial ports before it.

So at some point soon Apple will be down to two MacBook types. The Air and the Pro. And all of them will be Retina. But the Air will probably take longer until they're confident they can keep the price low and battery high enough. I mean they literally just released a new Air boasting 12 hour battery. A Retina display would cut that down again.

muddream

Banned
The only evidence we can really go in is the fact that other PC makers are starting to come out with retina-style HiDPI Ultrabooks now. It's only a matter of time. Plus Mavericks and Haswell being better on batterylife...

Apple's best interest will be to keep a cheaper model around, which is the Air, and a more powerful Pro model which is the Pro and Retina Pro's. Eventually the normal Pro will disappear once they are confident enough it can replace a model that has an optical drive. It'll happen. The question is when. I mean right now the ONLY Mac's that still have optical drives built-in are the normal leftover non-Retina Pro's. (Once the new Mac Pro comes out) Once those are dropped the optical drive will be dead on the Mac side. (Not counting the external drive, which I believe still only works out of the box with an Air) Just like the floppy drive and serial ports before it.

So at some point soon Apple will be down to two MacBook types. The Air and the Pro. And all of them will be Retina. But the Air will probably take longer until they're confident they can keep the price low and battery high enough. I mean they literally just released a new Air boasting 12 hour battery. A Retina display would cut that down again.

Exactly, but I wouldn't forgo buying a laptop this year based on the idea that next year's model will surely have a retina display. Last year lots of people were sure the Air would get the retina upgrade this year.

Exactly, but I wouldn't forgo buying a laptop this year based on the idea that next year's model will surely have a retina display. Last year lots of people were sure the Air would get the retina upgrade this year.

Which is why I'm sure next year will have it instead. Is retina screen all that its cracked up to be?

muddream

Banned
Which is why I'm sure next year will have it instead. Is retina screen all that its cracked up to be?

Visit an Apple reseller and see for yourself.

You may or may not notice slight UI lag which persists even in 2.5+ GHz machines. Surely you've considered this in your wise prediction concerning a 1.3 GHz machine.

Fuchsdh

Am I the only person who hates retina graphics? I feel like we should be pushing vector graphics now. It's 2013, we have computers that can handle the power.

mrkgoo

Because Fusion Drive works at the block level, your most often hit files in Aperture will be on the SSD and stuff you haven't looked at in a while will be offloaded to the HDD.

Yeah, I knew it worked at the block level so I was hoping it would break up the data and shift it to the ssd, like my library file etc.

As I understand its a tiered solution, rather than caching, although if you have more than 128 GB frequent use data, it sort of becomes a caching solution as about 4gb on the ssd is set aside for shifting. At least that's how I imagine it works.

So far my mac has been sweet. It seems pretty snappy - most apps load with just one bounce.

Love the Magic Trackpad. Also have a wireless Mighty Mouse (which I have always liked), and having both there is awesome. I just reach forward and grab which ever. I also have my Cinema Display connected (The old one), and that is sweet. Don't use full screen as much at the moment because two desktops seem way more useful. Can't wait for mavericks.

on computers with only one HDD enclosure that's not an option.

So the same Macs that can't have a Fusion Drive?

I'm kinda confused, is the information he gave me accurate?

No, what an asshole.

Photoshop isn't a demanding program; it'll use whatever is available for some things, but look at the system requirements.

Lightroom will be fine. It runs better on the same hardware than Aperture, which runs on the Airs— Aperture is even be on the Airs in the Apple Store.

Having the SSD and HD separate will require you to manually manage stuff, and who wants to do that?

It's not at all arduous once you've set it up, especially if you move your home folder over to the HDD.

disks_20130622.png

Under Fusion, files that get used often will be on the SSD already. I can see the appeal of wanting to flag things as high priority, but I think some would micromanage it to its detriment.

I have three Macs in my house: one with split SSD/HDDs (see screenshot), one with only an SSD, and one with a Fusion Drive. The Fusion Drive really is quick.

As I understand its a tiered solution, rather than caching, although if you have more than 128 GB frequent use data, it sort of becomes a caching solution as about 4gb on the ssd is set aside for shifting.

It'll be your 128 GB of most frequently used data. Aperture isn't going to load more than it needs to, so it's likely only your most recent shoots as you ingest, select, edit and export them.

Am I the only person who hates retina graphics? I feel like we should be pushing vector graphics now. It's 2013, we have computers that can handle the power.

Apple had been moving in that direction since 10.4 until they said fuck it and shipped Retina on iOS devices and then Macs. John Sircusa has talked about it a lot in his Ars articles over the years.

Aroo

Neo Member

Lets be realistic here. You are the only person that can answer that. Go to the Apple Store and play with an MBPr 13 then the MPA 13.

It's not personally worth it for me in the MBA 13 since I value the screen real estate over pixel density (within reason obviously.) Personally from what I've noticed the MPA 13 doesn't need it nor do I think it ever should "need it."

On the MBA it's a want not a need. You should go to the Apple Store and see if you really "want a retina display." Nothing to it.

fireside

So the same Macs that can't have a Fusion Drive?

You can set up a Fusion Drive with an external drive ;-)

It's not at all arduous once you've set it up, especially if you move your home folder over to the HDD.

I know manually managing things isn’t a big deal—I do it myself. It was a joke, because to me, the appeal of the Fusion Drive is that you no longer have to manually manage anything. I personally wouldn’t want my home folder on the HDD, most of my commonly used folders and files are in there, and I’d want to be able to take advantage of the SSD when accessing them. But there’s also a lot of stuff that shouldn’t go on the SSD, like music or movies. I think the Fusion is the best of both worlds in this case.

I understand Fuchsdh’s desire for more fine-tune control, but I think at some point people need to realize that what Apple offers isn’t going to give you that. I’m sort of reminded by the complaints people have of iTunes and how it doesn’t let you sort the music folder yourself.

near

Gold Member
Guys I really need some help. My HDD has been making a really loud weird revving noise, when I say it's loud I mean its really really loud. I just had the HDD replaced this week, with a brand new 500GB HDD via the Apple store. Its under warranty but they tried to claim that it is normal, I'm certain it isn't. Yet replacing the HDD has done nothing. I've been back and forth to the Apple store, and the genius' really aren't genius' with some of the replies they've tried to fool me with. Doing a fair bit of research I've found that a lot of people have complained about the noise before, but I'm not sure if everyone else is on the same page as me. At first I thought it was the fan, but it's definitely not as it's coming for directly beneath the HDD area. I'm a Mac newbie, this is my first Macbook experience, so I'm still on that learning curve, but this experience has left me with a lot of doubt. I've recorded the sound and uploaded it if you want to listen to what I have to deal with. I've been left with no choice but to ask GAF for advice. Help me please! :(

It's the early 2011 model, i5, 4GB, OSX 10.8.4

http://soundcloud.com/browinie/weird-machdd-noise/s-y2C08

Tigel

When someone tells you information like that from the Apple store you should follow up with "according to who and if they work here I want names."

MBA's when stressed will get hot just like other notebooks. You can run Light Room and Photoshop on them. Curiously, why are they saying it's slower? The base clock speed is lower but turbo is the same. With the improvements in performance the CPU is about the same or more. In addition, the SSD is faster on these models. This is based on the specs of the SSD and test from Anandtech.

I run Intel NUCs with similar CPU's but IB based. Run them 24/7 and the get warm. I wouldn't even say MBA's get hot but they do get warm when stressed.

No, what an asshole.

Photoshop isn't a demanding program; it'll use whatever is available for some things, but look at the system requirements.

Lightroom will be fine. It runs better on the same hardware than Aperture, which runs on the Airs— Aperture is even be on the Airs in the Apple Store.

Maybe he was trying to sell me a Macbook Pro? Anyway, thanks guys. As soon as the back to school promotion starts, I'll pull the trigger and buy the new MBA.

mrkgoo

Maybe he was trying to sell me a Macbook Pro? Anyway, thanks guys. As soon as the back to school promotion starts, I'll pull the trigger and buy the new MBA.
Perhaps there was no malice in it. There has been the stigma of ultra books that they are lightweight computers not just physically but in processor power. Sort of like people seeing them as net books, especially as the original airs came out as sort of an answer to net books.

Man, Steve jobs was right - look where net books are now and what market is popular!

Anyway, maybe t was true that they were less capable machines before as we'll, but not today. They're more or less the same as any other laptop.

Also aperture wouldn't seem to be such a power hungry app anyway for basic usage. It might struggle with super high res RAW, or processing a large library using faces, especially with slow storage, but I ran it on an old core2duo before unibody and it was mostly ok.

Laekon

Is there any way to figure out if the processor or ram upgrade is worth it on the new Air's? For work I mainly use email, chrome, excel, and PowerPoint so I'm not a power user. I do use Illustrator and Photoshop but its only to view file, make small edits, and file setting changes. All the images are 2d design renderings of apparel so again nothing that I think should be to taxing. I use a 23" external monitor in a dual set up with my laptop as the main screen at work.

My work computer right now is a Lenovo T430 with an i5 2.6, 16gb ram, and a 256 ssd. The thing never gets slightly warm so I know I'm not pushing the processor. I like the keyboard, battery life(extended battery), and the 1600x900 resolution. I hate the track pad, screen quality, weight, and Lenovo crap ware. I travel at least 3 months out the year internationally so the weight, having to bring a mouse, and Lenovo software bugs are things I could do without.

Deku Tree

You can set up a Fusion Drive with an external drive ;-)

So what happens if you set up a Fusion Drive in the terminal with an internal SSD and an external USB HDD like on a rMBP?

Then can you use your computer properly if you unplug the USB HDD? Will it still boot?

Fuchsdh

Apple had been moving in that direction since 10.4 until they said fuck it and shipped Retina on iOS devices and then Macs. John Sircusa has talked about it a lot in his Ars articles over the years.

Siracusa's been talking about it for more than a decade, now--I was rereading his OS X DP4 preview recently and he's ranting about how vector graphics and Quartz were going to change everything... and here we are, still. Ugh.

At least the screenshots were nice for nostalgia. I really loved the pinstripes, myself. Dream OS would probably have 10.3 pinstripes, 10.4 unified toolbars, and the more 3D Aqua pre 10.7 but combined with the less rounded rectangles of 10.7/8. Also 10.4 had the nicest default wallpaper, too.

VPhys

I've been using my ipad 4th gen less and less lately. In fact aside from traveling I probably break out the ipad about once a week, maybe for 5 minutes to read a quick article or an email.

I'm thinking of swapping out the ipad with a Macbook air 11", to compliment my 15" retina. It'll be much more functional and the battery life is now just as good as an ipad. I will miss the retina display for sure, but when I'm using the ipad 5 minutes a week exactly how much enjoyment and I getting out of that display.

Has anyone gone the dual laptop route?

Laekon

I've been using my ipad 4th gen less and less lately. In fact aside from traveling I probably break out the ipad about once a week, maybe for 5 minutes to read a quick article or an email.

I'm thinking of swapping out the ipad with a Macbook air 11", to compliment my 15" retina. It'll be much more functional and the battery life is now just as good as an ipad. I will miss the retina display for sure, but when I'm using the ipad 5 minutes a week exactly how much enjoyment and I getting out of that display.

Has anyone gone the dual laptop route?

Are you using the Pro for all your web surfing/emails? I don't see what a second lap top will do for you if that is the case.

Personally the iPad has replaced my home computer 90% of the time.

VPhys

Are you using the Pro for all your web surfing/emails?

Pretty much yes. I take it to work and when I'm home the pro goes on the coffee table most of the time.

The only thing I find cumbersome about the pro is that when I need to watch a movie off an external hard drive, I have to attach the pro to the TV and it takes up a lot of space there. If the Ipad had an HDMI out and usb input it would solve this problem.

Also, the pro is too large to take on an airplane, use on my lap in the passenger seat of a car, or for a quick weekend getaway.

Lets be realistic here. You are the only person that can answer that. Go to the Apple Store and play with an MBPr 13 then the MPA 13.

It's not personally worth it for me in the MBA 13 since I value the screen real estate over pixel density (within reason obviously.) Personally from what I've noticed the MPA 13 doesn't need it nor do I think it ever should "need it."

On the MBA it's a want not a need. You should go to the Apple Store and see if you really "want a retina display." Nothing to it.

Played around with them today and yeah the Retina really is noticeably a better display. Especially with that black bezel... why the hell does Apple not have that standard on all laptops? The $1,500 entry price though is a pain in the ass though... are we thinking that pretty soon here the non-retina Macbook Pro's are going to be dropped in the near future? I'm hoping that's the case.

Also can anyone tell me for Airport Extreme... I'm moving to a new apartment and have to change internet providers. Rather than get a monthly rent fee on their routers could I just buy an Airport Extreme and use that as my router for my apartment or is that now how that thing works??

I went to a store to use the 13" retina pro.
I opened itunes, TheVerge.com, Tested.com and ran a youtube video, this thread, this site , and the Huffington Post.

Once all the gifs and video loaded they ran fine individually, but once I tried scrolling down the page it chugged pretty bad.
I was reasonably impressed since I rarely have that much shit running at once, but my windows laptop with a 650m does it without a sweat.

I went to a store to use the 13" retina pro.
I opened itunes, TheVerge.com, Tested.com and ran a youtube video, this thread, this site , and the Huffington Post.

Once all the gifs and video loaded they ran fine individually, but once I tried scrolling down the page it chugged pretty bad.
I was reasonably impressed since I rarely have that much shit running at once, but my windows laptop with a 650m does it without a sweat.
Yeah whenever the rMBP line gets updated and gets Haswell that should help. But the 15" with its discrete GPU will always be better.

Top Bottom