• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I hope this is true. If there is no dedicated GPU in it, it will need all the power it can get.
Yeah, the lack of a Discrete GPU in the Pro would make me reconsider a 13" RPro again. As long as the 13" gets the same chip as the 15". Though a quad core would make me consider the 15" again but the 15" and 13" having the same non-discrete GPU would make me save a lot of money. So I kinda want it to happen, but also I don't.

Saving money would be really really nice. And I would prefer the 13". But a discrete GPU in the 15" would make me get a 15". And that's money I could put elsewhere like a 512GB SSD.

Damn I wish they'd announce these things already. If they really do wait until October... *sigh*

tsumineko

Yeah, the lack of a Discrete GPU in the Pro would make me reconsider a 13" RPro again. As long as the 13" gets the same chip as the 15". Though a quad core would make me consider the 15" again but the 15" and 13" having the same non-discrete GPU would make me save a lot of money. So I kinda want it to happen, but also I don't.

Saving money would be really really nice. And I would prefer the 13". But a discrete GPU in the 15" would make me get a 15". And that's money I could put elsewhere like a 512GB SSD.

Damn I wish they'd announce these things already. If they really do wait until October... *sigh*

Tell me about it, I'm so impatient! I'm excited to see the new hardware. I'll be buying *something*, looking forward to see what that something is. I'm excited to get into OSX for the first time.

I am looking forward to buying a new Mac mini if not this year than definitely next. I am hoping the $599 model comes with at least a BTO option for an SSD.

Chris R

The thing I love about this review:

Yes, normal people have $1100 to drop on a laptop. :(

They should. Low end laptops shouldn't exist. If you want a consumption device get a tablet instead of those crappy sub $600 laptops. $1k isn't that much money to spend on a QUALITY machine that will last for multiple years instead of falling apart and becoming nigh unusable after 2 years.

It sucks working with people who think that their terrible purchase should last them 5+ years. I'm sorry your vista crap machine can't stream YouTube in HD, buy a better laptop next time and take care of it.

mrkgoo

So my Seagate HD 'improperly ejected' again, even on a hub.

I'm wondering if it's the drive, my hardware, or Mac OS X.

I still have a hunch it's the specific drive has a sleep function that can't be disabled, and confuses the computer when it kicks in. Seagate seem to specifically make drives for Macs that don't do this, but charge more for them.

Looking in console logs, it seems ti happen during some maintenance wakes, so I'm going to try and turn off 'wake for network access'.

It's odd - when it happens, the sleep state goes a bit wonky and the computer doesn't resleep. Also, it creates a sleep image at the time of wakeup (iMacs don't typically use the sleep image, I believe), and the drive DOES actually remount (leading me to believe that it's the speed of the hardware wakeup that confuses the Mac). Also, I get some large swap files when it reconnects, maybe someethign to do with the rejournaling process.

Ephemeris

So my Seagate HD 'improperly ejected' again, even on a hub.

I'm wondering if it's the drive, my hardware, or Mac OS X.

In regards to the computer, OS or drive.. I'd make a new partition, install OS X to that bad boy and see how it operates then.

Also, this is the part of the conversation where I ask you if the drive does the same on another Mac, or if you have a store nearby, make an appointment and get a free hardware diagnostic. :D

jts

...hate me...
Shit FUCK. My MBP slowed down and froze out of nowhere, now it doesn't boot. Shows that forbidden sign.

I'm scared. Custom FusionDrive means this will be a bitch. No recent backup made. I'm so dumb.

Hold me GAF.

iNancy

Neo Member
I just made my first purchase on the mac mini (late 2012) version. Anyone think I should of waited on the 2013 version? Anyone know a good estimated guess on that release?

I just made my first purchase on the mac mini (late 2012) version. Anyone think I should of waited on the 2013 version? Anyone know a good estimated guess on that release?

September or October. As for if you should have waited... if you need it now, buy it now. If not, return it and buy it later.

mrkgoo

In regards to the computer, OS or drive.. I'd make a new partition, install OS X to that bad boy and see how it operates then.

Also, this is the part of the conversation where I ask you if the drive does the same on another Mac, or if you have a store nearby, make an appointment and get a free hardware diagnostic. :D
The drive did it once on another mac. Bit it died before it happened again. No other external drive did it on my old mac.

I haven't had my new mac long enough with other externals to see yet. I think it's the seagate. Another model seagate drive had similar issues, but seagate just drivers that disable the sleep or otherwise says "those drives aren't supported on macs".

We don't have apple stores here.

I'm still leaning towards that particular drive but I need a longer time line to really see.

Gorgon

OK, I decided to go for the new MacBook Air instead of waiting for the new MacBook Pro 13''. I need a new computer ASAP and I'm asking a friend of mine to pick one up in the US to bring over to Europe (It's far cheaper over there when you convert to euros).

I have a few questions that I'd like to ask you guys/gals. My friend will be in New York for two days which is when she plans to buy it. I'm going for the base model with 256GB of flash storage with upgraded processor and RAM.

1) do Apple stores ususally carry various combinations of base and upgraded models? If not, how long do they take to have a new config in store when you order it?

2) do you guys/gals think that can I send an email to a store now so that they get it in stock so that my friend can pick it up when she gets there?

3) are the prices the same as in the webstore or are there something like state taxes that are added on top pf the webstore price? How much is that in New York?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Deku Tree

OK, I decided to go for the new MacBook Air instead of waiting for the new MacBook Pro 13''. I need a new computer ASAP and I'm asking a friend of mine to pick one up in the US to bring over to Europe (It's far cheaper over there when you convert to euros).

I have a few questions that I'd like to ask you guys/gals. My friend will be in New York for two days which is when she plans to buy it. I'm going for the base model with 256GB of flash storage with upgraded processor and RAM.

1) do Apple stores ususally carry various combinations of base and upgraded models? If not, how long do they take to have a new config in store when you order it?

2) do you guys/gals think that can I send an email to a store now so that they get it in stock so that my friend can pick it up when she gets there?

3) are the prices the same as in the webstore or are there something like state taxes that are added on top pf the webstore price? How much is that in New York?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1) No. Custom configurations are usually made to order.

2) You can order one now, and it will probably be available to pick up in under two weeks. But they should give you a delivery estimate during the order process on their web page. I don't believe you can just "call them" and ask them to have one in stock waiting for you without paying for it.

3) Taxes are always added. You can figure out what the taxes will be by placing a web order for delivery or pickup in NY.

Gorgon

1) No. Custom configurations are usually made to order.

2) You can order one now, and it will probably be available to pick up in under two weeks. But they should give you a delivery estimate during the order process on their web page. I don't believe you can just "call them" and ask them to have one in stock waiting for you without paying for it.

3) Taxes are always added. You can figure out what the taxes will be by placing a web order for delivery or pickup in NY.

Thank you for the info. So I need to order from the NY store's own webpage (I'll have to search for that) and pay right away when I make the order, right? Or can my friend pay on pickup?

Any store you recomend in New York? What's the most "central" one for someone travelling there for two days?

Deku Tree

Thank you for the info. So I need to order from the NY store's own webpage (I'll have to search for that) and pay right away when I make the order, right? Or can my friend pay on pickup?

Any store you recomend in New York? What's the most "central" one for someone travelling there for two days?

No you order from Apples web page. You can have it shipped to your friends house. You may need to use a USA credit card. But maybe not. I am not sure. I never did in-store pickup so I don't know how that works. Also I don't know what is the best store for you, that seems to be a personal question based upon your friends location. Ask him.

Appleman

I really hope Mavericks & Iris 5100 will be enough for smooth retina scrolling...I tend to view the 15" as overkill for a laptop, but I need one this fall and I'd rather spend $500 more than buy a slightly less expensive premium product with a shameful flaw.

Am I the only one with a retina MBP right now that has zero scrolling issues? This issue seems to be way overblown

Gorgon

No you order from Apples web page. You can have it shipped to your friends house. You may need to use a USA credit card. But maybe not. I am not sure. I never did in-store pickup so I don't know how that works. Also I don't know what is the best store for you, that seems to be a personal question based upon your friends location. Ask him.

My friend is travelling to the US and will be in NY for 2 days, that's why I asked for the most "central" store that would make it easier to pick up the computer. I've checked the site, I know now how to to it, thanks. Hopefully any VISA card will do.

Preferably it can be paid at pick up. Does anyone know if that's the case?

Baconbitz

Banned
Anyone interested in 2x2gb iMac mid 2011 ram from crucial? I bought this before I went on vacation. Installed, when I got back, then realized it was 2 GB, and not 4. Then, I promptly uninstalled them. I'm willing to let go of them for 5 off the selling price, which was 41.99. So, 36.99? They're DDR3L - 1333 8DDIMM, if anyone is interested.

Fuchsdh

Anyone interested in 2x2gb iMac mid 2011 ram from crucial? I bought this before I went on vacation. Installed, when I got back, then realized it was 2 GB, and not 4. Then, I promptly uninstalled them. I'm willing to let go of them for 5 off the selling price, which was 41.99. So, 36.99? They're DDR3L - 1333 8DDIMM, if anyone is interested.

On that note, I've got a leftover 2GB stock RAM module from my 2008 MBP (200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM) from when I bumped my comp to 6GB--should work on any pre-unibody Macbook Pro. It's yours for the price of shipping.

My friend is travelling to the US and will be in NY for 2 days, that's why I asked for the most "central" store that would make it easier to pick up the computer. I've checked the site, I know now how to to it, thanks. Hopefully any VISA card will do.

Preferably it can be paid at pick up. Does anyone know if that's the case?

No they require payment before "making" it.

Baconbitz

Banned
On that note, I've got a leftover 2GB stock RAM module from my 2008 MBP (200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM) from when I bumped my comp to 6GB--should work on any pre-unibody Macbook Pro. It's yours for the price of shipping.
I'd take it but, I don't know if it works on a iMac and, I need 16 gigabytes.

Servbot24

Banned
My iMac has a 1TB drive that is almost full. I'm not sure that I want to trust hosting a bunch of data on an external. Also not sure I trust myself to upgrade the internal on my own. Should have bought a 2TB HD to begin with, lol. Anyhow, what is likely the best solution to this issue?

gokieks

My iMac has a 1TB drive that is almost full. I'm not sure that I want to trust hosting a bunch of data on an external. Also not sure I trust myself to upgrade the internal on my own. Should have bought a 2TB HD to begin with, lol. Anyhow, what is likely the best solution to this issue?

Probably getting some sort of a DAS/NAS unit. I personally don't care for them because their performance just aren't good enough to justify the price, but Drobos are very easy to set up (and there are other options as well).

Fuchsdh

Probably getting some sort of a DAS/NAS unit. I personally don't care for them because their performance just aren't good enough to justify the price, but Drobos are very easy to set up (and there are other options as well).

I will say from my experience with Drobos at my work they are regularly pretty horrible (not all Drobos will show up in their Dashboard; upgrading the software may in fact make more of them disappear, etc.) and very slow for any sort of video work (the 5N's SSD cache hasn't made a discernible difference to me.) It's the only NAS I have any familiarity with, though. Has anyone tried the Lacie NAS options? Speed seems to leave something to be desired...

I just got a Synology 2 bay NAS (the DS213j), and I love it. There is an almost overwhelming amount of things you can do with it.

gokieks

I will say from my experience with Drobos at my work they are regularly pretty horrible (not all Drobos will show up in their Dashboard; upgrading the software may in fact make more of them disappear, etc.) and very slow for any sort of video work (the 5N's SSD cache hasn't made a discernible difference to me.) It's the only NAS I have any familiarity with, though. Has anyone tried the Lacie NAS options? Speed seems to leave something to be desired...

Drobos are pretty well known to have performance issues. Other than that though almost everyone I know who uses them think they're great. Most use it with Windows, but I was under the impression that it worked well with OS X too.

I personally went with building a fileserver running ZFS RAID-Z off FreeBSD (now Ubuntu), but that's rather more involved, and it has its own share of issues with Mac OS X (getting NFS mounts to work was a giant pain in the ass, and SMB performance with a Mac OS X client was terrible).

kennah

I basically only use my Drobo on my Airport Extreme for Time Machine and long term file storage/backup. It streams ok if something doesn't have too high a bit rate. But yeah. Wouldn't want to use it for working off of. Even on Firewire it is pretty slow.

For the backup stuff though it is pretty great.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this is a bit of a silly question that's probably been asked a lot, but what's the general consensus on the value of upgrading to the i7 on a 13" Air? I mean in terms of price versus actual performance improvement.

Need to clean the palm rest and keyboard on my Air. I have an alcohol glass cleaner mainly meant for cleaning glasses n such. Any reason why I shouldn't use them?

Giggzy

I can use your folks wisdom.

I'm very close to trading my gaming pc I put together last year for a mint condition Macbook Pro late 2011 model. The reason for the trade is mainly because I really need portability for school and travel, and I don't even game on the PC anymore. Any gaming I do is on the PS3 and soon to be PS4.

With that said, I'm getting a little cold feet about it. The PC feels like my baby because of the work I've put into it. So I have a few questions that will ease my worry;

1) How long can I expect it to last before needing to be replaced?

2) It's an i5 with 4gb of ram and 500gb hard drive. From what I've read this model can be upgraded. Will upgrading the ram to 8gb and installing a SSD make it last much longer without needing to drop money to upgrade?

3) I'd like it to last a minimum of 2-3 years without significant slowdown. Does that seem feasible?

Thanks!

mrkgoo

I'm very close to trading my gaming pc I put together last year for a mint condition Macbook Pro late 2011 model. The reason for the trade is mainly because I really need portability for school and travel, and I don't even game on the PC anymore. Any gaming I do is on the PS3 and soon to be PS4.

With that said, I'm getting a little cold feet about it. The PC feels like my baby because of the work I've put into it. So I have a few questions that will ease my worry;

2) It's an i5 with 4gb of ram and 500gb hard drive. From what I've read this model can be upgraded. Will upgrading the ram to 8gb and installing a SSD make it last much longer without needing to drop money to upgrade?

3) I'd like it to last a minimum of 2-3 years without significant slowdown. Does that seem feasible?

Thanks!

i would say feasible.

I was using my 2008 non-unibody MacBook Pro, and it felt as snappy as ever until this year when the logic board seemingly died. So, it lasted just over 5 years. It wasn't modern any more, but for what I used it for, it seemed fine.

having 8GB RAM and an SSD will improve performance significantly.

In my experience, age of the computer doesn't contribute to slowdown. The only slow downs I really had were more attributed to OS updates (but nothing major), or running out of disk space.

I think it would depend more on teh software technology you used. For example, if you need modern software tech, or played games.

muddream

Banned

Thanks!

You'll be fine for 2-3 years, I wouldn't even upgrade the RAM if it's a 13". Since you haven't really told us what kind of MBP it is and how much you're buying it for, you might still be getting a bad deal compared to a refurb MBA, which will be quicker, lighter, have much better battery life and will last you longer.

Giggzy

You'll be fine for 2-3 years, I wouldn't even upgrade the RAM if it's a 13". Since you haven't really told us what kind of MBP it is and how much you're buying it for, you might still be getting a bad deal compared to a refurb MBA, which will be quicker, lighter, have much better battery life and will last you longer.

It's a late 2011 13 inch Macbook pro, i5 2.4ghz,4gb ram, 500gb hard drive.

I'm not paying anything for it as the owner and I are doing a straight swap for it. My gaming pc for his laptop. My pc is valued around 800,so I'm assuming the laptop is similar in price.

So I'm reading that the new chips will only be included in the Retina models? I wasn't going to get one anyways, so am I good to just get a regular MBP now? Will the regular line get any changes other than the new OS?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Maxing out the RAM and putting in an SSD literally makes it feel like a new machine. My 2010 Pro had this done and it works amazingly even now a few months after its AppleCare expired. Get the best SSD you can afford and would be comfortable with. (A 512GB SSD will be expensive if you want to match your 500GB HDD so go with 256GB if you need to.)

RAM will help immensely too. But with an SSD, paging out won't be a big slowdown anymore, but still having more RAM will help keep down the wear on the SSD.

Also make sure you have AppleCare so if anything does happen during those 3 years you'll be safe.

Top Bottom