• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've just ordered an ssd for my 27in 2011 iMac which hopefully I'll be installing on Friday. I'm leaving the original 1tb hard drive in there to use for data, leaving the ssd mainly for OS X and some of my apps.
Having built a few windows pc's in the past I'm not too fazed at the thought of opening my iMac up. However, if you guys have any tips or advice or know of any good tutorials, particularly on the process of formatting the new drive and moving OS X across to the ssd it would be much appreciated.

I have time machine back ups or would it be better to do a clean install?
Make sure the backup is complete with all you want to keep. Then clean install and use Migration Assistant when it finishes installing. It's the best way these days.

Deku Tree

I've just ordered an ssd for my 27in 2011 iMac which hopefully I'll be installing on Friday. I'm leaving the original 1tb hard drive in there to use for data, leaving the ssd mainly for OS X and some of my apps.
Having built a few windows pc's in the past I'm not too fazed at the thought of opening my iMac up. However, if you guys have any tips or advice or know of any good tutorials, particularly on the process of formatting the new drive and moving OS X across to the ssd it would be much appreciated.

I want to do this with my 2009 iMac. Please post whatever you learn. Where did you buy the SSD? Did you buy a kit from OWC? Thanks!

caramac

Make sure the backup is complete with all you want to keep. Then clean install and use Migration Assistant when it finishes installing. It's the best way these days.

Thanks, having looked around a few forums it does seem a popular way to go.

I want to do this with my 2009 iMac. Please post whatever you learn. Where did you buy the SSD? Did you buy a kit from OWC? Thanks!

Sure, if I come out unscathed I'll post my experiences :)

This is the SSD I went for.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009LI7CTY/

Pachimari

I'm thinking of selling my Mac Mini (which is connected to my HDTV), as it can't play HD channels through Eye TV that well anyway.

But can I connect my MacBook Air (2011) to my HDTV with a HDMI cable and watch my Plex movies that way?

japtor

It's a bit more involved than building a PC:
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2429+Dual+Hard+Drive+Kit/7575

Alternatively you could just hook it up through Thunderbolt, although that'll cost a bit:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HQCARY/?tag=neogaf0e-20
There's other ways but that's the cheapest...plus $30 TB cable. The drive side connector is just SATA so you can hook it up with just a spacer, or ideally get an empty Seagate Backup Plus portable enclosure off eBay if you want a nicer setup. Looks like there's a few for $20-30.

Alternatively look for a deal on an existing TB drive of some sort and hack that. If they include a cable it's a comparable deal, plus you get another drive out of it, like so:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007IJ7T4G/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D4X9UI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
(hell if I know if those have SATA 6Gbps support though)

...or if you want to plan for the future, go hog wild and get a nice multi bay bootable TB enclosure. That'll cost a crapload though.

Is 4GB of RAM enough for OS X? I don't have a Mac right now but I'm seriously considering a MBA, and the cost to jump to 8GB is really high.

I think I could deal with a 128GB SSD... actually can you upgrade that yourself?

Thanks.

kennah

Is 4GB of RAM enough for OS X? I don't have a Mac right now but I'm seriously considering a MBA, and the cost to jump to 8GB is really high.

I think I could deal with a 128GB SSD... actually can you upgrade that yourself?

Thanks.

With any non-upgradeable air or retina macbook - get as much ram when you initially purchase as you can afford. Hard drives 'can' be upgraded later. But it is expensive. Slap a 64 or 128gig SD Card in for added storage of slower media.

Thanks.

I originally wanted to do this, as in get the base MBA 13-inch and just stick 8GB of RAM and it came out to $1399 or so I believe because I knew I couldn't upgrade at all once I bought it. The HDD wasn't really part of the equation as I knew I could just buy an external HDD if I was really hurting for space.

Of course come this weekend, I opted for the Retina MBP with 8GB RAM & 256GB HDD because a) price difference between this model and the MBA I was going to configure was negligible, b) could buy in-store versus ordering through Apple and c) weight difference was negligible.

With any non-upgradeable air or retina macbook - get as much ram when you initially purchase as you can afford. Hard drives 'can' be upgraded later. But it is expensive. Slap a 64 or 128gig SD Card in for added storage of slower media.

Thanks. I didn't even realize it had an SD card slot. How practical is it to keep data on an SD card? Will it be slower than e.g. a 5400 RPM HDD? Thanks!

kennah

Thanks. I didn't even realize it had an SD card slot. How practical is it to keep data on an SD card? Will it be slower than e.g. a 5400 RPM HDD? Thanks!

Fast enough for movies and music. I wouldn't use it for a scratch drive for editing video.

Also - I should clarify - the 11" doesn't come with an SD Card slot.

Fast enough for movies and music. I wouldn't use it for a scratch drive for editing video.

Also - I should clarify - the 11" doesn't come with an SD Card slot.

That is awesome. I have a high-speed 32GB SD here actually that I'm not using at the moment. Now to ponder if I want to wait for the MBA refresh (which I'm guessing will just be a minimum spec boost).

The only thing I don't like about the MBA is the screen, but I do appreciate the long battery life a low-res screen offers.

I've fallen in love with a 32GB (for now) Sandisk Cruzer Fit: http://amzn.to/1dObEad

iWjt+

It's a tiny USB flash drive that I just leave in the slot all of the time to store things that I don't want clogging up my hard drive. It's small enough that I hardly notice it even though I'm constantly dragging my laptop bag around. I'm waiting for something like 64GB/128GB and USB 3.0 before I upgrade, but I'm pretty sure this form-factor of flash drive is going to extend the life of my MacBook Pro, which is only 128GB.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've fallen in love with a 32GB (for now) Sandisk Cruzer Fit: http://amzn.to/1dObEad

iWjt+

It's a tiny USB flash drive that I just leave in the slot all of the time to store things that I don't want clogging up my hard drive. It's small enough that I hardly notice it even though I'm constantly dragging my laptop bag around. I'm waiting for something like 64GB/128GB and USB 3.0 before I upgrade, but I'm pretty sure this form-factor of flash drive is going to extend the life of my MacBook Pro, which is only 128GB.
If they did have USB3 128GB versions, I'd wish my Retina Pro had three USB ports. (I wish A) all the USB was on the same side and the TB ports were with the HDMI on the other, and B) that there were 3 USB ports. Also, I don't need two TB ports and would gladly trade one for a USB.)

Though I've had USB sticks wear out way too fast. They're not made for constant read/write. I wish they were. Same with SD cards. I'd love to keep one of a sizable amount in the slot all the time. But they're slow.

If they did have USB3 128GB versions, I'd wish my Retina Pro had three USB ports. (I wish A) all the USB was on the same side and the TB ports were with the HDMI on the other, and B) that there were 3 USB ports. Also, I don't need two TB ports and would gladly trade one for a USB.)

Though I've had USB sticks wear out way too fast. They're not made for constant read/write. I wish they were. Same with SD cards. I'd love to keep one of a sizable amount in the slot all the time. But they're slow.
What's that? You want ANOTHER Thunderbolt port?

Fuchsdh

Would be good for them to have three USB ports, but you need two TB ports--so many peripherals can't be daisy-chained, so one is likely always going to be hogged (say by my Blackmagic Intensity.)

I assume that the next revision of the Mac mini would have two TB2 ports (and losing the FW800) considering spec-wise it's usually sourced from the low end MBPs.

Deku Tree

I find two thunderbolt ports to be a total waste for my own usage needs too.
But I can see how certain pro types would need both.

I'm not sure that getting rid of one TB port gives you room for another USB3 though.

Personally I have a Dell 27" with a four port USB3 hub and another seven port USB3 hub,
so one extra port wouldn't make or break things either way.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Would be good for them to have three USB ports, but you need two TB ports--so many peripherals can't be daisy-chained, so one is likely always going to be hogged (say by my Blackmagic Intensity.)

I assume that the next revision of the Mac mini would have two TB2 ports (and losing the FW800) considering spec-wise it's usually sourced from the low end MBPs.
I don't have any TB devices. At all.

caramac

It's a bit more involved than building a PC:
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2429+Dual+Hard+Drive+Kit/7575

Alternatively you could just hook it up through Thunderbolt, although that'll cost a bit:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HQCARY/?tag=neogaf0e-20
There's other ways but that's the cheapest...plus $30 TB cable. The drive side connector is just SATA so you can hook it up with just a spacer, or ideally get an empty Seagate Backup Plus portable enclosure off eBay if you want a nicer setup. Looks like there's a few for $20-30.

Alternatively look for a deal on an existing TB drive of some sort and hack that. If they include a cable it's a comparable deal, plus you get another drive out of it, like so:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007IJ7T4G/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D4X9UI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
(hell if I know if those have SATA 6Gbps support though)

...or if you want to plan for the future, go hog wild and get a nice multi bay bootable TB enclosure. That'll cost a crapload though.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions japtor, much appreciated.

Any of y'all have a Haswell 13" rMBP? Does it lag in normal operation (e.g. web browsing, mission contorl, window resizing) if you have it at the higher scaled resolutions (1440x900, 1680x1050)?

Ryck

I keep getting this message everyday on startup...

The strange thing is that no app shows open and everytime I click on the box it shows nothing in finder ( just finder) as if im clicking on the desktop. I ignore it and close the box and yet imessage, mail etc all work fine. Maybe I am a little paranoid but something doesn't seem right about it.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Magni

The strange thing is that no app shows open and everytime I click on the box it shows nothing in finder ( just finder) as if im clicking on the desktop. I ignore it and close the box and yet imessage, mail etc all work fine. Maybe I am a little paranoid but something doesn't seem right about it.

What app shows in the menu bar when you focus on that window?

Deku Tree

Trash your keychain and rebuild it. It might be corrupt.

Your Mac is signing into your iCloud account for some background service like contact syncing, Back To My Mac, etc.

Trash your keychain and rebuild it. It might be corrupt.

He's not said it's actually in his keychain, so this might be perfectly reasonable.

I find two thunderbolt ports to be a total waste for my own usage needs too.
But I can see how certain pro types would need both.

I'm not sure that getting rid of one TB port gives you room for another USB3 though.

Personally I have a Dell 27" with a four port USB3 hub and another seven port USB3 hub,
so one extra port wouldn't make or break things either way.

Ew. USB hubs.

Any of y'all have a Haswell 13" rMBP? Does it lag in normal operation (e.g. web browsing, mission contorl, window resizing) if you have it at the higher scaled resolutions (1440x900, 1680x1050)?

I've got one but haven't really noticed much lag at all actually. Granted, I just got it so need to play with it more. Battery life is awesome for sure though.

13", 2.4GHz & 8GB RAM version

gokieks

I use one TB port for a GbE adapter and one for video output, so I actually do need both since Apple is obviously never putting an Ethernet port on any of their laptops ever again.

Another USB port would be nice though - it's not like there isn't enough space for it on the rMBP.

Sec0nd

Hard drive

Which is weird since banks referring to ram.

Thanks for the reply but it actually turned out to be that one of the two banks is busted. She's running on a single 4GB ram slot right now instead of 2GB ones. Not ideal obviously but better than having to replace the entire logicboard.

thenexus6

So I want to get a 11.6 MacBook air soonish (maybe March time). Needed some advice.

So I am planning on getting a 500GB USB3 Hard drive for files, then maybe another small drive or just partition the 500GB for time machine use. Because i'd only have a 128GB SDD inside the mac i'd ideally like to have my iTunes library on that external drive / a 64GB usb stick.

With a decent speed stick would it work well enough for my entire iTunes library? Mind you it'll only be music on there, and maybe apps when I get an iPad Mini later in the year

Fuchsdh

So I want to get a 11.6 MacBook air soonish (maybe March time). Needed some advice.

So I am planning on getting a 500GB USB3 Hard drive for files, then maybe another small drive or just partition the 500GB for time machine use. Because i'd only have a 128GB SDD inside the mac i'd ideally like to have my iTunes library on that external drive / a 64GB usb stick.

With a decent speed stick would it work well enough for my entire iTunes library? Mind you it'll only be music on there, and maybe apps when I get an iPad Mini later in the year
It'll be perfectly fine. You might get a slight delay playing back the first file or whatnot of your hard drive has gone to sleep but that's about it.

Deku Tree

Yes. My iTunes library is HUGE. And it is on an external USB3 5200 rpm HDD. I have no problems. Been setup this way for 1.5 years.

Sandisk has a 64GB Fit already and I've seen a few other unknown-to-me companies start making USB3 flash drives in that form factor. Unfortunately they don't seem to have made it stateside yet, but I expect Sandisk or someone else to get there soon. A company called Leef has another nice looking tiny USB drive.

I get the feeling that USB3 is kind of a pain in the ass to support well—there was some scuttlebutt around the first Retina Pro that centered around Apple having done a pretty good job covering up the flaws at the time. Whether at the device or chipset/software layer, reviews of many USB3 things seem a little sour every time I look.

I use Thunderbolt as mini-displayport only. The lackluster take-up doesn't bode well for allowing component manufacturers to lower costs.

Sandisk has a 64GB Fit already and I've seen a few other unknown-to-me companies start making USB3 flash drives in that form factor. Unfortunately they don't seem to have made it stateside yet, but I expect Sandisk or someone else to get there soon. A company called Leef has another nice looking tiny USB drive.

I get the feeling that USB3 is kind of a pain in the ass to support well—there was some scuttlebutt around the first Retina Pro that centered around Apple having done a pretty good job covering up the flaws at the time. Whether at the device or chipset/software layer, reviews of many USB3 things seem a little sour every time I look.

I use Thunderbolt as mini-displayport only. The lackluster take-up doesn't bode well for allowing component manufacturers to lower costs.

I can tell you that on my 2012 rMBP, my external USB 3 drive works fine, although I mostly use it through BootCamp as my drive with my Steam library on it.

Fuchsdh

I can tell you that on my 2012 rMBP, my external USB 3 drive works fine, although I mostly use it through BootCamp as my drive with my Steam library on it.

There's no way you can saturate even a USB2 connection running FLAC or ALAC, so anyone's normal audio will be fine on an external drive.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What would the maximum read/write speed for a HDD in a ThunderBolt case be? Would it even be higher than USB 3? High enough to justify it? What is the direct max speed of a HDD?

gokieks

What would the maximum read/write speed for a HDD in a ThunderBolt case be? Would it even be higher than USB 3? High enough to justify it? What is the direct max speed of a HDD?

You would need multiple SSDs in RAID-0 to come remotely close to saturating the TB bus. On one of the earliest TB devices that AnandTech tested, using 4/6 SF-2281 SSDs he was able to get over 1GB/s sequential reads:

39439.png

Aw I think my 2009 3.02 GHz Core2 Duo 25" iMac is rapidly dying. It was working perfectly well until about three days ago when Firefox would beachball the whole system at random pages, then take 10 minutes to catch up. Same thing happened with Chrome and App Store. I tried repairing the disk using Cmd-R at boot, but now I can't even boot to the desktop. It'll always boot to the utility/restore screen. Restoring from Time Machine didn't get me out of this utility boot screen. I was thinking about getting the hard drive replaced at a repair shop, but it's probably not worth it, is it? If I do get another iMac, is Migration Assistant a good route to restore my documents, music and settings from Time Machine? Thanks.

Deku Tree

Aw I think my 2009 3.02 GHz Core2 Duo 25" iMac is rapidly dying. It was working perfectly well until about three days ago when Firefox would beachball the whole system at random pages, then take 10 minutes to catch up. Same thing happened with Chrome and App Store. I tried repairing the disk using Cmd-R at boot, but now I can't even boot to the desktop. It'll always boot to the utility/restore screen. Restoring from Time Machine didn't get me out of this utility boot screen. I was thinking about getting the hard drive replaced at a repair shop, but it's probably not worth it, is it? If I do get another iMac, is Migration Assistant a good route to restore my documents, music and settings from Time Machine? Thanks.

You mean the 27"? If you can get your iMac to boot to an external HDD then it might be just that your HDD failed.

I have an iMac 27inch Late 2009 with the 3GHz Core 2 duo, and it still runs like a champ other than slow boot times because of no SSD.

Apple replaced my Seagate HDD on this computer for free last year (they even sent a technician to my office on their own dime) because they have a replacement program going on.

Apple has determined that certain Seagate 1TB hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

If you can get your serial number and put your serial number into that web page, then there is a chance Apple will replace your HDD for free. Its worth a shot.

Thanks for the replies. I bought this iMac in July 2009, so I came up ineligible for the HD replacement program. There is an authorized Mac repair center within driving distance so I'll give them a shot and see how much it'll cost me to replace a dying 1 TB for a 256 or 500 GB SSD, if possible. Other than boot up times this machine had been very solid and I hope to get another 18 months out of it.

Top Bottom