• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Fuchsdh

^I think there definitely will be. Or definitely should be, to 8GB of RAM, at least.

I love the idea of a Mac Mini for my parents, but my only problem is it's a desktop with a lifespan of a notebook (three years with an extended warranty). Meanwhile, their 6-year old small-form factor HP desktop has had literally every part on it die at one point or the other, and since it's been out of warranty, outside of Mobo and CPU, I have slowly been replacing each dying part with a part that would be right at home on a high-end workstation/gaming rig.

I would love to get them on OS X, or Windows 8.1, but I'm worried that 8.1 is going to be too much of a change for them, and it would be nice to get them completely into the Apple ecosystem, especially for things like iPhoto, Contacts, etc.

Not sure where you're getting a three year lifespan. If all your parents do is surf the web or word process/account/productivity any computer you buy now will last a lot longer than three years.

I used to go by the adage of buying a completely new machine every four years because that's what the business demanded but these days I'm still doing billable work on an old 2008 Mac Pro and it's quite snappy still.

bionic77

Checked out a MBA last night. Really nice machine.

I'm interested but to spec it how I want it becomes pretty expensive (256, 8GB, Applecare). Think there's any chance they might bump the minimum spec model (128GB, 4GB) at the next refresh?

Or is anyone getting by just fine with 128GB/4GB?
I would upgrade the ram and use a external HD for media and photos. But if that is going to be your primary computer and you have a lot of media 128 or even 256 is going to get old fast.

A friend is asking for recommendations on a low priced PC mainly for browsing, office work, etc.

I'm thinking of recommending this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD387LL/A/refurbished-mac-mini-25ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

Are the Mac Minis considered pretty good?
iMac might be a better deal if they want to splurge a bit more.

But if they already have a good monitor the mini is nice as well. Just make sure they get the SSD or Fusion Drive.

My 2006 first generation MacBook still works fine for web browsing and word processing.
My 2006 MBP still works for web browsing and word processing but it was getting a little chunky. And forget having too many programs or tabs open at the same time. Not enough ram and those Core Duo processors are pretty ancient at this point.

The monitor is still gorgeous though.

Fuchsdh

You have an SSD in yours like I do, right?

It makes such a huge difference.
On my home computer, yeah. On my work comp, just a stock 7200 :)

Sadly SSDs don't help me much there because so much of our storage is NAS based. I could make my boot and scratch SSDs but the bottleneck is my render locations are still over a network. I feel like I'd burn through my SSDs if I used them as cache too--so many writes every day would probably kill its lifespan.

fireside

My 2006 MBP still works for web browsing and word processing but it was getting a little chunky. And forget having too many programs or tabs open at the same time. Not enough ram and those Core Duo processors are pretty ancient at this point.

The monitor is still gorgeous though.

Definitely chunky, but the idea that "notebooks last 3 years" is kind of silly.

On my home computer, yeah. On my work comp, just a stock 7200 :)

Sadly SSDs don't help me much there because so much of our storage is NAS based. I could make my boot and scratch SSDs but the bottleneck is my render locations are still over a network. I feel like I'd burn through my SSDs if I used them as cache too--so many writes every day would probably kill its lifespan.

I'd imagine that you would still see a difference with a SSD as the boot disk for application and system responsiveness.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For a casual-use desktop, a cheap used 2010+ 21.5" iMac is pretty much perfect. Come to think of it, even a pre-2010, Core 2 Duo model would do for light use. I'm sure those would be available in your friend's price range.
I'm still hoping for a sleek Air inspired redesign of the Mac mini with a small SSD base option (64-128GB to keep cost down), a Haswell (Or if later this year, Broadwell) and HD 5100 GPU and 8GB RAM for $600-700 at most baseline. I need one to replace my super slow HDD based 2010 mini. Kill the damn HDD in these things. USB3 and TB2 and nominal RAM and a small SSD will be perfect enough for my Mac mini server.

2014 Mac mini with those specs will be amazing. Let me throw my money at you, Apple. If not, then I guess I'll be doing surgery on my 2010 model to replace the HDD in this thing.

Not sure where you're getting a three year lifespan. If all your parents do is surf the web or word process/account/productivity any computer you buy now will last a lot longer than three years.

I used to go by the adage of buying a completely new machine every four years because that's what the business demanded but these days I'm still doing billable work on an old 2008 Mac Pro and it's quite snappy still.

Because parts fail like it's their job.

Fuchsdh

Because parts fail like it's their job.

I've never had a Mac with parts failing outside of the HDD. They do fail sometimes. But you make it seem like it happens all the time for everybody. That hasn't been my experience.

Yep. My 2008 MBP had a bad graphics card, faulty replacement battery and a logic board get fried.

As far as desktops? In 20 years of ownership and seven Macs I have had zero Apple hardware failures. Keep in mind that I was using computers that were by the time I touched them, nearly eight years old. Still no issues. Worst I've dealt with was bad aftermarket RAM and the hazards of me being an idiot and running a defrag during a thunderstorm :p

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My 2007 MacBook started falling apart before its first year ended. And by the middle of its third had completely crumbled. It just so happens that I didn't buy AppleCare for it.

It first developed the cracks in the palm rest. These were fixed the first time under warranty.
It formed them again out of warranty.
It would shut itself off when it overheated. Which was all the time. I couldn't watch internet videos for the longest time without living in fear of sudden termination.
The fan would make a loud grinding noise that got worse the faster it spun, which was depending on the temperature.

It annoyed the shit out of my girlfriend at the time, who owned the same model.

I had to wait a long time for the 2010 MacBook Pro's to be released so I could replace it. It was a long noisy time. The day the 2010 Pro's came out was a wonderful day. Well, a few days after that day was a wonderful day since I had to wait for it to arrive.

It's in a box in pieces now.

Silkworm

I've mentioned earlier in this thread that I recently purchased a refurbished MacBook Pro. The model I got is a 15-inch, Mid 2012 with a 2.3 GHz inetl Core i7. It comes with 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. I'm contemplating expanding it up to its max 8 GB 1600MHz DDR3 [(PC3-12800) - 2x4GB]. Is there any advantage of buying this memory directly from Apple or would buying it from some other vendor work just as well (and cost about half as much)? I assume buying it from other supplier than Apple should be fine but I thought I'd ask just in case. If not through Apple, is there any particular recommended supplier of this type of memory? Quickly looking at Amazon, I see good reviews for Corsair Vengeance 8 GB module which runs for about $100. Anyway, maybe this sort of thing is idiot proof (upgrading RAM on a MacBook Pro) but I'd feel safer with an informed second opinion. Thanks! :)

kennah

That model can actually take 16 gigs. Just get whatever you can find cheap. You want two sticks of 8gig ddr3 1600 SODIMM. Kingston, Corsair, gskill an patriot are all good.

Silkworm

That model can actually take 16 gigs. Just get whatever you can find cheap. You want two sticks of 8gig ddr3 1600 SODIMM. Kingston, Corsair, gskill an patriot are all good.

Thanks for that info, kennah. I had assumed 8 GB was the maximum due to what options I found at Apple's website for this model. However in light of your response, I see now that it can support up to 16 GB. Apparently it can use up to 16 GB of RAM, it's just that officially this isn't supported by Apple. More options is always nice (4 GB RAM is sluggish which is what I had to work with on my prior work purchased MacBook Pro, so I'd like to upgrade my current one with 8 or 16 GB).

kennah

Thanks for that info, kennah. I had assumed 8 GB was the maximum due to what options I found at Apple's website for this model. However in light of your response, I see now that it can support up to 16 GB. Apparently it can use up to 16 GB of RAM, it's just that officially this isn't supported by Apple. More options is always nice (4 GB RAM is sluggish which is what I had to work with on my prior work purchased MacBook Pro, so I'd like to upgrade my current one with 8 or 16 GB).

Yeah, almost all of their models have 'unofficial' supported RAM. Best way to tell is to look up your model number on everymac. Shows what the chipset can actually take advantage of.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, almost all of their models have 'unofficial' supported RAM. Best way to tell is to look up your model number on everymac. Shows what the chipset can actually take advantage of.

The lower numbers are also often because Apple releases a computer before DIMMs of a doubled capacity were available.

Sec0nd

Hi guys, some Macbook troubles.

My gf her 2011 13" Macbook Pro is having some serious issues. It crashes a lot when she moves it around and often gives the 3 beep 'no good banks' warning. She brought it to the Apple store where they cleaned it and looked at everything and didn't really see a problem (expect from the insane dirt inside the system). Anyway, she still has the issue. We even replaced the RAM with some old RAM of mine and it still crashes. Any idea what might be causing all these crashes?

TUSR

Banned
Hi guys, some Macbook troubles.

My gf her 2011 13" Macbook Pro is having some serious issues. It crashes a lot when she moves it around and often gives the 3 beep 'no good banks' warning. She brought it to the Apple store where they cleaned it and looked at everything and didn't really see a problem (expect from the insane dirt inside the system). Anyway, she still has the issue. We even replaced the RAM with some old RAM of mine and it still crashes. Any idea what might be causing all these crashes?
Hard drive

Which is weird since banks referring to ram.

Kjellson

I've got a question for you Apple guys. Thinking of getting a MacBook Air but I've heard a new one might be coming this summer. Are they going to show a new one or is it just rumors?

Water

I'm still hoping for a sleek Air inspired redesign of the Mac mini with a small SSD base option (64-128GB to keep cost down), a Haswell (Or if later this year, Broadwell) and HD 5100 GPU and 8GB RAM for $600-700 at most baseline. I need one to replace my super slow HDD based 2010 mini. Kill the damn HDD in these things. USB3 and TB2 and nominal RAM and a small SSD will be perfect enough for my Mac mini server.
Haswell is a given, and SSD should have been default long ago.

My guess is they'll throw out the 2.5" HDD, insert a slim PCIe SSD, shave a few irrelevant millimeters of height off the chassis and engage hype machine as usual.

A far more usability-centered approach would be to keep or increase chassis volume and add cooling. Much larger fan, more heatsink. This would make the machine quieter and more pleasant under load while considerably increasing the maximum performance. Or forget improving performance, remove the fan altogether, and make the case one big heatsink like industrial PCs, silent under any conditions. This would work nicely in a vertical form factor reminiscent of Mac Pro and Airport base station. More height than before, but the desk footprint could be reduced a lot from the current mini.

Haswell is a given, and SSD should have been default long ago.

My guess is they'll throw out the 2.5" HDD, insert a slim PCIe SSD, shave a few irrelevant millimeters of height off the chassis and engage hype machine as usual.

A far more usability-centered approach would be to keep or increase chassis volume and add cooling. Much larger fan, more heatsink. This would make the machine quieter and more pleasant under load while considerably increasing the maximum performance. Or forget improving performance, remove the fan altogether, and make the case one big heatsink like industrial PCs, silent under any conditions. This would work nicely in a vertical form factor reminiscent of Mac Pro and Airport base station. More height than before, but the desk footprint could be reduced a lot from the current mini.

Haswell by itself will take care of part of the heat problem. See the Haswell rMBPs versus the Ivy Bridge models when it comes to heat, noise, and number of fans.

And The Real Abed, this is what the network latency problem looks like (from my late 2013 rMBP). If you don't have a 2013 MBA or late 2013 rMBP, you aren't affected, as far as I know.

OdQcCLs.png

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
And The Real Abed, this is what the network latency problem looks like (from my late 2013 rMBP). If you don't have a 2013 MBA or late 2013 rMBP, you aren't affected, as far as I know.
If you mean the part in the middle that say request for timeout, I don't get those.

I do have a 2013 15" Retina Pro.

If you mean the part in the middle that say request for timeout, I don't get those.

I do have a 2013 15" Retina Pro.

I meant the latency being over 100ms. And the timeouts, but mostly the high values.

For example, you can easily get a latency of 40ms on a cellular network, let alone your own personal WiFi. 1-3ms would be the expected values.

CFMOORE!

Hey guys. My house was broken into and my MacBook Pro (2007) was one of the items the thief took. While the computer was showing its age, it was my only computer and I was more than likely going to buy an Air soon. But, now I am flirting with the idea of buying a used MacBook Pro (maybe 2008 era) for as cheap as I can ($400 max budget) then buy a decked out Air during their refresh this year.

Is this plan stupid or would others do something similar in my same situation? My iPad was also stolen :(

Finally (and I mean finally) got my new laptop today. MBPr 13-inch @ 2.4GHz, 8GB version.

Still installing/updating software but I'm just in love with this laptop right now...

c14f24657215ab0b0341c17fb7650d3b_zps42feced4.jpg

japtor

Hey guys. My house was broken into and my MacBook Pro (2007) was one of the items the thief took. While the computer was showing its age, it was my only computer and I was more than likely going to buy an Air soon. But, now I am flirting with the idea of buying a used MacBook Pro (maybe 2008 era) for as cheap as I can ($400 max budget) then buy a decked out Air during their refresh this year.

Is this plan stupid or would others do something similar in my same situation? My iPad was also stolen :(
Ouch, sorry to hear about that. Well the oldest I'd go is the late 2008 MacBook (the 13" aluminum one)...or live with a non Mac machine for a while if possible, like a new Windows or Chromebook device for around $200-300. If the bulk of your use is relatively basic and/or web based you should be able to get away with it.

Dany

Banned
Finally (and I mean finally) got my new laptop today. MBPr 13-inch @ 2.4GHz, 8GB version.

Still installing/updating software but I'm just in love with this laptop right now...

c14f24657215ab0b0341c17fb7650d3b_zps42feced4.jpg
nice! is that retina or no?
I was looking for a new laptop, my 2010 mbp is slow as hell. I just did a clean install and I hope that'll help it a bit

Hey guys I could use some troubleshooting help.

Over the weekend I bought a used late 2007 Macbook off Craigslist (for a mere $20), it came with no harddrive. No problem, I have a no longer working (early 2007?) Macbook so a tried swapping that HDD into the new one. It worked! OSX booted right up into my old profile, all the old files/apps were present. The only problem was that the keyboard didn't work. The trackpad worked, the power button worked, but the keyboard wouldn't work, the "caps lock" green light was lite though. In trying to troubleshoot I also realized the internet didn't work either, I could connect to my wifi, but firefox/chrome wouldn't work.

At this point I was more concerned with the keyboard, so googling around one possible solution I found was to boot into "safe mode". With an external keyboard I did this- I turned it off, pressed the power button, when it chimed I held the shift key until the Apple logo and rotating gear appeared. It just sat at that screen. I let it sit there, waited and waited, after about 10 minutes of nothing happening I decided it didn't work. I pressed the power button until it shut down.

When I pressed the power button to boot it up again- nothing happened. I can't boot it up at all anymore and plugged into the charger the light on the mag charger doesn't come on. Nothing is happening. I've tried 2 different chargers, I've tried resetting the SMC, I've tried taking the HDD and ram out and starting it. Nothing has worked.

I don't know if I bricked it, or if the HDD incompatibility had something to do with it, or if some hardware part fried. It's obviously not a big lose if it never works again, only $20 lost. My hope was to drop an small SSD in it and have a nice cheap back-up computer since I want to buy a new Haswell MBP later this year. I don't live close enough to any Apple Stores to bother taking it in to get fixed.

Need an opinion...

Would you guys buy a 2006 MacBook for 150$?

Just for writing and bringing into the office and stuff... Maybe a Chromebook would serve better?

I decided to pick up one of these the other day too. I was conflicted between that and the 13" Air, but decided on this because of the extra CPU and better display for only $149 more. I don't use it all the time since it's just my secondary machine, so that retina display impresses me every time I use the thing.

Now I just have to sell this late 2011 15" MBP to pay for most of it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I meant the latency being over 100ms. And the timeouts, but mostly the high values.

For example, you can easily get a latency of 40ms on a cellular network, let alone your own personal WiFi. 1-3ms would be the expected values.
Hmm. Then according to my findings in the Mavericks thread:

ping followed by the IP address of your router.
Hmm, here's what I get:

Code:
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes
--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
15 packets transmitted, 15 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.600/1.269/3.813/0.748 ms

And for good measure this is what I get on the Mac mini side: (Which is connected to Ethernet)

Code:
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes
--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.460/0.575/1.169/0.211 ms

I also tried pinging the Mac mini:

Code:
PING 192.168.1.10 (192.168.1.10): 56 data bytes
--- 192.168.1.10 ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.085/25.432/91.765/31.749 ms

Does anything at all seem wrong? Because it seems to look the same. Maybe it's my router? (Which is a shitty Verizon supplied ActionTec with the red band which is supposed to imply 802.11n, or so we're told. I've never seen those speeds.)
I don't get the large ping times on each computer when connecting to just the router, but when connecting to the other computer I get some pretty high amounts as seen above. With averages of 0.5 on each machine but 25 when pinging across the network. Is that normal? It would seem to explain my problem with my local Minecraft server as was being discussed in the Mavericks thread. Either way I guess I don't have the problem being discussed here and my MC problem is something else. Oh well.

BTW, what does "stddev" mean?

Deku Tree

My WiFi uses a 2013 Airport AC router.
I ran PING for a bit on my Haswell 2013 MBA 11" just now while watching Netflix:

PING 10.0.1.1 (10.0.1.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=0.935 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0.805 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=1.354 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=1.061 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=1.854 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=255 time=1.285 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=255 time=1.188 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=255 time=0.839 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=255 time=1.147 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=9 ttl=255 time=1.001 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=10 ttl=255 time=1.949 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=11 ttl=255 time=2.049 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=12 ttl=255 time=1.391 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=13 ttl=255 time=1.181 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=14 ttl=255 time=6.254 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 15
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=15 ttl=255 time=1449.677 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=16 ttl=255 time=452.464 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=17 ttl=255 time=1449.155 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=18 ttl=255 time=451.881 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=19 ttl=255 time=36.687 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=20 ttl=255 time=27.946 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=21 ttl=255 time=20.255 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=22 ttl=255 time=0.925 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=23 ttl=255 time=1.768 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=24 ttl=255 time=1.146 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=25 ttl=255 time=0.971 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=26 ttl=255 time=1.698 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=27 ttl=255 time=1.119 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=28 ttl=255 time=1.570 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=29 ttl=255 time=1.575 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=30 ttl=255 time=2.909 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=31 ttl=255 time=3.067 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=32 ttl=255 time=1.261 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=33 ttl=255 time=0.867 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=34 ttl=255 time=2.046 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=35 ttl=255 time=1.097 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=36 ttl=255 time=1.223 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=37 ttl=255 time=1.339 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=38 ttl=255 time=0.940 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=39 ttl=255 time=1.351 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=40 ttl=255 time=1.824 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=41 ttl=255 time=1.355 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=42 ttl=255 time=1.288 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=43 ttl=255 time=1.752 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=44 ttl=255 time=2.129 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=45 ttl=255 time=0.933 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=46 ttl=255 time=0.764 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=47 ttl=255 time=1.675 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=48 ttl=255 time=1.118 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=49 ttl=255 time=1.379 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=50 ttl=255 time=0.977 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=51 ttl=255 time=1.013 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=52 ttl=255 time=2.029 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=53 ttl=255 time=0.967 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=54 ttl=255 time=1.285 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=55 ttl=255 time=1.254 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=56 ttl=255 time=1.416 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=57 ttl=255 time=1.478 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=58 ttl=255 time=1.995 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=59 ttl=255 time=1.351 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=60 ttl=255 time=1.419 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=61 ttl=255 time=1.348 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=62 ttl=255 time=1.497 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=63 ttl=255 time=0.967 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=64 ttl=255 time=1.094 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=65 ttl=255 time=0.918 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=66 ttl=255 time=1.857 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=67 ttl=255 time=1.289 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=68 ttl=255 time=0.995 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=69 ttl=255 time=1.363 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=70 ttl=255 time=1.650 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=71 ttl=255 time=1.277 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=72 ttl=255 time=1.529 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=73 ttl=255 time=1.112 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=74 ttl=255 time=1.542 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=75 ttl=255 time=1.060 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=76 ttl=255 time=0.904 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=77 ttl=255 time=1.485 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=78 ttl=255 time=1.360 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=79 ttl=255 time=1.361 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=80 ttl=255 time=0.969 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=81 ttl=255 time=17.816 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=82 ttl=255 time=1.792 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=83 ttl=255 time=0.972 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=84 ttl=255 time=1.810 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=85 ttl=255 time=1.279 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=86 ttl=255 time=1.763 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=87 ttl=255 time=1.252 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=88 ttl=255 time=6.178 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=89 ttl=255 time=1.255 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=90 ttl=255 time=1.139 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=91 ttl=255 time=1.319 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=92 ttl=255 time=1.341 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=93 ttl=255 time=1.365 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=94 ttl=255 time=1.352 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=95 ttl=255 time=1.750 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=96 ttl=255 time=1.140 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=97 ttl=255 time=1.088 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=98 ttl=255 time=2.611 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=99 ttl=255 time=1.238 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=100 ttl=255 time=1.344 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=101 ttl=255 time=0.924 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=102 ttl=255 time=1.122 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=103 ttl=255 time=1.177 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=104 ttl=255 time=0.809 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=105 ttl=255 time=1.007 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=106 ttl=255 time=1.193 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=107 ttl=255 time=1.277 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=108 ttl=255 time=1.223 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=109 ttl=255 time=1.441 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=110 ttl=255 time=1.037 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=111 ttl=255 time=1.087 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=112 ttl=255 time=1.453 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=113 ttl=255 time=1.103 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=114 ttl=255 time=1.425 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=115 ttl=255 time=1.144 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=116 ttl=255 time=0.989 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=117 ttl=255 time=1.645 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=118 ttl=255 time=1.038 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=119 ttl=255 time=1.061 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=120 ttl=255 time=1.039 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=121 ttl=255 time=5.739 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=122 ttl=255 time=3.882 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=123 ttl=255 time=1.906 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=124 ttl=255 time=31.917 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=125 ttl=255 time=260.156 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=126 ttl=255 time=1.685 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=127 ttl=255 time=103.224 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=128 ttl=255 time=1.516 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=129 ttl=255 time=249.041 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=130 ttl=255 time=169.612 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=131 ttl=255 time=1.917 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=132 ttl=255 time=9.972 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=133 ttl=255 time=27.179 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=134 ttl=255 time=1.920 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=135 ttl=255 time=1.445 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=136 ttl=255 time=310.543 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=137 ttl=255 time=11.088 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=138 ttl=255 time=1.365 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=139 ttl=255 time=23.090 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=140 ttl=255 time=36.759 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=141 ttl=255 time=49.780 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=142 ttl=255 time=63.083 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=143 ttl=255 time=58.618 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=144 ttl=255 time=90.707 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=145 ttl=255 time=3.016 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=146 ttl=255 time=118.221 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=147 ttl=255 time=7.007 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=148 ttl=255 time=145.073 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=149 ttl=255 time=156.822 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=150 ttl=255 time=117.883 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=151 ttl=255 time=1.827 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=152 ttl=255 time=1.732 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=153 ttl=255 time=186.734 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=154 ttl=255 time=106.685 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=155 ttl=255 time=27.357 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=156 ttl=255 time=248.097 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=157 ttl=255 time=1.847 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=158 ttl=255 time=1.343 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=159 ttl=255 time=1.813 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=160 ttl=255 time=243.784 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=161 ttl=255 time=163.754 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=162 ttl=255 time=83.874 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=163 ttl=255 time=3.217 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=164 ttl=255 time=232.696 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=165 ttl=255 time=3.017 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=166 ttl=255 time=73.891 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=167 ttl=255 time=5.715 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=168 ttl=255 time=222.385 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=169 ttl=255 time=142.911 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=170 ttl=255 time=63.597 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=171 ttl=255 time=291.686 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=172 ttl=255 time=8.472 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=173 ttl=255 time=133.849 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=174 ttl=255 time=53.064 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=175 ttl=255 time=278.585 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=176 ttl=255 time=1.688 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=177 ttl=255 time=122.182 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=178 ttl=255 time=1.785 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=179 ttl=255 time=268.300 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=180 ttl=255 time=189.862 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=181 ttl=255 time=110.042 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=182 ttl=255 time=30.797 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=183 ttl=255 time=1.349 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=184 ttl=255 time=178.155 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=185 ttl=255 time=98.132 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=186 ttl=255 time=18.708 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=187 ttl=255 time=246.695 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=188 ttl=255 time=1.710 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=189 ttl=255 time=1.489 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=190 ttl=255 time=7.288 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=191 ttl=255 time=235.640 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=192 ttl=255 time=155.773 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=193 ttl=255 time=3.380 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=194 ttl=255 time=293.490 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=195 ttl=255 time=224.656 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=196 ttl=255 time=1.228 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=197 ttl=255 time=68.613 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=198 ttl=255 time=1.778 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=199 ttl=255 time=1.660 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=200 ttl=255 time=134.289 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=201 ttl=255 time=55.827 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=202 ttl=255 time=281.082 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=203 ttl=255 time=1.716 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=204 ttl=255 time=122.097 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=205 ttl=255 time=43.758 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=206 ttl=255 time=271.627 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=207 ttl=255 time=4.026 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=208 ttl=255 time=111.919 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=209 ttl=255 time=32.277 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=210 ttl=255 time=258.726 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=211 ttl=255 time=1.698 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: icmp_seq=212 ttl=255 time=100.707 ms

DonDraper

Banned
Need an opinion...

Just for writing and bringing into the office and stuff... Maybe a Chromebook would serve better?

I bought one in late 2012 for some basic use and a few months later the logic board eventually died and there was nothing Apple could do for it, so they told me. So I was assed out after just a few months.

I should say that in real usage situations I have never felt like I had a latency problem with my 2013 MBA 11".

I've had a number of situations where Safari takes forever to first start to resolve a URL, but of course, I have no evidence that that's an issue with network latency versus simply poor coding in Safari, because, you know, we've never had that problem before either.

Deku Tree

Deku Tree

My 2012 rMBP 15" has a much faster PING to my router than my 2013 MBA 11.
Disappointing considering that the MBA is supposed to be the new AC standard, and my router is AC too.

Need an opinion...

Hell naw IMO. I'd get the Acer C720 Chromebook, has a warranty and gets over 8 hours of battery life (if those are your only needs). I think it's $199.

tafer

1) if you have apple care, great. If not, buy it if you still can....

2) if you notice any small signs of anything, and you have apple care, call them or go to an apple store and demand they fix it.

Thanks dude, I'll call tomorrow to see my options.

My 2012 rMBP 15" has a much faster PING to my router than my 2013 MBA 11.
Disappointing considering that the MBA is supposed to be the new AC standard, and my router is AC too.

After looking at the Apple Support thread on the issue, it looks like 10.9.2 Beta 2 resolves the issue, according to one poster, so it shouldn't be long.

caramac

I've just ordered an ssd for my 27in 2011 iMac which hopefully I'll be installing on Friday. I'm leaving the original 1tb hard drive in there to use for data, leaving the ssd mainly for OS X and some of my apps.
Having built a few windows pc's in the past I'm not too fazed at the thought of opening my iMac up. However, if you guys have any tips or advice or know of any good tutorials, particularly on the process of formatting the new drive and moving OS X across to the ssd it would be much appreciated.

I have time machine back ups or would it be better to do a clean install?

Top Bottom