• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is maximum 13" resolution:
iElPQxmbsFhPj.png
iLeHyzMOgQx4t.png

And for good measure, this is the 15":

No one runs the machine at that resolution though. It's way too high to be able to see anything at all. I run at 1920x1200 HiDPI on my 15". That's the max I'd run it on a 13" too. (1680x1050 if you need to be more comfortable)

A screenshot shows nothing else about the display's quality either - only how OS X renders with certain scaling factor. No one in their right mind would run the machine with no scaling, and most will stick to the default 200%.
with normal 200% retina scaling
another shot with 200% scaling, showing a non-retina enabled app

I sometimes use 1920x1200 non HiDPI for the space. Typically though I run one of the scaled HiDPI resolutions (1440x900 or 1680x1050)... and occasionally "best for retina" when just reading.

Water

I sometimes use 1920x1200 non HiDPI for the space. Typically though I run one of the scaled HiDPI resolutions (1440x900 or 1680x1050)... and occasionally "best for retina" when just reading.
I meant OS X's HiDPI scaling - in other words, that no one in their right mind runs a native 2560x1600 resolution on a 13" display.

Using a non-native resolution and upscaling is a different thing entirely. I'm not sure when it would actually be useful other than gaming, though. 1680x1050 HiDPI already puts a ridiculous amount of stuff on a 13" display.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I run 1920x1200 Retina on my 15". It's literally pushing more than 4K resolution at that point and the machine has no problem running it smoothly with either card. If I posted a screenshot of that it'd be higher resolution than the ones I posted above.

Sometimes I have a non Retina ACD connected with a fake resolution of normal 1920x1200 and it only slightly struggles when a HD video is running on it. Only slightly.

Deku Tree

I just set OSX to run at the resolution that is best for the display on my 15" rMBP. And most of the time I am looking at my attached Dell u2713hm monitor anyway.

I meant OS X's HiDPI scaling - in other words, that no one in their right mind runs a native 2560x1600 resolution on a 13" display.

Using a non-native resolution and upscaling is a different thing entirely. I'm not sure when it would actually be useful other than gaming, though. 1680x1050 HiDPI already puts a ridiculous amount of stuff on a 13" display.

Depends on your needs. I find 1920x1200 non-HiDPI useful at times, but that's maybe 5-10% of the time at most when I'm working.

Does anyone have any experience with remote desktop stuff with their Macs?

I have a Hackintosh at home and I use it for video editing. Was wondering if remote desktop would help me keep some productivity when I'm out of town. I really have no idea about any of it

Dreaver

Could be anything really. Not enough info generally. Does your MacBook have an HDD? It could be failing slowly... Does the HDD make noise? Othersie it could be corrupted software... Do you qualify for free Apple phone support?
Yes it has a HDD (500gb), I stil have I about 20% of space left right now. It used to be around <5% but I made some more space available. The HDD doesn't make noise I think, or least not more than a average Macbook.

No we don't have Apple phone support here I'm afraid. Guess I might do a clean install...

Thanks for the help.

Sorry for the late reply b

CFMOORE!

new question. i hooked up my mac to a 4k tv in my office and i accidentally set it to 4096x2160 when i saw the option. it just displays a black screen and occasionally flickers some lines. now my mac will only ever do this when hooking up to this tv and i cannot seem to get it to where i can adjust it to a normal 4k resolution that will work.

to add, it seems i am stuck because i chose this resolution at 30hz refresh rate. how can i change the resolution/refresh rate since i can't get that screen to display amidst the blackness?

how can i fix this?

thanks!!

Deku Tree

Yes it has a HDD (500gb), I stil have I about 20% of space left right now. It used to be around <5% but I made some more space available. The HDD doesn't make noise I think, or least not more than a average Macbook.

No we don't have Apple phone support here I'm afraid. Guess I might do a clean install...

Thanks for the help.

Sorry for the late reply b

Yeah having a full HDD can majorly slow down your computer. Better to free up some space. And be sure to keep regular backups too !!!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
new question. i hooked up my mac to a 4k tv in my office and i accidentally set it to 4096x2160 when i saw the option. it just displays a black screen and occasionally flickers some lines. now my mac will only ever do this when hooking up to this tv and i cannot seem to get it to where i can adjust it to a normal 4k resolution that will work.

to add, it seems i am stuck because i chose this resolution at 30hz refresh rate. how can i change the resolution/refresh rate since i can't get that screen to display amidst the blackness?

how can i fix this?

thanks!!
Try this... Connect the display and open System Preferences. Click on the Display tab where you choose a resolution. This should put a Preference window on both displays. You should be able to use a button that will consolidate all windows where you can bring the other dialog to the main screen and try setting a different resolution.

Or, better idea. Use QuickRes. It lets you set resolutions of any display from the menubar.

asdad123

My girlfriends 2010 Macbook Air (Core 2 Duo one with 320m) had its sound completely stop working.

The volume controls are greyed out and there is nothing listed under output devices. I tried resetting the PRAM, SMC, and even updated it to mavericks and no luck. This happened one time before and resetting the PRAM fixed the problem. It doesn't matter if headphones are plugged in or not, the volume control is always grey, and when I try to change it via the keyboard, a greyed out speaker icon just pops up.

Any idea?

kennah

What kind of error are you getting? And from where did you get it? I had a hell of a time getting it to play nice on my 2009 9600GT, but once it did it was smooth sailing.

CFMOORE!

Try this... Connect the display and open System Preferences. Click on the Display tab where you choose a resolution. This should put a Preference window on both displays. You should be able to use a button that will consolidate all windows where you can bring the other dialog to the main screen and try setting a different resolution.

Or, better idea. Use QuickRes. It lets you set resolutions of any display from the menubar.

I got quick res and it doesn't help. I can't put anything onto both displays as the macbook's screen goes black as it is trying to be 4096X2160 and the 4k tv displays a black fucked up screen due to the refresh rate. I can't change the resolution or refresh rate on either screen since it is impossible to see anything on either screen now.

When I unplug from the 4k, I see a quick glimpse of the screen settings but it vanishes super fat before I can edit anything

CFMOORE!

ok. problem solved. i pressed option and command and clicked and it seemed to drop down to a lower resolution. so crazy unintuitive.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm probably going to need to get my Macbook Pro replaced, but would rather wait until new ones are released. Are we expecting a Summer or Fall reveal? History indicates Fall, but I don't know if they might just do tech upgrade.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How soon are the new macbook pro retina 15" being released? I'm probably going to need to get my retina replaced, but would rather wait until the newest ones are released.
Likely the same as the last two models. October. Have fun waiting! Don't expect them any sooner. Apple's been doing a more predictable schedule lately. (Which is contrary to how they used to be) Except for a couple machines such as the Mac mini (Which hasn't been updated since 2012?) and the AppleTV (Which has been rumored for a long time now.) and the Mac Pro. (Which only finally got updated in December so who knows if December will be its new schedule.) But the rPro's are very predictable right now. Just like iOS devices and OS X/iOS releases.

Fuchsdh

Likely the same as the last two models. October. Have fun waiting! Don't expect them any sooner. Apple's been doing a more predictable schedule lately. (Which is contrary to how they used to be) Except for a couple machines such as the Mac mini (Which hasn't been updated since 2012?) and the AppleTV (Which has been rumored for a long time now.) and the Mac Pro. (Which only finally got updated in December so who knows if December will be its new schedule.) But the rPro's are very predictable right now. Just like iOS devices and OS X/iOS releases.

Not that I think it's likely, but I did get a kick out of these really nice concepts for a new Apple TV. I doubt right off the bat they'd ever make three colors of it, but personally giving it the same treatment as an iPhone would look pretty cool. (Also, I doubt they'd want their remotes to be confused with iPhones or iPods.)

http://www.martinhajek.com/apple-tv-the-next-generation/

As for the Mac Pro, the delays have largely been due to Intel (possibly even the delays in shipping them out this year). Seeing as Haswell-E is set for Q4 I think a December revision is likely, and wouldn't expect it much earlier.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
All I want from the AppleTV is a damn App Store. If an updated model comes out and there isn't an App Store then I'm just going to get a Roku. I bought the original AppleTV and sold it before they changed to the smaller black model for half it's original price. I'd love to go back but I need specific apps. And I don't want to Jailbreak the damn thing. App Store or no sale. It makes no sense at all that there's no App Store on the ATV. None at all.

Fuchsdh

All I want from the AppleTV is a damn App Store. If an updated model comes out and there isn't an App Store then I'm just going to get a Roku. I bought the original AppleTV and sold it before they changed to the smaller black model for half it's original price. I'd love to go back but I need specific apps. And I don't want to Jailbreak the damn thing. App Store or no sale. It makes no sense at all that there's no App Store on the ATV. None at all.

I've heard this from many people. I'm not trying to be obtuse, but what do you want the app store to do? What specific applications are you looking for?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Plex and AirVideo. Especially since the Plex app on my iPad/iPhone/Mac would be able to talk with the one on the AppleTV. Also a YouTube app, for the same reasons. (Using the YouTube app on iOS can talk to the one on Roku and smart TV's.)

It's ridiculous that there isn't one. Apple pretty much invented the modern App Store and every device they sell has one on it (Sans classic style iPods) except for the AppleTV.

Apple has one more chance. Otherwise a Roku it is. I really just want the AppleTV since it would let me use AirPlay as Roku can't do that. But if I have to go Roku, I will go Roku. (We own a few already) I've expected an App Store update for years now. And every time it's a missed opportunity.

Not to mention that in a fast growing market, one that Apple pretty much created with the original "hobby project" AppleTV, they're the only one that doesn't allow third-party apps. There's dozens of competitors now. Roku, GoogleTV, WD, even many Smart TV's have apps now as well as a few Cable boxes. Why does the AppleTV still exist? Because it can be good for something, but it could be greater if they wanted it to be.

Zutroy

Do the latest batch of retina displays still have bad ghosting? And if not does anyone know if Apple accept it as a 'fault' and replace them? I got the first batch of retina pro's released and it can be pretty bad on mine, but I remembered that I've got the 3 year education Apple care and thought I may as well use it if I can.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Do the latest batch of retina displays still have bad ghosting? And if not does anyone know if Apple accept it as a 'fault' and replace them? I got the first batch of retina pro's released and it can be pretty bad on mine, but I remembered that I've got the 3 year education Apple care and thought I may as well use it if I can.
Not that I've seen on my 15".

Deku Tree

I have a 2012 and I never noticed this ghosting phenomenon on mine. I think they fixed it.

Whats the cheapest I can get an iPad sent to Texas (near Huston if that makes a tax difference)? No idea about cheap shops in the US et al.
There must be cheaper ways than the Apple store?!

Ok. Since I turned on my computer this morning, no text editing programs will work. Pages nor TextEdit. They worked fine yesterday until shut down. Any ideas? On newest version of Mavericks.

EDIT: And Preview as well. I did a search online and they say I need the Base.iProj folder for them to work, and I have them. No clue anymore.

EDIT 2: Nevermind. A second restart fixed it. No clue what happened, but everything is working.

Top Bottom