• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Furyous

Wow that's weird, I have no problems with my rMBP and have been super impressed with how fast it is with Final Cut and After Effects, two super intensive programs.

What Macbook are you using and how much RAM does it have?

What are the opinions on preowned macbooks? I was at a reseller looking today and they had a 2011 15 inch with an i7. Sounded like it was a top of the line one in 2011. It seems like the only thing I'd be missing out on with it is the retina screen, right?

I'm trying to do some reading but I'll be using it for graphic design and it seems like there's some varying opinion on whether you want a retina screen at all for that

I wouldn't trust unless it's through Apple or Amazon. If you go used through Amazon then ask for a serial number and if Applecare is on the device. Contact Apple and verify the serial number. I ask for multiple pictures as well.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, I may take it to an Apple Store tomorrow. And no its just a 4GB rMBP.
They will probably want to send it out for a repair. But since it's a standard configuration, they might possibly just give you a new computer in exchange for your old one.

In any case, make sure to back up your data before you bring your computer to the Apple Store.
Yes, back it up because you will not keep your data if they replace it. And if it gets sent out, you can't be 100% guaranteed that it will come back un-restored. (You never know if they'd end up replacing the whole thing at the service center too. Either way you will lose everything.)

If you don't have an external drive to backup to, definitely buy one when you're out. And then backup before they do any swapping.

kennah

What Macbook are you using and how much RAM does it have?

I wouldn't trust unless it's through Apple or Amazon. If you go used through Amazon then ask for a serial number and if Applecare is on the device. Contact Apple and verify the serial number. I ask for multiple pictures as well.
The 2011 very likely wouldn't have AppleCare ;)
oh god 2011 was three years ago

Hieberrr

I am, for once, considering purchasing a Macbook Pro.

Before I do, I have a few questions though:
- When is the best time to purchase a Macbook Pro?
- How quickly does a model get outdated?
- How quickly does a model become "slow"?
- What are the advantages, both hardware and software, compared to a Windows laptop from other vendors (e.g., Sony, ASUS, etc...)?

Essentially, convince me to buy a Mac LOL.

Thanks!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

- What are the advantages, both hardware and software, compared to a Windows laptop from other vendors (e.g., Sony, ASUS, etc...)?

Thanks!
1: Currently, October
2: Once a year
3: "Slowness" is irrelevant and only as you perceive it. Do you perceive a machine as "slow" because you've seen newer machines that are faster, or do you actually feel it getting slower over time. In the case of the latter, it's because you're filling it with software. MBP's have super fast Flash storage and processors and shouldn't feel slow at all for a heck of a long time.
4: Build quality is lightyears ahead of most Windows machines. OS X is robust and powerful and better than Windows in many ways. Especially deep down inside.

For me it comes down to the software. OS X is extremely advanced and can do things Windows still can't, but most of these things are internal things like API's and how deeply software is able to access the system. It's also very hard to bring down. Plus I like using it whereas Windows doesn't give me that same feeling. I feel like I'm working to use Windows while OS X feels more like play.

But in the end it's all a matter of preference.

Deku Tree

Thanks!

If you are not already convinced, then I don't have anything to add.

Fuchsdh

Thanks!

To add to what other people are saying, if you clean install OS X on your computer again you essentially make it run like a new machine. I tend to wipe my computers every two years or so to clean out programs and files I accumulated but never use. Especially if you stay on your original OS your computer won't feel that old for years, especially if you're just using it for day-to-day tasks.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I tend to wipe my computers every two years or so to clean out programs and files I accumulated but never use.
I don't. But what I do do is reformat, install fresh and migrate from a backup whenever a big update comes out. Also I never install programs that suck. And any that I do I delete right away. Hazel takes care of cleaning out its system files when I delete them. I try to keep it to only what I need.

I've migrated user files since 2001.

I'm also very anal about making sure there's no unknown or superfluous processes running in the background that I don't really need. Any that I find I Google to make sure it's something that's supposed to be there.

Side note, since I switched to Safari and started using the HTML5 extension for video sites I am always in Activity Monitor making sure Flash hasn't been loaded. OCD is a silly thing. Force quitting Flash is like a guilty pleasure. Funny thing is it actually very rarely launches these days.

Deku Tree

I did a clean install of a few months ago, for the first time in many many years. I found Western Digital crapware files on my computer with dates from 1998 on them. I recovered over 35GB of disk space, and I like my computer better now. My computer is so fast already that it was hard to tell whether it got any faster.

kehs

Banned

Thanks!

Red means not right now apparently.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Deku Tree

Red doesn't mean no, Red means a new one might be coming out sometime in the future. Vs green which means a new one just came out.

Expect a MBP refresh in Sept or Oct. if you want to wait that long, then wait. If you buy one now, your still getting a great machine.

If your looking to buy an Air, then Possibly wait if you can since those often get a June refresh.

kehs

Banned
Red doesn't mean no, Red means a new one might be coming out sometime in the future. Vs green which means a new one just came out.

Expect a MBP refresh in Sept or Oct. if you want to wait that long, then wait. If you buy one now, your still getting a great machine.

If your looking to buy an Air, then Possibly wait if you can since those often get a June refresh.

Right, as in wait it out a little bit.

I didn't mean don't buy one ever. I've clarified my initial statement.

Fuchsdh

Really? That sounds terrible.

Not really. Manually migrating my stuff isn't a real timesink since I keep everything in just a few places and have everything I've installed written down. The only reason it's more complicated than it should be is Adobe's applications are scattered across the filesystem. The speed increase to me is worth it—that's why I don't understand people complaining about how their computers feel slow—95% of the time just wiping it will make it feel like a brand-new machine again, no hardware investment required.

aparisi2274

Hey all, have a QQ for anyone who has ever upgraded their mac's...

So, I have a Early 2009 iMac model Core 2 Duo 2.66, and it is finally starting to show its age (getting the spinning beachball A LOT) and so I was thinking it was time to finally update to a newer iMac and my question is this.... If I create a backup of my current iMac using Time Machine, and then I get a new iMac, if I restore that backup to the new machine, does it literally put everything back where it was when it was on the old machine?

I have never had to restore a backup, so I am not sure how it works, but want to make sure it will just put everything back on and I would not have to re-install software that I had on there previously.

Thanks

Deku Tree

Hey all, have a QQ for anyone who has ever upgraded their mac's...

So, I have a Early 2009 iMac model Core 2 Duo 2.66, and it is finally starting to show its age (getting the spinning beachball A LOT) and so I was thinking it was time to finally update to a newer iMac and my question is this.... If I create a backup of my current iMac using Time Machine, and then I get a new iMac, if I restore that backup to the new machine, does it literally put everything back where it was when it was on the old machine?

I have never had to restore a backup, so I am not sure how it works, but want to make sure it will just put everything back on and I would not have to re-install software that I had on there previously.

Thanks

Yes exactly. It's so great. I have done it myself many times.

aparisi2274

Yes exactly. It's so great. I have done it myself many times.

That is awesome!

Thanks for the intel... will make the decision easier.

Oh, here is another question for everyone...

Since the new iMac's do not come with any sort of DVD drive, what is a good model to go with? I keep looking at their superdrive, but the specs seem to be on the slow side for burning DVD's... Anyone have a good recommendation on what to use?

Water

What's showing red is "Macbook Pro", the old obsolete line with optical drives, mechanical hard drives and low resolution displays. The ones still in production aren't worth buying and will probably never get a refresh again. Retina Macbook Pro is the new Macbook Pro, and they are currently yellow (mid-cycle). It's not a bad time to buy, nor an optimal time.

Thanks!

There are two main selling points to Mac products.

1. You get what you pay for and it works just as advertised.
2. The OS environment.

I have always purchased MacBookPros mostly for reason #2. OSX can not really be described in basic simple human words. Either you like it or you hate it. I for one not only love it but I also happen to run a few other operating systems both virtually and off the hd just to have the ultimate system/software administration machine.

Apple products are expensive. They come at a price point that is steep but there is always people willing to buy at that price point so it will always stay relatively higher than the competition.

Purchase a system that meets your needs, do not get more system then you need and you will curb some of that cost. If you are still not convinced to go Apple after some research then don't.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I did a clean install of a few months ago, for the first time in many many years. I found Western Digital crapware files on my computer with dates from 1998 on them. I recovered over 35GB of disk space, and I like my computer better now. My computer is so fast already that it was hard to tell whether it got any faster.
That's why I never ever install the crapware that comes with HDD's. They try to make the user think they're required to use the drive, but you can just throw it away. It's a hard drive. It doesn't need drivers and I prefer to provide my own backup solutions.

lupin23rd

Does anyone know of any decent external 3.5" floppy drives that I could hook up to a Macbook Pro?

Digging through some old junk and found a bunch of disks, kind of interested to see what's on them.

Hieberrr

3: "Slowness" is irrelevant and only as you perceive it. Do you perceive a machine as "slow" because you've seen newer machines that are faster, or do you actually feel it getting slower over time. In the case of the latter, it's because you're filling it with software. MBP's have super fast Flash storage and processors and shouldn't feel slow at all for a heck of a long time.
4: Build quality is lightyears ahead of most Windows machines. OS X is robust and powerful and better than Windows in many ways. Especially deep down inside.

For me it comes down to the software. OS X is extremely advanced and can do things Windows still can't, but most of these things are internal things like API's and how deeply software is able to access the system. It's also very hard to bring down. Plus I like using it whereas Windows doesn't give me that same feeling. I feel like I'm working to use Windows while OS X feels more like play.

If you are not already convinced, then I don't have anything to add.

To add to what other people are saying, if you clean install OS X on your computer again you essentially make it run like a new machine. I tend to wipe my computers every two years or so to clean out programs and files I accumulated but never use. Especially if you stay on your original OS your computer won't feel that old for years, especially if you're just using it for day-to-day tasks.

There are two main selling points to Mac products.

1. You get what you pay for and it works just as advertised.
2. The OS environment.

I have always purchased MacBookPros mostly for reason #2. OSX can not really be described in basic simple human words. Either you like it or you hate it. I for one not only love it but I also happen to run a few other operating systems both virtually and off the hd just to have the ultimate system/software administration machine.

Apple products are expensive. They come at a price point that is steep but there is always people willing to buy at that price point so it will always stay relatively higher than the competition.

Purchase a system that meets your needs, do not get more system then you need and you will curb some of that cost. If you are still not convinced to go Apple after some research then don't.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I've looked more into it and I'm pretty much sold on the rMBP. I'll be saving up from now until Sept/Oct in the hopes of a new one coming out by then.

How hard is it to get one on launch day? Do I have to lineup to get one or will it be as simple as walking in to get one?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I've looked more into it and I'm pretty much sold on the rMBP. I'll be saving up from now until Sept/Oct in the hopes of a new one coming out by then.

How hard is it to get one on launch day? Do I have to lineup to get one or will it be as simple as walking in to get one?
I think launch day problems only happen when it's a huge new design and there might be limited stock. It used to happen all the time but I don't think it's happened in a long time. Except in the case of the Mac Pro recently. Order day one and you can get it fast. But I can't see you having much of a problem walking into a store that day. But don't quote me on that because you never know.

Hieberrr

I think launch day problems only happen when it's a huge new design and there might be limited stock. It used to happen all the time but I don't think it's happened in a long time. Except in the case of the Mac Pro recently. Order day one and you can get it fast. But I can't see you having much of a problem walking into a store that day. But don't quote me on that because you never know.
Sweet!

I guess I only really have one last question. Is AppleCare worth it? If so, when should I purchase it (with the laptop or post purchase)?

mrkgoo

Sweet!

I guess I only really have one last question. Is AppleCare worth it? If so, when should I purchase it (with the laptop or post purchase)?

I've never purchased AppleCare on my previous two MacBook Pro/PowerBook - I figured if anything were to break it would do so within the first year and after that it would hold out long enough that any failure is replace the part myself or just move on to a new computer. Note we don't have official apple stores in NZ so you kind of lose the ability to just waltz in and replace stuff.

But THAT said, I think I will be getting AppleCare for my 20" iMac that I purchased mid last year. It's mostly because it's an entirely sealed unit with no user-serviceable parts. Not to mention AppleCare dropped in price recently for my region.

The extra two years is probably going to pay off for this model.

Apple says there is extra benefit to getting it with your mac but I'm not sure what they exactly are. Maybe longer phone service and having your details ready to go, but nothing super tangible.

Deku Tree

Sweet!

I always buy it on every Mac that I buy. It is a great insurance policy. Apple will literally fix anything on your computer for three whole years at no additional cost to you. I consider it to be a normal part of the cost of the computer.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You can purchase AppleCare within 365 days of purchase of the computer if money is an issue at the time. Apple will email you to remind you after 11 months as long as you don't miss the email like I did with my last Air.

I've personally never had to exercise my right to AppleCare because literally the only times I ever have a problem with a machine is if I don't buy it. It never breaks when I purchase the damn thing.

Surely there must be a named law for that kind of situation.

Hieberrr

I'm torn between the rMBP 13" with a dualcore i5/i7 and the 15" base model with a quad core i7.

I'll mainly use it for work (tons of spreadsheets and documents open at the same time, yhe occasional illuatrator/indesign/photoshop work added on top of having all of that open).

On one hand, I get portability and better battery. On the other hand, I get a killer CPU.

Damn...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm torn between the rMBP 13" with a dualcore i5/i7 and the 15" base model with a quad core i7.

I'll mainly use it for work (tons of spreadsheets and documents open at the same time, yhe occasional illuatrator/indesign/photoshop work added on top of having all of that open).

On one hand, I get portability and better battery. On the other hand, I get a killer CPU.

Damn...
I have the 15" with i7 (High end though) and it gets more than enough battery for my usage. Sometimes I find myself trying to force it to 10% just so I can plug it back in. I use Safari and an extension that makes most internet videos use HTML5 and disable Flash on most sites so it rarely launches. I can also force it to use the iGPU if I need to (Wouldn't be an issue for you anyway) and QuickRes can be used to change from HiDPI to normal resolution in a flash to save video processing if I need to extend it longer.

But since the dGPU is only in the high end, the 13" will be fine if you want to get the i7. It's only dual, but unless you really really need it to be quad and really want the extra 2" just get the 13". I wanted a dGPU and that was pretty much the deciding factor when I bought my machine. Had they kept the dGPU in the 13" model I might have gotten one of those, but since they didn't, I just went all out just to get a machine to last me 3 years at least. And I love it. Fast and awesome. Makes me wonder just what we'll have 3 years from now.

Deku Tree

The 15" is still very thin and portable I have found. If you don't plan on traveling with it all the time, then that is also something to think about.

Blackhead

Redarse
The 15" is still very thin and portable I have found. If you don't plan on traveling with it all the time, then that is also something to think about.
Thin, yes; portable, not really. If you drive to work the 15" is portable enough but if you take transit, bike, or generally move around a lot then best to go with the 13". You'll appreciate the difference in portability even if you're just moving the laptop often around the house from bed to couch to dining table/kitchen

Deku Tree

Thin, yes; portable, not really. If you drive to work the 15" is portable enough but if you take transit, bike, or generally move around a lot then best to go with the 13". You'll appreciate the difference in portability even if you're just moving the laptop often around the house from bed to couch to dining table/kitchen

You're really going to go there? Kinda defeats the power of your argument IMO.

Guys, I lost the boot disk for my 2008 iMac long ago.

I want to sell my machine since I have a MBP now. What is the best way to back up the HD then clear it out while leaving it functional?

Deku Tree

Guys, I lost the boot disk for my 2008 iMac long ago.

I want to sell my machine since I have a MBP now. What is the best way to back up the HD then clear it out while leaving it functional?

Well does your computer run Mavericks? First run Time Machine on you computer. Then wipe the hard drive. Then install Mavericks or the latest OS that your computer will run from a bootable USB. You got to get the OS somehow though. You can get Mavericks for free from Apple.

Water

wut

I find the 13" considerably more convenient, but it's because I carry it all the time, on foot, in a shoulder bag I would carry anyway. Larger shoulder bags do not fit me well, so a larger computer would probably mean switching to carrying a backpack 24/7. If I was carrying in a backpack, there's no question I would have a 15". The weight and volume difference is insignificant.

Most people don't carry their laptops as much as I do, nor do they have these very specific size preferences. The 15" is extremely portable, and should be the go-to option for people who need performance. (Well, I'm now actually seriously considering a PC laptop because of the horrible price and GPU performance ratio on the 15" rMBP, but that's a specialized need again, relevant to very few people other than gamers.)

Damn...

The larger screen and higher resolution of the 15" makes it the better choice for you.

Hieberrr

Seems like everyone is saying 15" :p.

I'm leaning more towards the 15" now with everyone's recommendations. I'm still going to go in and test it out myself to see if I like the feel of it.

Hopefully some news about the next update gets released in the next 2-3 months.

Deku Tree

Seems like everyone is saying 15" :p.

I'm leaning more towards the 15" now with everyone's recommendations. I'm still going to go in and test it out myself to see if I like the feel of it.

Hopefully some news about the next update gets released in the next 2-3 months.

It is the best idea to go in an test them out yourself for sure. No-one knows exactly what you want except you.

The current Mac release schedule predicts a June announcement for the MBA line. And then an October announcement for the rMBP line. *no-one knows what Apple will do next.

Furyous

I just joined the Beta Seed program.

I'm hoping this doesn't brick my machine or run involuntary verification checks.

That is in no way any reference to any illegally installed software because I buy everything through the mac app store. However, I have legacy applications purchased from vendors outside of the mac app store for my snow leopard machine. This machine was incapable of running most 64 bit software anyway.

In any event wish me luck. Watch this brick my machine.

*says a prayer*

undecided

Does anyone know how to get powered USB hubs to work properly with OSX these days? I have tried multiple brands of hubs and all seem to have this same behavior.

Current setup is a retina MBP and a powered USB3 hub that I use like a dock which always has a gigabit ethernet adapter, wd hard drive for time machine, and keyboard/mouse plugged in.

When I unplug the hub's usb cable from the laptop and then plug it back in later, the OS doesn't actually reconnect any of the devices other than the keyboard since they had all remained powered from the hub (it has no power switch)

Well does your computer run Mavericks? First run Time Machine on you computer. Then wipe the hard drive. Then install Mavericks or the latest OS that your computer will run from a bootable USB. You got to get the OS somehow though. You can get Mavericks for free from Apple.

Sweet thanks. I just have Snow Leopard so I guess I have some upgrading to do.

Not to come off as an ass but what deep processes and APIs are you accessing? What's the point of googling processes to see if you feel they're necessary? Do you actually notice a difference? I feel like you're most likely not taxing your machine that much to need to delete individual processes after googling for speed. Is there an impact? It just feels like OCD.

I feel like you're most likely not taxing your machine that much to need to delete individual processes after googling for speed. Is there an impact? It just feels like OCD.

How did you get that from the quoted post? Abed isn't talking about opening Activity Monitor and killing shit that looks funny.

He/she likes that everything is integrated even in third party software, and is writing about the hooks Apple put in the OS to make that happen.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's what I meant yes. I'm not good with the words. What I mean is Apple offers some pretty nice deep API's to developers that even Microsoft doesn't offer. One of my favorite apps, ScreenFlow, offers some features that no Windows screen recorder I've seen yet allows. Even the expensive ones. Because Apple gives access to such deep underpinnings that allow the app to do some really cool stuff.

I dunno. Whatever. Use what you want. I use what feels nice to me.

How did you get that from the quoted post? Abed isn't talking about opening Activity Monitor and killing shit that looks funny.

He/she likes that everything is integrated even in third party software, and is writing about the hooks Apple out in the OS to make that happen.
Completely misread then. I remember people in the old Mac thread bragging about doing that so their machine was fast and never got a response of why. I guess my brain misread it as that.
That's what I meant yes. I'm not good with the words. What I mean is Apple offers some pretty nice deep API's to developers that even Microsoft doesn't offer. One of my favorite apps, ScreenFlow, offers some features that no Windows screen recorder I've seen yet allows. Even the expensive ones. Because Apple gives access to such deep underpinnings that allow the app to do some really cool stuff.

I dunno. Whatever. Use what you want. I use what feels nice to me.
Nah, you wrote it fine I just misread. My headache doesn't seem to be improving my reading comprehension.

Top Bottom