• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Wanting to pick up a new iPad Mini.

Is there any noticeable difference between the Retina Mini and the launch model? Any reason why I absolutely have to go for the newer version? And does iOS7 work OK on the old model or is it gimped and slow like tends to happen with older iPhone models?

The RAM in the original mini is pretty bad as well

Fuchsdh

lol, no. I assumed you were, with your "smell test" and all that

Be a good job if I could get it, I guess, but I'm just a dude on the internet with an opinion. I will believe in the iWatch when I see it, and given that they have thus far focused on a simple development process over creating larger phones at variable screen sizes, I will believe multiple watch SKUs when I see them too. Could be wrong, but I peg my chances at about as good as the alternative.

Furyous

My rMBP arrived yesterday at 3 PM. I have a few impressions after 15 hours:

It was easy to adjust to the machine despite using an 8 year old iMac for the past six years.

I managed to max out the RAM and cause the machine to restart 10 minutes after setup. I had three apps running (garageband, app store, and eight tabs in Chrome) and caused the app to freeze then quit. I imported a breakfast club interview into garageband and basically ripped the audio only to send it to itunes. This does not bode well for the future AT ALL.

The 15 would've been too big for me as I'm struggling to hit the keyboard hard enough.

BATTERY LIFE FUCKING SUCKS on my machine. The first recharge was my fault because I didn't know bluetooth was on. After that, I've barely scratched six hours with 75 percent brightness, torrenting of legal DMCA approved content, 10 tabs open in Safari, and Mail giving notifications on seven email accounts. I've got to treat this device like an iphone and micromanage apps. Is there a way to hit 10 hours on a charge? Battery life sucks but charge time is some Gundam Wing space rainbows new era tech. It's taken me longer to charge an iphone 4 than it does this device.

Why didn't everyone tell me about internet speed? My older computer had slower download speed connected to my 9 year old time machine. Will my speed improve if I buy a new time machine? Speedtest hit 15 MBPS download speeds so I can keep $30 in my pocket lined up for an ethernet adapter.

Apparently, I'm a power user according to research online.

Is there a way to use spaces from Snow Leopard? I love the resolution changes but need a solution that doesn't hurt my eyes.

I'll need another post for gaming.

It's shocking how similar this is to ios. I used an ipad mini retina all of last week and yet a good chunk of those gestures transfer over.

I'll buy a new rMBP this year if they add a discrete GPU and better sync options by purchasing another cloud storage provider. Anyone that's on the fence about an rMBP should get one with enough RAM for their needs.

Why can't I delete stock apps or move them to other folders without creating aliases? I didn't have this problem on Snow Leopard.

Syncing a full iphone takes me less than 10 minutes. It took me an average 45 with the old imac.

Fuchsdh

Is there a way to use spaces from Snow Leopard? I love the resolution changes but need a solution that doesn't hurt my eyes.

Spaces is in Mavericks, folded into Expose and the Dashboard with Mission Control (I miss the good old days when they were separate, but that's another talk for another time.)

Water

I'll buy a new rMBP this year if they add a discrete GPU and better sync options by purchasing another cloud storage provider. Anyone that's on the fence about an rMBP should get one with enough RAM for their needs.
Simply running out of memory due to too-large workload should gradually slow things down as more and more memory contents have to be written to disk. It should not cause a crash. Crashes generally indicate a problem with your software and/or hardware. My first suspect would be Garageband.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Spaces is in Mavericks, folded into Expose and the Dashboard with Mission Control (I miss the good old days when they were separate, but that's another talk for another time.)
I prefer Spaces as they are now. Where each fullscreen app gets it's own. I never ever used spaces when they were the old grid based version. I couldn't for the life of me fit it into my routine. But current spaces are brilliant. I don't even use spaces themselves, just one Desktop space and one for each fullscreen. Window. I love it that way. I wouldn't want it any other way.

I just wish they could remember their locations and always reopen where they were. Like if I have something on the left of the desktop it should reopen there. I guess it's hard to implement that reliably.

Deku Tree

I usually keep like eight "spaces" open with a collection of programs in each depending on their purpose.
I wish the OS was smarter about spaces.
For example after a restart programs like iPhoto and iTunes always end up in the same space when they weren't that way before.
Also often the search box of a program will follow you into a new space randomly for no reason at all.
Little weird things like this sometimes makes spaces annoying.

Fuchsdh

I prefer Spaces as they are now. Where each fullscreen app gets it's own. I never ever used spaces when they were the old grid based version. I couldn't for the life of me fit it into my routine. But current spaces are brilliant. I don't even use spaces themselves, just one Desktop space and one for each fullscreen. Window. I love it that way. I wouldn't want it any other way.

I just wish they could remember their locations and always reopen where they were. Like if I have something on the left of the desktop it should reopen there. I guess it's hard to implement that reliably.

Well Spaces used to have a graphic representation of which space you were in, and as to where windows open I imagine that might've been broken like Mavericks did with a bunch of products (After Effects will only open on one of my monitors no matter if it was closed in the other.)

Water

Once you strip out the obvious and the part leaked stuff, I dunno how much better than guessing he's at.

Regardless I expect that whatever SKUs they have of Apple wearables they won't make screen size the differentiator. After all witness how they've held to the same screen dimensions in the iPhone for so long.
That's not a very useful comparison. First, wearables are different, even more personal devices than phones. It's normal for the same watch to have a smaller and larger model. No matter how much Apple likes prescribing one-size-fits-all solutions to their customers and how much their customers tolerate it, they'll have a very hard sell ahead of them if they try to pretend everyone's wrists and dressing style are identical. On the other hand, in phones sticking to one resolution and aspect ratio isn't mere stubbornness but has a strong concrete benefit in the form of simplifying UI development. It's not clear the same motivation would apply to a hypothetical iWatch at all since it will likely have a very different UI.

Blackhead

Redarse
On the other hand, in phones sticking to one resolution and aspect ratio isn't mere stubbornness but has a strong concrete benefit in the form of simplifying UI development. It's not clear the same motivation would apply to a hypothetical iWatch at all since it will likely have a very different UI.
Mere stubbornness is Apple's decision to not prioritise providing tools for developing multiple/scalable UI layouts. It's going to be another clusterfuck when the large iPhone launches this year.

I wouldn't take it for granted that the iWatch will run third party apps anyway.
Is there a ratio difference between the 13 inch Air and Retina Pro? I know the Air is 16:9 and I really like that.
The 13" Air is 16:10, same as the 13" Pro. The 11" Air is 16:9. I'd prefer 3:2 like the Chrome Pixel

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Mere stubbornness is Apple's decision to not prioritise providing tools for developing multiple/scalable UI layouts. It's going to be another clusterfuck when the large iPhone launches this year.
The thing is Xcode has plenty of tools and support for making apps scale resolution wise. But they don't use it for iOS development. Probably to prevent the problem they pointed out when they released the iPad. "Phone apps on a tablet". They probably don't want devs taking shortcuts and releasing quick iPad updates that are just the phone app scaled up.

But I think if they were to open it up and guide developers it could be done right.

Martal

Neo Member
Need some advice guys. The story is that I've been using my white MacBook for nigh 7 years now. It still performs its function, but its just gotten a bit slow, the screen (13") is a bit small nowadays, the harddrive space is very small nowadays (70gb) and so on.
So needless to say Im looking for something else.
I was browsing a forum and some guy is selling an old MacBook Pro, model number A1229.
Its about as old as my current mac but he's offering it dirt cheap (under 200€). Am I a crazy person for even considering this or would that MacBook Pro serve me fine as a home laptop that I can do my work (which is 100% web browsing and word processing) on?

Deku Tree

Need some advice guys. The story is that I've been using my white MacBook for nigh 7 years now. It still performs its function, but its just gotten a bit slow, the screen (13") is a bit small nowadays, the harddrive space is very small nowadays (70gb) and so on.
So needless to say Im looking for something else.
I was browsing a forum and some guy is selling an old MacBook Pro, model number A1229.
Its about as old as my current mac but he's offering it dirt cheap (under 200€). Am I a crazy person for even considering this or would that MacBook Pro serve me fine as a home laptop that I can do my work (which is 100% web browsing and word processing) on?

What year is it? Ie is it a Late 2011? Or a Mid 2012?

Deku Tree

Sorry I thought model number would suffice.
According to that its mid-late 2007 (!) , exact link - http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...k-pro-core-2-duo-2.4-17-santa-rosa-specs.html

How much does he want? That thing is gonna be slow as dirt compared to a modern machine. And it will be prone to breaking since it is so old. I wouldn't pay very much for it.

EDIT: IMO, under 200 Euros for that antique is NOT dirt cheap it's highway robbery. I wouldn't pay more than 50 for it myself.

Martal

Neo Member
Like I said in the original post, its less than 200€.
Also bear in mind that I am currently using a white Macbook from basically the same year of production so Im not expecting lightning fast performance. I just want to confirm if I might expect that same kind of reliability from that MacBook Pro that I have experienced with my own MacBook.

Deku Tree

Like I said in the original post, its less than 200€.
Also bear in mind that I am currently using a white Macbook from basically the same year of production so Im not expecting lightning fast performance. I just want to confirm if I might expect that same kind of reliability from that MacBook Pro that I have experienced with my own MacBook.

Did you see this?

EDIT: IMO, under 200 Euros for that antique is NOT dirt cheap it's highway robbery. I wouldn't pay more than 50 for it myself.

There is no reason to expect that machine will be more reliable than your current machine. They will both be just as prone to break. The other machine perhaps more so because you don't know what conditions it's been under.

Water

Wha? My engineer sensibilities are offended by the inelegance and (theoretical) inferiority of their resolution solution, but I'm not gonna say it doesn't work for them - it's exactly what keeps their app offering from becoming a clusterfuck in the face of lazy devs.

Welp caved and bought a 15'' MBP. Got it set up last night and finally got everything updated.

Now time to install my dev stuffs :)

Question about VM Ware Fusion if you guys know, can I run Linux on it too? Or just Windows?

SonnyBoy

13" or 15"? Do you plan on doing any gaming or otherwise need a GPU?

No, I don't plan on gaming on it. Historically I'm a console-gamer exclusively. If it could run the original Crysis at a decent rate, I'd be happy.

I'm assuming the refresh will see an improved GPU?

Water

No, I don't plan on gaming on it. Historically I'm a console-gamer exclusively. If it could run the original Crysis at a decent rate, I'd be happy.

I'm assuming the refresh will see an improved GPU?

Original Crysis still requires a decent GPU. :)

The GPUs across the MBP range are wildly different from each other, and the next updates that happen aren't going to have equal effect on them either. That's why I asked whether you're thinking about the 13" or the 15".

Then my guesses of what will happen.

• The 13"'s GPU may improve slightly and still be crap, or (small chance) it might get the same weak but passable GPU as on the low end 15".
  • The low end 15"'s weak GPU might stay put, because it's already the best Intel has to offer. Intel could bump it a bit with something unannounced, but I give it a small chance that any really significant improvement would happen. The possibility that Apple would "go back" to putting good Nvidia GPUs on the low-end 15" is almost nonexistent; they hate GPUs and that's it.
  • Because Nvidia's GPU tech has improved steadily as always, there's no reason why the high end 15" wouldn't get a nice new GPU. Performance will improve considerably, battery life at least decently.

I wasn't sure where to ask. How do I get the GPS on the iPhone to have the directions in the form of a psuedo 3D mode? You know how your view is that of behind the arrow?

SonnyBoy

Original Crysis still requires a decent GPU. :)

The GPUs across the MBP range are wildly different from each other, and the next updates that happen aren't going to have equal effect on them either. That's why I asked whether you're thinking about the 13" or the 15".

Then my guesses of what will happen.

• The 13"'s GPU may improve slightly and still be crap, or (small chance) it might get the same weak but passable GPU as on the low end 15".
  • The low end 15"'s weak GPU might stay put, because it's already the best Intel has to offer. Intel could bump it a bit with something unannounced, but I give it a small chance that any really significant improvement would happen. The possibility that Apple would "go back" to putting good Nvidia GPUs on the low-end 15" is almost nonexistent; they hate GPUs and that's it.
  • Because Nvidia's GPU tech has improved steadily as always, there's no reason why the high end 15" wouldn't get a nice new GPU. Performance will improve considerably, battery life at least decently.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I plan on getting the 13 inch model. 2.4 GHZ, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD.

I think the gist of what you're saying is, I wont be disappointed in June if I purchase one today. lol

Water

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I plan on getting the 13 inch model. 2.4 GHZ, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD.

I think the gist of what you're saying is, I wont be disappointed in June if I purchase one today. lol
If you need one, buy one. If you don't need one, I'd personally wait. I think the probability of any large update is at a very low point, as is chance of disappointment, but they'll improve something even if it's just the price (or effective price, e.g. adding memory at the same price).

Best (worst?) case, they'll update it with a quadcore CPU and an Iris Pro integrated GPU that aren't as fast as those low-end 15".

Blackhead

Redarse
The thing is Xcode has plenty of tools and support for making apps scale resolution wise. But they don't use it for iOS development. Probably to prevent the problem they pointed out when they released the iPad. "Phone apps on a tablet". They probably don't want devs taking shortcuts and releasing quick iPad updates that are just the phone app scaled up.

But I think if they were to open it up and guide developers it could be done right.

Wha? My engineer sensibilities are offended by the inelegance and (theoretical) inferiority of their resolution solution, but I'm not gonna say it doesn't work for them - it's exactly what keeps their app offering from becoming a clusterfuck in the face of lazy devs.

No it's not. And even if it started to become a trend, Apple controls the app distribution and could place restrictions on that type of development as they've done in the past.

After a week with my Macbook Pro I have to say... Apple still impresses me.

I had a 2009 Macbook Pro after a graphics card failure I moved on to thinkpads. It is quite nice to be back in the OSX ecosystem. All I can say is that the transition from Linux to OSX was flawless and that I have had nothing but positive things to say so far. I am aware the honeymoon phase is still on but my god what a machine.

15" MBP Retina
16 gigs of Ram
Dedicated graphics card

All this is amazeballs.

Deku Tree

After a week with my Macbook Pro I have to say... Apple still impresses me.

I had a 2009 Macbook Pro after a graphics card failure I moved on to thinkpads. It is quite nice to be back in the OSX ecosystem. All I can say is that the transition from Linux to OSX was flawless and that I have had nothing but positive things to say so far. I am aware the honeymoon phase is still on but my god what a machine.

15" MBP Retina
16 gigs of Ram
Dedicated graphics card

All this is amazeballs.

Yup

When I went to pick it up, the Apple associate asked what I was going to be doing with it. I explained I was going to watch netflix with it. I think he died inside.

It is actually going to be used mostly for Administration tasks but I wanted something that was snappy and could last a long time.

Deku Tree

When I went to pick it up, the Apple associate asked what I was going to be doing with it. I explained I was going to watch netflix with it. I think he died inside.

It is actually going to be used mostly for Administration tasks but I wanted something that was snappy and could last a long time.

HAHA. It is a great computer. I have the top spec'd 2012 version. It is so fast, even with all my programs running, and tons of things plugged into it. Love it.

My rMBP arrived yesterday at 3 PM. I have a few impressions after 15 hours:

It was easy to adjust to the machine despite using an 8 year old iMac for the past six years.

I managed to max out the RAM and cause the machine to restart 10 minutes after setup. I had three apps running (garageband, app store, and eight tabs in Chrome) and caused the app to freeze then quit. I imported a breakfast club interview into garageband and basically ripped the audio only to send it to itunes. This does not bode well for the future AT ALL.

The 15 would've been too big for me as I'm struggling to hit the keyboard hard enough.

BATTERY LIFE FUCKING SUCKS on my machine. The first recharge was my fault because I didn't know bluetooth was on. After that, I've barely scratched six hours with 75 percent brightness, torrenting of legal DMCA approved content, 10 tabs open in Safari, and Mail giving notifications on seven email accounts. I've got to treat this device like an iphone and micromanage apps. Is there a way to hit 10 hours on a charge? Battery life sucks but charge time is some Gundam Wing space rainbows new era tech. It's taken me longer to charge an iphone 4 than it does this device.

Why didn't everyone tell me about internet speed? My older computer had slower download speed connected to my 9 year old time machine. Will my speed improve if I buy a new time machine? Speedtest hit 15 MBPS download speeds so I can keep $30 in my pocket lined up for an ethernet adapter.

Apparently, I'm a power user according to research online.

I'll need another post for gaming.

It's shocking how similar this is to ios. I used an ipad mini retina all of last week and yet a good chunk of those gestures transfer over.

Why can't I delete stock apps or move them to other folders without creating aliases? I didn't have this problem on Snow Leopard.

Syncing a full iphone takes me less than 10 minutes. It took me an average 45 with the old imac.

Wow that's weird, I have no problems with my rMBP and have been super impressed with how fast it is with Final Cut and After Effects, two super intensive programs.

Guys I need Help. My retina MBP don´t turn off properly since yesterday and I have to force shut down every time I turn it off.

I have tried everything ( ONYX, disk utilities etc...) but the problem persists. Any tips?

Deku Tree

Guys I need Help. My retina MBP don´t turn off properly since yesterday and I have to force shut down every time I turn it off.

I have tried everything ( ONYX, disk utilities etc...) but the problem persists. Any tips?

Take it to the Genius Bar of an Apple Store? If you have AppleCare, then call Apple for Tech Support?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Have you installed anything since? Maybe try using the Recovery Partition to reinstall fresh and Migrate from a backup. (Make a backup first of course, providing you have a spare HDD)

Anything in the Console.app? If you try LOGGING OUT first, then reboot/shutdown from the login screen, tell us if it takes a long time A) to log out from the desktop or B) to actually shut down, but logging out goes fast. This will tell us if the problem is systemwide or user-related.

Have you installed anything since? Maybe try using the Recovery Partition to reinstall fresh and Migrate from a backup. (Make a backup first of course, providing you have a spare HDD)

Anything in the Console.app? If you try LOGGING OUT first, then reboot/shutdown from the login screen, tell us if it takes a long time A) to log out from the desktop or B) to actually shut down, but logging out goes fast. This will tell us if the problem is systemwide or user-related.

I´ve been chatting with Apple Support and after a few steps. ( Deleting cache, launch agents, restarting de PRAM and SMC ) still the same.

I have a case number, so I´ll contact them tomorrow again and see what they tell me. I´ll keep you guys informed.Thanks for the help.

Deku Tree

I´ve been chatting with Apple Support and after a few steps. ( Deleting cache, launch agents, restarting de PRAM and SMC ) still the same.

I have a case number, so I´ll contact them tomorrow again and see what they tell me. I´ll keep you guys informed.Thanks for the help.

Good to hear that you are getting help. In the worst cases, they will repair your computer (or send you a new one or a refurb) for free if you have AppleCare.

Deku Tree

I don´t but my machine its new ( less than 90 days ). Can I still buy an AppleCare?

Yes I believe you can still buy AppleCare. It is worth it. (I don't know all the rules myself, so it would be better to call Apple and ask them yourself.) But I do believe they let you buy AppleCare as long as you are still within a year of purchase or still within the warranty period or something like that.

AppleCare gives you a full warranty for three years.

Anyway since your computer is so new, you still have a full warranty right now.

I logged out before I shut down the system and it went well at the first attempt. Then I tried to log out again and it got stuck on the same grey screen as it does when I just shut it down directly.

This says something to you guys?

Deku Tree

I logged out before I shut down the system and it went well at the first attempt. Then I tried to log out again and it got stuck on the same grey screen as it does when I just shut it down directly.

This says something to you guys?

If tech support can't help you, I would call up and ask for a repair or a new machine. Or do it at an Apple Store. Is your computer a custom configuration?

Deku Tree

Yeah, I may take it to an Apple Store tomorrow. And no its just a 4GB rMBP.

They will probably want to send it out for a repair. But since it's a standard configuration, they might possibly just give you a new computer in exchange for your old one.

In any case, make sure to back up your data before you bring your computer to the Apple Store.

Kyou

What are the opinions on preowned macbooks? I was at a reseller looking today and they had a 2011 15 inch with an i7. Sounded like it was a top of the line one in 2011. It seems like the only thing I'd be missing out on with it is the retina screen, right?

I'm trying to do some reading but I'll be using it for graphic design and it seems like there's some varying opinion on whether you want a retina screen at all for that

Top Bottom