• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Fuchsdh

Hey mac gaf, does anybody know where I can find a cheap charger for my mid 2012 13" MBP? The Apple charger is dreadful and just recently crapped out on me. I really, really don't want to pay 80 bucks for another piece of crap, and honestly need a replacement very soon.

Define "dreadful". You can find third party chargers for cheap but the chances they'll fail, fry, or catch fire increases dramatically.

Furyous

http://www.twelvesouth.com/product/surfacepad-for-macbook

Amazon might have a cheaper knockoff.

I never really felt like I was missing something for not having one of those personally.

Thanks for the recommendation. I bought the red version that's for the macbook air. The only weird thing is the edges stick over the device. The macbook air 13 is smaller so technically it should fit in a shorter length on the device. I have a Kuzy keyboard cover that I had to take off and place on top of the red cover. It feels good not to be constantly scared of scarring the device.

I still saved money over buying the colorware version with all the upgrades and I still haven't purchased a dock or viidock.

jerry1594

Define "dreadful". You can find third party chargers for cheap but the chances they'll fail, fry, or catch fire increases dramatically.
Judging by the 1.5 star rating on the apple website, the cable attached to the transformer is very susceptible to breaking (I think this is true for all their chargers). Honestly, I just need a charger soon and I don't care if it blows up Monday as long as it lasts me the week.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've never had problems with my chargers. Especially MagSafe ones. Except for the cable cover fraying, but electrical tape fixes that. I wouldn't dare trust a third-party model.

I do hate that they don't cover the fraying though. It's bullshit and completely their fault that they stopped using stress reducers on their cables to make them look nicer. They should cover this shit. It happens to all their cables. MacBook chargers, iPhone cables of all types in the past few years. I have a cable from a 2G iPod that still has perfect cables that I used on my iPhone 4S for a year after my newer one frayed. It still has the squeeze buttons on the sides of the connector that they stopped using years ago.

The Apple chargers need more strain relief than they come with given the way most people abuse them. The cable itself should encourage the best way to coil it and it doesn't.

EmiPrime

Looks like I will be putting in the order for the 21" iMac this week!

Is it worth getting a display port to HDMI dongle for my old 768p LCD TV? I might use it as a second monitor in the interim just for watching internet video if the picture quality will be okay.

ProfessorX

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like I will be putting in the order for the 21" iMac this week!

Is it worth getting a display port to HDMI dongle for my old 768p LCD TV? I might use it as a second monitor in the interim just for watching internet video if the picture quality will be okay.

You can probably buy one on Amazon for like five bucks. That way it's not a big risk. Just be careful that it does everything you want, and that it has good reviews.

EmiPrime

You can probably buy one on Amazon for like five bucks. That way it's not a big risk. Just be careful that it does everything you want, and that it has good reviews.

All of them have some one star reviews with people complaining about them crapping out after a couple of months. Guess I'll just get the cheapest and hope for the best!

Mini rant:

The iMac is close to being my perfect computer but they really messed up in some key areas. Like why doesn't either model but especially the 27" have a HDMI input? What's the point in reducing the thinness if there's just going to be a bump at the back anyway? Nobody carries their iMac around with them so why does it matter how much volume it takes up? I'd rather have had more GPU options, a Bluray drive (not having one defeats the point of an AIO) and the ability to upgrade the RAM myself on the 21". Apple's margins on SSD upgrades are pretty crazy too as I don't trust this "fusion drive" tech.

Two steps forward, one step back compared to previous models but I will be happy with it when it arrives.

ProfessorX

Unconfirmed Member
All of them have some one star reviews with people complaining about them crapping out after a couple of months. Guess I'll just get the cheapest and hope for the best!

Mini rant:

The iMac is close to being my perfect computer but they really messed up in some key areas. Like why doesn't either model but especially the 27" have a HDMI input? What's the point in reducing the thinness if there's just going to be a bump at the back anyway? Nobody carries their iMac around with them so why does it matter how much volume it takes up? I'd rather have had more GPU options, a Bluray drive (not having one defeats the point of an AIO) and the ability to upgrade the RAM myself on the 21". Apple's margins on SSD upgrades are pretty crazy too as I don't trust this "fusion drive" tech.

Two steps forward, one step back compared to previous models but I will be happy with it when it arrives.

Many many things on Amazon have some one star reviews.

Water

I have bought mDP-HDMI and mDP-DVI adapters/cables from Dealextreme at maybe 1/3 of Apple's price. They were cheap and still work well. If I recall correctly, I bought another pair of adapters from there way back where one of the adapters didn't work, but their service was no hassle. I just shot a couple of seconds of video on a cellphone where I plug the adapter in and the screen goes blank, wrote a few words description, and sent that in via e-mail; a new working adapter arrived in a couple of days.
Mini rant:

Because it's more important that Jony Ive likes looking at your computer than that you like using it. Jony Ive likes looking at things that are thin, even if they are intended to be viewed directly from the front, and he also likes looking at things that are light regardless of whether they will ever be carried. Any questions?

ProfessorX

Unconfirmed Member
Why should apple put a low resolution HDMI port on the back of their computer? If you need that you can buy an inexpensive adaptor. If you want to plug a high res monitor into your iMac then you should be using MiniDisplay port or TB.

EmiPrime

Many many things on Amazon have some one star reviews.

Sure but I mean the cheapest boxes/cables have the same ratings spread and failures as the most expensive ones.

Because it's more important that Jony Ive likes looking at your computer than that you like using it. Jony Ive likes looking at things that are thin, even if they are intended to be viewed directly from the front, and he also likes looking at things that are light regardless of whether they will ever be carried. Any questions?

It really is daft; Apple's attitude towards Bluray and GPUs is quite frustrating. Ditch the optical drives and use Intel graphics in laptops by all means but why compromise on these two things in a desktop?

Why should apple put a low resolution HDMI port on the back of their computer? If you need that you can buy an inexpensive adaptor. If you want to plug a high res monitor into your iMac then you should be using MiniDisplay port or TB.

So that I can plug in a games console or re-purpose the iMac as a second monitor when I get a new one.

Works a treat.

I'm just afraid that only one part needs to fail for all the data to irretrievable. Unless someone has some first hand experience splitting the fusion drive into two independent drives I will just order the 256GB SSD to be on the safe side.

Unless someone has some first hand experience splitting the fusion drive into two independent drives I will just order the 256GB SSD to be on the safe side.

If CoreStorage has the ability to remove a physical disk from a volume (as its analogue in Linux does (LVM)), then you can probably remove the SSD from a Fusion Drive non-destructively— but only while it's working. Once a physical disk in a CoreStorage volume breaks you're SOL, since the data is tiered at the block level. That said, SSD reliability is much greater than HDD, so SSD+HDD is only slightly worse than HDD alone.

If only there was a way to do reliable automatic backups...

Edit: you can also nuke a Fusion Drive and use the SSD + HDD separately if you want to manage things yourself. It's straight forward to move your home folder off the boot volume should you wish to do this (my Mac Pro is set up this way).

Fuchsdh

It really is daft; Apple's attitude towards Bluray and GPUs is quite frustrating. Ditch the optical drives and use Intel graphics in laptops by all means but why compromise on these two things in a desktop?

I think Apple's been proven right on Blu-Ray, actually. They were certainly right that it was stupid before they simplified the licenses, and since then it's become pretty clear that optical distribution is dying and dying fast (witness the permanent loss Sony's saying they'll take by never seeing their money back on Blu-Ray.)

Apple generally rips off the band-aid a few years earlier than everyone else, but I wouldn't say it's ever been the wrong call.

EmiPrime

Edit: you can also nuke a Fusion Drive and use the SSD + HDD separately if you want to manage things yourself. It's straight forward to move your home folder off the boot volume should you wish to do this (my Mac Pro is set up this way).

I am looking into this now but there aren't many first hand accounts which makes me a bit nervous. Being able to split the SSD into two 64GB partitions for OS X and Windows 8 installations and for the 1TB HDD to be also be split in two (HFS+ and exFAT?) would be pretty handy.

I think Apple's been proven right on Blu-Ray, actually. They were certainly right that it was stupid before they simplified the licenses, and since then it's become pretty clear that optical distribution is dying and dying fast (witness the permanent loss Sony's saying they'll take by never seeing their money back on Blu-Ray.)

Apple generally rips off the band-aid a few years earlier than everyone else, but I wouldn't say it's ever been the wrong call.

I still have a lot of files on CD and DVD and I would love the option to archive things to Bluray. I am a language student too and every new textbook I get comes with an audio CD. My need for an optical drive is completely unrelated to movies. As it stands I'll get a cheap external Samsung thing for around £50 but I would have much preferred my AIO to be AIO. I am not alone on this as the few people I know who have bought a new iMac have also bought one of Apple's overpriced external Superdrives at the same time.

ProfessorX

Unconfirmed Member
I like thin. And I have very little need for an optical drive. Any time I get a disk, I immediately copy it onto a HDD or an SSD and then get rid of it anyway.

I think the vast majority of people are happy with Apple's sending the optical drives into external peripheral status.

But as with any decision like that, some people aren't going to like it.

I am looking into this now but there aren't many first hand accounts which makes me a bit nervous. Being able to split the SSD into two 64GB partitions for OS X and Windows 8 installations and for the 1TB HDD to be also be split in two (HFS+ and exFAT?) would be pretty handy.

Make a Mac boot disk on a USB device or SD card (slow as shit), boot off it, fire up the terminal and nuke the CoreStorage volume. Format the two physical disks in Disk Utility (maybe make the SSD one HFS+ volume then use Boot Camp to make the Windows partition— I have no experience here), then install OS X on the HFS+ partition. HFS+ and ExFAT make sense to me. Don't know if there is a reason to not go full ExFAT, since the Mac can use it natively. Many Mac apps claim to only like the bog standard case insensitive HFS+ though.

If you really want I can screen cast making and breaking a Fusion Drive, I have the spare disks and cables for it.

---

Since some people were talking about power adaptors: iPad charger teardown: inside Apple's charger and a risky phony.

EmiPrime

Make a Mac boot disk on a USB device or SD card (slow as shit), boot off it, fire up the terminal and nuke the CoreStorage volume. Format the two physical disks in Disk Utility (maybe make the SSD one HFS+ volume then use Boot Camp to make the Windows partition— I have no experience here), then install OS X on the HFS+ partition. HFS+ and ExFAT make sense to me. Don't know if there is a reason to not go full ExFAT, since the Mac can use it natively. Many Mac apps claim to only like the bog standard case insensitive HFS+ though.

If you really want I can screen cast making and breaking a Fusion Drive, I have the spare disks and cables for it.

---

Since some people were talking about power adaptors: iPad charger teardown: inside Apple's charger and a risky phony.

If I have understood correctly the steps I will need to take are:

1. Boot up my new Mac, plug in my old Mac's HDD and use migration tool to get everything off it.

2. Format that old HDD and use SuperDuper to clone my new Mac's Fusion Drive. Maybe make a second clone on another HDD just to be safe.

3. Boot into recovery mode or from my new clone and delete the corestorage volume using terminal.

4. Use my clone to shift all the system guff to the SSD, iTunes, photos etc to the HDD.

5. Restart and boot into the internal drive.

6. Run boot camp utility and install Windows 8, splitting the SSD in half.

Thank you for the offer of the screen cast, I will let you know if I run into any problems if indeed I give this a go! To be honest I am questioning why I should install Windows 8 at all given I have used Boot Camp maybe a couple times a year since it became possible but maybe with SSD boot times I will be more inclined to use it.

Yeah, that could work. Certainly the best way to not confuse Migration Assistant, which IIRC, will try to move all your stuff onto the root filesystem (the SSD after you break the Fusion Drive).

FWIW, I always use the included command line program ditto to copy home folders to their new location. Historical inertia, I think.

Water

I haven't used optical drives in more than a decade now. I get that they are still of interest to many people, but at least they can be added as peripherals and you only lose a clean desk, not functionality.
Regarding GPUs, as I've said before on this thread, I simultaneously agree with you (Apple should offer at least one desktop with GPUs that are neither terrible nor overpriced) but it would also be an improvement over status quo if they offered both the 21" and 27" iMac with Intel HD graphics at the low end. In effect, stop it with the window dressing GPUs that inflate the iMac's cost while still having unacceptable realtime 3D performance. The only reason I can see why they don't have HD graphics at the low end is that they want to bullshit their less informed customers into believing they are getting a decent GPU. Just offer HD graphics - 860m - 880m and nothing else.

Better yet, separate iMac into two computers, one of which has performance, ergonomics and a non-terrible cost to performance ratio, and one that Ive can screw up as much as he wants.
I'm just afraid that only one part needs to fail for all the data to irretrievable. Unless someone has some first hand experience splitting the fusion drive into two independent drives I will just order the 256GB SSD to be on the safe side.
Same here. If I was buying for myself I'd always get pure SSD and have huge storage separate if it's needed at all.

ProfessorX

Unconfirmed Member
Use TimeMachine backups if you are worried about drive failure. No reason why using a fusion drive changes that. IMO everyone should be making regular backups regardless.

The only reason I haven't used a Fusion Drive in the proscribed way in my Mac Pro is agility-- I upgrade disks every few years and it is already a pain in the ass to shuffle everything around. It only took me 30 minutes to completely change to a 240GB SSD from a 120GB one on the weekend since I just had to do a single clone operation.

I may yet make one for my Aperture library though, the speed is so tempting.

Good backups make the two disk reliability concerns go away.

EmiPrime

Use TimeMachine backups if you are worried about drive failure. No reason why using a fusion drive changes that. IMO everyone should be making regular backups regardless.

I make bootable clone backups and use Dropbox and Google Drive. Despite all that, cracking open an iMac to replace a dead HDD is not my idea of fun.

ProfessorX

Unconfirmed Member
I make bootable clone backups and use Dropbox and Google Drive. Despite all that, cracking open an iMac to replace a dead HDD is not my idea of fun.

But you wouldn't mind cracking open an iMac to replace a disk drive? Seriously, Apple uses high quality parts. It seems like there is a good chance your HDD would last a good long while.

I would love to see a new AirPort Extreme soon.

Right when the current 802.11ac model launched, the wireless chipset manufacturers were coming out with second-generation ac parts that should offer notable improvements over the current model.

And more than anything, I want USB 3.0 for the AirPort disk. I'm ready to go completely SSD and put in a 1TB SSD for my NAS storage, but the USB 2.0 bottleneck currently makes it non-sensical.

It's surprising how much transfer speeds of the AirPort Disk has improved, however, just from the faster wireless signal and likely a faster processor.

But you wouldn't mind cracking open an iMac to replace a disk drive? Seriously, Apple uses high quality parts. It seems like there is a good chance your HDD would last a good long while.

Apple uses off the shelf HDDs, there's no magic applesauce that increases the MTBF for the drives they use than Dell or HP uses for OEM parts, which are the same drives one can buy from Joe's Olde Computer Shoppe.

Well, you're using two disks where one could suffice. That means the reliability of your drive is only as good as the failure rate of one or the other over time.

I know that the volume fails if one component drive fails; what EmiPrime said was "I don't want to have to take the iMac apart to replace the HDD"; given that the HDD can fail whether it is part of a Fusion Drive or not, does being in a Fusion Drive make a drive die sooner? Certainly the tiering operation once the SSD is full will do more writes than simply writing the data to the HDD and leaving it there, but is it meaningful? HDD life is such a crapshoot that it doesn't matter to me, but I'm blessed with not having an iMac.

Loomba

Anyone know when the next MacBook Pro is going to be out? I have a Macbook from 2006 and the battery crapped out on it, bought a replacement and that pretty much failed too.

Fuchsdh

Anyone know when the next MacBook Pro is going to be out? I have a Macbook from 2006 and the battery crapped out on it, bought a replacement and that pretty much failed too.

With one exception in the last five years, Apple has always shipped new notebooks in February, June, or October. The last rev was in October so I'm inclined to think that'll be the ticket this time. They've got other stuff to update at WWDC if they so choose.

Pachimari

Hmm, should I be worried? My macbook air from 2011 says I should being it in for service when I look at the battery status.

Is it about to die on me?

When Broadwell hits, which I have a feeling Apple will be able to get access to before the holidays.

We might have a small spec bump/price drop sooner, but it's not going to be anything notable.

mrkgoo

Hmm, should I be worried? My macbook air from 2011 says I should being it in for service when I look at the battery status.

Nah just means the battery is on it's way out. Like it can't hold a charge any more. I was going to say just replace the battery, but I'm yeah.

Pretty sure apple do battery replacements at the cost of a battery, but it just sucks it takes time to do it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Take it in. Yes. Eventually you'll have problems using it away from power. My 2012 did the same thing. It'll cost about $200 or so to replace I believe. Is it still under AppleCare?

Bold One

Hey gang I need some assistance and I didnt want to make a whole new thread,

I am looking to get into some video editing very soon and could use some advice on the best but affordable laptop nothing over 1000 pounds sterling.

any ideas?

I am open to macbooks if I could find affordable deals

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think I have to ignore it for a while. I don't have the funds at the moment.
Call and see what your options are. And save up in the mean time. Find out what the price would cost and decide from there.

Hey gang I need some assistance and I didnt want to make a whole new thread,

I am looking to get into some video editing very soon and could use some advice on the best but affordable laptop nothing over 1000 pounds sterling.

any ideas?

I am open to macbooks if I could find affordable deals
I'm not sure how much the lowest 13" Air costs in Pounds, but it's pretty damn powerful for what you'd need it for. Check Apple.com for some refurbished ones.

Bold One

Call and see what your options are. And save up in the mean time. Find out what the price would cost and decide from there.

I'm not sure how much the lowest 13" Air costs in Pounds, but it's pretty damn powerful for what you'd need it for. Check Apple.com for some refurbished ones.

thank you

though, not sure 13" is ideal for video editing

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
thank you

though, not sure 13" is ideal for video editing
Unfortunately if you want 15" you're gonna be spending a pretty penny. 13" could be fine for light on the go editing and you could use an external display when at home maybe?

Which software for editing?

Wait, do they use pennies over there? A pretty pence maybe? Lots of pounds.

Bold One

Unfortunately if you want 15" you're gonna be spending a pretty penny. 13" could be fine for light on the go editing and you could use an external display when at home maybe?

Which software for editing?

Wait, do they use pennies over there? A pretty pence maybe? Lots of pounds.

pence lol

macbook pros dont have optical drives do they?

thinking I might have to opt for a lenovo of equal strength at half the price.

ProfessorX

Unconfirmed Member
pence lol

macbook pros dont have optical drives do they?

thinking I might have to opt for a lenovo of equal strength at half the price.

Nope, Apple got rid of the optical drive a while ago when they introduced the rMBP.

I would love to see the detailed spec and price comparison between the Apple and the lenovo.

Apple doesn't make the super inexpensive low end laptops, sure.

but people always say that Mac's are overpriced compared to cheaper alternatives with similar power etc. it is easy to notice that Apple includes a PCIe SSD tax. But otherwise I'm unaware of the "half the price" facts.

which lenovo model at which price point are you comparing to which Mac? I'm curious.

Water

but people always say that Mac's are overpriced compared to cheaper alternatives with similar power etc. it is easy to notice that Apple includes a PCIe SSD tax. But otherwise I'm unaware of the "half the price" facts.
He didn't say he can get equivalent hardware at half price, just "equal strength", which is pretty much correct. You can get equivalent raw performance at half the price. The obvious exception is you don't can't get an equally fast SSD, but then, most people don't care enough about the extra +50% speed to pay for it. Of course there's plenty of downsides to that half-price computer vs the MBP, and the MBP provides a not insignificant amount of value for that price difference.

I personally feel the low-end 15" MBP price is overinflated. When it lost the discrete GPU and became weaker than the previous low-end 15", the price should have dropped to about $1800. That's a price where - if I needed that specific kind of configuration - I would feel it's a fair deal, whereas at $1700 it would be very good value and at $1600 a steal. Looking at the competition objectively, the $2k price is not totally out of line, though. Just stretched about as high as it can go.

ProfessorX

Unconfirmed Member
He didn't say he can get equivalent hardware at half price, just "equal strength", which is pretty much correct. You can get equivalent raw performance at half the price. The obvious exception is you don't can't get an equally fast SSD, but then, most people don't care enough about the extra +50% speed to pay for it. Of course there's plenty of downsides to that half-price computer vs the MBP, and the MBP provides a not insignificant amount of value for that price difference.

I personally feel the low-end 15" MBP price is overinflated. When it lost the discrete GPU and became weaker than the previous low-end 15", the price should have dropped to about $1800. That's a price where - if I needed that specific kind of configuration - I would feel it's a fair deal, whereas at $1700 it would be very good value and at $1600 a steal. Looking at the competition objectively, the $2k price is not totally out of line, though. Just stretched about as high as it can go.

Apple feels the need to have a $200 gap between the price of the stock high end 13" and the stock low end 15" rMBP.

Water

Apple doesn't make the super inexpensive low end laptops, sure.
When pressed for why they don't offer any cheaper options (whether in computers, phones, etc.), Apple's refuge is to say they aren't interested in making anything so cheap they can't make it good. That's a deliberate fallacy of excluded middle, in other words, a line of bullshit. There's such a thing as building cheap crap, and there's what Apple does, cramming every product full of unnecessarily expensive parts and shaving off millimeters of thickness even when those things have zero (or often, negative!) effect on user experience. There's no question Apple could, for instance, build a perfectly good 15" laptop at $1400 with the exact same feel as MBP and Air while retaining their usual profit margins. It'd just have to be slower than the MBP and have a lesser display (but could still have a good display, far better than that on the Air). The truth is they are simply refusing to build anything mid-priced. It's got everything to do with image and upselling customers with crap they don't need, nothing to do with quality.

Top Bottom