• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Deku Tree

Well my iMac just died. =*(

I've only had it for about 2 1/2 months (paid $1600!) and probably only used it like 15 times because I use my Macbook Pro more since I move around the house all the time. I was using the iMac sunday night for like 2 hrs, shut it down like normal and went to bed. Last night I decided to watch some old school family movies and hit the power button on the iMac.....I get no response. For the next 30 mins I try different outlets, press the power button in every which way the button can be pressed, use google for some help....but still no response.

First Apple product that has failed me.

I blame Tim Cook.

I was unaware the power that button could be pressed more than one way. Seriously though your computer is under warranty by Apple. Call them and get it fixed or gat a new one.

EmiPrime

Well my iMac just died. =*(

I've only had it for about 2 1/2 months (paid $1600!) and probably only used it like 15 times because I use my Macbook Pro more since I move around the house all the time. I was using the iMac sunday night for like 2 hrs, shut it down like normal and went to bed. Last night I decided to watch some old school family movies and hit the power button on the iMac.....I get no response. For the next 30 mins I try different outlets, press the power button in every which way the button can be pressed, use google for some help....but still no response.

First Apple product that has failed me.

I blame Tim Cook.

Sounds like a dead PSU which should be a quick repair.

I ordered this:

21.5-inch iMac £1,187.00
Hardware
2.9GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB
256GB Flash Storage
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1GB GDDR5
Magic Trackpad
Apple Wireless Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)

And I will make arrangements for my old iMac to be recycled. Cheers MacGAF for the advice and discussion.

Laekon

I finally broke down and bought a 13" MacBook Pro this weekend. With a 256GB hd and 8GB RAM for $1269 on the refurb store I couldn't see a reason to get an Air. I haven't had a Mac since 2008 so is there a good sight that goes over track pad gestures and keyboard short cuts?

Fuchsdh

I finally broke down and bought a 13" MacBook Pro this weekend. With a 256GB hd and 8GB RAM for $1269 on the refurb store I couldn't see a reason to get an Air. I haven't had a Mac since 2008 so is there a good sight that goes over track pad gestures and keyboard short cuts?

The gestures should all be illustrated in the mouse/trackpad preferences.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The gestures should all be illustrated in the mouse/trackpad preferences.
And then immediately download BetterTouchTool and create your own gestures and keyboard shortcuts.

Furyous

I need to upgrade the storage on my retina macbook.

My options are:
A lenovo 512 GB usb stick for $150.
A kingston 128 GB SD Card + nifty drive for $150.

I can't afford Nas. Which option would you choose?

Fuchsdh

I need to upgrade the storage on my retina macbook.

My options are:
A lenovo 512 GB usb stick for $150.
A kingston 128 GB SD Card + nifty drive for $150.

I can't afford Nas. Which option would you choose?

I can only imagine the USB stick (3.0) is faster.

mrkgoo

Wow they make 512 GB USB sticks now?

I imagine getting a portable HD would be a better option. How reliable are USB sticks for storage?

mrkgoo

The stick uses USB 2.0.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HMD97YI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm not sure how reliable they are as but was merely looking for inexpensive ways to boost storage. Apparently flash memory card speeds are slow as shit. I saw 128 GB stick with a 30 MB read speed.

I guess it depends on what you intend on using "extra storage" for.

Like if it's occasional access stuff like movies or documents and stuff or if it's constant access like apps.

Eh either way I'd probably go with a USB 3 HD. I normally reserve USB stick atuff as more transfer or temporary storage type stuff.

EmiPrime

The wait for BTO Macs is a painful one. :(

Are there ever good deals on VMware Fusion? They don't seem to do education discounts in the UK.

kennah

The wait for BTO Macs is a painful one. :(

Are there ever good deals on VMware Fusion? They don't seem to do education discounts in the UK.

Over Black Friday they did a 66% off that I really regret missing. That's the only time I've ever seen it on sale.

EmiPrime

Ah that's too bad, I guess it's worth full price anyway. I think I have a license for some ancient version of Parallels but I wasn't too impressed with it.

kennah

Ah that's too bad, I guess it's worth full price anyway. I think I have a license for some ancient version of Parallels but I wasn't too impressed with it.

Don't worry, it wouldn't work anyway! All OS updates require the purchase of a new copy of Parallels.

Fuck them and fuck that.

For a few weeks I've been getting a lot of freezes on my MacBook Air 2013, forcing me to reboot it. I don't know what causes it (maybe it's Firefox?). Has anyone got the same problem? It's very annoying

Also, Apple still hasn't solved the Wi-fi disconnection problem! What are they waiting for? It's very annoying.

VMware it is then!

Do old OS X versions work as virtual machines? I assume nothing pre-Intel works.

Legally, the OS X EULA only recently changed to allow it to run as a guest on another Mac. Technically, nothing before the Intel-switch works as a VM as it was a different architecture. There are 68k emulators (SheepSaver) for old, old, old versions of the Mac OS.

For a few weeks I've been getting a lot of freezes on my MacBook Air 2013, forcing me to reboot it. I don't know what causes it (maybe it's Firefox?). Has anyone got the same problem? It's very annoying

Check out the Console app to review the logs; the system.log should point you in the right direction.

EmiPrime

Legally, the OS X EULA only recently changed to allow it to run as a guest on another Mac. Technically, nothing before the Intel-switch works as a VM as it was a different architecture. There are 68k emulators (SheepSaver) for old, old, old versions of the Mac OS.

I have never been able to get SheepShaver to work!

Order status:
Preparing for Dispatch

itshappening.gif

Fuchsdh

I have never been able to get SheepShaver to work!

Order status:
Preparing for Dispatch

itshappening.gif

It took some troubleshooting, but I'm not reliving my childhood with classic MECC games (Oregon Trail II!) and my world of Mac shareware games (Asterax! Gold Drigger! Quagmire!) on my Mac Pro thanks to Sheepsaver. It definitely took tinkering, and figuring out that the OS 9 version I had didn't work, so I had to find a 9.0 disc on eBay (which was surprisingly hard.)

Now, though, it works like a dream.

It's unfortunate that there's no good OS X PPC emulator, though obviously there are legal issues. Fortunately the majority of video games I have got universal binaries, but there are a few that got left behind (AoE II).

Anyone else do that new-hardware-lust-from-afar thing when you're holding off on buying new stuff, but you go to the Apple Store and just play around with BTO configs?

EmiPrime

It took some troubleshooting, but I'm not reliving my childhood with classic MECC games (Oregon Trail II!) and my world of Mac shareware games (Asterax! Gold Drigger! Quagmire!) on my Mac Pro thanks to Sheepsaver. It definitely took tinkering, and figuring out that the OS 9 version I had didn't work, so I had to find a 9.0 disc on eBay (which was surprisingly hard.)

Now, though, it works like a dream.

It's unfortunate that there's no good OS X PPC emulator, though obviously there are legal issues. Fortunately the majority of video games I have got universal binaries, but there are a few that got left behind (AoE II).

We'll have to rely on memories to reminisce about brushed metal, pinstripes and when the Finder was terrible. :*)

Anyone else do that new-hardware-lust-from-afar thing when you're holding off on buying new stuff, but you go to the Apple Store and just play around with BTO configs?

Way more often than I am willing to confess to.

adroit

YES. I'm typing on a 6.5 year old HP notebook with 2 GB of RAM. Contemplating my first Mac for various reasons.

Fuchsdh

We'll have to rely on memories to reminisce about brushed metal, pinstripes and when the Finder was terrible. :*)

Way more often than I am willing to confess to.

I honestly liked the pinstripes once they got toned down. While I appreciate the more cohesive look we've gotten with 10.8 and 10.9, if I could just strip away the fat window borders of brushed metal from 10.3 I think it would be near perfect.

I know that I'm probably going to hate whatever the hell they do to 10.10 but like all things Apple it'll probably settle down to something decent by the end.

YES. I'm typing on a 6.5 year old HP notebook with 2 GB of RAM. Contemplating my first Mac for various reasons.

I'm impressed you're getting that much out of an old notebook, so kudos.

I realize that since I'm spending all my time on upgraded workstations, I usually forget how little RAM computers ship with by default. Apple was shipping computers with 128MB of RAM in 2003 which doesn't seem that long ago. I can still remember the BTO configs of most of my computers. 16MB, 32MB, 128MB, 640MB, and then from 1GB in 2004 to 24GB 9 years later...

EmiPrime

I am optimistic about 10.10 but I hope they don't make too many unnecessary iOS7-like UI changes. I'd rather have more under the hood changes like a more recent OpenGL version.

I got nearly 8.5 years out of Jan 2006 iMac and I am hoping to get a similar lifespan out of my new one although maybe selling and buying a new one every 3 years might work out better.

Fuchsdh

I am optimistic about 10.10 but I hope they don't make too many unnecessary iOS7-like UI changes. I'd rather have more under the hood changes like a more recent OpenGL version.

I got nearly 8.5 years out of Jan 2006 iMac and I am hoping to get a similar lifespan out of my new one although maybe selling and buying a new one every 3 years might work out better.

Enabling CrossFire under OS X and keeping OpenGL up to date are my top hopes for the next system, especially if FirePros are the main cards in the nMP going forward.

The latter seems likely to happen given the agressive jump for OpenGL from 1.7-.8-.9; the former is prolly a pipe dream.

I would expect OpenGL 4.3 support. 4.4? Maybe.

The question is if OpenGL performance improve at all.

Fuchsdh

If we do get 4.4 would that be the first time OS X has ever had the most up to date version?

I honestly doubt we'll get the most up-to-date version, and to me that's fine. What's more important is that we constantly get those updates so OS X doesn't lag. Being stuck on, what, 2.1 until Mountain Lion was pretty ridiculous (don't quote me though--would need to go back to a Siracusa review.)

Furyous

*Daps*

I thought I was the only one that had a Mac that old. These machines last a really long time. I'd much rather take a $2000+ hit for something that lasts eight years than pay money for something that doesn't last four years.

I want native theme support and better RAM optimization for the OS. I need something like Memory Diag built into the system that automatically frees up constrained RAM. There needs to be a native airdrop to smartphone feature as well.

Fuchsdh

*Daps*

I thought I was the only one that had a Mac that old. These machines last a really long time. I'd much rather take a $2000+ hit for something that lasts eight years than pay money for something that doesn't last four years.

I want native theme support and better RAM optimization for the OS. I need something like Memory Diag built into the system that automatically frees up constrained RAM. There needs to be a native airdrop to smartphone feature as well.

Mavericks seems to have the memory stuff sewn up, is there some feature you feel is missing?

As for native theming, good luck seeing that happen.

(I forgot how much I loved the over-the-top Platinum theme sounds in OS 9 though. It's like my computer usage is being dramatized in a movie.)

EmiPrime

*Daps*

That's the way I see it. I felt kind of bad peeling up the EMI shield and all that tape holding the screen in place to get to the HDD, best computer I have ever owned. :(

It seems UPS aren't doing any work this bank holiday weekend so it will be a while yet before I get my Mac. As much as I like Chrome OS I am really desperate to get back onto OS X and a bigger screen.

thenexus6

Question, so my friend wants to clean install mavericks on her system. When i've done fresh installs myself in the past i've manually backed up my music, photos and files etc done the install then manually put them all back.

I use time machine to backup on a regularly basis, however I don't migrate the time machine backups data back, I do it myself because surely migrating will just put back all the old crap random files onto the system again?

Deku Tree

Question, so my friend wants to clean install mavericks on her system. When i've done fresh installs myself in the past i've manually backed up my music, photos and files etc done the install then manually put them all back.

I use time machine to backup on a regularly basis, however I don't migrate the time machine backups data back, I do it myself because surely migrating will just put back all the old crap random files onto the system again?

That's the way I did It too. It prevents any migration of the old crap. Using Tim machine will not bring back all the old crap if you wanted to do it that way though, but it will bring back some of it. With iCloud many of your settings will still remain in any case which is cool.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Migration Assistant has always worked perfectly for me. You can select what you want. I always do everything. It brings my system back to exactly where I had it before but with a fresh OS.

Deku Tree

Migration Assistant has always worked perfectly for me. You can select what you want. I always do everything. It brings my system back to exactly where I had it before but with a fresh OS.

My beef with migration assistant is that I used it on many computers over many years, and through all that it migrated background WD crapware over and over again to my new computers. Then last year I was hit with the WD crapware mavericks bug.

Otherwise yes it works perfectly.

Water

Is there a reason they don't go with the latest? Is 4.4 not stable enough? Why go with 4.3 if 4.4 is available?
Because they don't want to spend the necessary money and manpower on the drivers to support non-antique OpenGL versions. That's why they remain four years behind the market, after having been in an even worse shape. Their apathy may have something to do with how they choose to put bad enough GPUs in the majority of their computers that the hardware itself doesn't support better than OpenGL 4.0.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My beef with migration assistant is that I used it on many computers over many years, and through all that it migrated background WD crapware over and over again to my new computers. Then last year I was hit with the WD crapware mavericks bug.

Otherwise yes it works perfectly.
Well then uninstall stuff you don't want. I'm very OCD when it comes to what gets to stay on my drive. If I don't want it there anymore, I will nuke it from space.

Because they don't want to spend the necessary money and manpower on the drivers to support non-antique OpenGL versions. That's why they remain four years behind the market, after having been in an even worse shape. Their apathy may have something to do with how they choose to put bad enough GPUs in the majority of their computers that the hardware itself doesn't support better than OpenGL 4.0.
So is it not possible for the end user to update the OpenGL version to 4.4 if they want? Or does it just not exist and Apple has to do it themselves?

Chris R

Seriously considering selling my iPad and MBA for a new surface :( I'll wait for WWDC and maybe even into fall to see what other laptop hardware Apple comes out with...

Deku Tree

Well then uninstall stuff you don't want. I'm very OCD when it comes to what gets to stay on my drive. If I don't want it there anymore, I will nuke it from space.

So is it not possible for the end user to update the OpenGL version to 4.4 if they want? Or does it just not exist and Apple has to do it themselves?

Sure, but the problem was I didn't know was there. I forgot about it. Migration assistant transfers everything. If you want to be sure to get rid of all the junk, then the best way to do it is to transfer everything by hand after a clean install.

That's what thrnexus6 was asking about.

thenexus6

That's the way I did It too. It prevents any migration of the old crap. Using Tim machine will not bring back all the old crap if you wanted to do it that way though, but it will bring back some of it. With iCloud many of your settings will still remain in any case which is cool.

Yeah, well on her hard drive she has 60gb of "other" I assume is just junk. I have literally nothing in my other folder so I didn't want all that crap just going back

Water

Apple does their own drivers, presumably with some kind of support from the GPU vendors, and those drivers lag years behind everything in Windows and Linux where the GPU manufacturers write the drivers themselves. There will be no GL 4.2, 4.3 or 4.4 on OS X until Apple writes it.

Regarding hardware, every Nvidia GPU from the recent years supports 4.4 and every AMD GPU from recent years supports 4.3 (plus a lot of extensions) if I'm not mistaken. So every Mac with these GPUs is crippled by the lack of support in OS X. Intel doesn't support better than 4.0 on their own Win/Linux drivers, so presumably their current hardware isn't capable of much more than that.

Fuchsdh

Apple does their own drivers, presumably with some kind of support from the GPU vendors, and those drivers lag years behind everything in Windows and Linux where the GPU manufacturers write the drivers themselves. There will be no GL 4.2, 4.3 or 4.4 on OS X until Apple writes it.

Regarding hardware, every Nvidia GPU from the recent years supports 4.4 and every AMD GPU from recent years supports 4.3 (plus a lot of extensions) if I'm not mistaken. So every Mac with these GPUs is crippled by the lack of support in OS X. Intel doesn't support better than 4.0 on their own Win/Linux drivers, so presumably their current hardware isn't capable of much more than that.

In terms of improving the outlook for OS X graphics, I go back and forth on whether having the vendors write the drivers would be better or not (would they have much of an incentive?)

Water

In terms of improving the outlook for OS X graphics, I go back and forth on whether having the vendors write the drivers would be better or not (would they have much of an incentive?)

Their incentive to invest in Mac drivers is weak since Apple doesn't offer high-end GPUs at all, doesn't offer reasonable GPU choice with their machines (so that GPU vendors would be in actual competition with each other) or enable the vendors to sell GPU upgrades after the fact. This would change e.g. if there was an Apple desktop that can accept an expansion card and is not priced right out of mass market, or if Apple pushed reasonably priced external Thunderbolt GPU enclosures as accessories for the laptops and "desktop laptops" they currently sell.

The NVidia-written drivers work well, but I don't think they increase the OpenGL version supported over Apple's.

or enable the vendors to sell GPU upgrades after the fact.

Aside from unflashed NVidia cards working in 2008-2012 Mac Pros since 10.7. (I know this is effectively no Macs in the grand scheme of things).

Apple pushed reasonably priced external Thunderbolt GPU enclosures as accessories for the laptops and "desktop laptops" they currently sell.

I've read that the "no GPU" limitation on Thunderbolt is from Intel, for some reason. I'd really like Apple to push them on it, though.

Top Bottom