• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

What? who said that? GODDAMNIT

Actually, that's a good question.

The last official word from Intel was basically to expect Core M for the holidays. (May 14) But looking at their product schedule and the way they said it, the MBA-grade CPUs seemed to have a ship date as late as Feb 2015.

VRZone (China) ran a story yesterday claiming everything has been pushed to Feb+ 2015, with the desktop grade stuff being pushed to July+. Macrumors and the onslaught of reposters have ran with that. There's no official Intel comment, which is either good ("not true") or bad (because they officially commented to dispel rumours earlier this year).

Looking closely at the release schedule, it seems as though only two things are possible:

1. Apple is getting the initial fresh-from-the-line stock and premiering the CPU just in time for Black Friday, or...

2. 14nm troubles continue and Broadwell won't hit Apple products until WWDC.

Fuchsdh

Wouldn't getting delayed to Q2 or 3 mean Broadwell has been delayed a full year? I don't see how that can't screw up their roadmap unless they dump Broadwell entirely.

Deku Tree

Looking for a new slim profile backpack for my MBP, something along the line of the Cocoon SLIM backpack that they have at the Apple Store.

Does anyone have any experience with that backpack or something similar to it? I need something much smaller for when I go to conventions.

Thanks!

Changed my mind. Don't buy. My Cocoon bag already tore at a seam after three weeks of low stress use. I'm upset.

Water

Changed my mind. Don't buy. My Cocoon bag already tore at a seam after three weeks of low stress use. I'm upset.

Maybe you tried to overfill it like those reviewers did? ;-)

Don't be upset, at least it happened at three weeks instead of a year and a day, so you won't be stuck with it. If you point towards the existing reviews and that the bags seem to be riddled with manufacturing defects, maybe they'll agree to reverse the sale / get a refund instead of you having to accept another similar bag and wait for that to break.

Wow that sucks and perhaps I might look into the other brand you mentioned. Still, it seems that most of the slim-profile bags seem to be of the Incase variety or of the Belkin/Case Logic/etc. type.

I mean, I love my kånken laptop bag but I want to cut down on the bulk at times.

Oh well, time to keep looking.

Wouldn't getting delayed to Q2 or 3 mean Broadwell has been delayed a full year? I don't see how that can't screw up their roadmap unless they dump Broadwell entirely.

I expect a full year for Broadwell before Skylake is introduced, just not a full year for all Broadwell parts before Skylake is introduced. They might do something similar (potentially artificially) with Skylake's launch where they start with the ultra mobile and scale up to desktops over the course of 6 months, but they have been repeatedly stated that Skylake isn't getting pushed back.

It's a question of if you believe them, or what that means.

Rbk_3

I am in the market for a new MacBook Pro. I'm lost at what to do. Since Broswell doesn't seem likely until at least Q2 2015, do I bite the bullet now and take advantage of the student deals, or do I wait for possibly a minor update this fall?

What would you guys do? Currently have a 2011 Air I'll be giving to the GF in September.

I am in the market for a new MacBook Pro. I'm lost at what to do. Since Broswell doesn't seem likely until at least Q2 2015, do I bite the bullet now and take advantage of the student deals, or do I wait for possibly a minor update this fall?

What would you guys do? Currently have a 2011 Air I'll be giving to the GF in September.

Why not just keep it another year?

thenexus6

I have a question, so I am currently using a 2010 macbook pro with 8GB of 1067 MHz DDR3 ram. I am looking to get a Mac Mini and have found a really good deal however it comes with 4GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 ram.

Will I notice much difference in the ram? Seeing as the CPU is going to be much better I wouldn't of thought so? I will get some new ram for the mini later down the line when I have extra money.

Its only available tonight to buy - he's going on holiday so I need to decide tonight!

I was going to switch the ram over when the mini arrives and sell the macbook with the minis ram however I learned online its best not to do that.

LeleSocho

Banned

That's what i'm worried about, i sincerely couldn't care less about Broadwell but it delayed of one year would also mean that Skylake is delayed by one year (no way in hell they release two new types of architectures within few months of distance) and that royally screw ups my plans.

Deku Tree

I have a question, so I am currently using a 2010 macbook pro with 8GB of 1067 MHz DDR3 ram. I am looking to get a Mac Mini and have found a really good deal however it comes with 4GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 ram.

Will I notice much difference in the ram? Seeing as the CPU is going to be much better I wouldn't of thought so? I will get some new ram for the mini later down the line when I have extra money.

Its only available tonight to buy - he's going on holiday so I need to decide tonight!

I was going to switch the ram over when the mini arrives and sell the macbook with the minis ram however I learned online its best not to do that.

No you should have 8GB or more IMO. RAM is cheap. Just buy some.

Fixed1979

Thinking about switching from a desktop PC over to a MB Pro at some point in the next few months. A couple quick questions.

What sort of storage solution are people using? I looked on Apple's site and they have some expensive options available, but I already have a plethora of HDD and a couple SSD as well and wouldn't mind just getting a enclosure for those as my data is already on them...any recommendations? (drives would be mostly media (music (listening), and photos (editing))).

Also since I'm not in a rush when would we expect any announcements on a possible refresh?

kennah

Thinking about switching from a desktop PC over to a MB Pro at some point in the next few months. A couple quick questions.

What sort of storage solution are people using? I looked on Apple's site and they have some expensive options available, but I already have a plethora of HDD and a couple SSD as well and wouldn't mind just getting a enclosure for those as my data is already on them...any recommendations? (drives would be mostly media (music (listening), and photos (editing))).

Also since I'm not in a rush when would we expect any announcements on a possible refresh?
For my long term storage I use a NAS. For immediate working on things I use a fast portable hard drive.

Fuchsdh

I've got a DAS 4-bay RAID from Lacie (16TB) and a separate HDD for Time Machine. I've also got a few OWC portable hard drives and SSDs for schlepping files around.

If you plan on using it in any server-like capacity a NAS would make more sense, but for me I just tunnel to my main computer if I need to.

Fixed1979

Thanks for the replies, I'm used to having virtually infinite space on my desktop so wrapping my head around the logistics of going down to a 500G drive is taking some time...

Fuchsdh

Thanks for the replies, I'm used to having virtually infinite space on my desktop so wrapping my head around the logistics of going down to a 500G drive is taking some time...

Well the advantage of a RAID5 system is you can expand your capacity over time and as long as you have a cold spare around in case a drive fails (or with some systems, two drives can fail), none of your data will be lost. You can start out with 1TB drives and then start replacing drives over time with 2, 3, or 4TB. For me I just maxed it at 16TB from the get-go, which including the redundancy and formatted capacity still comes to 12.2TB of usable space.

If you were cutting clean over from desktop PC to MacBook, I would put Linux on the PC and make it a server. But I already know how to do that.

I use my Mac Pro (desktop) as a server for media and permanent project storage and either shuffle stuff to my 128GB air or access it via Back To My Mac or SSH tunnel when on the road.

I hope at some point the Mac gets a native iSCSI initiator; annoying that it doesn't today.

How are rmbp refurbished? Better off spending the extra couple hundreds to get a new one?
Delayed broadwell breaks my heart now i have to wait even longer!

Deku Tree

How are rmbp refurbished? Better off spending the extra couple hundreds to get a new one?
Delayed broadwell breaks my heart now i have to wait even longer!

I think a refurb is basically like new. You can still buy apple care and get the same three year warranty on any problem.

Just bought a 13 retina macbook pro, quite happy with it.

A few questions:

1) i can see a slight yellowish tint on the left border of the screen.
it's nearly unnoticeable and visible only on white backgrounds and maybe my ocd is fooling me, but is it normal?
I think it may be due to the backlight.

2) do you think screen protectors and keyboard protectors are necessary?
I'm pulling the trigger on a case though.

3) do you recommend Apple Care?

Deku Tree

Just bought a 13 retina macbook pro, quite happy with it.

A few questions:

1) i can see a slight yellowish tint on the left border of the screen.
it's nearly unnoticeable and visible only on white backgrounds and maybe my ocd is fooling me, but is it normal?
I think it may be due to the backlight.

2) do you think screen protectors and keyboard protectors are necessary?
I'm pulling the trigger on a case though.

3) do you recommend Apple Care?

1) not normal
2) not needed IMO
3) yes apple care is essential IMO. The best computer warranty money can buy if you plan to keep it for 3+ years. Almost anything fixed no additional cost to you no questions asked as long as you didn't obviously damage it through carelessness.

Vashetti

Banned
My MacBook Pro (2012 13" model) has a very noticeable mura effect on the screen when something dark is playing.

I took my Mac in for servicing due to the HDD connector failing last year, and they asked me if there was anything else they wanted me to look at, I mentioned the mura effect and they noted to look at it. I got the Mac back a week later and they'd fixed the HDD connector but clearly hadn't looked at the mura effect on the screen as it was still occurring.

Earlier this year, my partner's Mac accidentally slipped off the bed whilst my Mac was open on the floor, creating a visible scratch on the screen.

I know Apple doesn't cover accidental damage, but the mura effect they do cover under warranty, and to fix that, they would have to replace the entire screen right? Thereby fixing the scratches?

As the mura effect occurred before the scratches, and they took note of it back when I had the HDD connector fixed, would they still fix my screen? Or refuse to do it because of the scratches?

Sorry if that's confusing.

Deku Tree

My MacBook Pro (2012 13" model) has a very noticeable mura effect on the screen when something dark is playing.

I took my Mac in for servicing due to the HDD connector failing last year, and they asked me if there was anything else they wanted me to look at, I mentioned the mura effect and they noted to look at it. I got the Mac back a week later and they'd fixed the HDD connector but clearly hadn't looked at the mura effect on the screen as it was still occurring.

Earlier this year, my partner's Mac accidentally slipped off the bed whilst my Mac was open on the floor, creating a visible scratch on the screen.

I know Apple doesn't cover accidental damage, but the mura effect they do cover under warranty, and to fix that, they would have to replace the entire screen right? Thereby fixing the scratches?

As the mura effect occurred before the scratches, and they took note of it back when I had the HDD connector fixed, would they still fix my screen? Or refuse to do it because of the scratches?

Sorry if that's confusing.

You have a compelling argument. So probably they will... But it may slightly depend upon the rep you get at the apple store and their current mood.

I had a Small scratch on my iPad Air and six months into it they just gave me another one no questions asked.

Vashetti

Banned
You have a compelling argument. So probably they will... But it may slightly depend upon the rep you get at the apple store and their current mood.

I had a Small scratch on my iPad Air and six months into it they just gave me another one no questions asked.

Thanks for the reply. I really hope they fix it, it's so distracting seeing both the scratch and the mura effect at the same time :(

Thanks for the reply. I really hope they fix it, it's so distracting seeing both the scratch and the mura effect at the same time :(

In my experience, they will note the scratch. They may even ask you about it. But since the scratch and mura effect are different issues, it's very unlikely that they would deny one based on the other. Just focus on the mura issue and treat the scratch like you don't even notice it. It's there, but it's irrelevant.

Even better; you should mention (nicely) that you asked them to look at the issue last year, not sure if they did. If it's in their records and they didn't do it, that will likely streamline your repair process even more.

Blackhead

Redarse
Who has a better warranty?

Off the top of my head Microsoft and Lenovo offer accidental coverage, no questions asked etc. Actually AppleCare plan is kinda of a rip off, that warranty offered should really be covered for free. If the problem is really widespread and obviously significant then Apple would be forced to do a recall and you get free coverage anyway. The only reason AppleCare looks good is because the free warranty period in the North America is so short. The EU mandates 2yrs including for Apple and I think that should be the minimum everywhere

Deku Tree

Off the top of my head Microsoft and Lenovo offer accidental coverage, no questions asked etc. Actually AppleCare plan is kinda of a rip off, that warranty offered should really be covered for free. If the problem is really widespread and obviously significant then Apple would be forced to do a recall and you get free coverage anyway. The only reason AppleCare looks good is because the free warranty period in the North America is so short. The EU mandates 2yrs including for Apple and I think that should be the minimum everywhere

I would never personally pay extra for accidental damage coverage anyway, not for a laptop and not for any other mobile device. Just because I have never needed it over many, many years.

Pathos

Banned
Hey guys, I was just wondering if a MBA or MBP are good options to use for university? Like is there any equivalent of MS office or anything?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if a MBA or MBP are good options to use for university? Like is there any equivalent of MS office or anything?

I think they all come with Apple's suite of office apps now? They're pretty good and have cloud versions as well.

You could also use Google's suite of apps (Google Docs) which are also perfectly good Office replacements.

Or you could just buy MS Office for OSX. It does exist.

Pathos

Banned
I think they all come with Apple's suite of office apps now? They're pretty good and have cloud versions as well.

You could also use Google's suite of apps (Google Docs) which are also perfectly good Office replacements.

Or you could just buy MS Office for OSX. It does exist.
Oh, I had no clue LOL. Is the MBP better than the Air school-wise?

Tamanon

Banned

I'd suggest also checking your school's site to see if they give you office for free. My university has Office for Mac and Office 365 for Windows free for students.

Just picked up a Macbook Pro Retina and it's going to be great for me. Not heavy at all and great battery life. Much easier to tote around than my old 15" HP laptop and charger.

Pathos

Banned
I'd suggest also checking your school's site to see if they give you office for free. My university has Office for Mac and Office 365 for Windows free for students.

Just picked up a Macbook Pro Retina and it's going to be great for me. Not heavy at all and great battery life. Much easier to tote around than my old 15" HP laptop and charger.
I just checked the school's site, and you get a big discount.

Fuchsdh

I would never personally pay extra for accidental damage coverage anyway, not for a laptop and not for any other mobile device. Just because I have never needed it over many, many years.

Yep. AppleCare covers what I actually happens to my computers--namely, nothing that's my fault :p

Oh, I had no clue LOL. Is the MBP better than the Air school-wise?

Pro is a bit thicker and less portable, but specs are a bit higher. Just depends what youd use it for. For average users the 13 inch air is probably the best; super thin, light, reasonable resolution. Pro gives you options like a Retina screen but everything there has a price so it depends on your budget and needs.

With education discount and refurbished, rMBP oct 2013 version 8gb ram and 256 ssd for 1319$ plus tax. Should i pull the trigger? Can i get the financing also?

lord quas

Hi guys,

I have a MacBook Pro with a GeForce GT 650M but my MacBook tells me it has enabled the internal graphics card instead (Intel HD Graphics 4000). It still shows up under Graphics/Display... I have no idea how to activate it though. Does this mean the GT 650 M is faulty/broken?

kennah

Hi guys,

I have a MacBook Pro with a GeForce GT 650M but my MacBook tells me it has enabled the internal graphics card instead (Intel HD Graphics 4000). It still shows up under Graphics/Display... I have no idea how to activate it though. Does this mean the GT 650 M is faulty/broken?
The gpu kicks in automatically when it is needed.

Edit - if you're still having trouble , enable High Performance mode in Energy Setttings.

lord quas

The gpu kicks in automatically when it is needed.

Edit - if you're still having trouble , enable High Performance mode in Energy Setttings.

Thanks! I wonder why most games run shit on my MacBook all of a sudden though... I think I'll take it down to the store and see what's up

Top Bottom