• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Deku Tree

Just bought my gf a Macbook Air yesterday. Never noticed the non-black bezel before which I kind of dislike after being so used to my retina pro. Hope it works well for her and lasts some years with just the 4GB RAM but she doesn't really do much besides surfing, watching videos, listening to music, facetiming (main reason she got it from me) and organizing pictures.

While I bought it I got around playing with the Macbook a bit. Damn that thing looks tiny even though the screen is just a bit smaller. Not sure I like the keyboard but the force touch felt good.

Anyways, I will get a Apple TV 3 as a gift though I already own a Raspberry Pi 2 with Kodi/openelec. Is it any use for me? It seems like the Airplay on Kodi doesn't work anymore but besides that?

Rumor is a new major ATV upgrade to be announced on Sept. 9. Supposed to be Apples play on smart tvs, apps, and watching TV over the Internet... Worth it to wait.

wow really? what the actual fuck.

When I went to college, I had to rent a MacBook Pro from the school. They'd charge quite a bit, too - something like $1500/year if I'm not mistaken, because of the Adobe software suite or something.

It was an advertising course. Half design, half sales.

At the end of the course, we could buy the computer for $1. They wiped and reformatted them all before that, though, so we didn't get to keep the software. They'd also add/remove stuff during the summers.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When I went to college, I had to rent a MacBook Pro from the school. They'd charge quite a bit, too - something like $1500/year if I'm not mistaken, because of the Adobe software suite or something.

It was an advertising course. Half design, half sales.

At the end of the course, we could buy the computer for $1. They wiped and reformatted them all before that, though, so we didn't get to keep the software. They'd also add/remove stuff during the summers.
That's stupid. What about people who already own a computer and want to use it instead?

Both of those numbers seem really really low. Something is wrong either with your software or with your battery. You should be able to call Apple support for free or go to an Apple Store to ask them what is going on, or exchange your computer for one with better battery life.

Edit: if it's a software problem with your schools custom install since those things are usually "imaged" the same for everyone you'd think it was happening to other people too.

It seems a few people also have the same prblem. We'll have to ask the IT guys when we officially start school since there's no Apple Stores around here.

That's stupid. What about people who already own a computer and want to use it instead?

In my case, if you had a Macbook Pro from 2013 or more recent, you could just pay for the programs and stuff.

nampad

Rumor is a new major ATV upgrade to be announced on Sept. 9. Supposed to be Apples play on smart tvs, apps, and watching TV over the Internet... Worth it to wait.

I know and the rumored gaming aspect actually interests me but my gf already bought it a while ago as a present for me.
I hope Apple at least updates the third generation model with some of the features.

SeanR1221

At 500GB pure SSD prices are fairly reasonable—around $200 or less for a Samsung or Crucial.

Also, the talk earlier about skeuomorphism reminded me of this gem: http://daringfireball.net/2005/09/anthropomorphized

Honestly I think I'd have loved brushed metal a lot more if you removed all the heavy borders around windows. Looking back, it's amazing how much wasted space there was in the early OS X design even when people were using 1024x768 displays everywhere.

Suggestions on which SSHd to buy?

Fuchsdh

I'm curious how often do you guys upgrade your Macbooks?

My wife is still using her 2008 Macbook. Baggage handlers shattered the screen, the GPU is starting to fail (there's a ribbon of distortion in the corner of the screen whenever the GPU is stressed), and she loads it with files so there's never any disk space on the damn thing, but it still works. Were the GPU and screen not a lost cause I would have suggested an SSD or RAM upgrade a while ago. Even with its problems I'm still willing to be it's got at least another year in it.

I went 6 years between an upgrade of my '08 pre-unibody Macbook Pro to a '14 model.

Finally had no need to keep an SSD I had been using as a backup for my wife's iMac and went ahead and threw it into a FW400 enclosure and installed Yosemite on it for my iMac. About 90% of my IO is vastly improved!

Fuchsdh

Finally had no need to keep an SSD I had been using as a backup for my wife's iMac and went ahead and threw it into a FW400 enclosure and installed Yosemite on it for my iMac. About 90% of my IO is vastly improved!

Pretty impressive for a FW400 interface.

I'm going to be interested in seeing the speed improvements when I finally get around to tinkering with the MDD G4 I've got sitting around for use as a nostalgia and classic games machine. It's got an SSD, but it'll have to go through an ATA/66 bus...

Pretty impressive for a FW400 interface.

I'm going to be interested in seeing the speed improvements when I finally get around to tinkering with the MDD G4 I've got sitting around for use as a nostalgia and classic games machine. It's got an SSD, but it'll have to go through an ATA/66 bus...

it really only gets a bit bogged down when a lot is happening on the bus with big file transfers. Otherwise anything random access is much quicker. Yosemite's boot times on my HDD were just getting by too painful for me.

Husker86

Does anyone have issues with external monitors sometimes not being recognized on a Macbook Pro (maybe same issue for iMacs/other Macs in general)?

I use my Macbook closed most of the time, and it's hooked up to my triple monitor setup at my desk. Sometimes one of the displays will not be recognized, and if I'm remembering correctly, it isn't just one of the displays that is always the issue, it seems to move around.

I'm hesitant to buy new cables because most of the time there isn't an issue, but sometimes I have to either unplug/plug back in the cables or just restart the Macbook until the display is recognized.

Does anyone have issues with external monitors sometimes not being recognized on a Macbook Pro (maybe same issue for iMacs/other Macs in general)?

I use my Macbook closed most of the time, and it's hooked up to my triple monitor setup at my desk. Sometimes one of the displays will not be recognized, and if I'm remembering correctly, it isn't just one of the displays that is always the issue, it seems to move around.

I'm hesitant to buy new cables because most of the time there isn't an issue, but sometimes I have to either unplug/plug back in the cables or just restart the Macbook until the display is recognized.

Yup, I get that too. I use a Dell U2711 which I know has had issues with Displayport with other computers of mine (though that was with an AMD card so it might have been drivers rather than the monitor. Who knows?).
I occasionally have to do the same thing, unplug/replug, reboot, power cycle the monitor, until it works.

Same problem with my iMac. I just assumed it was my cable but I guess not now.

Yeah, I thought the same. Have tried three different cables from three different stores/brands and they all had the same issue. It doesn't happen as much with my 2011 MBP as it did with my 2008 MBP, but it still happens ._.

Husker86

Yup, I get that too. I use a Dell U2711 which I know has had issues with Displayport with other computers of mine (though that was with an AMD card so it might have been drivers rather than the monitor. Who knows?).
I occasionally have to do the same thing, unplug/replug, reboot, power cycle the monitor, until it works.

Same problem with my iMac. I just assumed it was my cable but I guess not now.

Yeah, I thought the same. Have tried three different cables from three different stores/brands and they all had the same issue. It doesn't happen as much with my 2011 MBP as it did with my 2008 MBP, but it still happens ._.

And this is why I asked, thanks! Won't be trying any other cables now.

EmiPrime

I never had any problems with my old iMac on Snow Leopard via VGA. I don't know if it's hardware or software related. :/

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2015/09/01/google-logo

Gruber gonna Gruber.

giga

Skylake details out: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...-faster-core-m-and-ultrabook-gpus-with-edram/

Good news: The 15W (MBA) and 28W (13" MBPr) chips look great. eDRAM now default for all Iris GPUs!
Bad news: Not shipping until next year. Intel..smh.

ikeHQOg.png

So no laptop refresh until 2016?

They could update the MB and 13" MBP. The 15" could be updated, but the integrated GPU wouldn't have eDRAM and would need to rely on a dedicated GPU.

Unfortunately, the 15" is what I was interested in.

Even if the 15" dGPU models are updated, it might make more sense to wait for next Winter/Spring's refresh, as we might get some early 14nm/16nm FinFet+ dedicated mobile GPUs?

Fuchsdh

The last updates were in March and May of this year so it wouldn't be crazy for them to wait until early 2016 to redo the line, or for the 15 inch to go a bit longer after the lower models are updated.

Deku Tree

Couldn't you just open up the packages for each one and copy stuff into the other one?

When I "open package contents" I see a huge number of esoteric file names and I have no idea what to move and what not to move.

Edit: I'm going to try to use aperture if Apple lets me redownload it.

mrkgoo

Couldn't you just open up the packages for each one and copy stuff into the other one?
I would recommend against this.

Messing about in the package structure is asking for trouble.

As far as I know there's no automated way of merging multiple photos libraries.

Your best bet is probably to take the originals files of the smallest library and import them into the largest. You will lose alba and edits and all that.

I guess technically, you could move one photos library to another computer and activate iCloud Photo Library on both computers to merge them on the cloud.... That's kinda crazy talk though.

Deku Tree

I would recommend against this.

Messing about in the package structure is asking for trouble.

As far as I know there's no automated way of merging multiple photos libraries.

Your best bet is probably to take the originals files of the smallest library and import them into the largest. You will lose alba and edits and all that.

I guess technically, you could move one photos library to another computer and activate iCloud Photo Library on both computers to merge them on the cloud.... That's kinda crazy talk though.

They were actually iPhoto libraries, and Aperture has an import iPhoto library function. I used it. Not sure if it's perfect, but I have now have a Photos library that is about the size it should be for merging the two older libraries.

But yeah with Photos I don't see a merge function, and when you export the photos from Photos for some reason it doesn't include any of the photos metadata. So that stinks.

I guess this is a strike against using Apples Photos program. If you want to export all your photos later then it's not as good as I should be.

EmiPrime

That's one of the reasons I prefer Google Photos; all the photos are just in normal folders inside the Google Drive folder (Google Drive/Google Photos/2015/09/photo.jpg) arranged by date instead of hidden away in a database.

In other Google news, Chrome beta 46 is out. Battery life improvements are really impressive, comparable to Safari now! Check out yourself if you don't believe me.

https://www.google.co.uk/chrome/browser/beta.html

Deku Tree

That's one of the reasons I prefer Google Photos; all the photos are just in normal folders inside the Google Drive folder (Google Drive/Google Photos/2015/09/photo.jpg) arranged by date instead of hidden away in a database.

In other Google news, Chrome beta 46 is out. Battery life improvements are really impressive, comparable to Safari now! Check out yourself if you don't believe me.

https://www.google.co.uk/chrome/browser/beta.html

Does google photos have a functionality like apples photo stream that will work automatically with your camera app on iOS and doesn't hog your battery?

EmiPrime

Does google photos have a functionality like apples photo stream that will work automatically with your camera app on iOS and doesn't hog your battery?

I use it on Android and the syncing is extremely robust. I haven't heard anything bad about it on iOS either.

I actually merged a couple of libraries setting up iCloud Photo Library. Seemed to go okay. I don't remember the exact process, but basically, as you enable iCPL from different devices/libraries, it just merges whatever is stored locally there with the cloud store, which is obviously then available from all enabled devices. I didn't really notice any duplication, so there may be something to handle that on the server side during imports.

Deku Tree

I actually merged a couple of libraries setting up iCloud Photo Library. Seemed to go okay. I don't remember the exact process, but basically, as you enable iCPL from different devices/libraries, it just merges whatever is stored locally there with the cloud store, which is obviously then available from all enabled devices. I didn't really notice any duplication, so there may be something to handle that on the server side during imports.

I was working on 92GB of photos from ancient busted computers so merge in the cloud would have been problematic even if I was paying apple for that much storage space.

LeleSocho

Banned
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Intal does not have ready CPUs for 15'' MBP for the next month? Wow they can screw themselves, more than 2 years with the same cpu for high performance notebooks... ugh.

I was working on 92GB of photos from ancient busted computers so merge in the cloud would have been problematic even if I was paying apple for that much storage space.
lol Well, that is indeed a lot, but just FYI, you can get 200GB of storage for $4/mo. I've no idea if that's actually competitive, but it doesn't strike me as unreasonable. If you're not interested in the cloud access — and "access everywhere" might be nice with 92GB of pics and counting… — you could just upgrade to 200GB for a month, get your libraries merged and downloaded to your primary repository, then go back to the 5GB of free storage after that.

FakeEdit: If, when you referred to old and busted computers, you were concerned iCPL enrollment wouldn't be an option on them, you can just copy the library files to a Mac new enough to sign up, and then use the standard multi-library tricks from there.

Still having the issue where my Bluetooth devices won't wake the computer up, after a complete/refresh with a new install and resetting the PRAM and SMC or whatever they call it.

Any ideas? I need this computer to last for at least another year, and would prefer to not have to deal with a costly repair.

EDIT: Support got information from my computer and they're going to analyze it. But this issue has now happened twice tonight, after not recurring for a couple of weeks.

I can still wake the computer up by pressing the power button -- so far, at least -- but clicking the mouse or touching a key does nothing. Their power lights are off, and if I turn the mouse on and off, it just tries to connect.

Deku Tree

Does anyone use Google Photos on iOS? Do you have to have the Google Photo's app open in order to sync your photos to the cloud? Or if you can then how do you set it up to work in the background?

Husker86

Does anyone use Google Photos on iOS? Do you have to have the Google Photo's app open in order to sync your photos to the cloud? Or if you can then how do you set it up to work in the background?

You have to open the app to initiate a sync. It can sync in the background for a certain amount of time after you leave the app, though.

It might do some scheduled things throughout the day, but I know it won't start syncing right after you take a picture or anything like that (unless, of course, you open the app right after).

I could really use an upgrade on my 15" rMBP. Next time def opting for the 1TB HDD.

I have like 20 gigs of space left and my machine has been chugging. Not as snappy as it once was.

So I was thinking "You know, eventually I'm going to have to get a Surface tablet because I need Windows 10 for Steam In-Home Streaming and Xbox streaming and whatnot. There goes $500" before totally remembering that I can just BootCamp my MBPr and only spend the money on the Windows license

So that's nice

It doesn't do it instantly, but it will scan for new photos occasionally using Background App Refresh.

It hasn't missed a shot for me yet. Only annoying thing is going through and deleting screenshots I take that I don't really want kept.

Xun

Is it possible to install Boot Camp with non-EFI GPUs?

I really want to play MGS5 on my machine. :(
Sounds like it's possible, but a pain in the arse?

Hopefully someone who has done it can help me out, since there's a lot of conflicting reports online in regards to issues.

J2 Cool

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1106717

Does anyone have a recommendation between these models?

Kh7FIvo.png

74wMOYQ.png

Raised my budget, about $1600. My main concern is I heard it's really difficult to add ram on the 21-in models, but it fits my available space a lot better (would like to have 16gb right away). Unless the 27in is that much a better value, I'd probably not go with it, though it seems fairly stacked. Really don't know the difference or the superior value 21-in iMac.

For reference, I'm going to be using this as primary computer for Photoshop, After Effects, Animation, Editing, some Maya, some Unity. Still has to be budgeted though. Thanks!

Top Bottom