• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Cronen

Hi GAF, hope you can help me. I am a new Macbook/OSX user, so please be kind!

It used to be that if I had tabs open in Safari, and I hit the red close circle in the top left corner, that Safari would 'close' (but there would be a black dot under the Safari icon in my dock). If I clicked on Safari again it would open up with my previous tabs as they were.

However, in the last 15 mins, that has now stopped. If I 'close' Safari with the red circle, and then re-open it, I am now on my favourites page. I've checked the Safari Preferences, but can't seem to find anything to make it back to how it was.

Help!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Don't close the window. Just hide the app. Or quit it. Closing it closes all the tabs.

How long ago did it used to work? Because it hasn't worked that way for a while.

And what does "Reopen last closed window" and "Reopen tabs from last session" do in that case? (It must be the first thing you do before you open anything else)

planning for the el captain release, i think i'll be doing a full reformat for this release.

whats the best way to go about doing this? where will i be able to get an el captain distro on wednesday?

deim0s

Picked up recently a 13" Mac Portable - so looking for some short term storage options to this small SSD.

Anyone uses the Nifty drive/JetDrive/PNY (?) drives on their SD slots? There are quite a few out there anyone has recommendations? Does it really drain power from the battery when the laptop sleeps - anyone using utilities (Mountain/Sleepwatcher) as well for this?

Hi GAF, hope you can help me. I am a new Macbook/OSX user, so please be kind!

It used to be that if I had tabs open in Safari, and I hit the red close circle in the top left corner, that Safari would 'close' (but there would be a black dot under the Safari icon in my dock). If I clicked on Safari again it would open up with my previous tabs as they were.

However, in the last 15 mins, that has now stopped. If I 'close' Safari with the red circle, and then re-open it, I am now on my favourites page. I've checked the Safari Preferences, but can't seem to find anything to make it back to how it was.

Help!

Try History > Reopen All Windows from Last Session or you probably opened a new window, check if there are other Safari Windows that are open (Windows > bottom entries) aside from the Safari window you're seeing with Favourites on.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The El Cap status bar autohides now. Someone fan Abed.
Why? I hate hiding my status bar. Actually, I wish I could set it to permanently show in Fullscreen too. I'm so fucking tired of trying to click something at the top of the screen and having that stupid thing fly down, get in my way, make me move my mouse down 2 inches (The worst part being that the area below the toolbar becomes unclickable while it's down for some reason too.) and wait 2 seconds for it to go away so I can try and click again only to have it fucking show up again and having to do the whole thing over again.

Fucking stupid idea is stupid. Plus I can't tell what time it is without switching to the desktop or putting my mouse up there. It's like the dumbest UI design ever and it totally fucks with the Human Interface Guidelines. Even iOS shows the status bar in fullscreen. (Which is obvious because iOS is always fullscreen.) The only time when it shouldn't be showing is in games.

In honestly though, I have toyed with hiding the menubar and the dock and my desktop icons but can't for the life of me see a reason why I should. It just makes things harder for me in the end.

Fuchsdh

Why? I hate hiding my status bar. Actually, I wish I could set it to permanently show in Fullscreen too. I'm so fucking tired of trying to click something at the top of the screen and having that stupid thing fly down, get in my way, make me move my mouse down 2 inches (The worst part being that the area below the toolbar becomes unclickable while it's down for some reason too.) and wait 2 seconds for it to go away so I can try and click again only to have it fucking show up again and having to do the whole thing over again.

Fucking stupid idea is stupid. Plus I can't tell what time it is without switching to the desktop or putting my mouse up there. It's like the dumbest UI design ever and it totally fucks with the Human Interface Guidelines. Even iOS shows the status bar in fullscreen. (Which is obvious because iOS is always fullscreen.) The only time when it shouldn't be showing is in games.

In honestly though, I have toyed with hiding the menubar and the dock and my desktop icons but can't for the life of me see a reason why I should. It just makes things harder for me in the end.

Was talking about the Safari status bar that only appears when you hover over links, but yeah I just noticed that you can set the system menubar to hide itself like the dock now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Was talking about the Safari status bar that only appears when you hover over links, but yeah I just noticed that you can set the system menubar to hide itself like the dock now.
Oh that. Yes. Finally. Go ahead. Get the fan out.

If they ever put favicons in you're gonna need to resuscitate me.

sethbot

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a MacBook Pro so I can do iOS development. Is it worth it to get the base 13 inch Retina for $1200 now or should I wait for the 2016 models?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What's a good way to block websites on Safari on Mac?
Block them how? Like ad blocking? Or prevent sites from loading all together? Because I've wondered the latter myself so I can block that stupid MacKeeper and that fake "Virus warning alert" page with a voice that tries to tell me my computer is compromised. Even if a tab opens, as long as it remains blank I'd be happy.

Hell, I'd love an extension that removes JavaScript's ability to put up a page leave canceling "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" message that mostly only gets used on these sites. JUST CLOSE THE FUCKING TAB! I once got stuck in an unclosable loop on Firefox when a fake "You are doing illegal things! Pay us money and we'll unlock your computer!" message that would not let me close the page until I switched to another window (Thankfully I had more than one open) and opened preferences and turned off JavaScript. Why the fuck does JavaScript have the ability to prevent a tab from being closed or a page from being left? That's just poor planning and terrible foresight. I mean surely they could see it being exploited.

Block them how? Like ad blocking? Or prevent sites from loading all together? Because I've wondered the latter myself so I can block that stupid MacKeeper and that fake "Virus warning alert" page with a voice that tries to tell me my computer is compromised. Even if a tab opens, as long as it remains blank I'd be happy.

Hell, I'd love an extension that removes JavaScript's ability to put up a page leave canceling "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" message that mostly only gets used on these sites. JUST CLOSE THE FUCKING TAB! I once got stuck in an unclosable loop on Firefox when a fake "You are doing illegal things! Pay us money and we'll unlock your computer!" message that would not let me close the page until I switched to another window (Thankfully I had more than one open) and opened preferences and turned off JavaScript. Why the fuck does JavaScript have the ability to prevent a tab from being closed or a page from being left? That's just poor planning and terrible foresight. I mean surely they could see it being exploited.

Block them so I don't go there so I can be more productive. I'm looking for useful productivity apps.

I just found about WasteNoTime and it's great!

Does anyone know how to clean the Aluminum body?

Fuchsdh

Block them so I don't go there so I can be more productive. I'm looking for useful productivity apps.

I just found about WasteNoTime and it's great!

Does anyone know how to clean the Aluminum body?

Just using 90% isopropyl alcohol and microfiber cloths is what I use to clean my stuff. If there's something that requires a bit more effort to clean off you can use a sponge, but I would stay away from any solvents and anything remotely abrasive.

Deku Tree

So I had been using the El Capitan PB on my work laptop and I ran into problems with compatibility with work stuff that did not support El Capitan yet...

... so now I want to stop running the PB's on my work laptop.

... Problem is that it auto-installed the 10.11.1 PB recently.

So if I download and install the OSX El Capitan public release, then will it install OK? Will it mess up my files on my computer to go from 10.11.1 PB to 10.11?

Would I be better of just turning off auto update and waiting for the 10.11.1 public release before getting off the PB train?

Thanks!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I had been using the El Capitan PB on my work laptop and I ran into problems with compatibility with work stuff that did not support El Capitan yet...

So if I download and install the OSX El Capitan public release, then will it install OK? Will it mess up my files on my computer to go from 10.11.1 PB to 10.11?

Would I be better of just turning off auto update and waiting for the 10.11.1 public release before getting off the PB train?

Thanks!
I don't like downgrading, especially with the cloud now. I don't know if there were significant changes between 10.11 and 10.11.1 to the cloud but I assume not since the data needs to work across a variety of machines.

It'd probably be safe, but to avoid the hassle, just stick with the PB train until the final 10.11.1. Just make sure if you see an update for 10.11.2 to not install it and disable the option right then to hopefully make 10.11.1 show up instead.

10.11.1 seems fine enough for now.

Caronte

I don't understand why they don't change that. It's really annoying.

mrkgoo

So..... Have the changed it in el captain so that when you drag a volume to the eject sign it actually says eject like it used to instead of trash?

I just want to say that I played around with a 2015 MBPR with force touch and i was extremely disappointed.

No where near as effective or useful when compared to the iPhone.

Does anyone here find much use with it day to day?

SeanR1221

After much debating, I decided my next laptop will be the Retina MacBook Pro.

The MacBook is just too underpowered. The weight of the Pro isn't bad at all and it should last me a long time. Going for the 8GB, 256 version. My only apprehension is I'm using 190Gb on my current HDD, but a large chunk of that is "other." What is other?

I put my 2012 MacBook Pro (non retina) on craigslist for 600 and I'm selling my original mini 64gb as well for 250.

Hope someone bites.

Firefox doesn't let you block all JS alerts from a site like Chrome? That's...dumb, that's one of my favorite things about Chrome. Those infinite loop alerts don't work.

antispin

Please recommend a good comic book reader. Something that can do library management and be a good reader? I'm currently using Simple Comic (doesn't do management) and Eton (buggy).

Really irritated that Comixology doesn't have a native OSX app; or that it hasn't merge libraries with Kindle yet (which also doesn't allow comic reading through its app).

GtwoK

I've had a Hackintosh for the past year (which I made out of my old PC that I built in ~2011). I'm getting really fed up with some of the general slowness, as well as drivers crashing and having to dig through things to figure out how to fix it. So now that I've got a job and the money to afford it, I'm looking at just buying an iMac.

I want a 27", but haven't decided if I feel like getting the retina or not. I know those were just updated moderately recently, with retina 21.5" models coming soon. Should I expect a price drop on the 27" models around that time?

Also, the advantage my current setup has is

A) 3 monitors (2 Mini Displayport + 1 DVI, though the DVI one wouldn't be necessary on an iMac because of the built in screen), and
B) I've got 4 drives in this PC, and may possibly add a 5th. The OS is booting off the one that's an SSD.

Are both of these accomplishable with an iMac? What are my options for incorporating my drives into the iMac while still maintaining speeds — I suppose they'll need to be external now, won't they?

What about wall mounting — I know you can opt to get a wall-mountable iMac, but does that mean you're stuck with only one or the other? Theres no attaching or detaching of a simple panel to switch between wall-mounted and on the stand?

Any other general advice for my purchase? Things to look for, certain options to choose, buy refurbished, etc.

EDIT: just noticed... you can't choose your CPU or GPU with an iMac anymore? There's only one option? Also, their RAM upgrade are stupidly expensive; possible to do yourself?

Fuchsdh

Have a buyer lined up for my MacBook. Is this all I need to do?

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18869?locale=en_US

I'd imagine I should deactivate my iCloud and iTunes account first, right?

It'd probably be safer, if you want to take the full measures, to deactivate/deauthorize iCloud and iTunes, boot from an external USB with the OS, zero the data and then reinstall a clean copy of OS X.

The only real annoyance for the buyer would be Find My Mac not being deactivated.

I've had a Hackintosh for the past year (which I made out of my old PC that I built in ~2011). I'm getting really fed up with some of the general slowness, as well as drivers crashing and having to dig through things to figure out how to fix it. So now that I've got a job and the money to afford it, I'm looking at just buying an iMac.

I want a 27", but haven't decided if I feel like getting the retina or not. I know those were just updated moderately recently, with retina 21.5" models coming soon. Should I expect a price drop on the 27" models around that time?

Also, the advantage my current setup has is

A) 3 monitors (2 Mini Displayport + 1 DVI, though the DVI one wouldn't be necessary on an iMac because of the built in screen), and
B) I've got 4 drives in this PC, and may possibly add a 5th. The OS is booting off the one that's an SSD.

Are both of these accomplishable with an iMac? What are my options for incorporating my drives into the iMac while still maintaining speeds — I suppose they'll need to be external now, won't they?

What about wall mounting — I know you can opt to get a wall-mountable iMac, but does that mean you're stuck with only one or the other? Theres no attaching or detaching of a simple panel to switch between wall-mounted and on the stand?

Any other general advice for my purchase? Things to look for, certain options to choose, buy refurbished, etc.

At this point it looks like the non-retina iMacs are going the way of the MBP and will just be a cheap legacy SKU; the 27" should most likely be updated when the 21.5" comes out, I would guess, so I would wait until then. Even if you want an older model they'll be cheaper, or you can decide whether to spring for a new one. Refurbs are a great deal—you're basically saving hundreds of dollars to get your machine in a less fancy packaging. However if you want a refurb of the newest models available you'll have to wait a few months after the newest SKU is out there, and of course there's limited stock and configs so you have to be alert and be ready to snap up something when it appears.

The retina models still have your choice of CPU or GPU options—RAM is soldered, however, on the smaller 21.5" configs (still upgradable, easier than ever, in fact, on the 27".)

As for your disks, you can get some great Thunderbolt-based external arrays, if that's your thing, or you could get cheaper and slower setups. To minimize space I assume you'd want some sort of JBOD config, since it doesn't sound like you're doing RAID.

Finally, for monitors—the 5K iMacs can output to a 4K display. They should be able to handle two extra smaller resolutions.

hirokazu

Thanks!

Your best bet is to ride it out until 10.11.1 hits public release later this month. Any compatibility issues are likely to stem from the update to 10.11, so even if you downgrade, you're likely to run into the same problems.

You'll have to wait for the apps with problems to be updated, I think. But turn off pre-release software updates in the meantime if you want to get off that train.

Top Bottom