• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Jasoco

Banned
Depends. Which model? If it's the 13", my god. That's 4x the pixels of my Air and would require them to actually finish implementing Resolution Independence.

dc89

OSX Lion is already built for HiDPI displays.

I actually believe that they started the groundwork for this kind of resolution back in Snow Leopard with the lovely high-res App icons.

You can enable your Mac to display at HiDPI already by using Xcode but it's pointless because everything on the screen will double in size.

But here is a example:

retina3.jpg

Retina.jpg

Now imagine those on a super high-res display. I think it will have the same WOW factor as the iPhone 4 display when that first debuted.

Maybe this is why Apple never took a shine to Blu-ray, because soon their displays will not be done justice by Blu-ray.

Depends. Which model? If it's the 13", my god. That's 4x the pixels of my Air and would require them to actually finish implementing Resolution Independence.

I'm guessing they'd do it across the line, but regardless I think this is what Resolution Independence is leaning to. I don't think a 15" or 17" screen is really tenable at such a high res otherwise.

If they pull it off, well...that's a pretty interesting step in front of anyone else. But there are definitely some performance and software considerations...

mn66

Dear Mac GAF:

I am on the verge of diving balls deep into the world of Apple. My local Craigslist has a Macbook Pro (2009) 4Gig Ram/250 HD/Core Duo 2.4Ghz for $550.

Comes with the original box/charger/OS disk and is apparently is fine operating condition.

I see the same model for at least $200 more on Ebay. So my concern, obviously, is that I'm getting hosed. Is a deal like this too good to be true, or should there be some things to inspect when I meet up to do the transaction?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I would love to become one of you!

Blackhead

Redarse
Dear Mac GAF:

I am on the verge of diving balls deep into the world of Apple. My local Craigslist has a Macbook Pro (2009) 4Gig Ram/250 HD/Core Duo 2.4Ghz for $550.

Comes with the original box/charger/OS disk and is apparently is fine operating condition.

I see the same model for at least $200 more on Ebay. So my concern, obviously, is that I'm getting hosed. Is a deal like this too good to be true, or should there be some things to inspect when I meet up to do the transaction?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I would love to become one of you!

https://www.macworld.com/article/142103/2009/08/buyused.html

Ask for the serial number and check it online:
https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

If the deal sounds to be too good to be true, ask why the person is selling and check their credentials. Perhaps it's a rich college student whose mum just bought her a new Macbook air for Christmas... you never know...

Pachimari

Hmm, this is really starting to bother me.

Why do the fan on my 13" MacBook Air go really really loud? It gets really hot as well, and can understand when it's on my lap, but it's sitting on the table right now and the fan is full-on ablaze! =/

Jasoco

Banned
Depends on what you're doing. If it's something intensive, sure it's going to get warm and fans will start. It's still cooler than a Pro. My i5 Air is more tolerable on my lap than my C2D Pro was.

bionic77

It is time. My MBP from 2006 just can't cut it anymore. I am going to hold onto it to use as an extra laptop and to store all of my photos but otherwise move on to the new hotness.

I am going to upgrade to the Air but I am undecided between the 11" and 13" The 13 is obviously more usable but the 11's size is just so perfect.

Thoughts and opinions on the difference between the two? For those who went through the same dilemma which one did you go with and why?

Pachimari

It's nothing intensive at all... It's running Chrome and two Pages documents, I just recorded a video:

My YouTube

Not sure if you can hear it on the video.
Though right now, around 25 tabs are open in Chrome, could that be it?

Zaphod

It is time. My MBP from 2006 just can't cut it anymore. I am going to hold onto it to use as an extra laptop and to store all of my photos but otherwise move on to the new hotness.

I am going to upgrade to the Air but I am undecided between the 11" and 13" The 13 is obviously more usable but the 11's size is just so perfect.

Thoughts and opinions on the difference between the two? For those who went through the same dilemma which one did you go with and why?

For me the shorter screen of the 11" meant that I would be looking down at a sharper angle when it is in my lap. After using a 10.2" netbook for 2 years I knew that can be a real pain for long term use. The additional battery life and sd card reader sealed the deal for me on the 13"

Zaphod

It's nothing intensive at all... It's running Chrome and two Pages documents, I just recorded a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb9-TC-mEJY&feature=plcp&context=C3b94a6bUDOEgsToPDskLgXuJEJyAC1SOyNGa3Y8vj

Some sites can really give the processor a workout for no reason. The daily mail is real bad about that on my Air. I don't think it is too bad for the cooling system to be at max though. The i5 processor will adjust its frequency based on how hot it is running.

I've played multiple 8 hour Civ V marathons with my friends with the Air's fans running full blast and I have not had any hardware issues so far.

bionic77

For me the shorter screen of the 11" meant that I would be looking down at a sharper angle when it is in my lap. After using a 10.2" netbook for 2 years I knew that can be a real pain for long term use. The additional battery life and sd card reader sealed the deal for me on the 13"
I am kind of leaning towards the 13" too. When I play with them in the store I can't decide which one I like more. The portability of the 11" Air is pretty tempting though...

Jasoco

Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb9-TC-mEJY&feature=plcp&context=C3b94a6bUDOEgsToPDskLgXuJEJyAC1SOyNGa3Y8vj

Fix your link.

Also, 25 tabs is way too much. Close some of them. That's probably your problem. How many of them have Flash in them? Install the "TooManyTabs" extension in Chrome and throw about 20 of them in there and see if it helps. Or just quit Chrome and see how long it takes before it cools back down.

Erasus

My sister has a 13" Air and its very portable. 11 would be way too small for me to even surf the web on. Even if you get the 13 I would buy an external 24 screen or connect to a TV when not out and about.

Pachimari

I think only three of them has flash? Gamers Globe, Eurogamer and Computerandvideogames. The rest of them are NeoGAF threads, as I'm using them for news stories at my work.

I closed five of the tabs (basically the second browser) with all my job searching, and so far it doesn't heat up.

PS: Fixed the link. :)

PSS: It heats up again, slowly. I have Google and Google Translate open as well.

PSSS: I'm now moving all of the links to a Pages documents and closing all of the NeoGAF threads (any flash here?), and it seem to cool down a bit now. Now I have 6 tabs open in total: Gamers Globe, Eurogamer, CVG, NeoGAF, Google and Translate.

regs

I'd watch out buying a new mac because in my opinion they've passed their apex in terms of reliable hardware.

I've used apple for quite awhile because of the sexy hardware (specs, design etc) but it seems that anything made after 2010 is garbage. My MBP died today (hard drive), my other MB (non pro) had a faulty motherboard last year and my work MBP had it's motherboard die as well (exactly 1 year ago) This was just general use also. I didn't run any crazy applications on it and because I have multiple machines their use was spread out, hell I even took my Core2 mac with me because I didn't want to hurt my new one.

Oddly enough though my Core2 Mac's work great and have been through hell and back, while the i7's and i5's not so much. This is MY experience though (keep in mind I don't abuse the system etc)

This same trend happened with Sony a few years ago, made awesome products then pretty much anything made after 2003 dies while their older models still continue to work (I am talking about TV's, I have had excellent luck with the Playstation 3)

bionic77

I'd watch out buying a new mac because in my opinion they've passed their apex in terms of reliable hardware.

I've used apple for quite awhile because of the sexy hardware (specs, design etc) but it seems that anything made after 2010 is garbage. My MBP died today (hard drive), my other MB (non pro) had a faulty motherboard last year and my work MBP had it's motherboard die as well (exactly 1 year ago) This was just general use also. I didn't run any crazy applications on it and because I have multiple machines their use was spread out, hell I even took my Core2 mac with me because I didn't want to hurt my new one.

Oddly enough though my Core2 Mac's work great and have been through hell and back, while the i7's and i5's not so much. This is MY experience though (keep in mind I don't abuse the system etc)

This same trend happened with Sony a few years ago, made awesome products then pretty much anything made after 2003 dies while their older models still continue to work (I am talking about TV's, I have had excellent luck with the Playstation 3)
Its always been that way. Buyer beware when buying a first gen Mac product. Wait until the refresh or they have been at it for a few months.

I bought my first MBP back in 2006 right after they just switched to Intel. There were a shit load of problems with the hardware and I was unlucky as well. My laptop was sent in 2x in the first year to fix the graphics card and logic board. I stuck with Apple because of how awesome the service was and never had any problems after that or with my wife's 2010 MBP.

At least Apple gives you a one year warranty and their service is second to none.

whitehawk

Banned
It's crazy how much faster the mouse runs through batteries compared to the keyboard. I've gone through 3 sets of batteries now, while my keyboard is still at 100% juice on the batteries the iMac came with. Good thing I have rechargeable batteries for my mouse.

mn66

Greyface: Thanks for the help! Everything turned out fine (so far) and the machine seems to be in really good shape.

The first thing I have noticed is just how intuitive everything is. I figured there would be some sort of learning curve, but there hasn't thus far.

bionic, the official Macbook Air of Steelers-age is the 13". I went with that one and haven't looked back. The 11" is more portable, sure (it's basically the same size as an iPad) but the 13 offers vital extra resolution, battery life, and and keyboard room. I feel like I can get actual work done on it.

The 11" is nice, but if I was going small I would just get an iPad and not look back...

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, the extra resolution is what convinced me to go 13". And I don't regret it. It's still small, but it's still the same size as my Pro was, but it's a lot lighter and still faster. (I had the C2D)

Pachimari

Can I jailbreak an Apple TV running firmware 4.3?
I just got one as a Christmas present, so this is my first time with an Apple TV.

Hi Guys..

When are the new iMacs coming out?

My bro is thinking of buying one, and I asked him to wait until I get back to him.. so any news of when the new batch of iMacs might come?

thanks in advnace

Hi Guys..

When are the new iMacs coming out?

My bro is thinking of buying one, and I asked him to wait until I get back to him.. so any news of when the new batch of iMacs might come?

thanks in advnace

No one ever knows for certain, but the Mac rumours buyers guide gives a solid indication based off previous releases.

The iMac is currently listed as: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle.

Days Since Update: 229 (Avg = 273)

So maybe around March?

Jasoco

Banned
Key word: Maybe

Apple will release them when they damn well feel like. Most likely three weeks after you give in and buy the current model. It's a proven scientific fact.

Key word: Maybe

Apple will release them when they damn well feel like. Most likely three weeks after you give in and buy the current model. It's a proven scientific fact.

lol .. actually I've been very lucky by deciding to buy/hold with apple products, but that was always based on gut-feeling .. and I'm a patient person :p

I remember when I had mac-mini in my amazon cart, and just before placing the order I said "let's give it 2 days" I was buying it as a gift for my father. The next morning the new mac-minis were out lol

EDIT: since then all the family asks me before buying any gadget. They think I'm an expert haha

Jasoco

Banned
When an update is coming, it's usually preceeded by weeks of blogs going nutso-cuckoo. And none of them are nutso-cuckoo right now, so it won't be for a while.

Just tell them to go to MacRumors Buyers Guide and shut up and get off your back.

Pachimari

I don't understand this.

I got an Apple TV yesterday and I would like to share photos from my computer up-stairs (which works fine) and my father's computer as well. Like on this picture bellow, I thought I could share from two different computer?

DKKnm.png

But it seems like I have to have all computer on the same account/shared network?
If I make my father's computer eligible with my account, will that erase all of his content?

Edit:
Guess I found an answer (Apple forums), bummer.

Futureman

HEY MAC HEADS.

Is Crucial the best for iMac RAM? (buying for a mid-2011 27"er)

For $99.97, I can get 16 GB (4x 4GB chips) w/ 2 day shipping.

I doubt I'll beat that, but I might as well ask before I place my order.

Jasoco

Banned
Crucial. NewEgg. Amazon.

Check all three. Pick the lowest price.

Can't go wrong. RAM is RAM if it works with your iMac.

bionic77

bionic, the official Macbook Air of Steelers-age is the 13". I went with that one and haven't looked back. The 11" is more portable, sure (it's basically the same size as an iPad) but the 13 offers vital extra resolution, battery life, and and keyboard room. I feel like I can get actual work done on it.

The 11" is nice, but if I was going small I would just get an iPad and not look back...
I am leaning towards the 13" but they are both so cool that it is hard to decide.

HEY MAC HEADS.

Is Crucial the best for iMac RAM? (buying for a mid-2011 27"er)

For $99.97, I can get 16 GB (4x 4GB chips) w/ 2 day shipping.

I doubt I'll beat that, but I might as well ask before I place my order.

These days you shouldn't pay more than about 40$/8gb of ram. You can always find a place selling ram at that price.

Futureman

Yea it was actually only $36/8GB at Amazon. But I want it this week so I did $10 2 day shipping.

But I also had $10 in Amazon reward points, so my total came out to ~$72. Can't believe I didn't do this sooner.

bionic77

holy SHIT good call on Amazon.

16 GB RAM w/ 2 day shipping = $84

hahah oh man. My computer is going to scream.
Only if you are playing games or doing something really intensive.

I didn't notice any difference in speed going from 4-8 on my MBP. Going to SSD was the game changer.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. SSD is where you REALLY want to put your money. All the RAM in the world won't make as much a difference as an SSD.

bionic77

Yeah. SSD is where you REALLY want to put your money. All the RAM in the world won't make as much a difference as an SSD.
May as well get both. RAM is really cheap so you may as well max it out now anyways.

RAM can make a big difference if you are editing large videos or photo.

But in everyday usage I agree with you that SSD makes the biggest difference.

Futureman

is there an empty HD slot in an iMac? What path do people generally take when adding an aftermarket SSD into an iMac?

I guess there's also Thunderbolt external HDs, are those even on the market yet?

hobart

New comp just came. It's been awhile since my last (2007 MBP).

15" - 2.4 GhZ i7
750 HD 7200rpm (Wanted the extra space for Windows native)
Hi-Res Screen
8GB Ram

Excited. Down the road I may sub out the DVD drive for an SSD. Depends. It would be my first time installing a second drive and I'm a little concerned about the heat output.

The thing I will miss most about to 2007 is the enter key to the right of the space bar. RIP old friend.

Jasoco

Banned
You'll be fine for more than 3 years. It'll be a long time before any normal use apps need more than 16GB at once. RAM is temporary storage. He'll never really be running too many things that use nearly that much unless he's a Final Cut Pro user or something. In other words, it'll be very hard to force the computer to even page out. I had 8GB and rarely hit that limit and put pages onto the drive. 16GB will be even harder.

SSD will be fine if he installs it inside and keeps a nice fat HDD or three externally. I forget, do newer iMacs still have two hard drive slots? If not, he'll just need an external case for his current internal HDD. Does anyone make any Thunderbolt external cases? (Empty cases, not ones with drives)

noah111

Still Alive
I'm debating getting a MBA 13" to replace my 15" MBP, but a few things first. Is there upgradable res to 1440x900? Also, what has become the max storage capacity for SSD's?

I mean, my 500GB internal HDD on my MBP is beginning not to suffice, so i'm unsure if SSD is my thing right now.

OR I'll wait for the next line of MBa/p and see what they offer. I just want a spec boost along with portability, tbh.

Help me :(

Today, for no obvious reason, Finder and Chrome froze and they had to be force quit. When this didn't work, I tried logging off. This didn't work either, so I shut my iMac down by holding the power button. Now, when I try to log-on, it just remains on the white screen with the spinning wheel. I don't understand what could have caused this.

I held option down when I tried again and I have the option of a recovery HD, which I think was automatically made by Lion. What will happen if I try to boot off this? Any other ideas for what's causing the problem?

I've tried booting into my Windows 7 partition (which is on the same hard drive) and it's working fine, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: So, I went into the recovery partition and repaired the hard drive (the diagnostics said it didn't have any problems in the first place), yet it still won't boot. Should I try a full restore or what?

EDIT 2: Verified, repaired, reset permissions, etc. and now it's working again.

THANK. FUCK.

I'm debating getting a MBA 13" to replace my 15" MBP, but a few things first. Is there upgradable res to 1440x900? Also, what has become the max storage capacity for SSD's?

Max res: 1440x900
Max SSD: 256GB

I guess there might eventually be 512GB aftermarket SSDs for the Air but they will be insanely expensive. (512GB SSDs right now are already really expensive, let alone the custom formfactor for the Air). You'll need to ride an external drive for the rest, as I don't think a 512GB option is coming anytime soon.

Top Bottom