• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Jasoco

Banned
Makes sense. Not sure why I didn't think of that. It really does make sense. They basically just soldered two halves of a 4GB stick as two 2GB sets so the computer runs dual channel. Gotcha. Thanks. All my curiosities are settled for now. All I know is it runs fast and handles better than my C2D did. And that's all I need.

3N16MA

Banned
Well, I took the dive and was directed to this thread. Just got my first MBP. Any suggestions?

Make sure you utilize all the multi-touch trackpad gestures (or at least try them and see what you like). I had a group member in one of my classes who I noticed hardly used any gestures on his MBP. Let him know about a few of them and he was blown away (I was suprised some people really don't utilize many of them).

So my MacBook Pro that I got last year has been starting to hang... Before it was only when I had stuff like AfterEffects and etc open but now it's happening to MS Word and other random programs.

What do you think is the case?

Jasoco

Banned
So I was going to try and install Windows 7 onto my new MacBook Air tonight. Obviously I don't have an optical drive. I also don't have a USB stick of the appropriate size to copy the ISO onto so I thought I'd use a spare USB Hard Drive I have lying around. I figured the computer and Windows couldn't really tell the difference between a USB Flash Drive and a USB Hard Drive. So I went through the entire process in BootCamp. It partitioned the drive, copied the ISO to the USB HDD and downloaded the drivers and rebooted.

But it hung at a black screen with a flashing DOS cursor. No words or anything. I let it sit for a few minutes with no change.

Is it not going to work from a HDD I assume? Or should I have waited longer?

Alternatively, which should I do? Should I buy a USB DVD drive for like $20 just to install Windows and then like never ever use the drive again? Or a USB Flash Drive? If I buy a Flash Drive I'm not going to waste it, I'd want to get a nice big one. Or I could just get a 4GB and probably also never use it. If I got a big Flash Drive will Windows care that the install files are on a drive with so much extra space? The HDD I used was a 250GB drive with just the 3GB of installer files on it.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

amrihua

So my MacBook Pro that I got last year has been starting to hang... Before it was only when I had stuff like AfterEffects and etc open but now it's happening to MS Word and other random programs.

What do you think is the case?

What version of OS X are you running and what are the specs of your machine. RAM upgrades are cheap, you can get 8GB for about $50, that's usually the first thing I'd recommend if you are using Lion and have less than 4GB of RAM.

I have a Core i7 15" MacBook Pro that I bought last year that I've eventually upgraded with 8GB of RAM and an Intel 320 SSD. Many times the real bottleneck is the storage and memory access, and if you have less than 4GB, page swaps will slow your system down significantly.

daw840

I have heard things about something called Apple TV? Does anyone know specifics? Does anything displayed on my MBP get displayed on the TV? Or is it just videos/shows/movies through iTunes?

That's what I'm talking about. Any experiences with this? Can you watch youtube vids or is it just stuff in the cloud?

edit: Also things like southparkstudios.com work on this?

From what I've seen is for a) streaming stuff of your PC/Mac/Laptop itunes library and b) streaming video from whatever select websites it supports (ie: youtube, netflix, vimeo) That's basically it; it's just a tiny PC with a few gigs of flash memory for temporary storage and it's locked down like Fort Knox. No web browser last I saw, so if you really wanted it to freely access those other sites you might need to jailbreak it. And I have no idea if/how that can be done...

I'd say the box is mostly useful for people who want to have an easy hub for their iTunes purchases. You can do the same and better with a macbook and a miniDP->HDMI connector, but it's understandably a hassle to tether your laptop like that every time you want to watch something.

daw840

From what I've seen is for a) streaming stuff of your PC/Mac/Laptop itunes library and b) streaming video from whatever select websites it supports (ie: youtube, netflix, vimeo) That's basically it; it's just a tiny PC with a few gigs of flash memory for temporary storage and it's locked down like Fort Knox. No web browser last I saw, so if you really wanted it to freely access those other sites you might need to jailbreak it. And I have no idea if/how that can be done...

I'd say the box is mostly useful for people who want to have an easy hub for their iTunes purchases. You can do the same and better with a macbook and a miniDP->HDMI connector, but it's understandably a hassle to tether your laptop like that every time you want to watch something.

Damn, I had hoped it was just relaying a video signal from the MBP. Apparently that is not the case....

bionic77

What version of OS X are you running and what are the specs of your machine. RAM upgrades are cheap, you can get 8GB for about $50, that's usually the first thing I'd recommend if you are using Lion and have less than 4GB of RAM.

I have a Core i7 15" MacBook Pro that I bought last year that I've eventually upgraded with 8GB of RAM and an Intel 320 SSD. Many times the real bottleneck is the storage and memory access, and if you have less than 4GB, page swaps will slow your system down significantly.
I never noticed a difference in speed from 4GB to 8GB of ram. I only upgraded because it was so damn cheap.

SSD made the big difference in how "snappy" things felt on the computer. I think there might be something wrong with his computer if it is that new and already slowing down. I don't necessarily think that more ram is the answer. To the poster if you have an Apple store nearby why not schedule an appointment? Sounds like your computer is still under warranty, take advantage of Apple's customer service. That is one of the things you are paying for. I had a similar problem with my 2006 era MBP with random slowdowns and graphic glitches and it turned out to be a problem with the logic board.

Anyone have experience with this?
iN9is.jpg

This has been happening on and off for the past few weeks, I've managed to get it back to normal by blowing into the headphone port or inserting a headphone jack or digital audio cable, but it's been stuck on Digital Audio Out for the past three days and nothing I've done will make it switch back.

MercuryLS

Banned
Hmmm

Sounds like the Mac Pro's are being pulled from Apple Stores.

I've read anecdotal evidence of this...FWIW.

There's rumours that all MBP's will be moving towards SSD and the removal of DVD drives. Basically making them super powered MBA's (but a big bigger and heavier). Watch the rest of the industry follow suit.

There's rumours that all MBP's will be moving towards SSD and the removal of DVD drives. Basically making them super powered MBA's (but a big bigger and heavier). Watch the rest of the industry follow suit.

There are several PC Laptops of larger than netbook/ultrabook size that has skipped the DVD Drive.

Though the original MBA was one of the first to do so, and what a great thing that was. More room for more battery, storage and graphics!

h3ro

Hey everyone, I just got my first Mac. It's a MBP 13" i5 with 8gb of ram. Amazing machine and I'm finding my way through unlearning 20+ years of using Windows OS.

I had a little issue yesterday, I had my charger plugged in, but it wouldn't charge the computer. It was working a moment before, disconnected it for a moment and then when I reconnected it, the green light didn't turn on, nor did the Battery signal in the taskbar acknowledge that it was charging. I changed outlets, rechecked the connection, everything, no luck.

This morning, I tried plugging it in and it worked right away and is charging the laptop fine. Any ideas if this is a charger or laptop issue? The computer is brand new, literally 2 days old.

This morning, I tried plugging it in and it worked right away and is charging the laptop fine. Any ideas if this is a charger or laptop issue? The computer is brand new, literally 2 days old.

Really hard to say, particularly with a new system. You need to basically see if it happens again; if it's not a trend it's hard to diagnose. Make sure to run Software Update to double-check that you have latest firmware and updates.

Apart from that, I've seen it go both ways with past laptops (PCs, mainly) - chargers die, wall outlets (!) die, weird humidity change causes plug not to be recognized...so the good news in your case is that everything seems to have gone back to normal.

Periodically plug in over the next couple of days and look for a charge symbol...

markatisu

You can do a lot of that the stuff he wants via jailbreak as well as running boxee which can stream other media off usb, etc.

For the price, if you do the time to research and expect to do some work software/hack wise its probably a pretty good deal at the $89 its been going for the last few weeks

h3ro

Really hard to say, particularly with a new system. You need to basically see if it happens again; if it's not a trend it's hard to diagnose. Make sure to run Software Update to double-check that you have latest firmware and updates.

Apart from that, I've seen it go both ways with past laptops (PCs, mainly) - chargers die, wall outlets (!) die, weird humidity change causes plug not to be recognized...so the good news in your case is that everything seems to have gone back to normal.

Periodically plug in over the next couple of days and look for a charge symbol...

Thanks, I'll keep my eyes peeled. Working well so far. If I do have an issue though, there isn't a problem with me taking the charger into an Apple store and doing an exchange there, right? Opposed to calling and doing an exchange via snail mail.

Shanks

I'm looking into selling my 2010 13' Macbook Pro. Would I be better of throwing it on eBay or dealing with Craigslist?

I'm looking into selling my 2010 13' Macbook Pro. Would I be better of throwing it on eBay or dealing with Craigslist?

If you're in a moderately large city I would put up a CL ad first, see what responses you get. I would think you could get more on CL than eBay, but just guessing. Can't hurt to put up a (free) CL ad in either case.

mf.luder

iN9is.jpg

This has been happening on and off for the past few weeks, I've managed to get it back to normal by blowing into the headphone port or inserting a headphone jack or digital audio cable, but it's been stuck on Digital Audio Out for the past three days and nothing I've done will make it switch back.

Hey man, used to work for apple and this was a somewhat common problem. The 3.5mm jack would trip the optical 'switch' inside. I see that you've already tried inserting and removing to trip it back. However, if that isn't working youll need to replace the logic board. Hopefully it's under AppleCare.

when was the last iMac spec bump? I'm thinking of getting a desktop for my dad very soon

Back in May was the last bump. There's already record on inventory showing large shipments of 2TB HDD for Apple, so that's definitely a sign that the base model is getting an upgrade. That of course means the whole line is getting an upgrade soon, so maybe hold off a bit.

Back in May was the last bump. There's already record on inventory showing large shipments of 2TB HDD for Apple, so that's definitely a sign that the base model is getting an upgrade. That of course means the whole line is getting an upgrade soon, so maybe hold off a bit.

Thanks

JavyOO7

So I was going to try and install Windows 7 onto my new MacBook Air tonight. Obviously I don't have an optical drive. I also don't have a USB stick of the appropriate size to copy the ISO onto so I thought I'd use a spare USB Hard Drive I have lying around. I figured the computer and Windows couldn't really tell the difference between a USB Flash Drive and a USB Hard Drive. So I went through the entire process in BootCamp. It partitioned the drive, copied the ISO to the USB HDD and downloaded the drivers and rebooted.

But it hung at a black screen with a flashing DOS cursor. No words or anything. I let it sit for a few minutes with no change.

Is it not going to work from a HDD I assume? Or should I have waited longer?

Alternatively, which should I do? Should I buy a USB DVD drive for like $20 just to install Windows and then like never ever use the drive again? Or a USB Flash Drive? If I buy a Flash Drive I'm not going to waste it, I'd want to get a nice big one. Or I could just get a 4GB and probably also never use it. If I got a big Flash Drive will Windows care that the install files are on a drive with so much extra space? The HDD I used was a 250GB drive with just the 3GB of installer files on it.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

When I installed Windows on my 2011 Mini I did this...

8GB flash drive to put Windows ISO in
4GB flash drive to put the Windows drivers in

Worked liked a charm after that.

Jasoco

Banned
When I installed Windows on my 2011 Mini I did this...

8GB flash drive to put Windows ISO in
4GB flash drive to put the Windows drivers in

Worked liked a charm after that.
So I guess it actually knows if it's a Flash drive or a HDD? That's silly but I guess there's a reason. I'm not going to worry about it right now because I installed it into a Parallels 7 Virtual Machine for now and surprisingly my MacBook Air runs Super Meat Boy just as fast as it did when I had it in BootCamp on my old machine. Plus I'm saving drive space by not dedicating a partition to it. However if I had gotten the Air with the 256GB drive, I would have definitely dedicated some space for Windows Bootcamp.

Thanks. I will have to look into getting myself a Flash drive of 8GB. I notice however that the second drive isn't needed anymore with the BootCamp assistant as it will copy the drivers to the same drive as the Windows installer so it saves having a second drive to insert.

Jasoco

Banned
If that's all you do, the Air will be amazing. Not that it's underpowered, no siree bob. The Air is a great machine with a super fast speed and all Flash internals that's lighter than air. I pick mine up all the time just to marvel at how light it is.

The Pro is good if you need a built-in Optical or will be doing a lot of intensive stuff. Or big games. My Air runs lesser games like SMB, LIMBO, Braid, Minecraft, Isaac and others with no problem. Especially Minecraft which no longer has horrible stuttering and frame drops. It's an Intel HD 3000.

If that's all you do, the Air will be amazing. Not that it's underpowered, no siree bob. The Air is a great machine with a super fast speed and all Flash internals that's lighter than air. I pick mine up all the time just to marvel at how light it is.

The Pro is good if you need a built-in Optical or will be doing a lot of intensive stuff. Or big games. My Air runs lesser games like SMB, LIMBO, Braid, Minecraft, Isaac and others with no problem. Especially Minecraft which no longer has horrible stuttering and frame drops. It's an Intel HD 3000.

Do you work at a apple store? :D

Jasoco

Banned
Depends. If it's Flash, you might notice slight pauses and frame skips even on the smallest video because FLASH FUCKING SUCKS ASS.

If it's just H.264, you shouldn't have a problem.

I never go higher than 720p even on my 1440x900 screen with Flash though.

Munin

Question: I wanna get an Apple Cinema display, so that I can use it both with my 2011 Macbook Air, but also a a Windows gaming PC I am planning to put together later down the road. Now it seems to me the new Thunderbolt display has great integration with the MBA but zero chance to be used with any non-Apple computer. So what if I bought one of the non-Thunderbolt displays that Apple still offers? I can buy a MiniDisplay adapter for that, correct? But how would I connect the MBA to it if it only has a Thunderbolt port?

Also, are the Cinema displays suitable for gaming at all? Are there any other 27" or, if need be, 24" displays of similar image quality that I can use with both computers for these purposes?

So what if I bought one of the non-Thunderbolt displays that Apple still offers? I can buy a MiniDisplay adapter for that, correct? But how would I connect the MBA to it if it only has a Thunderbolt port?

The Thunderbolt port is actually a mini-Displayport. When you go to an apple store and ask for a HDMI or DVI adapter for your MBA, they literally sell you a mini-DP->HDMI or DVI adapter. So basically Thunderbolt is cross compatible with DP.

I think it's definitely a good idea to take a look at their non-thunderbolt display - I vaguely recall it might have various ports you might want - but since you do have the 2011MBA thunderbolt would give you that advantage of reducing the amount of cables needed when you plug-in.

I hear games look pretty good on these displays, but if you wanted something cheaper there is still a lot of respect for the Dell UltraSharp series at 24/27/30".

Jasoco

Banned
Important question. What is the range of the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Magic Trackpad? I want to ask for one for Christmas but I need it to go 10-12 feet across the room. I'm afraid the range might not work at all.

3N16MA

Banned
Important question. What is the range of the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Magic Trackpad? I want to ask for one for Christmas but I need it to go 10-12 feet across the room. I'm afraid the range might not work at all.

Don't have the trackpad but I just tested out my keyboard from about 20 feet away and it worked fine.

Jasoco

Banned
That's good. Googling seems to say 30 feet. But I have never had a Bluetooth device that successfully worked with anything before. None of my phones have ever connected at all. If not for the promise of Apple hardware with Apple hardware, I would write Bluetooth off. I will trust the internet and your experiences.

Is there any noticeable delay with them? Especially at a 12 foot range?

3N16MA

Banned
That's good. Googling seems to say 30 feet. But I have never had a Bluetooth device that successfully worked with anything before. None of my phones have ever connected at all. If not for the promise of Apple hardware with Apple hardware, I would write Bluetooth off. I will trust the internet and your experiences.

Is there any noticeable delay with them? Especially at a 12 foot range?

I opened up a blank document and started typing random stuff from across the room which is more than 12 feet away. No delay that I can see.

iN9is.jpg

If you do need to replace the logic board to fix this problem, you could consider getting a DAC and cheap speakers to hold you over till then. I assume you can't use headphones or built in speakers till it's fixed.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2

nel e nel

You can do a lot of that the stuff he wants via jailbreak as well as running boxee which can stream other media off usb, etc.

For the price, if you do the time to research and expect to do some work software/hack wise its probably a pretty good deal at the $89 its been going for the last few weeks

If you have an Xbox, I'll save you the time and refer you to Connect360:

http://www.nullriver.com/products/connect360

It basically enables your Xbox to access it's media files. Try the demo first (allows access to a limited number of files) to see if you like it. It's only $20 to unlock the full version.

There are several PC Laptops of larger than netbook/ultrabook size that has skipped the DVD Drive.

Though the original MBA was one of the first to do so, and what a great thing that was. More room for more battery, storage and graphics!

Yeah, there's no reason not to. If you need a DVD drive you can purchase an inexpensive external drive and use it whenever you have to and stash it away for the 3-6 month period that you go without needing it.

If you have an Xbox, I'll save you the time and refer you to Connect360:

http://www.nullriver.com/products/connect360

It basically enables your Xbox to access it's media files. Try the demo first (allows access to a limited number of files) to see if you like it. It's only $20 to unlock the full version.

Let me save you time and money and refer you to Rivet.

http://thelittleappfactory.com/rivet/

It's been discontinued, so the developer has made it a free download.

Even so, Connect 360 hasn't been updated in years whereas Rivet's newest update is a few months back. (I believe.)

Top Bottom