• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

kennah

Since you're posting here... can you explain in detail how this works, why it is possible? Every one of your posts has screamed SCAM to me, but what do I know, maybe it's legit. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt if you can explain it all.

Since you're posting here... can you explain in detail how this works, why it is possible? Every one of your posts has screamed SCAM to me, but what do I know, maybe it's legit. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt if you can explain it all.

Haha, I can see that. I'm just able to get a discount on select items from Sweetwater. It's not everything unfortunately. Basically I know a guy.

Just trying to help out fellow GAFFERS. I've had a few hit me up but they wanted a few higher-end MBPs that are unfortunately not eligible.

Pinewood

Not sure if this acceptable in here. If not, I'll delete. I figured I'd offer this in here since it's Mac-specific.

Mac people, if you're looking for a new Mac ($1200 MSRP) and want to save a few hundred, I can get it and send it to your house directly.
God damn you US people with your cheaper currency cheaper prices and now this 😭

Clefargle

I've been running my iMac in target display mode as a second screen for my MacBook for a couple of months now and I'm really feeling it. But I'm starting to run low on space and trying to consolidate leads me to ask:

Can I run target disk mode at the same time as target display mode?

giga

Two weeks till we find out if we're gonna be waiting until the fall for new MacBooks.

(I'd be okay with it only if we get kaby lake. considering the latest KGI report says it'll include TB3, i'm inclined to think it will be, and thus we won't see anything at wwdc.)

EmiPrime

I've been running my iMac in target display mode as a second screen for my MacBook for a couple of months now and I'm really feeling it. But I'm starting to run low on space and trying to consolidate leads me to ask:

Can I run target disk mode at the same time as target display mode?

I'm fairly sure you can't.

Two weeks till we find out if we're gonna be waiting until the fall for new MacBooks.

(I'd be okay with it only if we get kaby lake. considering the latest KGI report says it'll include TB3, i'm inclined to think it will be, and thus we won't see anything at wwdc.)

Skylake can run TB3 with an extra controller on the motherboard

Sure I'm not saying TB3 confirms kaby lake, just that it's a higher likelihood of it, especially if it's coming in Q4.

I still read that Q4 prediction as fiscal Q4, not calendar. Mostly because Apple would be giving up new hardware for Back to School

But also because I sold my 2014 MBPr in anticipation and I need a computer 😭 The iPad Pro gets 90% of the way there but it feels weird not having an actually laptop

EmiPrime

If anyone needs the extra ports they can buy the MBA or MBP now. The current models are extremely reliable and capable.

A few years from now, maybe MagSafe will make a return and there'll be a lot more USB-C accessories out there. No need to be an early adopter if having to buy new gear or use dongles doesn't appeal.

jts

...hate me...
Even if I'll miss MagSafe, I absolutely can't say that the prospect of inexpensive Mac charging isn't enticing.

Vs $80 MagSafe chargers.

Fuchsdh

If anyone needs the extra ports they can buy the MBA or MBP now. The current models are extremely reliable and capable.

A few years from now, maybe MagSafe will make a return and there'll be a lot more USB-C accessories out there. No need to be an early adopter if having to buy new gear or use dongles doesn't appeal.

Doesn't someone already make a MagSafe-like USB-C adapter? I imagine it'll become a small but effectively competitive industry from NewerTech and/or OWC.

Ambitious

Barely 50.000 rows, and Numbers completely shits the bed. It's beachballing all the time and every single change can take several seconds. Useless.

Deku Tree

Apple doesn't want me to use my laptop while it's plugged in anymore. I'm supposed to charge it at night and use it unplugged during the day. That's the idea behind USB-C without mag safe I guess. Good luck using remote play on your laptop.

I like the look of that OLED touch panel though.

bionic77

Touchscreen instead of function keys is the dumbest idea I've heard for the pro line. Please Apple, don't.
I feel like people said the same thing about the new touchpad and that ended up being an improvement.

I was skeptical of that and I am skeptical of this, but lets wait and see if it actually offers any real improvements.

The lack of an SD slot is really disappointing for the new mbp's. No way to really spin that one.

FWIW, As the owner of an 11" Air, I have grown to love my $7 USB2 SD/etc reader.

I also don't give two shits about the OLED F keys provided the escape key is easily hit (vim for life), though hopefully it is at least better than Lenovo's by the same margin the trackpad is.

Fuchsdh

I rarely use the function keys on the laptop anyhow so it'll be interesting to see if giving them software support will make them more useful.

SD slots going away mostly only matters to the people who used them for storage. Can just connect your cameras or hubs via USB.

I rarely use the function keys on the laptop anyhow so it'll be interesting to see if giving them software support will make them more useful.

SD slots going away mostly only matters to the people who used them for storage. Can just connect your cameras or hubs via USB.

Not a solution, and I don't even use my camera that much. So much more convenient to pop in and out a card. The goal is to carry less cords, not more.

Deku Tree

Not a solution, and I don't even use my camera that much. So much more convenient to pop in and out a card. The goal is to carry less cords, not more.

Well I'm sure you'll be able to buy the current MacBook Pro for several years into the future. And it will only get cheaper. And with the SSDs they put in them it's gonna be an untra fast machine for many years to come.

I'm just gonna wait and see what the full picture before passing judgement. I personally am not gonna miss the SD card slot too much.

And I'm the guy who keeps a 2008 MBP in my drawer just in case I want to do something with a DVD.

Fuchsdh

Awesome for you.

I don't get the point of the continual strive for being thin and portable if we need to carry a gear bag of cords and adapters with us wherever we go.

I think John Siracusa's expression of the "naked robotic core" makes the most sense as a way of thinking about it.

You can add adapters and cords if you need them, but leaving all that stuff outside means that you have a smaller, thinner computer for the people who *don't* need those things.

The biggest thing that seems like it would annoy people here isn't MagSafe or the SD card slot or HDMI, it seems like it'd be adopting the MacBook's keys. Seems very much like a divisive keyboard for Mac pundits at least, although like most things I figure you get used to it quite quickly if you have to use it—got 80wpm with 90%+ accuracy my first go-round on the retina MacBook keyboard when I tried it out, and I run with a Das Keyboard at home.

Oh, had a thought—does this MBP refresh mean we will finally see the death of the OG non-retina MBP?

I think John Siracusa's expression of the "naked robotic core" makes the most sense as a way of thinking about it.

You can add adapters and cords if you need them, but leaving all that stuff outside means that you have a smaller, thinner computer for the people who *don't* need those things.

The biggest thing that seems like it would annoy people here isn't MagSafe or the SD card slot or HDMI, it seems like it'd be adopting the MacBook's keys. Seems very much like a divisive keyboard for Mac pundits at least, although like most things I figure you get used to it quite quickly if you have to use it—got 80wpm with 90%+ accuracy my first go-round on the retina MacBook keyboard when I tried it out, and I run with a Das Keyboard at home.

Oh, had a thought—does this MBP refresh mean we will finally see the death of the OG non-retina MBP?

I just think the whole point of continually getting smaller and lighter has reached the point of diminishing returns. Yes, your MacBook weighs two pounds. How less portable do you make it when you do so at the expense of connectivity and battery life? Not saying that Apple needs to strive for increased battery life on anything other than their phones, it's more of a contention point with the industry in general. I'm glad that we are getting to a point where a solid eight hours of productivity is the goal no matter the OS.

Apple, on the other hand, I pick a bone with connections. If USBc is the future, ditch Lightning. It makes no sense to take along a USBc charger and a Lightning cable. And while adapters are nice, those get lost super fast. One connection to rule them all. I bemoan the loss of the SD card slot if true, but a USBc card reader wouldn't be so awful. One where you can charge and transfer data at the same time would be even better.

Fuchsdh

I just think the whole point of continually getting smaller and lighter has reached the point of diminishing returns. Yes, your MacBook weighs two pounds. How less portable do you make it when you do so at the expense of connectivity and battery life? Not saying that Apple needs to strive for increased battery life on anything other than their phones, it's more of a contention point with the industry in general. I'm glad that we are getting to a point where a solid eight hours of productivity is the goal no matter the OS.

Apple, on the other hand, I pick a bone with connections. If USBc is the future, ditch Lightning. It makes no sense to take along a USBc charger and a Lightning cable. And while adapters are nice, those get lost super fast. One connection to rule them all. I bemoan the loss of the SD card slot if true, but a USBc card reader wouldn't be so awful. One where you can charge and transfer data at the same time would be even better.

As I think I've brought up, unfortunately USB-C doesn't quite replace Lightning totally, including in being thicker... so I doubt we're getting rid of it on iOS devices any time soon.

In terms of thinner and lighter... I agree it's a difficult subject. Really the iPhone 4S was thin enough for me, and I'd rather have a phone that could last two or three full days of usage than a thinner phone. But at some point if the goal is some futuristic wonder phone that's as thin as a piece of flexible plastic, you've got to keep innovating. We aren't just going to get from our phones now to those phones without struggle, missteps, and some design choices others don't care about.

As I think I've brought up, unfortunately USB-C doesn't quite replace Lightning totally, including in being thicker... so I doubt we're getting rid of it on iOS devices any time soon.

In terms of thinner and lighter... I agree it's a difficult subject. Really the iPhone 4S was thin enough for me, and I'd rather have a phone that could last two or three full days of usage than a thinner phone. But at some point if the goal is some futuristic wonder phone that's as thin as a piece of flexible plastic, you've got to keep innovating. We aren't just going to get from our phones now to those phones without struggle, missteps, and some design choices others don't care about.

I don't see Apple ditching Lightning for USB-C, but it would have made the world a much better place. I think we can all agree the aftermarket doesn't really move on something until Apple does. The iPhone 4 was my last Apple device I used regularly, but only because of size. It was certainly better than the S3 I went for. The decision to go with USB-C charging for the Nexus and laptops has slightly influenced my tech choices lately.

In a perfect world (mine, at least), I'd be able to take a phone, a tablet, a laptop and a dedicated camera with me on a trip and only bring one power supply. The last big trip I took was three years ago, and declined to bring my DSLR along because of weight and power concerns. As a result, the pictures I took with my phone mostly sucked.

Mindwipe

I feel like people said the same thing about the new touchpad and that ended up being an improvement.

I was skeptical of that and I am skeptical of this, but lets wait and see if it actually offers any real improvements.

The lack of an SD slot is really disappointing for the new mbp's. No way to really spin that one.

I still think the new touchpad is pretty inferior to the old one.

At the very least we could apply thumbscrews to the genius who put Lightning charging ports on the Mac mouse and keyboard.

EmiPrime

Doesn't someone already make a MagSafe-like USB-C adapter? I imagine it'll become a small but effectively competitive industry from NewerTech and/or OWC.

Probably yeah, the first attempt left a bit to be desired but it will be iterated one. Having to make the cable two pieces will always be a compromise although at least with the MBP as there is more than one port you'll be able to leave the laptop end plugged in I guess.

bionic77

I still think the new touchpad is pretty inferior to the old one.
I like the new one better because I feel you can click on the entire trackpad now.

To be fair I am just basing this on a few minutes of use at the Apple Store. None of my Macs have this so I have not used it day to day.

Fuchsdh

I like the new one better because I feel you can click on the entire trackpad now.

To be fair I am just basing this on a few minutes of use at the Apple Store. None of my Macs have this so I have not used it day to day.

Everyone I've talked to who uses it has just said "max the trackpad firmness setting" and its indistinguishable.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Maybe I was that guy who yelled at the cloud when they got rid of the floppy drive but for a pro laptop I feel like it still needs an SD slot.

I am cool with USB C. Everything will be USB C in another year or two.

Apple needs to stop pruning the features on their pro laptop line. Simple as that.
When I buy a "pro" model I expect power, configurability, and compatibility.

Couldn't give two shit's about ultra-slim form factor or fancy keyboard bling. I want something that works and allows me to get my work done efficiently. Leave those features for the Macbook base line.

jts

...hate me...
It makes sense that there's no MBP announcement at WWDC if it's Q3 or Q4 launch. To long of a wait to nowadays.

Although it is suspicious that the leaks came out now.

Let's wait and see.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Don't think they've done a November event. It's too far into the holiday quarter. So I'm calling October.
More likely. I couldn't remember when it usually was. Makes sense. A month after the iPhone release but still enough time before the holiday. Just as they have before.

Don't think they've done a November event. It's too far into the holiday quarter. So I'm calling October.

Just please by quad-core Kaby Lake. That's all I ask.

This fall's going to be expensive.

New iPhone for me and my mom for her birthday/Christmas (selling old ones to recoup costs). New MacBook Pro. Likely a new UHD AppleTV.

cogent

Banned
Don't think my 2010 MBP will make it that long...May have to just get the 2015 model followed by a healthy portion of buyers remorse :/

EmiPrime

Stuff I want for 10.12:

• An increased focus on security as Apple have gotten complacent on OS X.
  • Photos isn't too bad now that there are good plugins available for editing but I want the core app to be greatly improved too. I hope the rumours are true.
  • New file system.
    yeah, I know...
  • Selective sync for iCloud Drive.
  • Tags in Notes.app and something like the Evernote web clipper.
  • A Backblaze type backup service.
  • Favicons in Safari!

I am happy with my hardware, wow me with software.

Top Bottom