• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

X-Frame

What is the reasoning for removing the MagSafe on rMBP's?

Is it because they want the USB-C to be how you charge and connect? Hopefully there are like 4 of those suckers then.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Is it because they want the USB-C to be how you charge and connect? Hopefully there are like 4 of those suckers then.
I dunno. It's stupid as hell. They already made MagSafe thinner. How much thinner does it need to get? I don't care if they did a MagSafe 3 that was as thin as the USB-C connector, we need the magnet. It makes no sense to remove it. Ives needs to rethink things before he goes overboard.

Fuchsdh

At this point with how thin and light laptops are getting the whole concept of MagSafe probably would need a reworking anyhow. You need an "anchor" on the PC side for the magnet to give in the first place. So the lighter the laptop the weaker the magnet and hence the power connection will be... MagSafe 2 was already rather finicky in comparison.

giga

So we can use external battery packs and charge from either side of the laptop. Fuck yeah.

jts

...hate me...
Also, that you don't need to buy and use expensive proprietary chargers. Your choice of charger. Your choice of cable. Maybe don't even carry a charger around because someone will have one. Or use your phone's charger.

That's kinda awesome. But of course that MagSafe safety will be missed.

Maybe go around it with some sort of low-friction cable for charging purposes. Not a fan of the break-away USB-C cable someone made.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
At this point with how thin and light laptops are getting the whole concept of MagSafe probably would need a reworking anyhow. You need an "anchor" on the PC side for the magnet to give in the first place. So the lighter the laptop the weaker the magnet and hence the power connection will be... MagSafe 2 was already rather finicky in comparison.
Thing is eventually the machine gets so light that it ends up being flung across the table because the connection didn't give.

Has anyone done tests with the new MacBook? Does the USB-C connection disconnect easily when a dog or human trips over the cable? If so then I'm not worried. Does the laptop slide much at all? These are the tests I haven't seen yet.

Fuchsdh

Thing is eventually the machine gets so light that it ends up being flung across the table because the connection didn't give.

Has anyone done tests with the new MacBook? Does the USB-C connection disconnect easily when a dog or human trips over the cable? If so then I'm not worried. Does the laptop slide much at all? These are the tests I haven't seen yet.

I haven't either. I suppose if you're fine with a few dirty looks at the Apple Store you could test it.

Fuchsdh

I'm pretty sure they chain all their machines to the tables. I'd be surprised if any of them can go more than 2 feet if not 1.

Should be enough tension to test the cables, although it just occurred to me since there's only one port they probably have the security lock system attached to that, so maybe never mind :p

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Should be enough tension to test the cables, although it just occurred to me since there's only one port they probably have the security lock system attached to that, so maybe never mind :p
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the security lock is part of the power cable on all Apple Store machines. It's like a special cable that grips tighter or something.

Well at least for most machines. I really haven't been in an Apple Store in a few years. Not since I got this MBP in 2013 actually I think.

Edit: Or that above. Of course.

Either way, if it ever came to it (I'm not in the market for a while) I'd probably just ask the employee if they've ever tested it out.

Is it possible to find 3rd party chargers that don't cost an arm and a leg?

Both of my magsafe chargers are physically breaking in multiple spots, and I'm not looking forward to paying $180 to replace them.

Deku Tree

With all those new iCloud functionality Apple better up their horrible sized free iCloud tier or I'm just gonna keep using other free cloud service providers.

jts

...hate me...
With all those new iCloud functionality Apple better up their horrible sized free iCloud tier or I'm just gonna keep using other free cloud service providers.
I think they are trying to make the service attractive enough to make more people want to subscribe to the premium tiers, giving more free space doesn't play very well into that.

I am of the opinion that the free tier size should be per active device and not per account though. 3 devices = 15GB sounds good.

Deku Tree

I think they are trying to make the service attractive enough to make more people want to subscribe to the premium tiers, giving more free space doesn't play very well into that.

I am of the opinion that the free tier size should be per active device and not per account though. 3 devices = 15GB sounds good.

Google does everything apple is doing and more with cloud storage, on all Apple devices, and they give me so much free storage that I never need anything else. I doubt Apple is going to let me open word files, pdf files, and spread sheets directly from their desktop folder on iPad... But I've been able to do that with the google drive app for years already.

jts

...hate me...
Google does everything apple is doing and more with cloud storage, on all Apple devices, and they give me so much free storage that I never need anything else. I doubt Apple is going to let me open word files, pdf files, and spread sheets directly from their desktop folder on iPad... But I've been able to do that with the google drive app for years already.
They can't do certain stuff like backing up iOS devices, even photos don't get backed up at full resolution, no integration with iTunes Match either and certainly they will not let you do what Apple is proposing to do regarding macOS Sierra and iCloud, so even if Google gives you infinite storage you cannot use your Apple devices to their full without iCloud. That's the added value of the service.

But of course you're free to stick with all those services instead, why not.

Deku Tree

They can't do certain stuff like backing up iOS devices, even photos don't get backed up at full resolution, no integration with iTunes Match either and certainly they will not let you do what Apple is proposing to do regarding macOS Sierra and iCloud, so even if Google gives you infinite storage you cannot use your Apple devices to their full without iCloud. That's the added value of the service.

But of course you're free to stick with all those services instead, why not.

I don't ever really feel the need to use cloud backups, or iTunes Match, or photo's backup. I guess I'm just used to backing up stuff the way I used to before we had all these services. Still works just as easily as any of that new stuff would IMO.

Ambitious

Eh.. what the hell?

In Photos.app, I'm using a smart folder to display all pictures which are not in any album. Once in a while, I go through them and move them to the appropriate albums.

Last time I checked (about a week ago), there were about 20 pictures. I just opened the app again, and.. well, the pictures are still there, but there's an additional one in the smart folder. A picture I took in 2013.

What?

So I thought I'd be able to go until the new MBPrs come out without a computer. I cannot, I'm gonna need one in the meantime. Looking at the refurbished store so I can buy one to get me by, sell it, then pick up the shiny new ones whenever they decide to come out. I assume when I'm dead and buried

Fuchsdh

So I thought I'd be able to go until the new MBPrs come out without a computer. I cannot, I'm gonna need one in the meantime. Looking at the refurbished store so I can buy one to get me by, sell it, then pick up the shiny new ones whenever they decide to come out. I assume when I'm dead and buried

Sometime before Thanksgiving, possibly in August/Sept for back to school.

Sometime before Thanksgiving, possibly in August/Sept for back to school.

Right, I'm just taking summer classes now and getting by on my iPad Pro, but one of my online classes needs Flash to render which is super dumb. Even if they're announced at the end of the month I'm going to need something for July/August and refurb is my best option. I'll just buy it, make a time machine backup and slide it on over to the new computer when I get it

cogent

Banned
One theory is that they're skipping skylake and waiting for its successor to ship in volume.

Ugh. It's really starting to get to me. My 2010 is really showing its age now. Streaming things is getting painful. I'd get the Macbook but 12" is too small for me, 13" is what I need and would happily buy a 13" Macbook, but it doesn't exist...I know the current Pro's would be fine but I just take issue with buying something right before its about to be updated.

Ninja Dom

You know, after over 10 years of being a Mac only user at home, I only really use stock Apple apps. Forgetting games, the only 3rd party apps I use are VLC, Handbrake and SSD Fan Control. That's all.

I use the Apple suite of apps for everything else. Including Pages, Numbers, Keynote if I need that kind of software

What 3rd party apps do you all use regularly?

jts

...hate me...
You know, after over 10 years of being a Mac only user at home, I only really use stock Apple apps. Forgetting games, the only 3rd party apps I use are VLC, Handbrake and SSD Fan Control. That's all.

I use the Apple suite of apps for everything else. Including Pages, Numbers, Keynote if I need that kind of software

GrandPerspective to figure out my hard drive space usage.
Whatsapp... eh not sure if it counts. It’s just a web wrapper for Whatsapp Web.
Caffeine to prevent Mac from sleeping with a quick menu bar toggle.
F.lux to do the same as Night Shift does in iOS.

Ocasional use:
A Better Finder Renamer: to batch rename files and such.
Transmission for torrents.
SelfControl to block websites during a certain period of time when I’m not being successful at staying away and need to be productive.
Calibre to manage my books (for Kindle).
cocunutBattery to check on my battery’s health once in a while.

Almost all of these apps are free. Used to use BetterTouchTool as well, but then it stopped being free and I bailed.

And that’s more or less it I think? Of course there’s the also the ocasional use of the big hitters sometimes (Word, PS) and also lots of small tool apps that have helped me in some specific issue or other.

Ulysses, 1password, slack, telegram messenger, mail plane/ airmail, Line, alfred, bartender.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Almost all of these apps are free. Used to use BetterTouchTool as well, but then it stopped being free and I bailed.
That's just silly if you ask me. It's totally worth the fee. Plus if you own BTT Remote on iOS you get it for free. For me it's irreplaceable. Plus it has those new key sequences you can use. BTT just keeps getting better. Seems silly to dump it because they ask for a small one time lifetime fee.

Same with Carbon Copy Cloner. Indispensable. But it does cost $40. But it's well worth it.

ethomaz

Banned
I give up... fuck Apple.

So what actual model is better MF841 or MJLT2??? 13" or 15"???

Some help because I'm really confuse about which one is better for me.

- Dev coding (IOS or Win)
- VM Windows (for Win dev)
- Some Unity learn with a gaming group

I guess these are the main tasks.

Charcoal

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but generally speaking, when do iPads get their annual refresh?

I need one for school in August and I don't want buy one now if there's a newer model in September.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I give up... fuck Apple.

So what actual model is better MF841 or MJLT2??? 13" or 15"???

Some help because I'm really confuse about which one is better for me.

- Dev coding (IOS or Win)
- VM Windows (for Win dev)
- Some Unity learn with a gaming group

I guess these are the main tasks.
Well... do you want a 15" screen or a 13" screen?

With Retina, you can set the 15" to 1920x1200. And with the 13" you can do 1680x1050. So...

15" is for me.

But I'd actually not mind a 13" if I needed to.

Go 15" unless you really want 13".

ethomaz

Banned
Well... do you want a 15" screen or a 13" screen?

With Retina, you can set the 15" to 1920x1200. And with the 13" you can do 1680x1050. So...

15" is for me.

But I'd actually not mind a 13" if I needed to.

Go 15" unless you really want 13".
I guess I will go with 15".

My plan is buy it now, use for these 4 months, sell it and buy the new one late this year.

Pinewood

Any news if they will updated the SE this year along with the main line? Im really itching for a new phone and SE seems like a solid piece, but 3Dtouch man...

Any news if they will updated the SE this year along with the main line? Im really itching for a new phone and SE seems like a solid piece, but 3Dtouch man...

Apple's yearly upgrade plan isn't available on the SE, so it's either getting refreshed this September or next September. My money is on next September because refreshing that size phone 6 months after release would lead to a lot of pissed off people

X-Frame

For anyone here waiting for new rMBP's, provided that all the features and specs are what you want, will you be insta-purchasing it as soon as they become available?

Or do you think it would be worthwhile to wait for early reviews or something?

I plan on buying AppleCare anyway, and pulling the trigger immediately once I can order one but just curious what everyone else's plan is.

For anyone here waiting for new rMBP's, provided that all the features and specs are what you want, will you be insta-purchasing it as soon as they become available?

I plan on buying AppleCare anyway, and pulling the trigger immediately once I can order one but just curious what everyone else's plan is.

Insta purchase, idgaf. I need a computer stat

cogent

Banned
Apple pulls legacy non-Retina MacBook Pro from retail store displays

While the computer is still largely in stock and available to buy, some stores are no longer putting it out for shoppers to try in person, according to a tip received by AppleInsider and confirmed with follow-up checks with several Apple Stores around the U.S.

A clerk at an Austin location notably said that their store had pulled non-Retina units from the showfloor just last week, and that other stores were doing the same.

A phase-out would make sense, as the company last updated the computer in 2012, reserving future upgrades for Retina models. In fact all of Apple's major products now have Retina displays, with the exception of the MacBook Air.

ethomaz

Banned

Insta.

Deku Tree

Guess it's finally dying when they come out with the new rMBPs, I'm still pretty amazed it last that long. Gotta love die-hard "I need to upgrade!" people and education "get me the cheapest of X I can find" types.

Small Schools and other companies want to buy the cheapest thing because for them every dollar counts. And some people still funny enough feel that they need a disk drive fofor whatever reason.

Fuchsdh

Small Schools and other companies want to buy the cheapest thing because for them every dollar counts. And some people still funny enough feel that they need a disk drive fofor whatever reason.

Honestly they'd be better off buying Chromebooks if that's the case, and it seems like that's what's happening. As much as I love Macs and think their ease of use and durability plus customer service make them worth it... in absolute value terms I don't think you can justify them in an .edu setting if the schools themselves are buying. Just running everything through a web interface saves on storage, deployment, and downtime for replacement.

Top Bottom