• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

mackaveli

I have the MacBook Pro 15 inch with touch bar. When I'm watching movies or shows full screen on the display. I . notice the colour changes a little bit every couple of seconds. Like its brighter then gets a little dim or something. Anyone know why this happens? and how to fix it?

I think its like a colour hue change?

Just going to quote this as it was the last post on previous page.

I was using Chrome for videos adn noticed it. I tried Safari and still notice the colour ever so slightly changing when watching videos.

Actually nearly time for me to take a decision with my upgrade. Ive been procrastinating for a while. My friend bought the 13" touch bar in the US and returned it because the battery life was in his words "much less with my work" than the 13" retina from last year he traded in. He got the 15" touch bar one and is sticking with it. My options are buy 13" Air 512 8GB RAM as a stop gap for 1-2 years now or wait until I can afford 15" touch bar. Thoughts?

Animator

Actually nearly time for me to take a decision with my upgrade. Ive been procrastinating for a while. My friend bought the 13" touch bar in the US and returned it because the battery life was in his words "much less with my work" than the 13" retina from last year he traded in. He got the 15" touch bar one and is sticking with it. My options are buy 13" Air 512 8GB RAM as a stop gap for 1-2 years now or wait until I can afford 15" touch bar. Thoughts?

Honestly, I would wait. 15" with the touch bar is a gorgeous device.

Guess Who

Banned
However, a switch to Kaby Lake AND nvidia would make me upset that I bought in right now instead of waiting. Especially if they get like a 1060 into the 15"

No chance of a 1060. I'd expect a 1050, and even that is slightly higher in TDP than the Radeon Pros Apple is shipping now (40-50W vs 35W). TDP on the 1060 is 70-80W, which is way higher than Apple's shipped in an MBP in many years.

Now that Apple's using USB-C for charging, they are effectively capped at 100W tops for how much power consumption an entire MBP can use unless they want to switch back to MagSafe or the like.

No chance of a 1060. I'd expect a 1050, and even that is slightly higher in TDP than the Radeon Pros Apple is shipping now (40-50W vs 35W). TDP on the 1060 is 70-80W, which is way higher than Apple's shipped in an MBP in many years.

Now that Apple's using USB-C for charging, they are effectively capped at 100W tops for how much power consumption an entire MBP can use unless they want to switch back to MagSafe or the like.

Isn't MagSafe capped at 85W?

Guess Who

Banned
Isn't MagSafe capped at 85W?

That's the highest-wattage MagSafe they ever made, but I'm not aware of any reason they couldn't make a larger one. Apple owns and makes MagSafe, so they could theoretically make it however strong they want. USB Power Delivery spec tops out at 100W, though.

Unless they switch to Nvidia GPUs, the Kaby Lake update will be almost meaningless on the MBP.

The CPU itself, sure. But it'd add UHDP video support, and the next refresh might add the additional battery capacity, the higher resolution screen, 10-bit color, and potentially that new dedicated ARM CPU for Power Nap operations.

Fuchsdh

The CPU itself, sure. But it'd add UHDP video support, and the next refresh might add the additional battery capacity, the higher resolution screen, 10-bit color, and potentially that new dedicated ARM CPU for Power Nap operations.

If we just started hearing about it I doubt we'd see it in shipping products that fast, but who knows.

Coworker bought a 15 inch Space Gray MBP.

SO BEAUTIFUL

*edit*

If Apple plugged even a GTX1050 I would probably get on it (just for after effects)

Fuchsdh

Coworker bought a 15 inch Space Gray MBP.

SO BEAUTIFUL

*edit*

If Apple plugged even a GTX1050 I would probably get on it (just for after effects)

Might as well roll an eGPU at this point. Apple isn't going to put anything more than a midrange mobile card in their laptops.

Guess Who

Banned

There's been no rumors of higher-res screens, though I wish they would. Them changing the default scaling on the 2016 models implies they think the current resolution is "good enough", and extra real estate can be attained through scaling. I'd be very surprised if they changed the panel at all - they usually only meaningfully upgrade panels when they do a redesign.

The current MBPs do support 10-bit on an external display, but I feel like there's some weirdness happening on the internal display. DCI-P3 support usually implies 10-bit, but System Report says my MBP display is outputting at 8-bit. Apple's tech specs claim only "millions of colors" on the internal display, too. However, if I enable 30-bit mode in Photoshop CC 2017 and load a test ramp like this one, it indeed displays smoothly as if it were a 10-bit panel. Not sure what is going on. I suspect dithering, but at retina PPIs it's hard to discern that, and I can't find documentation either way.

Ambitious

iCloud was quietly storing years of cleared browsing histories

Of course! iCloud is an embarrassment.
Might also be related to this:

Ever tried deleting several Safari history items at once, e.g. all items of a specific day? It's fun. There's a good chance of Safari locking up for a while. A few seconds, usually, but my record so far was >2min.

And from time to time, deleted history items just reappear in the history. For example, I've deleted all items up to March 2015 (I'm doing a bit of cleaning up today). When I deleted one more item, a few dozens items from December and January reappeared. So I deleted them again. When I deleted another item, several of them reappeared again. And again. And again.
So, 20min later, I thought I had finally successfully cleaned my history. I deleted one final item, and then a few entries from November 2014 appeared.

Long story short: iCloud history sync is broken.

(...)

Safari is still locking up if you delete too many history items at once. That's just hilarious.

edit: Also, some deleted history items will reappear after a few seconds. I've posted about this issue in the Yosemite thread back then. Of course it hasn't been fixed. Because iCloud is shit. It always was and always will be.

edit 2: Oh look, now I've got a few hundred history items from Monday, the 1st of January 2001. Hello there.

Auctopus

(Rant)

iCloud is simultaneously the best and worst thing Apple has ever done.

I decided to finally update my Late Mac Mini 2012 to Sierra and I've been stuck with the iCloud section of the setup for 40 minutes. I work in IT, im not casual when it comes to Apple or computing yet this baffles me every time.

Both my iPhone 6 and Mac Mini are registered devices but I have no idea how to "approve" my Mac Mini from my iPhone. I was just stuck at the "waiting for approval" screen for 10 minutes as I was able to get a security code sent to my phone but then my Mac was stuck on the wrong screen to enter it.

This shouldn't be this complicated.

Managed to get back to the iCloud setup screen. Gonna skip iCloud and figure it out within the OS. Holy shit.

After using the 15" Touch Bar MBP for a couple months, I've decided I really hate the USB-C connectors. Unlike the Lightning connector which slips pleasantly into the iPhone/iPad with a smooth, plastic feel, the USB-C connector scrapes into the socket with that horrible metal-on-metal feeling every time. I often also have trouble finding them in dim light with the dark grey finish, and I have this worry that I'm going to end up scratching the finish when I'm just trying to plug things in.

jts

...hate me...
On the other side of a fresh macOS install now. Feels so good. All those years of programs and plugins and crap building up, gone. Don't have that rogue process from hell anymore, and battery seems to be going even much more slowly than expected. Awesome!

Must say, for a big part of it, iCloud was a good help. Keychain, iWork stuff, Safari history, and others. Other stuff I moved manually, like the message history. But it went painlessly. Same for iTunes. Mac App Store may be shit, but to get some programs back it's convenient.

Only thing that was a bit of a pain was Photos.app, because I have iCloud Photos and optimised storage setting on, and moved over the library file to help a bit. It didn't help much. It was uploading 16GB of crap for no reason, item count was far from the actual one (although it was still processing stuff), it just generally seemed like it's not supposed to work that way, so I just removed the old library file and started a new library, which downloads everything from iCloud. Went much much smoother that way, although it still needed a couple of hours to download all the thumbs and preview files and whatnot, but Power Nap helped overnight as well. Item count is not a perfect match either, though not by much and it matches if I take into account the number of items my previous was saying that it was "failing to upload". I'll just have to trust, but I'll keep my old library file safe somewhere in any case.

In any case, the point is, it feels good to make a fresh clean install of macOS and start anew. Should've done this once in a while.

Ambitious

I'm using 2Do on iPhone and they also have a MacOS app. It is a little more complex than I like but it has features I use such as custom nagging and the ability to either repeat on predetermined dates or repeat 'starting from last finished date'.

Yeah, I've tried 2Do:

Has anyone tried 2Do and/or Bear recently?

2Do went free with IAPs three weeks ago, so I gave it a try.
I'm not really convinced. The app is very powerful and has a lot of useful features, but as a consequence of that, the UI is a bit crowded and also unintuitive at times. Apart from that, I really don't like how it looks on iOS. The turquoise which is used throughout the app is pretty ugly in my opinion, and some UI elements look a bit out of place on iOS.
The Mac app looks decent, though.

(...)

I gave it yet another chance not too long ago because I really want to like it, but again I couldn't really warm up to its UI. It's a real shame.

Are eGPU's officially supported?
Not at all. The Akitio Node apparently works quite well though, especially when using boot camp. Being able to boot into Windows and use a 1080 GPU to play games with all the bells and whistles is a great option to have for someone like me who needs a MBP for work but doesn't necessarily want to buy another computer for gaming.

On the other side of a fresh macOS install now. Feels so good. All those years of programs and plugins and crap building up, gone. Don't have that rogue process from hell anymore, and battery seems to be going even much more slowly than expected. Awesome!

Must say, for a big part of it, iCloud was a good help. Keychain, iWork stuff, Safari history, and others. Other stuff I moved manually, like the message history. But it went painlessly. Same for iTunes. Mac App Store may be shit, but to get some programs back it's convenient.

Yeah, I did a clean install when I moved to my new MacBook Pro and iCloud Keychain really helped. I had been leery of using that, but it's been totally reliable. It's also really helpful to have all my Safari passwords available on my iOS devices. I'd recommend it to anyone at this point.

Guess Who

Banned
Not at all. The Akitio Node apparently works quite well though, especially when using boot camp. Being able to boot into Windows and use a 1080 GPU to play games with all the bells and whistles is a great option to have for someone like me who needs a MBP for work but doesn't necessarily want to buy another computer for gaming.

Yup. My next "gaming PC" - once my wallet recovers from the $3000 hit of my MBP - is probably going to be an Akitio Node and a GTX 1060 for my Boot Camp partition.

Im so FRUSTRATED with how to import pics from my iPhone to my Mac

Theres like 5 different ways to do it, and the sync/icloud/import language is so freaking confusing.

Right now, I have 151 pics on my iPhone in an album titled "From my Mac"

I didn't make this album. yet I cant find these pics on my Mac and I cant find a way to import them to my Mac from my phone.

Where is it stored? I feel like Im bloating my Mac with all these pics yet I cant find them and the syncing nonsense just confuses me.

This was all so much easier on an android and Im beyond frustrated

Guess Who

Banned

Theres like 5 different ways to do it, and the sync/icloud/import language is so freaking confusing.

I didn't make this album. yet I cant find these pics on my Mac and I cant find a way to import them to my Mac from my phone.

Where is it stored? I feel like Im bloating my Mac with all these pics yet I cant find them and the syncing nonsense just confuses me.

The "From my Mac" album usually only appears when you've synced photos from your Mac to your iPhone via iTunes. If those photos aren't actually in your Mac's Photos app, then I couldn't tell you how they got there.

The "From my Mac" album usually only appears when you've synced photos from your Mac to your iPhone via iTunes. If those photos aren't actually in your Mac's Photos app, then I couldn't tell you how they got there.

They aren't there. All I have are the rest of my pics from my iPhone, but not this album. Im so confused.

"MY albums" on iPhotos is also blank, while there its visible on my phone. What gives?

I cant even DELETE the album on my iPhone. But I copied all the pics into a new album, which can be deleted.

Apparently these pics are from my Mac but I dont know where or how they got there.

What's the easiest way to take pics from my phone and put them onto my Mac in the future? Its clear that Apple doesn't make this easy for some bloody reason

What's the easiest way to take pics from my phone and put them onto my Mac in the future? Its clear that Apple doesn't make this easy for some bloody reason

Plug your phone into a Windows computer with iTunes installed. Then you can copy the photos off your phone like it was a USB drive.

Have you tried using image capture.app ?

Would anyone have any ideas as to why my Macs would stop backing up to time machine after a few days? I have a MacBook Pro and an iMac, and recently bought a 3TB desktop drive which is plugged into the back of an AirPort Extreme. I setup Time Machine on both, it works for a few days every hour and then I forget about. Then after a check it like a week later it they both seem to stop backing up at the same time. If I manually say 'backup now' it works fine.

Please help

My sis went to update itunes and her phones entire contnet is gone and replaced with an old iphone 4s's content

The iphone 4 content was my mothers phone. Wtf is going on. I am hating apple's confusing account management

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Please help

My sis went to update itunes and her phones entire contnet is gone and replaced with an old iphone 4s's content

The iphone 4 content was my mothers phone. Wtf is going on. I am hating apple's confusing account management
Well. Do both of them use the same computer and user account and iTunes to backup their phone?

Does your sister at least keep her own iTunes backups?

Because it sounds like what happened is your sister doesn't backup to iTunes, but your mom does, and when she updated and it asked if she wanted to restore it from a backup, she probably didn't read carefully enough and chose your moms.

Does she keep iCloud backups too?

Look in iTunes Preferences and see if there's a backup for her phone.

And next time be more vigilant with backing up.

She might need to restore it again fresh and see what options she gets when it wants to restore. Did she log in with her iCloud information? Because that would have made sure to restore the correct backup from the cloud instead of the phone.

When you restore or update an iPhone/iPad and its connected to iTunes you have two options. Either A) you use iTunes completely to restore to the phone from your locally kept iTunes backup, or B) you use the phone/iPad itself to restore which should also give the option of using the iCloud backup instead. (I always restore from iTunes since it's faster, but I also only have one backup on my machine for my phone.)

Guess Who

Banned
Please help

When you plug an iPhone into iTunes for the first time, it asks if you want to "set up as a new iPhone" or "restore from a backup", even if it's a fully-set up iPhone. It probably was set to restore a backup of your mom's phone and your sister clicked continue without paying attention.

Meh3D

Anyone use Final Cut Pro X/Logic Pro X/Motion 5/Compressor 4? What's your feedback on these apps?

I've been looking at the educational bundle. (LINK)I was considering this software as opposed to creative cloud. (Granted, CC has more useful apps that I like, but Apple's apps are perpetual and cheaper.) This is just for personal video projects with effects from time to time. Think cool vacation/event/funny videos in my free time.

I read the reviews and some of them scare me. I sorted by the most recent reviews and this is quite disturbing. For example the "library bug" that left some users with no means to import their previous libraries and lost work. (10.1 to 10.3) Some of the issues described in detail really suck.

Anyone use Final Cut Pro X/Logic Pro X/Motion 5/Compressor 4? What's your feedback on these apps?

I've been looking at the educational bundle. (LINK)I was considering this software as opposed to creative cloud. (Granted, CC has more useful apps that I like, but Apple's apps are perpetual and cheaper.) This is just for personal video projects with effects from time to time. Think cool vacation/event/funny videos in my free time.

I read the reviews and some of them scare me. I sorted by the most recent reviews and this is quite disturbing. For example the "library bug" that left some users with no means to import their previous libraries and lost work. (10.1 to 10.3) Some of the issues described in detail really suck.

Just to expand your options, check out to see if your school book store has special pricing for Adobe CC. Sometimes they offer a discount far better than the standard Edu discount. Like my wife's college she teaches at has a $50/YEAR offer.

Fuchsdh

I use FCPX and Logic and haven't had any complaints. Frankly if you're doing work with the applications then their price makes them a no-brainer considering they're not subscription software.

I could come up with a litany of shitty bugs and issues for Creative Cloud longer than any I could for Apple's pro software, including the fact that the year is 2017 and I still cannot use more than a single processor to render out frames from After Effects, years after they removed that feature.

Thanks guys. This is such a mess and I dont know why its so incredibly complicated

For one, why the hell do we have to run everything thru itunes?

My moms phone had devices listed as my sis's phone, her macbook, and an older 4s

I deleted all of those

Logged out and into icloud on sis's iphone and icloud

She got her pics back

But all her contacts and messages are still my moms

Now she'll manually delete all of that info but idk where her stuff went.

Im blown away at how hard this is

Meh3D

Just to expand your options, check out to see if your school book store has special pricing for Adobe CC. Sometimes they offer a discount far better than the standard Edu discount. Like my wife's college she teaches at has a $50/YEAR offer.

I'll have to check. The problem with Adobe is that the educational pricing is only for 1 year. (Afterward it's the 29.99 a month from 19.99.) I'll check the university computer store (Florida International University) and find out if they have it and if I quality. I suspect I may not since their educational pricing last I checked is only good for 1 year with their subscription model which I already had. I'm really hoping I can get it for 50$ a year even if for one year.

I use FCPX and Logic and haven't had any complaints. Frankly if you're doing work with the applications then their price makes them a no-brainer considering they're not subscription software.

I could come up with a litany of shitty bugs and issues for Creative Cloud longer than any I could for Apple's pro software, including the fact that the year is 2017 and I still cannot use more than a single processor to render out frames from After Effects, years after they removed that feature.

I have Adobe CC for work and my work laptop so I don't need Adobe CC for work. I understand where you're coming from on complaints in general. However, do you find FCPX relatively issue free? Do you have "what happened? Why did this not finish?" moments? (I've had no issues with PP/ME/PS/AE except on the new MacPros which sucked when they came out.)

I can say I scanned through the reviews and the ones that seem to have a legit and well written criticisms/issues have been corroborated so far. Just now I was told by my boyfriend (who I happen to ask just after the post) that FCPX is coming from a really rough transition and that it's not a normal thing. Compressor though feels like it's universally hated and Motion is universally loved.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thanks guys. This is such a mess and I dont know why its so incredibly complicated

For one, why the hell do we have to run everything thru itunes?
You don't have to use iTunes for restoring at all. As long as you're smart enough to not be one of those people who avoids trusting the cloud for backups (I work with two of these. One was converted when she had to get her phone replaced. I never understand these people who can change phones and lose everything and start over and just shrug it off as if it's nothing.) you can update your phone over the air and restore right from the iCloud. No iTunes needed at all.

The beauty of modern iPhones and iOS is that you can have your devices never touch iTunes at all if you really need to.

My moms phone had devices listed as my sis's phone, her macbook, and an older 4s

I deleted all of those

Logged out and into icloud on sis's iphone and icloud

She got her pics back

But all her contacts and messages are still my moms

Now she'll manually delete all of that info but idk where her stuff went.

Im blown away at how hard this is
It's not hard at all. Like not at all. It's quite simple really. She's the one who didn't read when she restored the first time.

Want to fix it? Have her restore it completely again and make sure to choose her own phone this time. When you just log out and back in you've basically just ended up merging the contacts and possibly messing up your iCloud backup anyway. All you can do now is rebuild and remember for the future.

BTW, if you update over the air, i.e. without iTunes at all, you won't need to restore. In fact, the only time you really NEED to restore is if you buy a new phone. Updating doesn't require a restore. Actually, I don't even know that iTunes requires a restore for an update either.

Lessons for the future:

1) When updating, don't bother with iTunes
2) When replacing the phone, restore from iCloud backup and avoid iTunes to make sure
3) If you need to use iTunes, make sure it's assigned to one person. That's what user accounts for for on your computer, whether it's a Mac or PC. Mom should have one, she should have one, make sure to log in to her own when she needs to. This way you keep your two accounts completely segregated. The only way you could get it confused is if you have multiple people backing up to the same iTunes account. Don't do that. Use separate users on the machine.

Meh3D

Might as well roll an eGPU at this point. Apple isn't going to put anything more than a midrange mobile card in their laptops.

Isn't that pointless now that After Effects uses Cinema4D?

The creators I know are really loving Cinema4D. (Though they didn't bother with the lite and just went full steam ahead with a full license.)

Fuchsdh

Isn't that pointless now that After Effects uses Cinema4D?

The creators I know are really loving Cinema4D. (Though they didn't bother with the lite and just went full steam ahead with a full license.)

What does an eGPU have to do with Cineware? After Effects can still use the eGPU, as poorly as ever.

I mean if you're just gonna use it for fun videos you might as well just pick up DaVinci resolve lite. It's free and works well.

Top Bottom