• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Jasoco

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
It's amazing. If you ever need to know anything at all about any Mac or other Apple product, it will tell you. Including the release date, max and min OS, startup chime, EVERYTHING.

Also, thank Jebus, it seems the clone is going much faster than I was expecting. It's up to 44GB now after only an hour and a half. Hopefully it won't have any more problems, and if it does, I'll call Kingston later this week.

Burger

Jasoco said:
Just saying if you had it, you wouldn't be having this problem now.

*You're welcome. What did you decide to do? It has been 3 years, maybe it's time for a new machine anyway? 3 years seems to be the average usage span I get out of my Macs before I retire them. The MacBook was the only one that ever actually had a problem. (Aside from a HD failure under warranty in my first iMac G3.

I'd love to upgrade, but aside from being a bit quicker and beterer, there isn't much that a new machine would give me. I'm moving overseas soon and don't really want the expense, plus I always said that I'd keep the old girl around as long as she worked ok. Battery is pretty hosed, but other than that she's tip top.

When I took it into the service centre to get the logic board replaced (not my cost) the techo said he'd never seen that model in such 'near new' condition, so I guess that counts for something.

mrkgoo

Burger said:
I'd love to upgrade, but aside from being a bit quicker and beterer, there isn't much that a new machine would give me. I'm moving overseas soon and don't really want the expense, plus I always said that I'd keep the old girl around as long as she worked ok. Battery is pretty hosed, but other than that she's tip top.

When I took it into the service centre to get the logic board replaced (not my cost) the techo said he'd never seen that model in such 'near new' condition, so I guess that counts for something.

I have the same model and have been wanting the gpu to fail so i can get it fixed, but well, if it isn't broken....

It,s been running well.

Btw, where are you moving to?

Jasoco

Banned
Burger said:

Well, if it still runs fine for now, maybe it'll hold out until you can upgrade. Just realize technology doesn't last forever. And keep backups.

Burger

mrkgoo said:
I have the same model and have been wanting the gpu to fail so i can get it fixed, but well, if it isn't broken....

It,s been running well.

Btw, where are you moving to?

Might move to Europe for a bit. British parents and all. See what happens :)

Burger

Jasoco said:
Well, if it still runs fine for now, maybe it'll hold out until you can upgrade. Just realize technology doesn't last forever. And keep backups.

Err, last night while browsing in Safari the screen flickered for a while, stopped responding except for the mouse cursor, and after several seconds kernel panicked.

I think I might be in trouble :(

asdad123

My girlfriends Mac is draining quite a bit of battery while in sleep mode (about 15% an hour).
The doesn't seem right to me. Any advice apart from taking it to an apple store?

Anyone know why I can't open iPhoto or Aperture (the icon just bounces on the dock) unless I unmount the Bootcamp partition? Only happened after the latest round of updates, and I'm debating on whether or not I should restore to before I updated. Anyone know what could cause this? I've been debating whether or not I should just reformat the damn thing.

How do I make a window take up the entire screen? when I press the green + button on the top left corner it just makes the screen smaller and moves it to the side

mrkgoo

Ken Masters said:
How do I make a window take up the entire screen? when I press the green + button on the top left corner it just makes the screen smaller and moves it to the side
The green button is an autoresize, not a maximise.

To make a window take up the maximum real estate available, you drag the bottom right corner.

You argue that no maximise is a bit backwards, but apps that need it, the green button does that, and most other apps don't really need a full screen mode. Mac os x has been designed to have windows everywhere haphazardly. I remember when I was still on windows and I was observing a mac user have multiple apps open, even when not using them, and dozens of windows scattered about. I didn't know how you would keep track of everything. I only understood when I started doing it myself n mac os x.

mrkgoo said:
The green button is an autoresize, not a maximise.

To make a window take up the maximum real estate available, you drag the bottom right corner.

You argue that no maximise is a bit backwards, but apps that need it, the green button does that, and most other apps don't really need a full screen mode. Mac os x has been designed to have windows everywhere haphazardly. I remember when I was still on windows and I was observing a mac user have multiple apps open, even when not using them, and dozens of windows scattered about. I didn't know how you would keep track of everything. I only understood when I started doing it myself n mac os x.

fair enough

LCfiner

Ken Masters said:

wait for 10.7...

/miffed

noah111

Still Alive
Anyone know wtf is going on here?

2efi5n4.png

It stayed like that for a while when I logged in, and then changed back to black.. does it mean anything or just a glitch? Thought it may mean I need a battery replacement or something. :x

jts

...hate me...
Ken Masters said:
Install BetterTouchTool.

Enable Window Snapping.

Drag a window to the top and watch it maximize.

edit:nvm just noticed this has been mentioned already.

Zodzilla

jts said:
Install BetterTouchTool.

Enable Window Snapping.

Drag a window to the top and watch it maximize.

edit:nvm just noticed this has been mentioned already.

I loved BTT, but with multiple displays and spaces it became a bit cumbersome (final cut pro's windows got bungled fairly often). I'm personally a fan of divvy for window management. There's a video on there explaining it, and it's got a pretty lenient demo, so give it a shot.

RS4-

Is there a program that lets me right click on the title bar of a window and it minimizes not to the dock but just the title bar? On windows it's called Winroll, and I'm sure there was an Mac alternative or something of the same thing.

Gx7CB.jpg

qwerty2k said:
Anyone use a Momtentus XT hybrid drive in their Mac? worth the money?

I am curious as well. Im backing up my data in my 2008 macbook right now to prep a refresh n do a bootcamp win7 for class this semester.

Futureman

is there some kind of file transfer mode on OS X? I seem to remember some way you can hold F3 or something while booting, and that puts it into a mode where you can copy the HD if the computer is messed up?

My friend's MacBook won't boot into OS X, and we are trying to figure out a way to back up the HD inside.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Futureman said:
is there some kind of file transfer mode on OS X? I seem to remember some way you can hold F3 or something while booting, and that puts it into a mode where you can copy the HD if the computer is messed up?

My friend's MacBook won't boot into OS X, and we are trying to figure out a way to back up the HD inside.

Hold down 'T' while booting, and it boots into Target Disk Mode.. which basically makes it an external harddrive.

giga

RS4- said:
Is there a program that lets me right click on the title bar of a window and it minimizes not to the dock but just the title bar? On windows it's called Winroll, and I'm sure there was an Mac alternative or something of the same thing.

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/Gx7CB.jpg[/IMG]
http://unsanity.com/haxies/wsx

Don’t complain if your shit gets messed after an update though.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1661

Futureman

quadriplegicjon said:
Hold down 'T' while booting, and it boots into Target Disk Mode.. which basically makes it an external harddrive.

It's a 2006 MacBook though. Pretty sure that doesn't have FireWire?

EDIT: OH! Looks like older MacBook's should have a FireWire port. But if this doesn't work, is the only option really ripping the HD out, buying one of those HD docks, and then transferring from that?

kr2t0s

I tried looking this up on the internet and couldn't either find a solution for itunes10 or all the solutions involved some random server which seemed like overkill.

Looking for a way to take one 'master' itunes library (on my iMac) and have some of the music on 2 laptops (both os x).

I'm sure many people have this problem but I can't find a solution.

Thanks in advance!

mrkgoo

qwerty2k said:
Anyone use a Momtentus XT hybrid drive in their Mac? worth the money?
I have one and find it very good.

I used t have a default 250gb, but when I out grew that I purchased a seagate external hd 640gb and installed it into my MacBook pro. It slowed my commuter down majorly. I then purchased a 500gb hybrid ssd momentus xt. Now it could've just been going from the crap drive to a good one, but my computer now flies. It's like a large portion of the benefits of an ssd when it comes to stuff like opening apps, but at a fraction of the cost and retaining the large storage sizes.

qwerty2k

mrkgoo said:
I have one and find it very good.

I used t have a default 250gb, but when I out grew that I purchased a seagate external hd 640gb and installed it into my MacBook pro. It slowed my commuter down majorly. I then purchased a 500gb hybrid ssd momentus xt. Now it could've just been going from the crap drive to a good one, but my computer now flies. It's like a large portion of the benefits of an ssd when it comes to stuff like opening apps, but at a fraction of the cost and retaining the large storage sizes.

you're severely tempting me :D

mrkgoo

qwerty2k said:
you're severely tempting me :D
Don't get me wrong, i'm sure a true ssd is much better, but the hybrid does appear to be a good improvement.

Then again, I never had a 7200rpm drive, either.

Regardless, the premium in getting a hybrid isn't much, so even if the gains aren't hugely substantial, you haven't lost out that much.

ascii42

RS4- said:

Gx7CB.jpg
Windowshade X should do that. Windowshading was actually a feature of Mac OS 8 I believe, then Apple removed it because of the Dock and Expose.

edit: beaten

So, my iMac doesn't want to give me my CD back, I tried everything from pushing the eject button on the keyboard, on the screen, restart while pressing eject, restart while pressing the mouse, using terminal, but the Mac just won't get the CD out.

At first the Mac couldn't even read the CD at all, then at some point it could and now it's able to play the music on it, but whenever I want it to eject the CD the drive sounds (?) as if it's spinning and preparing to eject, yet it just reloads the CD and iTunes pops back up every time. :(

Is my Superdrive fucked or are there any software solutions?

Jasoco

Banned
Sentry said:
Anyone know wtf is going on here?

2efi5n4.png

It stayed like that for a while when I logged in, and then changed back to black.. does it mean anything or just a glitch? Thought it may mean I need a battery replacement or something. :x
What does it say under the menu?

Also, what are all the icons there?

ascii42 said:
Windowshade X should do that. Windowshading was actually a feature of Mac OS 8 I believe, then Apple removed it because of the Dock and Expose.

edit: beaten
System 7. It was a feature in the Mac OS since 1990 until OS X came out and minimization replaced it.

jts

...hate me...
Patrick Bateman said:
So, my iMac doesn't want to give me my CD back, I tried everything from pushing the eject button on the keyboard, on the screen, restart while pressing eject, restart while pressing the mouse, using terminal, but the Mac just won't get the CD out.

At first the Mac couldn't even read the CD at all, then at some point it could and now it's able to play the music on it, but whenever I want it to eject the CD the drive sounds (?) as if it's spinning and preparing to eject, yet it just reloads the CD and iTunes pops back up every time. :(

Is my Superdrive fucked or are there any software solutions?
http://guides.macrumors.com/Force_Eject_a_Stuck_CD_or_DVD

Burger

kr2t0s said:
I tried looking this up on the internet and couldn't either find a solution for itunes10 or all the solutions involved some random server which seemed like overkill.

Looking for a way to take one 'master' itunes library (on my iMac) and have some of the music on 2 laptops (both os x).

I'm sure many people have this problem but I can't find a solution.

Thanks in advance!

I use a variation of this, it basically takes your 'master' library and only updates the files that need updating on the 'slave' libraries.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Keeping_2_iTunes_Libraries_in_Sync

noah111

Still Alive
Jasoco said:
What does it say under the menu?

Also, what are all the icons there?
It said calculating time remaining I think. Oh and those icons are for (from left ro right) Anxiety, Caffeine, [volume, battery], and my Binary clock app.

centracore

After the positive experiences with OS X on my 2008 MacBook and now 2009 MacBook Pro I've decided to get a 2010 iMac. Two things are currently holding up my purchase though..

Should I get the 21.5" or 27" model?
The 27" model seems like it would be excessive, like sitting right in front of a 55" HDTV to play video games or something. Maybe it's something you get used to though? I just don't want to buy one or the other and regret it later.

Should I buy new or refurbished?
I've been browsing the refurbished section of the Apple Store and I should be able to save $200 - $250 on current iMac models if I go with refurbished. Does anyone have any experience with ordering refurbished products from Apple? If so, what is the condition and quality they come in? Can you tell that it has been used before by someone else?

jts

...hate me...
centracore said:
After the positive experiences with OS X on my 2008 MacBook and now 2009 MacBook Pro I've decided to get a 2010 iMac. Two things are currently holding up my purchase though..

The 27" model seems like it would be excessive, like sitting right in front of a 55" HDTV to play video games or something. Maybe it's something you get used to though? I just don't want to buy one or the other and regret it later.

I've been browsing the refurbished section of the Apple Store and I should be able to save $200 - $250 on current iMac models if I go with refurbished. Does anyone have any experience with ordering refurbished products from Apple? If so, what is the condition and quality they come in? Can you tell that it has been used before by someone else?
If you can afford it and have the space for it, 27" is the way to fly. It's large, but its resolution goes with it, so instead of feeling excessive, you'll just feel comfortable about having all that real estate to work and play with.

You wont be able to go back anymore.

Patrick Bateman said:
Tried out everything, nothing works. The CD-image just fades away, the drive starts to work, nothing comes out, but instead the Mac reads the disc again and the CD-image pops back up.
Well, I guess you have to get it serviced.

LCfiner

centracore said:

i have a quad core i5 27" Mac that I got refurbished. lemme tell you, the 27" screen is gorgeous and worth every penny. it'll only seem like overkill for a week and then you'll just be hooked. the downside is that the GPU and video memory is strained to play games at the monster native res. I always drop things down to 1080p for stuff while booted into windows.

I am a big supporter of buying refurbed Mac items. I have had nothing but good experiences with old Macbooks, ipods and now the iMac. the thing comes in a plain white box but otherwise is as clean and nicely wrapped as the retail counterpart. if you don't need the BTO options, get refurb.

jts said:
Well, I guess you have to get it serviced.

Do I have to backup the whole hdd? Or don't they delete everything like when you give your iPhone or iPod to the service?

Should I delete it in fear of them seeing any data?

jts

...hate me...
Patrick Bateman said:
Do I have to backup the whole hdd? Or don't they delete everything like when you give your iPhone or iPod to the service?

Should I delete it in fear of them seeing any data?
I have absolutely no idea, but if I had to guess, I'd say they will only check your superdrive. They do that to iPods and iPhones because their contents are supposed to be safe and backup'd on iTunes.

You should have backups at all times anyway - especially for your computer :p

As for privacy, set a password on your account and check the user permissions for your private contents, and you'll be good to go I think (not sure).

Call your local service and ask them that.

jts said:
I have absolutely no idea, but if I had to guess, I'd say they will only check your superdrive. They do that to iPods and iPhones because their contents are supposed to be safe and backup'd on iTunes.

You should have backups at all times anyway - especially for your computer :p

As for privacy, set a password on your account and check the user permissions for your private contents, and you'll be good to go I think (not sure).

Call your local service and ask them that.

Hmm, MacOS doesn't give me any option where to back it all up. I only have a NTFS-formated external HDD that it can't see.

LCfiner

Patrick Bateman said:
Hmm, MacOS doesn't give me any option where to back it all up. I only have a NTFS-formated external HDD that it can't see.

if you want to backup using time machine, you need a Mac formatted drive.

perhaps with third party tools, you can use an NTFS drive. but I don't know if recovery would be seamless. If you want to be serious about backup (and you should) get a properly formatted drive available and use either Time machine or a tool like Carbon Copy Cloner.

LCfiner

Patrick Bateman said:
So, it doesn't matter what unless it's FAT32-formatted? How much GB minimum?

HFS+ is the native Mac file system.

though macs will read/write from fat32 OK. it can't boot from fat32, though.

size of drive depends on what kind of backup you want to do. if you want a complete system backup, then it needs to be, minimum, the size of your current amount of used space on your drive.

if all you want to backup is your user and applications folders, then it can be smaller.

and it is possible that service reps won't touch your hard drive but they do not guarantee that so it's always advised to have a full backup before handing a machine over for service.

Top Bottom