• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

quaere

Rant time.

I'm trying to fix a G5 by reinstalling Mac OS. I have the CD version of 10.4. The install asks me for Disc 2. I don't put it in for about 10 minutes.

The drive closes by itself and now I have no way of opening it.

I'm using a wireless keyboard so none of the boot time overrides work.

Now I have to go buy a paper clip so I can open the fucking CD drive. Fuck you, Steve Jobs. I knew there was a reason I never used Macs.

aswedc said:
Rant time.

I'm trying to fix a G5 by reinstalling Mac OS. I have the CD version of 10.4. The install asks me for Disc 2. I don't put it in for about 10 minutes.

Now I have to go buy a paper clip so I can open the fucking CD drive. Fuck you, Steve Jobs. I knew there was a reason I never used Macs.
Yep. This is an entirely rational observation.

hirokazu said:
You can create Quartz filters to do this in Automator. A bit complicated, but a Google search may be able to help you.

EDIT:
Here's one I prepared earlier for myself: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10569001/Compress PDF to 150dpi.qfilter

Copy the Quartz Filter file to ~/Library/Filters. The next time you save a file as PDF, in the Save As dialog, there should be a Quartz Filter drop down menu, choose "Compress PDF to 150dpi" from the menu (same as the file above) and then save the file. It should come out at a much smaller size, depending on how big the source images are.

OS X actually already has a preset Reduce File Size filter, but it basically puts the compression settings to the extreme, so you end up with a small PDF with basically useless embedded images. Shame, because they could've made a really handy filter that'd save people time from doing it themselves.
I'm not finding the "filters" folder...

hirokazu

aswedc said:
Rant time.

Can't you boot up from the first install disc again and then eject the disc from there? Or at the very least start the install process again.

Anyway, whenever you're using something wireless, be it for networking, or input devices or whatever, you should always have a wired version handy for troubleshooting or failsafe.

well well. Somehow OSX just found its way into my i7 Dell desktop.

>.>

Dual booting is fun. Considering everything
everything!
is working perfectly. I guess I'll pick up one of those desktop trackpads now.

It's incredible.

I know the grey install discs are locked down to the hardware they came with, but do they include the full version of the OS or just the needed files for that hardware?

Jasoco

Banned
I might just go buy a new mini today. I mean, I haven't heard any rumors about events, no shortages of supply like last time, no word whatsoever except about iPad 2's and WWDC in June. So I am going to take my chance and just get one possibly today and hope that they don't surprise us next week or something.

Right? I haven't heard anything at all. And even if they did update, I doubt they'd put Sandy Bridge in them first or even i3's or i5's before the 13" MBP's get them. So if there was an update, it'd most likely be a processor speed bump.

And I can live with that. Plus, I get 14 days to replace it if they did update it tomorrow or next week so..

infiniteloop said:
I know the grey install discs are locked down to the hardware they came with, but do they include the full version of the OS or just the needed files for that hardware?
The disc only works for the hardware the disc came with. You'll need a regular upgrade disc for installing on other hardware. Like a PC or something.

Dreams-Visions said:
The disc only works for the hardware the disc came with. You'll need a regular upgrade disc for installing on other hardware. Like a PC or something.

... yeah, that's why I said "I know the grey install discs are locked down to the hardware they came with". I'm trying to create an image for work but the SL retail 10.6.3 disc doesn't install on any i7 mbp's I've tried.

Jasoco

Banned
Damn! The store was out of Mac mini's. So he's going to put an order in for one for me and let me know. One of two things could happen.

A) The mini arrives. Meaning that the mini is not up for an update soon. Usually when something is about to be updated, it runs out everywhere. If it arrives, it means Apple still has some left.

B) It doesn't arrive, Apple tells them they can't send them any, in which case it's pretty much guaranteed that an update is imminent within 2 weeks or so. Last time it was updated, they ran out of stock two weeks before. Since the mini is pretty popular, I can see it happening again.

*crosses fingers* I'm expecting scenario A though. I don't see them being updated yet until there's a new processor to put in. So they'll probably come in. He said he'll give me a call when he gets an answer from Apple.

Either way, I was really hoping to be playing with it today. Oh well, guess I can wait 3-4 days or 2-3 months... if I have to.

infiniteloop said:
... yeah, that's why I said "I know the grey install discs are locked down to the hardware they came with". I'm trying to create an image for work but the SL retail 10.6.3 disc doesn't install on any i7 mbp's I've tried.
well that's odd. I know the grey disk won't work on other systems from experience, but the retail disc is supposed to. idk.

Jasoco

Banned
Take it to an Apple Store. If a retail Snow Leopard disc won't install on an i7, there is something definitely wrong.

Jal

My macbook wireless has turned to crap over the past few days, it fluctuates between 0.5 and 6mb (usually less than 1mb) on a 10mb connection, my other laptop (wired) works fine and my mac mini (wireless) does too. I've tried restarting modem and router, fixing permissions, resetting PRAM, clearing caches, re-installing SL, custom MTU.

Any other suggestions?

So some of you might remember me asking about the benefits of having a macbook last year. Well I have finally decided to get one. Problem is every site I look at is telling me to wait, because Apple has an event detailing new macbooks around this time of the year. But should I wait? I mean I'm just getting the base 13 inch mpb, and from what i hear the upgrade is going to be for the more expensive models. Plus from the macrumors buyer guide it says something to the effect new macbooks come out, on average, every 211 days. So how important can waiting for a yearly update be?

quaere

hirokazu said:
Can't you boot up from the first install disc again and then eject the disc from there? Or at the very least start the install process again.
Nope. Do PC keyboards even work with Mac startup commands? The cheapest Mac keyboard is $50....

Jasoco

Banned
terrdactycalsrock said:
So some of you might remember me asking about the benefits of having a macbook last year. Well I have finally decided to get one. Problem is every site I look at is telling me to wait, because Apple has an event detailing new macbooks around this time of the year. But should I wait? I mean I'm just getting the base 13 inch mpb, and from what i hear the upgrade is going to be for the more expensive models. Plus from the macrumors buyer guide it says something to the effect new macbooks come out, on average, every 211 days. So how important can waiting for a yearly update be?
The current rumor is March.

They were last updated in April 2010.

If you buy one now, you will most likely regret it if you COULD have waited.

Unless the 13" doesn't change. But do you really want to take that chance when you're so close to an update?

JMizzlin

Ordered my first Mac today for my Uni studies. 15 Inch 320gb MacBook Pro.

What's some cool, cheap shit I can do with it to set me apart from the crowd?

hirokazu

infiniteloop said:
I'm pretty sure all Mac OS X installations come with all the files needed for it to run on any hardware supported by that version of the OS, so the grey install discs would also have to have all the files needed to run on whatever hardware has been released by the time the model it came with shipped.

The hardware check is just to make sure you're not trying to install the OS on a machine that comes with an older version without paying for it. ;)

infiniteloop said:
Sounds to me like the i7s came with a later version of OS X that had extra drivers to support some of the new hardware. If that's the case, you'd have to use the original grey install discs that came with the MBPs since there hasn't been a retail release since 10.6.3.

hirokazu

aswedc said:
Nope. Do PC keyboards even work with Mac startup commands? The cheapest Mac keyboard is $50....
So what happens when you try boot the computer?

You can't bring up the boot device selection by holding down Option? That's odd... but any USB keyboard should work anyhow.

Blackhead

Redarse
terrdactycalsrock said:

Jasoco said:
The current rumor is March.

They were last updated in April 2010.

If you buy one now, you will most likely regret it if you COULD have waited.

Unless the 13" doesn't change. But do you really want to take that chance when you're so close to an update?

fwiw Marco thinks the 13" Pro might be removed from the lineup:
So the new laptop lineup might look like this:
  • $999 plastic MacBook, unchanged, for econobuyers
  • $999 11” MacBook Air
  • $1299 13” MacBook Air
  • $1599 15” MacBook Pro, new wedge design (down from $1799)
  • $2299 17” MacBook Pro, unchanged
Or it might look almost exactly like the current lineup, which would be disappointing but justifiable.
(Tested.com disagrees)

I'm hoping for a Mac mini refresh with SSDs as standard

Yeah I heard the rumor that they might just get rid of the 13in mbp. And I guess it makes sense because the macbook is basically the same machine in a plastic shell. But thats the thing I dont want a plastic shell. Even if it came with an SD card slot.

I think they should just get rid of the plastic Macbook. With today's news that Intel will continue to ship the defective Sandy Bridge chipsets on unaffected products (like laptops), it's definitely looking like a refresh is imminent.

hirokazu said:
I'm pretty sure all Mac OS X installations come with all the files needed for it to run on any hardware supported by that version of the OS, so the grey install discs would also have to have all the files needed to run on whatever hardware has been released by the time the model it came with shipped.

The hardware check is just to make sure you're not trying to install the OS on a machine that comes with an older version without paying for it. ;)

Sounds to me like the i7s came with a later version of OS X that had extra drivers to support some of the new hardware. If that's the case, you'd have to use the original grey install discs that came with the MBPs since there hasn't been a retail release since 10.6.3.

Thanks. I did end up taking an i7 MBP to Apple, they used 3 brand new 10.6.3. retail discs and none worked. They came to same conclusion you did, the grey install discs have drivers that the retail ones don't. I've made an image with the grey discs and so far it's worked fine on other hardware.

Blackhead

Redarse
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
They aren't rumors. It's just some guy on the Internet saying something.
HenryGale said:
The 13 inch pro isnt going anywhere. Its apples highest selling notebook. False rumors are false.
Apple has replaced their "highest selling" item in a product line before. That said, does anyone know how the new Airs sales compared to the macbook pros in the last quarter?

LCfiner

Charred Greyface said:

Apple has replaced their "highest selling" item in a product line before. That said, does anyone know how the new Airs sales compared to the macbook pros in the last quarter?

We don't know exact numbers. all we know is that Mac portable sales went way up from the year ago quarter (~35%) and the ASP or Mac portables dropped from 1325 to 1313 bucks. i'm too lazy to figure out if that means the Air is replacing 13" or 15" sales or not.

I see Marco's train of thought, but it's too early. The Pros will be the same. Maybe two years from now the Airs will just turn into the Pros. Like Apple kept stressing, the Air is the future of the MacBook.

dmshaposv

I actual hope apple doesnt ditch the optical drive just yet for 15" MBPs. The 17" is way out of my budget and even though we have external HDDs and what have you - I prefer being able to rip my CD/DVD for my projects that I need to hand in.

Also, I refuse to walk around with an external ODD, sort of kills the point of portability.

Let Air be air and pro remain pro.

So I just downloaded Thunderbird and allowed Spotlight to index the stuff in it, and now Spotlight is saying it needs 49 hours to finish indexing...

Does anyone else experience higher than expected CPU usage in certain web browsers in OSX? Firefox and Chrome both idle at around 13% CPU usage on my 2008 Unibody Macbook. Safari idles at around 4% however. Obviously this impacts battery life in a fairly noticeable way.

Jasoco

Banned
cooljeanius said:
So I just downloaded Thunderbird and allowed Spotlight to index the stuff in it, and now Spotlight is saying it needs 49 hours to finish indexing...
Time estimation is never correct. It'll probably drop significantly.

Charred Greyface said:
fwiw Marco thinks the 13" Pro might be removed from the lineup:
Valkyr Junkie said:
I think they should just get rid of the plastic Macbook. With today's news that Intel will continue to ship the defective Sandy Bridge chipsets on unaffected products (like laptops), it's definitely looking like a refresh is imminent.
HenryGale said:
The 13 inch pro isnt going anywhere. Its apples highest selling notebook. False rumors are false.
Lest we forget Apple tried to remove both the 13" MacBook Pro AND the white plastic MacBook at the same time in, what, 2008 I believe when they released the 13" unibody as the MacBook and started Pro's at 15". While the 13" was still as good as a Pro would be anyway, I guess it didn't sit well with people who loved the plastic white MacBook's. In the next update they introduced a brand new white Unibody plastic MacBook with a totally new case design that eliminated the previous "CrackBook" problem.

Jasoco said:
Time estimation is never correct. It'll probably drop significantly.
Oh, so I should just wait for it to finish then? I've been trying to kill the mdworker process in Activity Monitor, but it hasn't been working...

Futureman

Anyone load up Flash 10.2? Does it stop the fans on your computer from going into overdrive after 10seconds of YouTube viewing?

Kimosabae

Banned
Hi. I have a model 2008 13" Macbook and want to hook my laptop to my HDTV. Will any old VGA cable do, or is there some Apple proprietary cable that I'm forced to buy?

*edit*

Actually, if someone could give a good HDMI option that'd be even better.

Top Bottom