• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Firestorm said:
What's the resale value on Macs again because I'd be tempted to sell my 13" MBP and grab that...
Likewise. Those specs are impressive, especially for their 13" models.

Edit: When does the student iPod promotion begin? Is it in the summer?

giga

Macs keep 90% of their resale value a year later if you take good care of them. Back to School promotion starts in May.

Orlandu84

giga said:
Macs keep 90% of their resale value a year later if you take good care of them. Back to School promotion starts in May.

Does that rate of depreciation hold for each year? I ask because I have a four year old MacBook Pro in good condition, and the specs for these new MBP's are really tempting me.

dmshaposv

I'm betting Apple will re-brand lightpeak as "LightWire" as it literally is just that, and acts as a nice extention to the FireWire brand.

giga

Orlandu84 said:
Does that rate of depreciation hold for each year? I ask because I have a four year old MacBook Pro in good condition, and the specs for these new MBP's are really tempting me.
That’s pre-unibody right? You could probably net at least $600-700 on craigs if we’re talking 15". Many people don’t know the differences in generations and specs. They just see a Macbook Pro for $600 and go holy shit.

Bowser

Question: anyone here have a matte screen on their MBPs? The Thinkpad I'm moving from has a matte screen, but I'm wondering how a matte screen looks like on a MBP and whether or not it's worth it to go to a matte screen (if I get the high-end 13").

mrkgoo

mf.luder said:
Amazing. I can't wait to see how that SSD storing the OS operates. I'm interested in how 3rd party apps will have access to the SSD.

They could make it proprietary and only store system files and crap, or perhaps more simply, just make it so two drives show up mounted, one called 'mac os x system HD' or something, and the next iteration of mac os x has a little reminder during installation to help you with installing to the correct drive and booting.

This is an awesome idea though. Been wanting to try something like it with my expansion slot.

i want one, i want to replace my netbook hackintosh. But dual booting will be interesting since there will be no room on the SSD for OS X and Windows 7 on a 16 gig drive.

mrkgoo

Bowser said:
Question: anyone here have a matte screen on their MBPs? The Thinkpad I'm moving from has a matte screen, but I'm wondering how a matte screen looks like on a MBP and whether or not it's worth it to go to a matte screen (if I get the high-end 13").
They're the same as the matte screens of old, and I think they are great. You lose some contrast and pow, but you gain visibility in high light areas, and s supposedly some colour accuracy.

Blackhead

Redarse
Bowser said:
I had an '07 15" MBP (pre unibody) with a matte screen. I loved it. The glossy screens on the current MBPs are horrible to me. If those the screens still being used then I'll pay whatever money to get the matte screen option. However the high res glossy screens on the MBAs are much better than the ones on the current MBPs. If those are the new high res screens being used, I wouldn't mind them so much and wouldnt pay for the MBP high model just to get the matte screen option.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
dmshaposv said:
I'm betting Apple will re-brand lightpeak as "LightWire" as it literally is just that, and acts as a nice extention to the FireWire brand.
I thought it still uses copper?

jts

...hate me...
Fuck me, if those specs are true, I'll sell my 2010 MBP :(

And I have a gut feeling they are.

Also, now it makes sense that the iPad event is so soon after. Introductory light peak devices that complement each other. It didn't make sense to put light peak on the Mac with no Apple product for it to play with, same thing for the iPad.

Super fast idevices syncing... FINALLY! I've been dreaming with this day to come.

rass

Bowser said:
*melts*
I have a late 2006 MBP 2,1
15" matte screen
2.16 GHz
2GB ram
120GB HDD

I just got a new camera and it bloody chugs trying to batch process the larger raw files. I've been holding off and holding off on a laptop upgrade (mostly because I can't afford it), but if these specs come to fruition I may have to concentrate my saving efforts towards a replacement. I have a ~2 hour battery if I'm lucky (brand new battery 8 months ago), I would kill for a 10 hour beast.

Can't wait for Friday morning (Australia) to find out if this is going to happen!

LCfiner

noire said:
I put my late-2008 MacBook pro up for sale on Craigslist yesterday. No real nterest yet. 1 scammer, 1 person that wanted to trade me CS5 master collection, one person that was interested but then disappeared, and a cheapskate that offered me $850.

I think my pricing is fairly reasonable ($1200). It's a 15-inch, 2.4ghz c2d, 4gb ram, 250gb with a year left on AppleCare. But there are also a bunch of them that have gone up for sale over the past 2 days.

It can take a while if you hold out and don't give in to the cheapskates.

I've managed to sell every old Mac on craigslist, but dealing with some of the flakes on there can be a bit frustrating. Some of my sales have taken weeks to sell (bumping the listing every 4 or 5 days)

chris-013

Good thing I sent back my MBA 13" Ultimate to Apple 2 days before the 14 days limit !
Still nothing about the graphic card and it's strange about the i3 in 13", is there any sandy bridge in i3 ?

Chris R

Jasoco said:
If you want your damn laptop to be super thin, you're gonna have to make sacrifices. And everyone wants them thin now. The Air is the "Next generation". And if the "next generation" doesn't bring some of the features of the Air to the Pro, then when will they?

Why would you think the SSD would force it to be $300 more? 128 is the minimum SSD I'd be able to get by with if it was the only option. (i.e. no extra HDD inside) I mean, if I had to, I could probably get down to 55GB if I offload a bunch more stuff onto my Mac mini Server. I do have a lot of files on here I never access... still.

Edit: I mean, a Pro is a Pro, so it would NEED a 128GB SSD standard at the very least because people need all the space. 64GB wouldn't cut it for a Pro. An Air is fine with 64 because it's supposed to be a secondary computer with all the main files on a separate main computer. I have 26GB of music alone. 8GB of system files in the OS. 10GB user library with 5 of that being for Steam alone.

I'd cross that bridge when the time came. I just want the damn things to come out already.

It just sounds to me like you want a 13" MBA. The SSD wouldn't force the base model to be $300 more, I was just saying to get a 128GB SSD in your 13" MBP right now it costs $300. But from the latest rumors it seems like Apple did the right thing in not making SSD be the only possible drive option (not to mention keeping the optical drive).

Bowser

rass said:
*melts*
I have a late 2006 MBP 2,1
15" matte screen
2.16 GHz
2GB ram
120GB HDD

I just got a new camera and it bloody chugs trying to batch process the larger raw files. I've been holding off and holding off on a laptop upgrade (mostly because I can't afford it), but if these specs come to fruition I may have to concentrate my saving efforts towards a replacement. I have a ~2 hour battery if I'm lucky (brand new battery 8 months ago), I would kill for a 10 hour beast.

Can't wait for Friday morning (Australia) to find out if this is going to happen!

Your avy is awesome. Leo's actually the only figurine in the set that I don't have (sure I could find him if I wanted). I found a full clamshell of Mike, but only the capsule ones of Donny and Raph (the Raph one cost a pretty penny, ~$40 shipped I think, but it took me forever to find him). Might try to find a Leo now actually, heh.

hoverX

With 48 days left to my warranty my laptop decided to stop turning on. I think it's the battery. Taking it into the apple store tomorrow. Not impressed apple.

Jasoco

Banned
rhfb said:
It just sounds to me like you want a 13" MBA. The SSD wouldn't force the base model to be $300 more, I was just saying to get a 128GB SSD in your 13" MBP right now it costs $300. But from the latest rumors it seems like Apple did the right thing in not making SSD be the only possible drive option (not to mention keeping the optical drive).
The Air is underpowered. This MBP is my main machine. It needs to be fast. The Air's are not as powerful. But they are optimized. So they can feel faster.

The rumor says a 16GB SSD for storing the system which seems to imply that we will be getting hybrid SSD/HDD options. Maybe not all in one drive, but in the same computer. Though maybe the SSD part will work in conjunction with the HDD for letting you install normally, but the computer will take over in controlling what goes on the SSD part. Looking at my system, I have more than 16GB of System and Application files, but I don't USE all of that. So automatically managing the most used stuff would be neat and not require you to buy an XT or whatever hybrid.

But it doesn't explicitly say the 13" has an Optical drive. It just says the 15"+ has an option to replace it. I wouldn't see a reason to have an option on just the 15" and 17" but not the 13" unless the 13" doesn't actually have the option to have that option. Also, I am weary of that part of the rumot as it seems un-Apple-like to have a computer whose optical drive is taken out, but the case will still have the slot. So unless they're going to replace the whole case as well if you order one with no DVD, it just seems unlike them Aesthetics and all.

Part that interests me the most though is the return to dropping the white MB and replacing it with the low end Pro. Which will still be called Pro? That bit them on the ass last time, would they do it again?

i3 is nice, but an extra USB port wouldn't do me any good. I don't need the 2 I have most of the time. And it doesn't seem to be much lighter.

But I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Chris R

The air is underpowered, but you could just always wait until they get Sandy Bridge parts (hell, they might even get Ivy Bridge stuff).

And I can't wait either. Going to be very very tempting depending on what graphics card the 15" gets. I was planning on building a new desktop at the end of the year but might just get a MBP instead. Its been awhile since I've had a good laptop (I hate my netbook).

Also, yay, my puny town of 300k+ is finally getting an Apple store sometime later this year.

Jasoco

Banned
rhfb said:
The air is underpowered, but you could just always wait until they get Sandy Bridge parts (hell, they might even get Ivy Bridge stuff).

And I can't wait either. Going to be very very tempting depending on what graphics card the 15" gets. I was planning on building a new desktop at the end of the year but might just get a MBP instead. Its been awhile since I've had a good laptop (I hate my netbook).

Also, yay, my puny town of 300k+ is finally getting an Apple store sometime later this year.
I would consider a 13" Air as a main computer (I have a Mac mini I use for all my heavy work such as backing up and watching movies and storing bulk files) if it were more powerful. They're only 1.8GHz. My Pro is 2.4. The normal MB is 2.4. Also, 2GB RAM as base is sucky. And the max of 4GB isn't much of a help. (I have 8GB)

But the more they optimize it for speed and taking advantage of what it has, I can see those not being that big of a problem.

Does anyone have an Air (Current 13") that has played MineCraft or other well known games on it? Or used PhotoShop CS3? Or iMovie? Does it hold up?

If there isn't a merging of the two lines by a couple years, I might just "upgrade" to the Air side next time. Then again, it would have to be fairly fast enough. Maybe with the next processor upgrade. I mean the Air's are so nice looking and light. Hell, it might even be sooner than a couple years. Hell, it might actually be the next Air update.

Really that's all my computing comes down to is internet and light games. I mean I'm not trying to play Call of Duty or anything and the most detailed 3D games I play occasionally are Portal (But not really ever) and DOOM in DoomsDay Engine (Which is just Quake). And other than that, MineCraft, Braid, Angry Birds and emulators. All stuff I would assume an Air could play fine.

dmshaposv

Possible lightpeak related megaton?

Screenshot2011-02-23at105236.png

Apple branding LightPeak as Thnderbolt?

Source: http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?showtopic=340295&pid=3393771&st=0&#entry3393771

Also rumoured 13 inch specs:

Core i5 two cores at 2.3 GHz 3 MB cache
4 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz
Hard Drive 320 GB 5400 rpm
Screen 13.33 "glossy 1280x800
Intel Graphics GPU HD 3000 with 384MB of RAM shared with main memory
Caméra HD FaceTime
Superdrive 8x
Thunderbolt yet compatible with the I / O devices and high speed MiniDisplayport
SDXC Card slot, Firewire 800 and two USB 2.0
Digital Audio Output
Integrated Ethernet
Backlit keyboard
Size and weight 32.5 x22, 7x2, 41 cm, 2.04 kg

Jasoco

Banned
dmshaposv said:
Also rumoured 13 inch specs:

Core i5 two cores at 2.3 GHz 3 MB cache
4 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz
Hard Drive 320 GB 5400 rpm
Screen 13.33 "glossy 1280x800
Intel Graphics GPU HD 3000 with 384MB of RAM shared with main memory
Caméra HD FaceTime
Superdrive 8x
Thunderbolt yet compatible with the I / O devices and high speed MiniDisplayport
SDXC Card slot, Firewire 800 and two USB 2.0
Digital Audio Output
Integrated Ethernet
Backlit keyboard
Size and weight 32.5 x22, 7x2, 41 cm, 2.04 kg
You lost me. There's no way they'll keep them at 1280x800 now that they've shown they're heading to 1440x900.

rass

Ashhong said:
The resolution makes me sad. I think that has to be upped in the 13" for me to upgrade.
don't forget that you can get an optional "high resolution" monitor on current 15" models - nothing stopping them from offering such an upgrade on the new 13" models.

rezuth

Jasoco said:
The Air is underpowered. This MBP is my main machine. It needs to be fast. The Air's are not as powerful. But they are optimized. So they can feel faster.

The rumor says a 16GB SSD for storing the system which seems to imply that we will be getting hybrid SSD/HDD options. Maybe not all in one drive, but in the same computer. Though maybe the SSD part will work in conjunction with the HDD for letting you install normally, but the computer will take over in controlling what goes on the SSD part. Looking at my system, I have more than 16GB of System and Application files, but I don't USE all of that. So automatically managing the most used stuff would be neat and not require you to buy an XT or whatever hybrid.

But it doesn't explicitly say the 13" has an Optical drive. It just says the 15"+ has an option to replace it. I wouldn't see a reason to have an option on just the 15" and 17" but not the 13" unless the 13" doesn't actually have the option to have that option. Also, I am weary of that part of the rumot as it seems un-Apple-like to have a computer whose optical drive is taken out, but the case will still have the slot. So unless they're going to replace the whole case as well if you order one with no DVD, it just seems unlike them Aesthetics and all.

Part that interests me the most though is the return to dropping the white MB and replacing it with the low end Pro. Which will still be called Pro? That bit them on the ass last time, would they do it again?

i3 is nice, but an extra USB port wouldn't do me any good. I don't need the 2 I have most of the time. And it doesn't seem to be much lighter.

But I guess we'll find out soon enough.
I'm sure the extra one is LightPeak

dmshaposv

If these specs are real, no way I'm getting 13". I want a discrete GPU and heck I don't mind ditching the ODD for SSD boot-up - if the earlier rumours are to be believed about the 15" and 17".

Thursday can't come soon enough.

Ashhong

rass said:
don't forget that you can get an optional "high resolution" monitor on current 15" models - nothing stopping them from offering such an upgrade on the new 13" models.

Nothing stopped them the last x amount of years either :( But I am hoping its standard at the 1200 price point.

giga said:
That looks like a mini dp port.

mini-displayport.jpg

Gotta agree. Looked at the side of my mbp and its the exact same as the picture. If that is the thunderport, where is the miniDP port? and only 2 usb ports would mean that other article with rumors was wrong.

giga

Ashhong said:
Gotta agree. Looked at the side of my mbp and its the exact same as the picture. If that is the thunderport, where is the miniDP port? and only 2 usb ports would mean that other article with rumors was wrong.
Yeah, it's the 2009 MBP.

macbook-pro.jpg

60807_330_la_photo_du_nouveau_port_thunderbolt.png

LCfiner

I admit, I have a soft spot in my heart for fake Mac photoshops. We see them less frequently for Macs these days, now that iDevices are more popular.

there's something about them that makes me smile.

MacRumors is confirming those pictures as legit now. Their listed specs for the 13" are pretty disappointing. They better be for the low-end model.

dmshaposv

Valkyr Junkie said:
MacRumors is confirming those pictures as legit now. Their listed specs for the 13" are pretty disappointing. They better be for the low-end model.

The French site claims it is for the high-end 13", which makes it worse.

This isn't so bad, makes my decision for 15" even easier.

Top Bottom