• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Thanks very much. Three lesser questions now.

1. What is the best streaming application from PC to Mac?
2. I've seen some here take sceenshots of their Mac desktops, and whilst i know how to take a screenshot, their images had a gradient effect behind them. It looked like a Photoshop creation, but was curious if there was a native way to achieve that effect without editing it using software? So is there a keyboard shortcut or something to produce these type of screenshots? Or maybe you don't know what the heck I'm talking about lol
3. I'm considering Office for Mac, but in the store when I was using it, it didn't seem to recognise mutli-touch features like zooming into the text.

Ashhong

Meus Renaissance said:
Problem

I wanted to share my Windows folders with the Mac, and so I tried the Connect to Server functionality. Everything went fine (although it only found my shared media folders but I guess I change that on Windows later), but I clicked the remember password when logging in. How can I undo that? Because now I only need to type in or select the server and it logs in automatically with my Windows folders there accessible. I want to change that so you need to input the password each time.

Can you help me share my Windows folders? I can't get it working...

Meus Renaissance said:
2. I've seen some here take sceenshots of their Mac desktops, and whilst i know how to take a screenshot, their images had a gradient effect behind them. It looked like a Photoshop creation, but was curious if there was a native way to achieve that effect without editing it using software? So is there a keyboard shortcut or something to produce these type of screenshots? Or maybe you don't know what the heck I'm talking about lol

Do you mean this:
Screen%20shot%202011-03-13%20at%203.09.10%20PM.png

?

If so you can press Cmd+Shift+4 then press Space, and then click on the window you want to take a screenshot of.

Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean. :p

RAM...I thought I wouldn't need 8GB. But I further need to understand how OSX uses it, and why it's so different in Unix than WIndows. Me always forget

9rXP

Ashhong said:
Can you help me share my Windows folders? I can't get it working...

I never got it to fully work (understand). I got as far as being able to connect to Windows and see certain folders, but didn't know how to add to the list of folders that the Mac was seeing. Something on the Windows on.

Go to Finder. Then ⌘+K. Then type in the following

smb://X.X.X.X

The X denotes your computer's IP address. To know what that is, go to Command Prompt (Start>Run> type in "cmd"), and in there type in "ipconfig /all". You should see it under IPv4 Address right above your gateways subnet. Mine is 192.168.1.67 so I typed in

smb://192.168.1.67

Then you'll get a dialogue box asking you for a User Name and password. Type in the Username and Password of the account that you use on Windows and when it connects, it'll ask you to choose what folders you want to view. But there are limitations to this and I don't know yet how to find a better method.

Treefingers said:
Do you mean this:
Screen%20shot%202011-03-13%20at%203.09.10%20PM.png

?

If so you can press Cmd+Shift+4 then press Space, and then click on the window you want to take a screenshot of.

Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean. :p

This is it. Thanks

Jasoco

Banned
Mecha_Infantry said:
RAM...I thought I wouldn't need 8GB. But I further need to understand how OSX uses it, and why it's so different in Unix than WIndows. Me always forget

9rXP
Man, Safari is a RAM hog.

TxdoHawk

Anyone upgrade from the outgoing 13-inch Pro to the new model? Curious to know if you felt the upgrade was worth it. I am considering trying to get the outgoing 13-inch at a discount instead of buying the new one. Don't think I really need the extra processing speed or Thunderbolt, which seem to be the only perks of the new model.

Jasoco

Banned
Is it recommended to partition an SSD? Are there drawbacks or fears? I want too, but I'm a little weary of screwing this one up ever since my first one failed. I wanted to split my 128 into two 64's and use the other one for something else. But I don't want to ruin the drive.

Ashhong

TxdoHawk said:
Anyone upgrade from the outgoing 13-inch Pro to the new model? Curious to know if you felt the upgrade was worth it. I am considering trying to get the outgoing 13-inch at a discount instead of buying the new one. Don't think I really need the extra processing speed or Thunderbolt, which seem to be the only perks of the new model.

I had the first 13" unibody, and upgraded a few months later to the 13" MBP because of the features. That being said, even I did not find the mid-2010 or the 2011 MBP worthy of an upgrade. Like you said its only the CPU and Thunderbolt. I find that my 2009 model runs perfectly in terms of CPU performance. Now if the screen were a higher resolution I would be saying something different for sure.

Meus Renaissance said:
I never got it to fully work (understand). I got as far as being able to connect to Windows and see certain folders, but didn't know how to add to the list of folders that the Mac was seeing. Something on the Windows on.

Go to Finder. Then ⌘+K. Then type in the following

smb://X.X.X.X

The X denotes your computer's IP address. To know what that is, go to Command Prompt (Start>Run> type in "cmd"), and in there type in "ipconfig /all". You should see it under IPv4 Address right above your gateways subnet. Mine is 192.168.1.67 so I typed in

smb://192.168.1.67

Then you'll get a dialogue box asking you for a User Name and password. Type in the Username and Password of the account that you use on Windows and when it connects, it'll ask you to choose what folders you want to view. But there are limitations to this and I don't know yet how to find a better method.

This is it. Thanks

Cool thanks. What did you have to do on Windows side?

Ashhong said:
I had the first 13" unibody, and upgraded a few months later to the 13" MBP because of the features. That being said, even I did not find the mid-2010 or the 2011 MBP worthy of an upgrade. Like you said its only the CPU and Thunderbolt. I find that my 2009 model runs perfectly in terms of CPU performance. Now if the screen were a higher resolution I would be saying something different for sure.

Cool thanks. What did you have to do on Windows side?

I actually did nothing. Interestingly, the only ones the Mac picked up on where the folders I added in Windows Media Centre a long time ago. I couldn't figure out how to share the Documents folder. The confusing thing is, it picked up on my User folder entirely, and in there it had the Photos, Music and Videos folder amongst others, but it did not show My Documents. So I didn't tamper with anything, I'll leave it to someone else who has done it before. I'm using Dropbox at the moment for my documents, which is more than good enough I suppose.

Shurs

Who doesn't like lists?

Anyone care to give me a list of 5 or 10 paid free programs that I should download for my Macbook Pro?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Shurs said:
Who doesn't like lists?

Anyone care to give me a list of 5 or 10 paid free programs that I should download for my Macbook Pro?

I believe all of these are free:

Perian and Flip4mac - video codecs : http://perian.org/ and http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/overview.htm

Burn is a good free burning software - http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

Dropbox - awesome program that allows you to synch folders/files between computers, or is generally a good tool for offsite backups: here is my referral link (if you use it, we both get additional space, but you don't have to if you don't want to): http://db.tt/nGL7oq1

Handbrake is a good open-source video transcoder - http://handbrake.fr/

I personally use Picasa instead of iPhoto, but to each his own - http://picasa.google.com/mac/

Onyx is a good utility program for fixin things if need be - http://www.titanium.free.fr/index.php

Steam! - for games: http://store.steampowered.com/

Text Wrangler - a good text editor (better than the barebones *no pun intended!* one on osx): http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

Transmission - good torrent program: http://www.transmissionbt.com/

Alternates to quicktime (There is debate as to which are best, you can try them all out and see for yourself):

VLC: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
MPlayer OSX Extended: http://www.mplayerosx.ch/
Movist: http://code.google.com/p/movist/

jts

...hate me...
Shurs said:
Who doesn't like lists?

Caffeine
Alfred
BetterTouchTool
Dropbox
coconutBattery

Shurs said:
Who doesn't like lists?

Reeder is an awesome RSS client based on Google Reader. Currently in Beta but it's very stable.

F.lux dims your display at night to put less strain on your eyes. I can't recommend this enough. It will look weird at first but once you get used to it there's no going back.

TextWrangler is a great text editor.

Bowtie is a great little app that shows currently playing iTunes artwork, lets you set global iTunes shortcuts & can be connected to last.fm if you use it.

AppCleaner is a great uninstaller that deletes files related to an application & can be set to delete those files when you drag an application to the trash.

^ These are all free. =)

Has anybody tried the League of Legends Mac Beta on their new 13inch i5 MBP? It worked fine on the one I had for a few weeks before exchanging for the new model, but on the new mac it does not want to load.

Is there a compatibility mode on the mac I could try; tips to get it working?

SuperPac

Meus Renaissance said:
I tried Reeder and whilst it is Beta, the UI was too simplistic for my taste. Enjoying NewsRack instead.

Yeah I prefer Newsrack too. On the iPhone/iPad I think the rather monochrome/bland look of Reeder works and it looks clean and elegant on those devices. But it clashes so hard once it's on a monitor with other windows that aren't parchment-tinged.

Shurs

Thanks for the suggestions, bros.

I had already downloaded a few of the programs mentioned, like Dropbox, but some were definitely new to me.

I'm really digging Reeder.

Keep 'em coming.

bionic77

Meus Renaissance said:
I tried Reeder and whilst it is Beta, the UI was too simplistic for my taste. Enjoying NewsRack instead.

2j2xhdg.png
I like the look of that newsreader.

A bit offtopic, but anyone know of something similar for the iPhone?

Is it possible to upgrade/change a MBP screen to one with a higher resolution? The 1280x800 res isnt that great when reading text on websites, feels blurry almost. I would imagine the 13inch MBPs next year would have a higher resolution, so i'm just wondering if its possible to change. I imagine it would be

bionic77

Meus Renaissance said:
Is it possible to upgrade/change a MBP screen to one with a higher resolution? The 1280x800 res isnt that great when reading text on websites, feels blurry almost. I would imagine the 13inch MBPs next year would have a higher resolution, so i'm just wondering if its possible to change. I imagine it would be
I am not sure if you can do that on any laptop.

Sorry, but I think you are SOL.

Wallach

TxdoHawk said:

It's pretty much just what you said. The lowest-end of the 2011 MBP is as fast as the highest-end 2010 MBP, and you get Thunderbolt (aka a MiniDisplay port unless you could actually use those devices later). If you don't think you're going to use that extra processor/memory speed, though, why not save the cash? That said, if you don't think you're going to use the extra speed, you may also want to consider the normal MB instead of the 2010 MBP 13" since those were still using C2D. If you aren't that concerned about the speed I don't think there's a whole lot of advantages to that particular 13" MBP other than having 4GB stock (which you can easily get in a normal MB or Air or something).

bionic77

Meus Renaissance said:
How do they replace broken screens then? They surely have to remove it?
Good question, but as far as I know there is very little beyond RAM and the HD that you can replace on any laptop (I feel like back in the day there was a laptop where you could swap out graphics cards) and I have never heard of a company upgrading the screen.

I am sure with enough technical know how it can be done, but I don't think laptops are designed to actually be upgraded in that fashion.

Blackhead

Redarse
bionic77 said:
I like the look of that newsreader.

A bit offtopic, but anyone know of something similar for the iPhone?
Newsrack is also available for the iPhone—it actually started out on that platform. Also try Reeder or Feedly

TxdoHawk

Wallach said:
That said, if you don't think you're going to use the extra speed, you may also want to consider the normal MB instead of the 2010 MBP 13" since those were still using C2D. If you aren't that concerned about the speed I don't think there's a whole lot of advantages to that particular 13" MBP other than having 4GB stock (which you can easily get in a normal MB or Air or something).

Both the normal MacBook and Air would be tempting. From what I understand though, the regular Macbook's screen is much worse, plus (unless they fixed this recently) the plastic body scratches like crazy. From what I understand, the Pros aren't exactly scratch-proof themselves, but the general consensus I get is that the aluminum ages a lot better than the plastic does.

I'd love an Air, but no backlit keyboard is a dealbreaker for me. Shame too, because I'd gladly take a base model 11-inch with a RAM upgrade. (This of course means 15 days after I buy something, we'll see a spec bump with i3 processors, 4GB of RAM standard, backlit keyboards, and free ponies.)

Oh, here's a question: I keep hearing that the new combo Thunderbolt/Mini Displayport port will let users "daisy chain" devices...does this mean the port is capable of running two external displays with a simple adapter? My current understanding is that getting more than one external monitor running on a MBP involves expensive little boxes...a simpler solution would be very, very much in my interest, and would instantly push me to the 2011 model. I'm guessing no, though, or even worse: Yes, but since the 13 lacks discrete graphics now it can't.

I'm salty about not being able to order a matte screen, too, but I guess I have aftermarket options for that at least. The 13 is definitely the abused little brother of MBP's.

Meus Renaissance said:
How do they replace broken screens then? They surely have to remove it?

Laptop screens are definitely replaceable (by a trained technician at least). It's not simple though, and that's just to swap out a broken part for the same one. Putting an entirely different part is another story...while you can change the RAM or hard drive to anything compatible, other parts on laptops are (usually) very specific to that laptop itself. Swapping anything beyond the user-replaceable stuff usually involves soldering wires and putting things into very tight, exact spaces designed for very specific parts. It's not quite as simple as "buy a higher-res screen, plug it in, boom" like a desktop is.

bionic77 said:
(I feel like back in the day there was a laptop where you could swap out graphics cards)

Rare, but they exist. I know someone who had this ridiculously large laptop, we're talking like 24" I think. You could actually open it up and slot in a different graphics card, much like a desktop. Calling that thing a laptop was a stretch though...weighed half a ton and the battery probably lasted twenty minutes. Crazy expensive too...to this day, I still don't know why that kid didn't spend the money on an actual portable laptop + a high-end desktop. I think he dropped at least $2400 or so on it.

edgefusion

Mecha_Infantry said:

9rXP

How many tabs do you have open for Safari to be taking up 1gb of mem?

EDIT: Nevermind, I have 4 tabs open and it's taking up 600mb. Guess Safari really is a ram hog!

edgefusion said:
How many tabs do you have open for Safari to be taking up 1gb of mem?

EDIT: Nevermind, I have 4 tabs open and it's taking up 600mb. Guess Safari really is a ram hog!

Safari, and Chrome to a lesser extent, hog memory because of the way they handle tabs. Totally worth it for speed and crash protection.

Shazzam6999

Neo Member
In Safari's defense (even though it is my least favorite browser) most programs are optimized to use your computer's ram to the fullest extent. There's no point in having eight gigs of ram and only using one. With four tabs open it uses ~200mb of ram on my four gig system.

Wallach

TxdoHawk said:
Both the normal MacBook and Air would be tempting. From what I understand though, the regular Macbook's screen is much worse, plus (unless they fixed this recently) the plastic body scratches like crazy. From what I understand, the Pros aren't exactly scratch-proof themselves, but the general consensus I get is that the aluminum ages a lot better than the plastic does.

I'd love an Air, but no backlit keyboard is a dealbreaker for me. Shame too, because I'd gladly take a base model 11-inch with a RAM upgrade. (This of course means 15 days after I buy something, we'll see a spec bump with i3 processors, 4GB of RAM standard, backlit keyboards, and free ponies.)

Oh, here's a question: I keep hearing that the new combo Thunderbolt/Mini Displayport port will let users "daisy chain" devices...does this mean the port is capable of running two external displays with a simple adapter? My current understanding is that getting more than one external monitor running on a MBP involves expensive little boxes...a simpler solution would be very, very much in my interest, and would instantly push me to the 2011 model. I'm guessing no, though, or even worse: Yes, but since the 13 lacks discrete graphics now it can't.

I'm salty about not being able to order a matte screen, too, but I guess I have aftermarket options for that at least. The 13 is definitely the abused little brother of MBP's.

I hear you about the backlit keyboard, in the end (besides the fact that I'm getting into iOS development) it was one of the things that kept me away from an Air as well.

As far as daisy chaining multiple displays on the new ones, I don't think so. From what I can tell, all it means is that if you daisy chain out of this port the display no longer needs to be at the end of the chain. I don't think it would be a graphics issue as the 320m is an IGP as well (i.e. the 13" has never had discrete graphics options to my knowledge).

I can't speak much to the construction quality of the MB vs MBP as the 2011 MBP that I just picked up is my first Mac. It's definitely a well-built machine, though. Faster than I expected.

Pachimari

I'm recently just discovering all the basic stuff with OS X Snow Leopard. I absolutely love Dashboard, Exposé and the way you can preview files and take screenshots. All of it just seems really simple - love it. And thus I strongly considers a 27" iMac for next year, but don't know which version I need for photoshopping, web designing, programming etc.

I mentioned earlier the screen was uncomfortable to read (text), and I thought it may have been the resolution but came across this. This is exactly what I'm experiencing.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/06/whats-wrong-with-apples-font-rendering.html

Mac

6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86d908c970b-pi

Windows

6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86d90b0970b-pi

Need to find a way to make my screen look similar to the second one. The funny thing is, I've read this TypeFace issue is the same on Safari for Windows. It is true in some sense, but I can read GAF no problem for example but it feels different on my MBP. I can't put my finger on it, but the fonts look sharper on my PC even using Safari

TxdoHawk

Meus Renaissance said:
Need to find a way to make my screen look similar to the second one. The funny thing is, I've read this TypeFace issue is the same on Safari for Windows. It is true in some sense, but I can read GAF no problem for example but it feels different on my MBP. I can't put my finger on it, but the fonts look sharper on my PC even using Safari

If the comments on that article are correct, you should be able to tweak the "font smoothing" in System Preferences -> Appearance.

Oddly enough, ClearType bothered the hell out of me initially...but I can't remember ever turning it off in Windows 7, so either I got used to it or it underwent massive tweaks. Definitely prefer the Windows shot in that pair though, by far.

TxdoHawk said:
If the comments on that article are correct, you should be able to tweak the "font smoothing" in System Preferences -> Appearance.

Oddly enough, ClearType bothered the hell out of me initially...but I can't remember ever turning it off in Windows 7, so either I got used to it or it underwent massive tweaks. Definitely prefer the Windows shot in that pair though, by far.

I tried it and shit made no difference lol

TxdoHawk

Meus Renaissance said:
I tried it and shit made no difference lol

Someone in comments also mentioned about a specific setting for it in Safari. It might supercede the global setting, so if you are using that to compare changes you may want to dig around in there.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
So I just updated Skype to 5.0.07 and it blows monkey balls with regards to the GUI. I have no idea what older version I had. Something 4.something I guess. Any way to revert this? Skype turned butt-ugly and bulky with the push of a button.

mrkgoo

Rei_Toei said:
So I just updated Skype to 5.0.07 and it blows monkey balls with regards to the GUI. I have no idea what older version I had. Something 4.something I guess. Any way to revert this? Skype turned butt-ugly and bulky with the push of a button.
Nope, that's it. They improved it somewhat since beta days, but it's pretty annoying. Oh well.

Meus: macs anti-alias the font. Just like how they have a different acceleration curve for the pointer, tend to find you get used to it and maybe even prefer it if you give it the chance.

Pachimari

Is there a iMac thread around here?
Cause I'm thinking of getting an iMac 27" but I don't know how much power I need for writing, programming websites, designing, photoshopping, editing hd videos and have thousands of photos in iPhoto. ?

giga

Anastacio said:
Is there a iMac thread around here?
Cause I'm thinking of getting an iMac 27" but I don't know how much power I need for writing, programming websites, designing, photoshopping, editing hd videos and have thousands of photos in iPhoto. ?
A 2011 MBP with a fast hard drive and plenty of RAM can do that. I had an iMac 27" and it was more than speedy, but I'll never buy a desktop again because being restricted to a desk is really limiting.

Meus Renaissance said:
I mentioned earlier the screen was uncomfortable to read (text), and I thought it may have been the resolution but came across this. This is exactly what I'm experiencing.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/06/whats-wrong-with-apples-font-rendering.html

Mac

[IG]http://codinghorror.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86d908c970b-pi[/IMG]

Windows

[MG]http://codinghorror.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86d90b0970b-pi[/IMG]

You'll get used to it and start to prefer it soon. I can't stand ClearType smoothing these days.

Pachimari

giga said:
A 2011 MBP with a fast hard drive and plenty of RAM can do that. I had an iMac 27" and it was more than speedy, but I'll never buy a desktop again because being restricted to a desk is really limiting.

You'll get used to it and start to prefer it soon.
Is there a specific iMac 27" model I should go for, the more expensive one and 8GB of RAM? Does the graphic card matter?

Krelian

Rei_Toei said:
There was no version 4 for Mac, the last was 2.8. I couldn't stand the new UI either so I reinstalled my old version. If you can't find the dmg of the older version I could upload it somewhere. Doesn't work all that well sometimes though (it takes a while for contacts to show online).

Ashhong said:
You know what I remembered, if you go to the wallpaper options, are any of the pictures selected? For example, if you select a picture, then check the "Change Picture" option, you should notice that the picture is still highlighted. If I remember right, that selected picture is the first one when the computer turns on.

Deselect the picture by clicking in a white area between the pictures and restart your computer.

I have tried variations of what you describe. Yet, my wallpaper always reverts to the last one selected. It is official, I have a fast, stupid computer. Thankfully it can still edit video like a pro.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Krelian said:
There was no version 4 for Mac, the last was 2.8. I couldn't stand the new UI either so I reinstalled my old version. If you can't find the dmg of the older version I could upload it somewhere. Doesn't work all that well sometimes though (it takes a while for contacts to show online).

If you got time for that, I'd most appreciate it. I can only find old threads and betas of 2.8 with google. I don't really mind if it takes a little longer to properly start, I'm usually online all day during work and the new GUI is really clunky :/

mrkgoo

Rei_Toei said:
If you got time for that, I'd most appreciate it. I can only find old threads and betas of 2.8 with google. I don't really mind if it takes a little longer to properly start, I'm usually online all day during work and the new GUI is really clunky :/
Please tell me you use time machine. If so, you could always restore the app before you upgraded, and even the preference file to go with it.

Synless

Ok, so I just picked up a new macbook pro and I am trying to use facetime. The problem is it keeps saying "An internal FaceTime error occurred. There was a problem with FaceTime. You need to quit and open FaceTime again." every time I try to open the application. I read a tutorial of other people with similar problems and they said I needed to move two files into a different folder. The problem is that those two files don't exist in the folder they said it was in. I've tried reinstalling the app from the disc and even just recently reinstalled the entire OS. Does anyone here have any idea what to do?

Top Bottom