• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Jasoco

Banned
mrkgoo said:
Ah, so you can download dmgs from the AppStore? Cool.
Only certain "apps". For instance, the Lion update is an image with an installer that mounts then runs. (See the Lion thread for information) Basically as I explained, when you run the installer inside the ISO/DMG, it creates a bootable partition on the target drive that contains a simple installer and everything that is needed to boot, then reboots onto it to complete the install. It's quite amazing and genius and shows exactly how the OS X upgrade future is going to be. (Providing I can A: backup this disk image for future installing and B: can mount and install on a different Mac in the future, I don't care if they go completely disc-less this time.)

And Xcode would make sense too since it is a big thing and not just an application. So it'll probably download an image then install from it. Don't quote me on it though, but seeing as Xcode is a whole shitload of apps and utilities and not just a single self-contained app, it basically requires a full installer. This is probably how bigger apps like PhotoShop and Office would work if they ever made it to the App Store. The store would download an image, mount it then run a script to copy the files to the right place or run the installer if it requires finer tuning.

Hi guys,

Looking to get a 13inch Air because of the weight. I can live with 128GB, but what performance boost would I see from going up to 4GB of RAM instead of 2GB? Never used a Mac before so I wouldn't know. If it was Windows, I wouldn't get anything less than 4GB.

Recon

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
Hi guys,

Looking to get a 13inch Air because of the weight. I can live with 128GB, but what performance boost would I see from going up to 4GB of RAM instead of 2GB? Never used a Mac before so I wouldn't know. If it was Windows, I wouldn't get anything less than 4GB.

I recently upgraded to 4gb from 2gb on my macbook pro, and it is running noticeably quicker when doing everyday stuff.

Blackhead

Redarse
I need some help.

I got the base model 11" MBA but, try as might, I can't fit my life into 64GB. Any tips for installing apps, like XCode or CS5 or VMWare, on a USB flash drive or is the only proper solution to upgrade to a bigger ssd?

I have an expresscard (Wintec FileMate 48GB) but the MBA doesn't have any expresscard slots. Are there no usb to expresscard adapters? Fortunately this expresscard does have a microusb slot but it's very slow and, using the included cable, isn't very stable. What's the best way to connect the expresscard to a MBA?

Blackhead

Redarse
Futureman said:
why not get something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HO59WM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Tiny, USB powered, cheap, 500GB.
Too bulky. I don't want dangling wires when carrying the MBA.

That said, thanks for the recommendation. I'll replace the externals I use for media with that that drive. Are there any smaller ones?

Edit: Actually, are flash drives viable for running those apps or not? if not, then i'll get this drive for that purpose.

Jasoco

Banned
I could probably fit my main life into 64GB. All I need on me at all times is my music. The majority of the 95GB I have on my 128GB SSD are random files from the 10 years I've been a Mac user. I have a media server that could easily take over the job of hosting the files. Looking at it now, I kinda wish I had gotten the 64GB SSD instead of the 128.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Do Macbook Pro's run very hot? I touched my brother's macbook older macbook that I believe has aluminum, and it was hot as hell. How do you guys deal with the heat?

Trojita said:
Do Macbook Pro's run very hot? I touched my brother's macbook older macbook that I believe has aluminum, and it was hot as hell. How do you guys deal with the heat?
they can warm up on the bottom, yes. I deal with it like I've dealt with all my laptops (all of which get hot on the bottom): I sit with my legs out like a V (knees pointing towards the back corners of the laptop, if that makes sense) with the laptop in the middle, keeping most of the heat off my legs. Alternately, I'll sit my laptop on a laptop tray/cooler thing.

mollipen

Meus Renaissance said:
I meant pogroms that save in a predefined location when you use that program. For example, I can write a document on Word and choose ton save that file in Folder X. Next time I create another file on Word, it will save in Folder X unless I change that. When you use a torrent app, you can choose where to save the files after they are done downloading. Every Windows app does this in my experience. But, downloading a word document from a website will go to the destination my browser chose, not Folder X. It's not about the file type but the program you use to access it and each program allows you to set your own unique locations

Typically apps that can save files to a location will do one of two things: have a place in the Preferences where you can set what the default download folder should be, or a dialog box will open up when you're saving which usually remembers the last place that that application saved to.

Ashhong

Trojita said:

You get used to it. Sometimes when I'm lying down and using it on my stomach, I swear it boils my blood or something lol. It also makes me want to take a shit, so that can be a plus sometimes.

Trojita said:

My new i5 13" MBP runs warmer than the Core 2 Duo one I had for a few weeks before the new models came out (but not by much).

My Old HP with a single core 64bit AMD Turion ran much hotter than my MBP's.

All laptops get hot when you push them. What I like about the MBP's is they don't get hot till you push the cpu and or gpu (at least that has been my experience so far). I'm quite happy with what I've got. The aluminum cools off quite fast when you're done doing things like playing games.

Ok, I give up. I have been trying to figure out how to make my main machine have a random background (consistently).

What I have been doing is: system preferences-> Desktop and Screen Saver->

Then I check these three boxes
Change picture: every 30 min
Random Order
Translucent Menu bar (doesn't matter, but eh)

After I do this, I'll turn the machine off, then the next time I start it up, it will have the same wallpaper as last time I turned it on, so I go through the process again to change it.

How can I get the wallpapers to continuously be selected in a random order without going to system preferences every time?

Ashhong

Benjillion said:
Ok, I give up. I have been trying to figure out how to make my main machine have a random background (consistently).

What I have been doing is: system preferences-> Desktop and Screen Saver->

Then I check these three boxes
Change picture: every 30 min
Random Order
Translucent Menu bar (doesn't matter, but eh)

After I do this, I'll turn the machine off, then the next time I start it up, it will have the same wallpaper as last time I turned it on, so I go through the process again to change it.

How can I get the wallpapers to continuously be selected in a random order without going to system preferences every time?

The machine often chooses the same wallpaper when you turn it off and on. It will still change to a random picture in 30 minutes. I'm not sure how to control the first picture you see though. Does it at least change in 30 minutes?

Yeah, the wallpaper changes after the first 30 minutes. It is kind of annoying how when I start the machine it flashes a new wallpaper, then reverts to the first one every time. Is there anyway to make it random all the time?

Ashhong

Benjillion said:
Yeah, the wallpaper changes after the first 30 minutes. It is kind of annoying how when I start the machine it flashes a new wallpaper, then reverts to the first one every time. Is there anyway to make it random all the time?

Not to my knowledge. I use all of my programs in full screen so I don't even notice.

Jasoco

Banned
That's weird because my random desktop pictures work fine. A different one (Of the hundreds I use) each time I log in with it changing every 5 minutes.

Ashhong

You know what I remembered, if you go to the wallpaper options, are any of the pictures selected? For example, if you select a picture, then check the "Change Picture" option, you should notice that the picture is still highlighted. If I remember right, that selected picture is the first one when the computer turns on.

Deselect the picture by clicking in a white area between the pictures and restart your computer.

RDreamer

I just upgraded the hard drive on my macbook pro and did a full restore from my time machine backup. It put everything on there and told me to restart, and then it'd be back to being the same ol' computer. Except it's been sitting on the spinning wheel when you start it up for like 25-30 minutes now. Is this normal?

mrkgoo

RDreamer said:
I just upgraded the hard drive on my macbook pro and did a full restore from my time machine backup. It put everything on there and told me to restart, and then it'd be back to being the same ol' computer. Except it's been sitting on the spinning wheel when you start it up for like 25-30 minutes now. Is this normal?
Should just start up, I think. After starting it will have to reindex for spotlight, but that's it. I don't remember it taking super long after an un upgrade I did recently. Might depend on the size o the drive though.

You should however do a pram reset (hold down cmd opt p r and wait for the second bong sound) at some point.

Wallach

Well, this is my first post from my new MBP.

First impressions: snappy. Keyboard is really nice. Really like using the two finger thing to scroll web pages, can definitely get used to that. Safari doesn't seem to want to run in full screen. Guess I have some investigating to do.

Ashhong

Wallach said:
Well, this is my first post from my new MBP.

First impressions: snappy. Keyboard is really nice. Really like using the two finger thing to scroll web pages, can definitely get used to that. Safari doesn't seem to want to run in full screen. Guess I have some investigating to do.

Hint: the green + button is not a maximize button. you have to manually resize windows using the dragger in the bottom right. Or install BetterTouchTool and make it like Windows 7 where you can drag it to the edge of the screen and have it snap into place.

Wallach

Ashhong said:
Hint: the green + button is not a maximize button. you have to manually resize windows using the dragger in the bottom right. Or install BetterTouchTool and make it like Windows 7 where you can drag it to the edge of the screen and have it snap into place.

Yeah, figured that one out. I moved the dock to the left and have it hide, so at least I can see everything now.

Ashhong

Wallach said:
Yeah, figured that one out. I moved the dock to the left and have it hide, so at least I can see everything now.

Do yourself a favor and get BetterTouchTool. If you think 2 finger scrolling is awesome, you will be blown away with all of the different gestures you can do.

Guys, I have last years Mac Book Pro. I want to install a SSD in it. But I thought I read i would have to remove the CD drive to be able to do so. Anyone else have any experience with this, if so is the CD drive removal thing true?

edgefusion

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-235-SE

What do you guys think? Going from a standard 5400rpm which may or may not be causing my MacBook Pro serious slow-down issues. I watched some videos of this thing in an MBP booting in 20 seconds so it seems like it could be a pretty impressive speed improvement and it'd no doubt come in useful when using applications like Photoshop and InDesign (which I use regularly), right?

RDreamer

edgefusion said:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-235-SE

What do you guys think? Going from a standard 5400rpm which may or may not be causing my MacBook Pro serious slow-down issues. I watched some videos of this thing in an MBP booting in 20 seconds so it seems like it could be a pretty impressive speed improvement and it'd no doubt come in useful when using applications like Photoshop and InDesign (which I use regularly), right?

That would be pretty nice. I considered going solid state when I upgraded this, but then decided to go with a normal HDD because of space and money issues. I wanted a lot of space, since graphic design and photography files take up a ton of it, and I don't want to rely on externals and have to carry one of those to a client or something.

Also, got my MBP to finally boot. I had to reinstall OS X over the old install. Works great. I'm loving that I don't have to keep deleting stuff. 120 gigs was way too small for what I need to do. I also put in an extra gig of ram (My MBP maxes out at 3, unfortunately). Haven't really noticed any changes with that, though.

Question, though: Is there an easy way of relocating my music to my internal HDD and having to just point itunes right there for literally everything? Right now 100% of my music is on an external in a music folder, and I kind of want to pull that folder onto the internal HDD now that I have room, but I feel like itunes would make that painful and have me repoint every song to its spot individually or something.

Jasoco

Banned
Mustaphadamus said:
Guys, I have last years Mac Book Pro. I want to install a SSD in it. But I thought I read i would have to remove the CD drive to be able to do so. Anyone else have any experience with this, if so is the CD drive removal thing true?
What dummy told you that? The HDD and RAM are easily accessible by anyone. You just need the right size screwdriver. (I had Crucial throw one in for me when I did my RAM)

Jasoco said:
What dummy told you that? The HDD and RAM are easily accessible by anyone. You just need the right size screwdriver. (I had Crucial throw one in for me when I did my RAM)
you misunderstand. I meant someone said the SSD would be to big for it AND the cd drive to be in at the same time . But from your post I guess that was utter poo poo

Jasoco

Banned
Mustaphadamus said:
you misunderstand. I meant someone said the SSD would be to big for it AND the cd drive to be in at the same time . But from your post I guess that was utter poo poo
Well, as long as you get a SSD for a laptop, there is no problem. Pretty much all of them are made for laptops. In fact, most if not all desktop SSD's are just laptop sized in a 3.5" heat-sink case.

Ashhong

charlemagne said:
After owning a MBP for over a year, I only just installed BTT. This is the greatest thing ever. Any suggestions on good gestures/commands?

I keep mine simple, and dont use fancy gestures like rotate 2 fingers and whatnot. I also mainly use it for web browsing, but I use..

3 finger left - Back
3 finger right - forward
3 finger tap - middle click
3 finger up/down - next/previous tab
4 finger tap - Google Chrome Tab Expose (a nice feature that shows all of your tabs at once, expose style)
4 finger left - refresh
4 finger right - new tab

makes web browsing so much easier

AlexMogil

charlemagne said:
After owning a MBP for over a year, I only just installed BTT. This is the greatest thing ever. Any suggestions on good gestures/commands?

I only have a couple. Five finger click = close app (Command Q). Clockwise two finger twist reloads a page in Chrome (Command R). 4 Finger click closes a page in a browser.

Kjellson

Okay, I've decided that I'm getting a Mac for the first time in a near future.

Here's the thing: Should I wait for Lion? I know it's releasing in Summer 2011 but I wont have my current computer after May. I don't want to spend the whole summer without a computer.

I heard Apple offers you to change OS, but I'm not sure.

charlemagne said:
After owning a MBP for over a year, I only just installed BTT. This is the
greatest thing ever. Any suggestions on good gestures/commands?

I've found this to be most intuitive for google chrome

Three Fingers Swipe
down - Close tab
up- New Tab
left- switch tab left
right- switch tab right

Two finger rotate
clockwise- refresh
counter clockwise- back

Kjellson said:

Here's the thing: Should I wait for Lion? I know it's releasing in Summer 2011 but I wont have my current computer after May. I don't want to spend the whole summer without a computer.

I asked the store manager this, and he said he wouldn't be surprised if they would be offering a discount for the OS if you purchased your MAC shortly before Lion is released. I would recommend purchasing it as late as possible, and go to your local retail store and ask the same.

Question

What would you recommend the minimum partition size for installing Windows 7?

Jasoco

Banned
Kjellson said:

If you can wait, do. But Lion wont be out until summer, probably August or September. If they charge, and they will, no one knows if it'll be normal full $129 like before or $29 like SL was. Or if it'll be in between. So who knows. The free Lion wont apply to anyone who buys before the final release date is released, so keep thatin mind. Either way, Lion will be worth it. No matter what it costs.

Ashhong

Meus Renaissance said:
I asked the store manager this, and he said he wouldn't be surprised if they would be offering a discount for the OS if you purchased your MAC shortly before Lion is released. I would recommend purchasing it as late as possible, and go to your local retail store and ask the same.

Question

What would you recommend the minimum partition size for installing Windows 7?

What do you plan to do with Windows 7 and how big is your harddrive? I use mine solely for games. I only have Starcraft 2 and League of Legends on it on a 320gb harddrive. I used a 40gb partition I believe. It's more than enough. I believe Windows itself takes like 20?

Kjellson

Meus Renaissance said:
Jasoco said:
If you can wait, do. But Lion wont be out until summer, probably August or September. If they charge, and they will, no one knows if it'll be normal full $129 like before or $29 like SL was. Or if it'll be in between. So who knows. The free Lion wont apply to anyone who buys before the final release date is released, so keep thatin mind. Either way, Lion will be worth it. No matter what it costs.
All right, I'm gonna try talking to someone in the local store and see what they got to say, and then I'm probably gonna wait till it's time to get a new computer. Thanks for answering guys!

Anyway, does anyone have any idea when they're gonna announce the date? Not the exact date, but will it be in May or close to the release?

Jasoco

Banned
Kjellson said:
All right, I'm gonna try talking to someone in the local store and see what they got to say, and then I'm probably gonna wait till it's time to get a new computer. Thanks for answering guys!

Anyway, does anyone have any idea when they're gonna announce the date? Not the exact date, but will it be in May or close to the release?
I think there might be one more keynote showing off more features, but they might not. The only real date they could do it is WWDC. Since they announced an iOS event coming sooner which means WWDC might actually be about OS X and where it's going so they'll want an event about it to get developers updating their apps to work.

So it'll probably be late August or September.

Can anyone attest to the quality/quietness of Western Digital external hard drives? I ended up getting a 1TB from La Cie because of Firewire support, but I'm beginning to realize how unnecessary it is for me. Also, the glossy finish began gathering dust minutes after taking it out of the box. It also doesn't go into any sort of sleep mode when not in use like my old Maxtor drive did.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QEBMCI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

EDIT: I guess it does go to sleep, but it's loud as shit when it wakes up. Fuck this thing.

hirokazu

Jimmy Stav said:
Can anyone attest to the quality/quietness of Western Digital external hard drives? I ended up getting a 1TB from La Cie because of Firewire support, but I'm beginning to realize how unnecessary it is for me. Also, the glossy finish began gathering dust minutes after taking it out of the box. It also doesn't go into any sort of sleep mode when not in use like my old Maxtor drive did.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QEBMCI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

EDIT: I guess it does go to sleep, but it's loud as shit when it wakes up. Fuck this thing.
I've got a 1GB one of those. It's basically fine, except that the timeout before sleep is a bit short for my tastes and it annoys me given it takes about 3-5 seconds to spin up again.

hirokazu said:
I've got a 1GB one of those. It's basically fine, except that the timeout before sleep is a bit short for my tastes and it annoys me given it takes about 3-5 seconds to spin up again.

But is it fairly quiet? The noise this LaCie drive makes some pretty jarring clicking noises, whereas my old Maxtor drive didn't.

Problem

I wanted to share my Windows folders with the Mac, and so I tried the Connect to Server functionality. Everything went fine (although it only found my shared media folders but I guess I change that on Windows later), but I clicked the remember password when logging in. How can I undo that? Because now I only need to type in or select the server and it logs in automatically with my Windows folders there accessible. I want to change that so you need to input the password each time.

Meus Renaissance said:
Problem

I wanted to share my Windows folders with the Mac, and so I tried the Connect to Server functionality. Everything went fine (although it only found my shared media folders but I guess I change that on Windows later), but I clicked the remember password when logging in. How can I undo that? Because now I only need to type in or select the server and it logs in automatically with my Windows folders there accessible. I want to change that so you need to input the password each time.

I'm guessing it's saved in Keychain? I would open Keychain Access and have a look in there, you can then delete the saved password.

Top Bottom