• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Today I saw someone had this really nice text-to-speech software. I think it was called CarolRead or something that sounded like that. Google search results turned up nothing. Help?

jts

...hate me...
So finally I got a new MBP charger. After turning progressively to shit until completely dying (chewed to death by cats) I got it to service one week ago and today Apple gave me a new one for free today, because it was still under warranty :) Soooo nice of them!

Also, as much as I love my iPad, boy did I miss this computer! (and the freedom to move from place to place with it around the room without the charger failing).

And to think I was about to buy a new charger (original or third party) without taking this one to service. Take your broken shit to Apple first, guys.

Hi guys. Just, out of curiosity, because I already convinced myself that it is completely useless, what is the logic behind the "+" button in the windows. It's clear that it is not to maximize the window full screen, I just need to know what it is for then and in which circumstances could it be useful, if there is any. Why don't they just give you the option to choose if you want to use it to maximize your window full screen? Seriously, I'm super happy with my Mac but I sometimes think they just want to make things differently for the sake of it. Argh!

(btw, downloaded the right zoom thingy but it only works if I go to applications and execute it every time, is there any way to avoid this? Do I have to keep it in the dock?)

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
bytesized said:
Hi guys. Just, out of curiosity, because I already convinced myself that it is completely useless, what is the logic behind the "+" button in the windows. It's clear that it is not to maximize the window full screen, I just need to know what it is for then and in which circumstances could it be useful, if there is any. Why don't they just give you the option to choose if you want to use it to maximize your window full screen? Seriously, I'm super happy with my Mac but I sometimes think they just want to make things differently for the sake of it. Argh!

(btw, downloaded the right zoom thingy but it only works if I go to applications and execute it every time, is there any way to avoid this? Do I have to keep it in the dock?)
The + button is for toggling vertical expansion. As much vertical expansion as you need to display the content in the window without scrollbars, capped by the screen height.
The horizontal expansion is usually being kept, sometimes not though.

Edit: Or, by Apple's terms, it toggles between the window's standard and user state. The standard state is something a programmer defines; usually, this is vertical expansion (because most windows grow downwards). Doesn't have to be though. The user state is whatever you set the window dimensions to.

bytesized said:

The zoom button is meant to be used to expand the application to be as big as it needs to be so you can see all the content. For example in Safari it widens the page just enough so you don't have horizontal scrollbars, and makes the window fill all it can vertically. In Finder the window is resized similarly, it becomes as big as it needs to to show as much of the content as it can.

The reason for this is that when you maximize a window in Windows you're filling up the entire screen, usually creating a ton of blank space that is useless. The OS X way attempts to waste as little screen space as possible.

I hope that makes sense =) Just be aware that quite a few of applications (even some of Apple's, like iTunes for example) totally break this convention and do their own thing with the zoom button. But for the most part that's how it works.

LCfiner

Meus Renaissance said:
When charging the laptop, the screen becomes noticeably brighter, despite the brightness level being the same on the indicator. Is this normal?

there's a setting in power preferences to lower display brightness when on battery power. i believe it is on by default but can be unchecked so that the display stays at the same brightness when plugged in

Ashhong

Meus Renaissance said:
When charging the laptop, the screen becomes noticeably brighter, despite the brightness level being the same on the indicator. Is this normal?

Like LCfiner said its a setting. But the level shouldnt be the same. It usually drops down like 2 or 3 notches when I take off the plug.

How difficult would it be to upgrade the HDD in my late '09 MBP? I have a 320GB HDD in there, with about 160GBs left of space. When I was upgrading my RAM last month, the thought occurred to me.

Jasoco

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
Unlike Windows, I guess you can't backup to your HD but instead must use another storage device?
giga said:
Lion will have a version of Time Machine that stores backups on the internal boot drive. Will be very useful for people with laptops who can't keep a drive attached or can't stay within the home network at all times.

I have networked clones run every three hours, but if I'm not home, I ain't gonna have anything happen. So this will be very convenient just in case I need to revert back to an older file.

Ashhong

The Broken Ska Record said:
How difficult would it be to upgrade the HDD in my late '09 MBP? I have a 320GB HDD in there, with about 160GBs left of space. When I was upgrading my RAM last month, the thought occurred to me.

Not hard at all. You can either make a Time Machine backup, or like I prefer, a clone of the drive, insert new harddrive, restore with Time Machine or the Clone program whose name escapes me.

Ashhong said:
Not hard at all. You can either make a Time Machine backup, or like I prefer, a clone of the drive, insert new harddrive, restore with Time Machine or the Clone program whose name escapes me.
I have an external right now that I've been using to make backups, so that's good to go. Anything I should know about size limitations, RPM or anything?

Ashhong

Yea I upgraded my 09 MBP to a 320gb Western Digital Black with no issues. I used Carbon Copy Cloner. Its much much easier for a one time data transfer imo.

Jasoco

Banned
Interesting, I just got an update for Xcode 3. Weird since 4 is the newest version. (Not that I'm saying I figured they'd download 4 for me, that's silly. But nice there's still a bug fix for the older version. I wonder if Lion will still come with Xcode.)

Ashhong

The Broken Ska Record said:
Thanks guys. I'm going to upgrade it early next month then. I should be able to find a cheap 500GB HDD for it on Amazon or so.

Oh...just in case you didnt know, you do need a 2.5" drive. Not sure if maybe thats wat you meant by "size limitation". And actually, there are a few drives out there that are slightly thicker and do not fit in a Macbook Pro. I would ask here or other forums and make sure someone has used the harddrive.

Synless

Well, I fixed my problem with facetime. My profile was corrupted and creating a new one fixed it. Now, my next question is what are the essential things I should have on my Mac besides steam? This is my first Mac so I'm completely clueless to this OS.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
mrkgoo said:
Please tell me you use time machine. If so, you could always restore the app before you upgraded, and even the preference file to go with it.

I do use Time Machine, but haven't done anything with it ever besides dutifully make back-ups (well, it's automatic anyway), so didn't even cross my mind that I could use it for this :eek:.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I'm really not digging how OSX is playing with my readynas.

I'm even connecting through AFP :/

also I need Lion to hurry and release so this can be SSD aware

Jasoco

Banned
Rei_Toei said:
I do use Time Machine, but haven't done anything with it ever besides dutifully make back-ups (well, it's automatic anyway), so didn't even cross my mind that I could use it for this :eek:.
That's the beauty of it. It's there for you. Version control rocks.

Fox1304

For lovers of the Windows Seven functionnality that allows windows to take all screen automatically when snapped on a border, take a look at Better Touch Tools.

It does the same, and it seems that there is a LOT of other functions for multitouch, shortcuts and else.

Lovin it so far !

Jasoco

Banned
Everyone at MacRumors seems to think my videos will be pulled by Apple. Is Lion still under NDA? I assumed from all the OTHER videos on the internet of SL that it wasn't locked down anymore.

Guess we'll find out. Or hopefully not. (I can't afford to lose more videos. I had one pulled before, and would hate to lose my YouTube account.)

I'd much rather get a polite Cease and Desist letter from Apple. It would be a nice story to tell people. The week both MacRumors AND Apple became aware of little old Jasoco.

Fox1304 said:
For lovers of the Windows Seven functionnality that allows windows to take all screen automatically when snapped on a border, take a look at Better Touch Tools.

It does the same, and it seems that there is a LOT of other functions for multitouch, shortcuts and else.

Lovin it so far !

Windows snapping, like copy-paste, is one of those things I can't imagine going without. Downloaded and installed this just for that.

TxdoHawk

Meus Renaissance said:
Windows snapping, like copy-paste, is one of those things I can't imagine going without.

What's funny is that while I liked it initially in 7, it bothers me quite a bit, at least the way it currently works. I often find myself accidentally maximizing a window I just wanted to reposition, or I hit that edge while moving the window and need to move it back away from the edge so I don't trigger it. I wish I could tweak the behavior somewhat, especially how far away you need to move the window to cancel the snap.

Futureman

what happens if you format the main HD in a Mac?

does that totally erase the HD so there's nothing on it, or would it just leave OS X but erase all the user files?

I have a broken MacBook connected to my MacBook Pro via Target Disk Mode. The HD from the broken laptop shows up under Disk Utility and let's me erase it.

I'm selling the broken MacBook for parts, not sure what to do.

Futureman said:
what happens if you format the main HD in a Mac?

does that totally erase the HD so there's nothing on it, or would it just leave OS X but erase all the user files?

I have a broken MacBook connected to my MacBook Pro via Target Disk Mode. The HD from the broken laptop shows up under Disk Utility and let's me erase it.

I'm selling the broken MacBook for parts, not sure what to do.

It'll completely erase it (a.k.a. format it :p). So you'd need to re-install OS X after.

jts

...hate me...
Thanks for the Lion walkthrough Jasoco. Pretty cool.

Spotlight looks awesome. Does it finally allow for showing a file in Finder (secondary click > show in finder or something). Probably not, but I've been wanting that forever.

Anastacio said:
Is there a noticeable difference from 1TB HDD to 256GB SSD?
Is the the speed and general start-up time that is affected?

You're basically asking if there's a difference between an HDD and SSD. Yes, the speed and startup times are vastly improved with an SSD, although a lot of RAM can help out an HDD-only system.

Jasoco

Banned
jts said:
Thanks for the Lion walkthrough Jasoco. Pretty cool.

Spotlight looks awesome. Does it finally allow for showing a file in Finder (secondary click > show in finder or something). Probably not, but I've been wanting that forever.
I don't think the menu accepts right-clicks, but you have always been able to press Command+Click to show the file in the Finder. Try that. It works pretty much everywhere there is a file that can be clicked. Even in Stacks.

Jasoco said:
I don't think the menu accepts right-clicks, but you have always been able to press Command+Click to show the file in the Finder. Try that. It works pretty much everywhere there is a file that can be clicked. Even in Stacks.

Oh wow I had no idea that existed. Thank you!

JonCha

Meus Renaissance said:
I tried Reeder and whilst it is Beta, the UI was too simplistic for my taste. Enjoying NewsRack instead.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2j2xhdg.png

That's exactly what I want. I can click on a news story, view the content completely in short and full form. That's basically in one transition.

Jasoco said:

Do you have a link for your Lion demo / screenshots? Couldn't find it.

I highly recommend MenuMeters. It's a nice little program embedded into the Menu Bar giving you stats on your CPU/Disk/RAM/Network usage. Very customisable as well.

Bowser

jts said:
I've seen that deal on Macrumors, and while I really need to get 1password for Mac (just got it for iOS), I don't think I need/want any of the rest :/

1Password costs $40 anyway...why not just pay the extra $10 for the rest of the goodies? Then uninstall/delete what you don't use.

Mr. Wonderful said:
Finally sold my Late 2008 Unibody MacBook 2.0Ghz. Low end 15" MBP here I come! (As soon as Amazon deposits my money, that is).
mind if I ask what you got for it?

with the ipad 2, iphone 4 im considering making a hackintosh to hook up to my big screen and selling my late 2009 unibody, really dont have a need for a laptop

seems so fucking odd to admit that

GodfatherX said:
mind if I ask what you got for it?

with the ipad 2, iphone 4 im considering making a hackintosh to hook up to my big screen and selling my late 2009 unibody, really dont have a need for a laptop

seems so fucking odd to admit that
I got $750, but I cheaped out because I wanted it to move (it had already been listed for about a month, with me steadily decreasing the price). I could have easily have gotten $800 with a little patience, and I had inquiries about the laptop when the price was $850.

Top Bottom