• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

StuBurns

Banned
What are you converting it too? If you're trying to run it on a PS3 use tsMuxer, no loss of quality and near instant, it's just changing the container codec essentially.

giga

JAVK said:
How do you guys play videos on your mac?

Ive been using MPlayer OSX Extended, and it had been working great until recently. I encoded some 1080p and 720p MP4 file via Handbrake (FFmpeg), and MPlayer cannot open them. However both Quicktime and VLC can play them just fine.
Combination of QT with Perian and MPlayerX.

The Judge

MBP noob here, got my first one a week ago or so.

I have VLC and QuickTime installed, but QT doesn't play .avi files so I got VLC for that. But somehow the .avi files are still set to open with QT (which then gives me an error when opening, forcing me to right-click every time i want to open an .avi file to open with VLC). Basically, where is the "standard apps for this extension" menu thing? I tried searching on mac preferences or VLC's too but I can't find it.

StuBurns

Banned
The Judge said:

I have VLC and QuickTime installed, but QT doesn't play .avi files so I got VLC for that. But somehow the .avi files are still set to open with QT (which then gives me an error when opening, forcing me to right-click every time i want to open an .avi file to open with VLC). Basically, where is the "standard apps for this extension" menu thing? I tried searching on mac preferences or VLC's too but I can't find it.
Right click an avi file, get info, open with, select the program you want, then select 'change all'.

VNZ

The Judge said:

Also, make sure to install Perian which gives Quicktime the ability to play most formats. Useful in a lot of cases even if you choose to use VLC as your primary movie player.

dmshaposv

Really is a bugger not be able to use pinch-zoom for Illustrator, unlike Photoshop and Indesign - which I find incredibly intuitive and helpful.

Anyway I can enable it through BetterTouchTool or something?

StuBurns

Banned
I have a TS file that is over four gig, I want to split it up by a specific time reference on OS X. If I have to do it on Windows I can, but it's more of a hassle. Anyone know of a piece of software that can help me?

EDIT: Solved, never mind.

Jasoco

Banned
dmshaposv said:
Really is a bugger not be able to use pinch-zoom for Illustrator, unlike Photoshop and Indesign - which I find incredibly intuitive and helpful.

Anyway I can enable it through BetterTouchTool or something?
Well, I think BTT does have a pinch in/pinch out hook. So try attaching those two to the zoom in and zoom out key commands for Illustrator and see if it works. It won't be as elegant, but it may work.

jts

...hate me...
Meus Renaissance said:
Preview doesn't make use of the 'Previous' and 'Next' buttons when viewing images in a folder. Other than iPhoto, is there a good alternative?
You can use the keyboard arrows on preview.

snacknuts

we all knew her
My 160GB HDD is down to about 18GB of free space. Is installing a bigger hard drive as simple as backing everything up in Time Machine, making the swap, installing the OS, and restoring the backup?

Mobius 1

zesty said:
My 160GB HDD is down to about 18GB of free space. Is installing a bigger hard drive as simple as backing everything up in Time Machine, making the swap, installing the OS, and restoring the backup?

Yes.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Thanks for the quick replies. Any recommendations on what kind of HDD I should get? I can't believe how cheap these things are. I'm looking for something ~500GB.

bbagwell

zesty said:
Thanks for the quick replies. Any recommendations on what kind of HDD I should get? I can't believe how cheap these things are. I'm looking for something ~500GB.

I threw a 1TB Western Digital into my iMac about 15 months ago.

jts

...hate me...
Meus Renaissance said:
Can't do it for images
Oh, yes... that preview. Sorry.

I just hit the space bar to launch the finder built-in preview or watchamacallit and then use the keyboard keys.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Meus Renaissance said:
Can't do it for images
You can. I tried it just now in Preview and Quicklook. In fact highlighting specific files and then entering Quicklook allows you to just scroll though just those images.

mrkgoo

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What do you lose by restore through time machine? I'm pretty sure that's how I switched my hard drive and never really noticed anything being wrong.

I,ve followed time machine for a while now. There's a time machine plist that tracks what is and what isn't backed up. Oer time weird things have appeared there. For example, I swear time machine used to NOT backup iPhone application build folders as part of Xcode (I guess to prevent getting swamped with run time builds). I notice this no longer happens. So if you've had time machine for a while, it may still not do that as the folders will have been added to the 'don't back up' list.

Other things don't get backed up as part of the software anyway (they moved some not to backup items out of the plist and into the program itsel, I guess). These are mostly things like cache. But for example, I use Aperture, and i'm pretty sure the thumbnail folder is not backed up - it just gets rebuilt next time I open aperture. I rebuilt my thumnail folder the other day, and it took 20 hours or so last time, so sometimes you might want to use another backup program just to avoid this kind of thing.

There is an inherent issue when using cloning copies as well. For example, I used super duper to clone a so-called perfect drive for swapping once - it gave the hd a new uuid, however, and this stuffed up some software. Aperture, for example, unlinked all my iphoto referenced photos, because it thought the hard drive those files were on was disconnected, although it only changed uuid. It was a nightmare, because there also happened t be a ug in aperture at the time that prevented relinking.

drkOne

Meus Renaissance said:
Can't do it for images
You have to select the images you want to browse through.
If you just open one image (double-click) you won't be able to use arrows to navigate. Select the first one, hold shift, select the last one, Cmd+O. Now you should be able to browse through the images using arrow keys.

Jasoco

Banned
bbagwell said:
Definitely recommend. I don't even use Time Machine. Bootable backups trump Time Machine backups anyway. You can use both if you have the means, but I always bet on a clone first. The scenario:

Your HD dies in your iMac/MacBook/Whatever.

Plug in your clone and boot from it.

Continue working as if nothing happened.

When the new drive arrives, install it and clone back onto it from your clone.

Reboot onto new drive and continue working like nothing happened.

I've had to do this a few times. CCC has saved my bacon and my ham and my potatoes many times. Once when I even lost two drives at once. (Thank goodness I keep redundant backups)

If you have a desktop, just keep the clone connected to the machine.

If you have a laptop you have a few options for CCC:

1) Plug the drive into the laptop daily and have a CCC schedule set to "backup when target is reconnected" then disconnect the drive when done. This will give you a recent backup up to when you plugged it in. You will lose anything you haven't saved elsewhere during the day though.

2) If you have a second Mac, any Mac really as long as it's G3 or G4 or Intel, you can use CCC's "Network backup" feature. It takes a little more work to get set up, but it is what I use. I have mine set to back up everything (Excluding unneeded Cache files and temp files that would only waste time being backed up since the OS doesn't need them and will recreate them next time) every 3 hours. Every 180 minutes CCC pops up in the background and refreshes my backup across the network to my Mac mini workhorse. I used to use a G4 mini and it worked just as well. You can use this method if you have any secondary Macs that are always on and connected to the network. Whether they're machines you use or not. Even if it's a family members iMac or Mac Pro. Or even if it's an old laptop you replaced. Hell, got a few hundred bucks, buy an old mini off eBay. Then connect it to the network and your drive to the mini and set it up as a backup server. By using THIS method you get a more recent "snapshot" of your work in case the HD dies. In fact, sometimes when a HD is dying, you can tell and can run the backup immediately to refresh it then sit back while the drive screams its final curse to the world. Then just reboot onto the clone and pretend it didn't happen while you order a replacement.

A good idea if you don't have an extra computer is to just buy a portable HD of the same size of your internal laptop drive (If you have a laptop). Then use it as your backup. Set CCC to backup every few hours, but tell it to "ignore if the drive is missing" and you can keep it connected to the machine without being tethered to a desk. I have a drive I use for backing up and storing other files like big Parallels Virtual Machines and other huge files I don't need with me at all times. (I back that stuff up separately as well of course.)

My setup is elaborate, yours doesn't have to be. Just a simple external HD, a copy of CCC and an optional networked Mac is all you need.

Ashhong

zesty said:

I'm guessing you have a laptop? I recommend Western Digital Scorpio Blue. They are fast, quiet and relatively cheap. I have the Black myself but the fan is a bit loud. Blue is quiet though.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Ashhong said:
I'm guessing you have a laptop? I recommend Western Digital Scorpio Blue. They are fast, quiet and relatively cheap. I have the Black myself but the fan is a bit loud. Blue is quiet though.

Yeah, it's a Macbook I bought in early 2008. I'll look into the Blue.

dmshaposv

wtf

my macs battery life has taken quite an unexpected hit since doing some final cut stuff.

I was getting around 6 hrs + battery with low brightness/no keyboard lights/no bluetooth/no wifi/ gfxcardstatus integrated mode and now it is giving me only 2:25 hrs from 100% charge. :/ (just while using the computer normally using text docs)

I'm losing 1%-2% per minute. What happened - this thing is only 2 weeks old. Even coconut battery is reporting 100% charge capacity

Checked activity monitor and the thing consuming most memory is safari at 201mb. Everything else is below that. Is some bg process happening that im not aware?

dmshaposv

Restarting helped. too much space was being allocated to inactive programs (2GB) and now its back to normal (more memory allocated to user). Possibly some inactive task from final cut draining the battery that fast?

Very odd.

I've started using Mail, and it is really good especially smart mailboxes.

At the moment I'm teaching in south Korea and I've set up a smart mailbox for my different classes of students. Whenever I mail out I use my Address Book, where I have the romanized version of their names stored. Unfortunately when they mail me it shows the Korean/Hangul of their name. Is there anyway to rectify this? ie. incoming mail checks my Address Book for names and uses them?

drkOne

Mac GAF, need your opinion...

11" vs 13" Macbook Air
I'm going for the 128GB, 4GB, 1.6GHz/1.86GHz.
I'm looking for something that will replace the iPad as I'm giving mine to my mom as she has been loving using it recently.

Browse, Twitter, Adium, Mail, RSS feeds, some basic coding when I need to on the go.

Have a Windows desktop already, so the MBA will be a secondary computer (hey, I got along fine with an iPad).

I'm pretty much set on the 11" because of how used I am to the iPad's portability, and its specs are enough for what I need.
My biggest fear is the 11" screen... I've already had a 13" Macbook and I know that size is the maximum I'd go for right now, I also know that it works well enough for all those things.
I'm not so sure about the 11", and just wanted to know if anyone ever felt like it was a little bit too short for the basic stuff I'm looking for.

RS4-

A friend is offering up his what I believe is a 2009 MBP. I don't know the size or specs, what I do know is that the screen is cracked.

If i get a black screen on boot up, could I just hook up a secondary display and get by with that in the meantime until I get it fixed? Or am I out of luck and that the monitor might not be enabled by default unless I do it via settings?

Ashhong

RS4- said:
A friend is offering up his what I believe is a 2009 MBP. I don't know the size or specs, what I do know is that the screen is cracked.

If i get a black screen on boot up, could I just hook up a secondary display and get by with that in the meantime until I get it fixed? Or am I out of luck and that the monitor might not be enabled by default unless I do it via settings?

I believe as long as the computer boots up, plug in a monitor and the MBP should detect it right away and show on the screen. Is the screen just cracked or nonfunctional? How much does he want?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
RS4- said:

It depends, some monitors aren't immediately recognized, most are though. For me, it worked best thus far when I plugged the secondary monitor in after bootup. But anyway, don't worry, it should usually "just work".

edgefusion

Defragging will work. To partition your hard drive you need one continuous block of space in however many gigabytes you want the partition to be. If it's failing it's because you don't have a continuous block and need to defrag which will sort everything out into a neat pile.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
15$ for a defrag program? :\
Gonna try my luck with that youtube video's advice first.

Top Bottom