• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Jasoco

Banned
Honestly, I think Favorites is just a remnant from OS 9. Does anyone even know it's in the Library folder let alone know it exists?

hirokazu

Jasoco said:
Honestly, I think Favorites is just a remnant from OS 9. Does anyone even know it's in the Library folder let alone know it exists?
Wow, I didn't even know about this. On inspection, it seems the locations in the Favorite Servers list in the Connect to Server dialog (Cmd+K in Finder) is stored there, so I guess it does have at least one use in OS X.

Just thought I'd ask here. Made a poster in Pages. Exported it in .pdf. Wanna make a .jpeg version of it for Facebook/website. I know how to do it, but I wanna do it without any loss of quality. Is that possible?

Mik2121

I just got my first Mac ever! It's this year's MacBook Pro 15" 2.0Ghz. Not the best 15" model out there but it works awesome for what I'm using it for (light 3d and 2d work when I'm not at home, plus sometimes the iPad (1st gen) gets a bit short when checking websites and chatting while on the sofa.. :p).

Anyway, as I said, this is the first time I use a Mac, and the first time with a MacOS (I've 'used' it earlier, but not this much...). I'm seriously loving it, and the quality of this laptop is just amazing.

I will be reading this thread later today, but meanwhile... I saw a link to most 'must have' free apps posted in one of the Mac threads here (I swore it was here). I can't find it now so could someone that knows what I'm talking about, post it again?

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Mik2121 said:
I will be reading this thread later today, but meanwhile... I saw a link to most 'must have' free apps posted in one of the Mac threads here (I swore it was here). I can't find it now so could someone that knows what I'm talking about, post it again?

Perian, Flip4Mac free, Growl, Adium, Burn, UnRarX, Chrome, GrandPerspective, Dropbox, Transmit, Steam, Transmission, Evernote.

edit: ^^ That.

My machine is acting strangely whenever it wakes up. I told you guys about the smb connection to my Windows PC being lost whenever my Mac came out of sleep. Now, it won't even connect to my router.

qx2ck2.png

I have to restart the Airport or restart the machine to get it to work.

Maybe someone here can help me, the HDD in my 13 inch MBP died a couple of weeks ago. Put in a new Hard Drive and when I tried to reinstall Snow Leopard I kept getting an error saying "POSIX Report: Cannot allocate memory". So I took it to an Apple Store and had a "Genius" look at it, he told me the replacement Hard Drive I bought was also dead so I exchanged it, put the new one in and I still get the same error.

HALP?

Burger

The Main Event said:
Just thought I'd ask here. Made a poster in Pages. Exported it in .pdf. Wanna make a .jpeg version of it for Facebook/website. I know how to do it, but I wanna do it without any loss of quality. Is that possible?

Just open the PDF in Preview, Save As, File Type: Jpeg.

It will allow you to change the resolution and quality.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hey dudes! Not quite a software question, but I need a new fan for my Feb2007 MBP!
Is this the right one?

http://www.macproonline.com/MacBook...2422GHz/MacBook-Pro-15-2422GHz-p7751424.html#

I think it should work, but the thing says that it's for the revision after mine. I can't imagine the internals changed that much, but I want to make sure that this one will work as intended.

Also, is there a better place to buy Mac parts? I searched on Newegg but didn't see what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Ok, so actually this is the exact one I need. Cool.
http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Model-A1211-Right-Fan/IF185-046

Do I need to do the whole thermal paste thing?

Kjellson

How big difference is there between "Glossy Widescreen Display" and "Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display"? Is it worth to pay extra for the Hi-Res?

jts

...hate me...
Kjellson said:
How big difference is there between "Glossy Widescreen Display" and "Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display"? Is it worth to pay extra for the Hi-Res?
The difference is about 1/3 more pixels so yes, absolutely, but it'll always depend on your priorities.

But I mean, if you want the 15", you probably value your screen real estate, maybe specs too, so yeah, I wouldn't skip on the superior res
go the extra mile and get the antiglare option too :p

Duderz

Banned
Can anyone help me with how to block certain websites on Safari with the Admin account? I downloaded AdBlock because apparently you can "trick" the program into blocking entire websites, but I haven't found a good tutorial on how to do so.

Burger said:
Just open the PDF in Preview, Save As, File Type: Jpeg.

It will allow you to change the resolution and quality.

Yeah I tried different settings but fine letters won't show up properly. Guess I'll have to modify it if I wanna make it jpeg friendly.

Ashhong

Kjellson said:

I would say no matter what screen size you are getting that yes, hi-res is worth it. This isn't something you can change your mind about later. I would kill to have a higher res on my 13"

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Duderz said:
Can anyone help me with how to block certain websites on Safari with the Admin account? I downloaded AdBlock because apparently you can "trick" the program into blocking entire websites, but I haven't found a good tutorial on how to do so.
Do you only wanna block the site on Safari or from the whole computer? If it's the latter, you can edit the host file to block the site from the whole computer. If you just wanna block it on Safari I think you can block specific sites by turning on Parental Controls under System Preferences.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Been having trouble with my macbook gonna be going to the apple store tomorrow. Problem I am having is it keeps shutting down at random times and my sounds really loud. Hopefully it doesn't cost me a lot to fix.

Burger

smokeymicpot said:
Been having trouble with my macbook gonna be going to the apple store tomorrow. Problem I am having is it keeps shutting down at random times and my sounds really loud. Hopefully it doesn't cost me a lot to fix.

Sounds like it's exceeding thermal limits. i.e. it's loud & shutting down to save the ship.

The Main Event said:
Yeah I tried different settings but fine letters won't show up properly. Guess I'll have to modify it if I wanna make it jpeg friendly.

Facebook will further scale and compress your image. There isn't a way around that.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
http://blog.enormego.com/post/4431536513/a-quickshareit-goodbye-2006-2011

We are gathered here today to celebrate the life of a great product: QuickShareIt

Sadly, today we are officially pulling the plug on QuickShareit. As of today new file uploads will be denied and existing files will be slowly purged from our systems as we shut them down in the next 30 days.

QuickShareIt started out as a project in 2006 to solve a trivial problem: Uploading Screenshots Quickly. It was brought into this world as an Mac OS X Automator workflow and evolved into a fully functioning OS X application shortly after. Once you started using QSI, you couldn’t live without it. We loved it and we made thousands of fans very quickly (especially in Germany…who knew!).

1255663426515.gif

Been using it almost since it launched. Love it. I remember when the URLs were named after fruits. ;_;

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa so they just recommended cloudapp.
:OOOO This is the greatest thing ever

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Burger said:
Sounds like it's exceeding thermal limits. i.e. it's loud & shutting down to save the ship.

Facebook will further scale and compress your image. There isn't a way around that.

Anyway I can fix this on my own?

Burger

smokeymicpot said:
Anyway I can fix this on my own?

Do you have any thermal paste? Follow the "Logic Board Replacement" guide for your relevant model at iFixit.com and remove the logic board. Use rubbing alcohol or similar to clean the gunk off the CPU/GPU dies and copper heatsink pads, reapply a *tiny* rice grain amount of paste, and put it back together.

If it's under warranty or Apple Care, just take it to the Apple store.

SnakeXs said:
Yeah, it was even in enermo's goodbye message.

My menubar ADD, and the fact that it copies non direct image URLs (that go to their little page) aside, this could work.

Thanks.

Ah didn't notice they recommended it. =)

Just to warn you there's a 10 uploads daily limit if you're using a free account. I pretty much never upload more than 10 things a day so it's fine for me. What I really like is that there's no compression on image uploads and no ads.

Edit: Yes Droplr is great as well. Actually you'll probably like it better.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Burger said:
Do you have any thermal paste? Follow the "Logic Board Replacement" guide for your relevant model at iFixit.com and remove the logic board. Use rubbing alcohol or similar to clean the gunk off the CPU/GPU dies and copper heatsink pads, reapply a *tiny* rice grain amount of paste, and put it back together.

If it's under warranty or Apple Care, just take it to the Apple store.

I will just take it to the apple store. I am not under warranty hopefully it doesn't cost me to much. Was thinking about upgrading to a pro at the end of the year anyway.

Burger

smokeymicpot said:
I will just take it to the apple store. I am not under warranty hopefully it doesn't cost me to much. Was thinking about upgrading to a pro at the end of the year anyway.

Well... if it's not under warranty I wouldn't bother, except they may be able to diagnose it for free.

A phillips screwdriver and a little patience is cheaper than several hundred dollars though :)

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Burger said:
Well... if it's not under warranty I wouldn't bother, except they may be able to diagnose it for free.

A phillips screwdriver and a little patience is cheaper than several hundred dollars though :)
I am hoping I can luck out and they can some how help me out for free.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Just came back from Apple store it is gonna cost me 100 bucks for a new battery plus they are gonna fix the plastic all around the macbook for free. Not sure how they are gonna fix that though.

Meus Renaissance said:
My machine is acting strangely whenever it wakes up. I told you guys about the smb connection to my Windows PC being lost whenever my Mac came out of sleep. Now, it won't even connect to my router.

I have to restart the Airport or restart the machine to get it to work.
My iMac has been doing this for a while now, it'll find my router but doesn't know the password for whatever reason...if I just restart airport a couple times it usually connects. :S

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm trying to get some clips from a jvc everio camcorder into an iMovie project. The files are in the .mod format :( What's the best way to do so?

hirokazu

firehawk12 said:
I'm trying to disable Spotlight for external drives and came across this solution:
http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?t=115021

But I noticed that the internal hard drive is also listed in /Volumes... so I'm wondering, if I put /Volumes into the Privacy settings of Spotlight, would that disable Spotlight entirely? Or does it know enough not to touch any new volumes in /Volumes?
The mount point for the boot volume is /

I'm pretty sure the entry under /Volumes/ is just an alias, so it should be no problem.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
hirokazu said:
The mount point for the boot volume is /

I'm pretty sure the entry under /Volumes/ is just an alias, so it should be no problem.
Hrm, alrighty. Is there anyway to check if it's still indexing my boot drive just to be sure?

Ashhong

Finally installed DropBox after having an invite in my inbox for almost 3 years now. This thing is awesome. I doubt it was always this great but damn...I need to get with the times.

edit: wow Cloud is cool too...

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Ashhong said:
Finally installed DropBox after having an invite in my inbox for almost 3 years now. This thing is awesome. I doubt it was always this great but damn...I need to get with the times.

Yeah, Dropbox is awesome. I have my complete Documents folder backed up using a symlink. It's so great, especially how it saves several versions of the files for you.

Ashhong

Ok suddenly my CloudApp doesnt work. I was just clicking around and I dont know what I did. I cant drag anything to the menubar icon, and when I go to accounts in the preferences my info isnt there and I cant add my info. What the heck?

edit: nvm, just relaunched it and it works again :)

Meus Renaissance said:
So good

EDIT: Doesnt work with gifs

GIFs working here

edit: any way to make it so i can drag a file to the dropbox icon on the menubar?

bananas

Banned
Ashhong said:
Ok suddenly my CloudApp doesnt work. I was just clicking around and I dont know what I did. I cant drag anything to the menubar icon, and when I go to accounts in the preferences my info isnt there and I cant add my info. What the heck?

edit: nvm, just relaunched it and it works again :)

GIFs working here

There's a 10 a day limit on free accounts I believe.

edit: nvm you edited

Ashhong said:

Dropbox has been that awesome this whole time. You've missed out.

It's fucking great for work so you can have your work files on your home computer, and it also works as version control for your work files too.

Ashhong

I dont have a job where I would save to a computer but I can see how that would be awesome. I am mainly using it to share files between my phone and computer and just that is awesome. Before my only options were SSHing into my phone or plugging it into the USB. Now I just drop it into the Dropbox folder, open Dropbox on my phone and BAM.

I know this isnt OSX specific but damn, its so awesome.

I'm cleaning up my Mac at the moment, and I saw that GarageBand is over a gig in size. I don't think I will ever use it but if I remove it can I redownload it? It's about £20 on the app store, which makes me hesitant to get rid of it.

giga

travisbickle said:
I'm cleaning up my Mac at the moment, and I saw that GarageBand is over a gig in size. I don't think I will ever use it but if I remove it can I redownload it? It's about £20 on the app store, which makes me hesitant to get rid of it.
iLife is on the second disc that came with your mac.

Top Bottom